April 16, 2014 | 1417 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Hot Tahiti Lipstick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2009 9:40:00 AM More reviews by FabianaFarrow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL, UNIQUE, HEAD-TURNING RED. If you haven't seen "Hot Tahiti" in the flesh, remember this: when people (& Mac Online) use the term "coral red" in trying to describe this remarkable colour, these 2 words do NOT mean "coral" in the drug store-makeup sense of screaming orangey-pink. Not at all! Instead, think of the exquisite red coral beads that both the Navajo/Dineh & the Tibetans use to complement the blue & green turquoise in their best & most valuable sterling silver jewelry: ahhh yes, yes: THAT red -- the soft, warm red of the coral in those unforgettable necklaces, cuffs, rings & headpieces. For that is the type of "coral" that's really described in this ravishing lipstick with the inexplicable name of "Hot Tahiti". And in addition to its warmth there's even a subtle blue note, almost like a soft blue flame, somehow hidden in the depths of this rich & truly singular shade of red, so that "women with complexions of virtually every colour can wear 'Hot Tahiti' ," as several MA's have told me recently, which is why these artists "always keep it to the front" when doing their best work for a client ! For somehow "Hot Tahiti" manages to be both romantic & yet sophisticated, utterly natural & yet unmistakably polished. And talk about "MLBB": Mac's "Hot Tahiti" is also almost identical to the true colour of those remarkable red lips found on the blue eyed/ black-haired/ white-skinned "Black Celtic" children of Ireland & Scotland & Wales. // If you want to go Beyond Memorable & into that category known simply & only as Forever Unforgettable, wear "Hot Tahiti", an eminently wearable colour made for both day & night: certainly 1 of the very most beautiful shades Mac has ever, EVER created. // [NB: Repurchase? Indeed I've already begun my stockpile: for, as many MUA'ers have noted on this site, Mac has the unfortunate habit of quite suddenly discontinuing its most unique & often even most beautiful lipsticks, no matter HOW popular the shades are -- & once you've worn "Hot Tahiti", you just don't ever want to be without it again.]

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by CuriosityWasMerciless

A pretty, every day kind of pink for someone who does not wear pink, like me. :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 9:19:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

Love this lipstick! This is my third one and I NEVER buy the same shade twice! Never say never....

That said, it's the perfect coral red for my lips. Never look over done. Great for day and night. Although I have to prep my lips first with balm for moisture because it's a glaze formula and it's a bit on the dry side, I don't mind it at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 1:14:00 PM More reviews by twillow

I don't generally review a lot of my MAC products because they already get so much love on MUA, but I had to review Hot Tahiti because it is an often overlooked favorite. I agree with other reviewers that it is hard to describe -- I see it described as a brick red, sometimes coral red, some say it's warm, others say it's cool. I have to say "yep" to all of that. I can't describe it exactly except to say it's in the red family and it's hot. I have dark brown hair and blue eyes, a combination that sometimes clashes with red lippies, but this one works great. It can be blotted down to a daytime look or amped up for nighttime. Always love the MAC formulations and smell, so nothing to add there. I can see this color working on a variety of skin tones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by nerdcat

Love this colour!
I bought this because I was drawn to it by some magical siren song that only I could hear "buy me, love me, cherish me!" is sang as I lifted it away from it's less interesting friends in the MAC display.
The colour of this is a very wearable RED. Unlike some other red lipsticks, I dont worry about how this looks if I wear it unchecked for longer than 15 minutes. It blends in so nicely to my lip colour that (although it is rather unnatural looking) it doesn't SCREAM "check out the chick with the crazy red lips!"
I find that I can even apply this colour without a mirror flawlessly... try saying that for any other red colour....
I would totally repurchase, infact I nearly submit to her flitations whenever I'm in MAC looking at Lipstick. It is usually the first one I pick up with the thought "oh, that's pretty I wonder what it is". I fall for it every time.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 9:35:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hot Tahiti is a pretty pinkish, reddish, plum-like color that I purchased along with Plumful, Mocha, O and Chintz. Overall, I don't have a problem with this lipstick fading away, since I use a lip pencil b/f applying my lipsticks. Out of the five l/s I perfer O the best, but I still like Hot Tahiti for versatility. I'm not sure if I would repurchase this one.
A picture is included.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 7:07:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE hot tahiti. It is a great deep pinkish berry colour. It does look a little intense in the tube, but I find it to be very sheer on the lips. The only way I find I can intensify the colour is with a lipliner. Sadly if I don't use a lip liner the colour fades pretty quickly, hence the 4 lippies only. Hot tahiti is a great day look for me and compliments my cool skin tone nicely.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Evanescence_rox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE how versatile this color is. I apply a tiny bit and pat it down and I get a very natural look. I apply a bit more with my 318 retractable lip brush and it's much more noticeable. Given that you apply the right amount, it works for any time of the day. I took off one lippie cause it doesn't have the best staying power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2009 4:00:00 AM More reviews by dlbd2k06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Hot Tahiti. It looks a little scary in the tube, a deep red. It is a glaze formula though, so it goes on more like a sheer berry stain. Beautiful color.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2009 9:58:00 PM More reviews by viciousk

i LOVE this lipstick! it's sort of a reddish-berry color...its bold enough to make a statement but still totally wearable during the day. I am NC30 and i find that it compliments my skin tone very well...I would think that almost anyone would be able to wear this color. The only bad thing I have to say about hot tahiti is that it does not stay on super long...but besides that, love it!!