April 18, 2014 | 918 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Tweezerman - Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2007 11:48:00 AM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Actually, I'm reviewing the exact same tool manufactured by Denco from my local beauty supply. Cost: $9.50. It's made of stainless steel, has two ends, one large and flat; the other small and angled. It's substantially cheaper than Sephora's and the exact same thing. It easily extracts pus-pimples, which I get around my nose.
I'll admit that after I bought this product -hoping it would help with my whitehead problem - I was left feeling confused. There is minimal instructions on packaging. After reading reviews here, looked on Tweezerman.com website. They offer useful instructions. I quote: "Thin angled loop to roll out mature whiteheads and a flat side to press out blackheads." The key is MATURE whiteheads. Unless they're on the surface, they won't be extracted. You'll wind up with dented and red skin!
: (

So, this product is quite effective when used properly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2007 9:58:00 PM More reviews by shyviolet

This item is a very important part of my skin regime. I have naturally large pores on my t-zone and they are always getting clogged. A few times each week, I use this at night after I wash my face. I never use the big flat end, but I use the small end and gently press out the gunk from the pores on my nose and chin. It is very satisfying and can get addictive.

An esthetician actually recommended this. I was seeing her every few months, but she had to perform so many extractions each time, that she told me to come twice a month. Then she realized that no matter how often I came, I still was getting clogged, so she told me to gently steam and extract at home a few times a week. Now when I go for facials (not often) they comment on how clear my skin is!

When I was using regular moisturizers, I would get a lot more stuff out. I switched to a jojoba oil-only routine and now I need to use this tool much less often. If I use sunscreen, I absolutely have to use this at night or I will wake up to a sea of milia.

A great purchase for someone whose skin gets clogged easily like mine.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2007 12:37:00 PM More reviews by karreyberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A lot of these reviews have been so grossly delightful to read! Why is a successfully purged pore somehow the most disgusting, triumphant, awe-inspiring, sickly satisfying thing ever??? It's so funny! I'm really glad I'm not the only one!

But seriously, I just want to warn people: if you have an addictive personality, if you're a perfectionist, and if you obsess over your skin, do NOT buy this product (or if you do, be really careful). I say this because I have struggled with Dermatillamania (also known as Compulsive Skin Picking or CSP) for the past three years, and it is HELL. This is relevant because anything that encourages close inspection of pores (or even worse, the physical manipulation of pores!) would be a possible trigger for developing Dermatillamania, or exacerbate the condition if you already have it. Reading through people's reviews, some of the comments sounded exactly like stuff I would have said/been enthusiastic about before I developed full-blown CSP.

A little about Compulsive Skin Picking: It's an OCD-spectrum disorder (and I've had various mild OCD symptoms my entire life), it's most common in women, and begins in late teens/twenties, generally. It's basically the same thing as Trichotillamania (sp.?) (that disorder where people can't stop pulling out their hair strand by strand), just a different manifestation. It's different from "normal" skin picking because it is an uncontrollable compulsion that overtakes one's life (but CSPer's always start out as "normal" skin pickers). I'm finally starting to get my CSP under control (knock on wood), but at my worst, I'd spend hours and hours each day picking at / examining my skin, and my skin was always a mess of raw open wounds (and ironically, I don't have bad skin-- if I hadn't gone looking for things to extract, my skin would have appeared flawless most of the time).

So yeah, sorry this isn't exactly a review of the blackhead extractor (which I do highly recommend by the way, if you're sure you won't get carried away). I mean, it's not like any particular tool CAUSED my CSP, but some tools can be waaaaay too "helpful" if you don't know when to stop. I threw away all my tweezers/blackhead extractors/etc. after about a year with CSP, and it helped a lot simply because I can do a whole lot less damage with only my fingers as tools. Of course, even fingers can wreak plenty of havoc if you're determined/compulsive enough. So I finally got fake nails a few weeks ago, and now my grip is so inprecise that I can't really skin-pick anymore (as well as do a lot of other little things, but it's SOOO worth it if it stops me from ruining my face every day!).

*****UPDATE****** I found a way to stop picking and haven't done so in over 6 months. If you'd like to know how I did it, send me a message!

55 out of 64 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by camillacamilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had my Tweezerman extractor for years and will DIE if it ever is lost, stolen, or broken. Nothing else can remove blackheads and clogged pores like this thing can. I use the smaller loop for almost everything. Doesn't damage my skin or inflame pimples at all the way I use it. Leaves a red mark that disappears within 5 minutes or so.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2007 3:17:00 AM More reviews by INDICAN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I cannot live without this tool. I use this thing all the time. Sephora makes one too, but it's way more expensive. I prefer these kind that have the double-ended loop opposed to the lance on one end. I find that a sterile needle works better and is much less painful than the lance on the Sephora extractor (they make a double-ended loop one too though). If you breakout at all, you need this skincare tool!!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2007 5:34:00 PM More reviews by asaryen

I have had this tool for a while now, but I don't how to make it work! I have read other rewievs and instructions on how to use it but nothing happens with my blackheads/blemishes. I always end up using my hands and then the blackhead comes right out. I wich I could make this work because I don't like the red marks on my skin after I have used my hands..

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2007 6:39:00 PM More reviews by collegestudent88

This thing is only better than my fingers with blackheads on the creases of my nose, where I can't access very well by myself. Otherwise, my fingers do a better job of popping whiteheads and sometimes blackheads if they aren't too small. I think the trick with this is not to use it as it says in the instructions: don't put the loop OVER the blackhead, put the tip next to the blackhead and "scoop" it out.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2007 4:51:00 PM More reviews by xkris

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

use this all the time. perfect for getting those little blackheads from the side of your nose where it meets your cheek.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2007 2:20:00 PM More reviews by alegnagogo

This got rid of blackheads for me, but it also left brown spots that took months to fade.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2007 11:02:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've had mixed results with this tool. I've read the reviews here to get some tips on using it as I thought I must have been using it incorrectly, but I'm still not finding it to be a miracle tool. It's great with 'ripe' blackheads (which are going to come out easily regardless of the tool you use) and it'll get rid of a bit of surface congestion. Maybe I'm just not patient enough to sit there fussing over my skin with this!