MAC Satin - Orb

4.4

on 1/31/2009 6:10:00 PM

I was so looking for a nice plain matte base shadow and this seemed to be the better choice among some of the swatches of neutrals that I had swiped on. I was really looking forward to seeing how this worked with my basic day eye palette. And while yes it works, it just pratically molds into my regular old face power. For that kind of money I was hoping to have a least a little bit of a punch of pigment or I should have picked up a plain vanilla colour from a low end brand. I was expecting much more pigement. Should have bought Yogurt instead. And I feel like it doesn't brighten up my eyes as much I had hoped it would.

on 1/8/2009 8:17:00 PM

Orb is very light--a kind of peach yogurt color. If you were BORED by MAC Vanilla (I really don't like it--chalky) then this may work for you. It's a satin finish, meaning less matte but also less frosty than veluxe pearl or frost. Almost matte, is how I'd define it.

The color is very light, again, think Yoplait Peach yogurt. It goes on as a very good light base and works well with Copperplate and other shades.

on 12/22/2008 4:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought Orb sight unseen based on the reviews here. Orb is a peachy/beige, satin finish that is more on the matte side. I use it as a natural all-over lid shade and for blending out darker crease shades. Until I find something better, this one's a keeper.

on 12/19/2008 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my staple eyeshadows. I have NC30 skin, and this colour is absolutely stunning on my lids; especially with a dusty brown in the crease. I usually wear this colour with cat-eye eyeliner, and I've found that it's pretty flattering.

on 9/17/2008 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Orb is a staple in my collection that I use often as a wash underneath my e/s, especially under smokey grays and purples. I don't wear it as a nude because it has a slight pink/peach cast and I prefer a nude e/s with more beige, especially when I'm wearing red lipstick. But this is a great color if you're looking for an everyday pink-toned neutral base shadow.

on 9/14/2008 12:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This was recommended to me by the MA when I was looking for a wash to wear on my lid to wear with Star Violet in the crease. The MA recommended Orb b/c Star Violet has a lot of sparkle, and he said you shouldn't wear a sparkle as a wash if you have sparkle in the crease. Boy, was he right! I was REALLY impressed by this color. Paired with Star Violet in my crease, Orb added a new dimension to my eye. I will be pairing Orb will all my shimmery crease colors from now on. I highly recommend this color!!!

on 8/21/2008 5:26:00 AM

This is the only MAC shadow that has hit the pan from usage that I own. This is a great color to use as a base. The texture is nice and soft. I already bought a back up.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the weirdest wonderful sleeper shadow in my collection. I never would have looked twice at this on my own. A MAC SA tried it on me when I was in a Nordstrom and had asked for a natural looking yet springy eye. I use this all over as a base color, and even though it is close to my skin color, it makes me eyes pop and gives me a finished look. For more drama (last night I went from the movies to an evening pool party) I highlight the brow and inner corner of eyes and use a little black liner on my waterline. This will definitely travel with me during the summer when I want a simple but polished eye.

on 5/13/2008 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Colorwise this is just average.Nothing earth shattering about it. But the texture is horrible! Another Satin finish MAC eye shadow that I ended up hating deeply. Some people said it's pigmented but for me it's just extra 'powdery' if you know what I mean. I have to layer it over and over but it still goes splotchy and uneven.When I use a primer underneath, this particular color makes my lids look too dry and flat. Kudos to the reviewer who said that Orb magnifies the crepiness on eyelids-exactly my problem with it. That being said, it's impossible to wear it alone with black liner. It just doesn't look right. Well then again I'm a perfectionist.

on 3/11/2008 8:24:00 PM

my new base eyeshadow colour. i have very dark brown eyes, brunette hair and light skin. i had been using naked lunch as a base colour but wondered if, as i get older, the shimmer is too much. so the MAC assistent recommended this. it's not too contrasty against my skin but efinitely makes my eyes look polished and bright. i use the naked lunch as a brow highlight now rather than an allover wash. it's not a wow or look at me -- just a good workhorse basic.

Top Rated MAC Products