Tweezerman Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

4.3

on 11/29/2007 8:51:00 PM

Sometimes I really hate this tool because it's so addictive. If I'm not careful I wake up with cysts. And if I try to pop a pimple with this, it will still scar. But this works really well for blackheads. I used to have so many that I would be really embarassed and some people would comment on them. But now, people can barely even see my blackheads and say my skin is pretty clear. The one I have is different from the one pictured..mine is circular rather than rectangular. The flat end is for blackheads and the other end is for whiteheads. I found that the whitehead end doesn't work so I use the blackhead side..but like I said before, popping whiteheads with this thing still causes it to bleed and scar. It is best to use this right after showering or steaming your face to open up your pores. If you don't, you have to press really hard which can damage your skin. The first time I used this, I went overboard and woke up with super dry skin, which I got rid of by gently exfloliating and moisturizing. It's best not to use this before you go out unless you want to go out with red dents on your face.

on 11/24/2007 4:05:00 PM

This tool really works. It's easy to use, and quite addictive. It gets rid of blackheads really well, I do think, however, that once you start you have to keep it up or else the blackheads look worse than ever!

on 11/16/2007 11:48:00 AM

Actually, I'm reviewing the exact same tool manufactured by Denco from my local beauty supply. Cost: $9.50. It's made of stainless steel, has two ends, one large and flat; the other small and angled. It's substantially cheaper than Sephora's and the exact same thing. It easily extracts pus-pimples, which I get around my nose.
I'll admit that after I bought this product -hoping it would help with my whitehead problem - I was left feeling confused. There is minimal instructions on packaging. After reading reviews here, looked on Tweezerman.com website. They offer useful instructions. I quote: "Thin angled loop to roll out mature whiteheads and a flat side to press out blackheads." The key is MATURE whiteheads. Unless they're on the surface, they won't be extracted. You'll wind up with dented and red skin!
: (

So, this product is quite effective when used properly.

on 11/15/2007 9:58:00 PM

This item is a very important part of my skin regime. I have naturally large pores on my t-zone and they are always getting clogged. A few times each week, I use this at night after I wash my face. I never use the big flat end, but I use the small end and gently press out the gunk from the pores on my nose and chin. It is very satisfying and can get addictive.

An esthetician actually recommended this. I was seeing her every few months, but she had to perform so many extractions each time, that she told me to come twice a month. Then she realized that no matter how often I came, I still was getting clogged, so she told me to gently steam and extract at home a few times a week. Now when I go for facials (not often) they comment on how clear my skin is!

When I was using regular moisturizers, I would get a lot more stuff out. I switched to a jojoba oil-only routine and now I need to use this tool much less often. If I use sunscreen, I absolutely have to use this at night or I will wake up to a sea of milia.

A great purchase for someone whose skin gets clogged easily like mine.

on 11/15/2007 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

A lot of these reviews have been so grossly delightful to read! Why is a successfully purged pore somehow the most disgusting, triumphant, awe-inspiring, sickly satisfying thing ever??? It's so funny! I'm really glad I'm not the only one!

But seriously, I just want to warn people: if you have an addictive personality, if you're a perfectionist, and if you obsess over your skin, do NOT buy this product (or if you do, be really careful). I say this because I have struggled with Dermatillamania (also known as Compulsive Skin Picking or CSP) for the past three years, and it is HELL. This is relevant because anything that encourages close inspection of pores (or even worse, the physical manipulation of pores!) would be a possible trigger for developing Dermatillamania, or exacerbate the condition if you already have it. Reading through people's reviews, some of the comments sounded exactly like stuff I would have said/been enthusiastic about before I developed full-blown CSP.

A little about Compulsive Skin Picking: It's an OCD-spectrum disorder (and I've had various mild OCD symptoms my entire life), it's most common in women, and begins in late teens/twenties, generally. It's basically the same thing as Trichotillamania (sp.?) (that disorder where people can't stop pulling out their hair strand by strand), just a different manifestation. It's different from "normal" skin picking because it is an uncontrollable compulsion that overtakes one's life (but CSPer's always start out as "normal" skin pickers). I'm finally starting to get my CSP under control (knock on wood), but at my worst, I'd spend hours and hours each day picking at / examining my skin, and my skin was always a mess of raw open wounds (and ironically, I don't have bad skin-- if I hadn't gone looking for things to extract, my skin would have appeared flawless most of the time).

So yeah, sorry this isn't exactly a review of the blackhead extractor (which I do highly recommend by the way, if you're sure you won't get carried away). I mean, it's not like any particular tool CAUSED my CSP, but some tools can be waaaaay too "helpful" if you don't know when to stop. I threw away all my tweezers/blackhead extractors/etc. after about a year with CSP, and it helped a lot simply because I can do a whole lot less damage with only my fingers as tools. Of course, even fingers can wreak plenty of havoc if you're determined/compulsive enough. So I finally got fake nails a few weeks ago, and now my grip is so inprecise that I can't really skin-pick anymore (as well as do a lot of other little things, but it's SOOO worth it if it stops me from ruining my face every day!).

*****UPDATE****** I found a way to stop picking and haven't done so in over 6 months. If you'd like to know how I did it, send me a message!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have had my Tweezerman extractor for years and will DIE if it ever is lost, stolen, or broken. Nothing else can remove blackheads and clogged pores like this thing can. I use the smaller loop for almost everything. Doesn't damage my skin or inflame pimples at all the way I use it. Leaves a red mark that disappears within 5 minutes or so.

on 10/24/2007 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I cannot live without this tool. I use this thing all the time. Sephora makes one too, but it's way more expensive. I prefer these kind that have the double-ended loop opposed to the lance on one end. I find that a sterile needle works better and is much less painful than the lance on the Sephora extractor (they make a double-ended loop one too though). If you breakout at all, you need this skincare tool!!

on 10/11/2007 5:34:00 PM

I have had this tool for a while now, but I don't how to make it work! I have read other rewievs and instructions on how to use it but nothing happens with my blackheads/blemishes. I always end up using my hands and then the blackhead comes right out. I wich I could make this work because I don't like the red marks on my skin after I have used my hands..

This thing is only better than my fingers with blackheads on the creases of my nose, where I can't access very well by myself. Otherwise, my fingers do a better job of popping whiteheads and sometimes blackheads if they aren't too small. I think the trick with this is not to use it as it says in the instructions: don't put the loop OVER the blackhead, put the tip next to the blackhead and "scoop" it out.

on 8/16/2007 4:51:00 PM

use this all the time. perfect for getting those little blackheads from the side of your nose where it meets your cheek.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools