Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral oil, polybutene, diethylhexl succinnate, polyethylene, quaternium, dextrin palmitate, honey, simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) seed oil, tocopherol, beeswax, butylene glycol, cholestebedrol, lecithin, talc, triethyhexanoin, methylparaben, fragrance. May contain: iron oxides, mica, titanium dioxide.

on 1/4/2012 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in SX-06 and SX-05 and am NC20-25
This has been and still is HG after all these years!

KA SSE has been talked about, became a sensation, went to Sephora, got kicked out, sold at bargain basement but has regained popularity over and over again through many lifetimes of most MUAers.

This product does what it is supposed to do but with panache and finesse. It's full on pigment and not for those who want sheered out, easy to smear on type of product. SSE will weed the impatient and land in the hands and hearts of those who will endure the learning curve of this precious product of it's dear creator, the one and only Mr. Kevyn Aucoin himself! lol.

I use it as concealer on most occasions and apply it with Laura Mercier SC brush. Any brush with a fine tip will do. I dot the teeniest bit on the blemish and pat it in. The heat from the finger and patting will fuse it to skin.

I also use it for the under eyes by adding a bit of Clarins instant light to brighten, apply and set it with LaMer loose powder. Works like a charm!

SSE is a foundation and a brilliant one, provided that you apply it properly. It just takes patience and practice. No real tricks.

I will never be without this until technology and science create a new formula that will revolutionize base makeup as KA SSE has in bringing pro level pigment to the masses! This stuff is the real deal.

on 12/26/2011 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this way back in 2005 and I tried it and didn't like it and it sat in a drawer. I'd pull it out every so often and use it as a concealer and it was okay. And then the other day, after I applied my sunscreen, I used my Sephora mineral foundation brush, lightly dipped it into the jar and then placed the brush where I wanted the most coverage, and then I buffed this stuff all over my face. Voila, perfect flawless coverage.
Look, this is not rocket science. I've been reading some of the reviews and OMG, it's like reading a chem lab experiment with the way some people apply this stuff. "First I use SX01, SX02, SX03, SX04 and I warm it up over a bunsen burner then I apply a thin layer of electro-plated gold serum to cover my pores and then I face north and make a small offering to the Gods...."
Seriously, it's a heavily pigmented foundation. Thin it out however it works for you. But definitely give it a chance. And it shouldn't take you an hour to apply this stuff. It's a foundation, not a ritual. Now that I know a little more of what I'm doing this stuff gives the best coverage, like real skin only better.

on 12/26/2011 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

i ordered this off their dermstore website without really being sure as to which shade i matched. since im medium with strong yellow undertones,i decided to get sx 8 and sx 11. lucky for me,sx8 was a perfect match and sx11 was my cousin's shade. we initially struggled with application techniques and dint quite get it right. i tried using my hand,brush,blender sponge,nothing worked the way i wanted it to. i tend to have dry-oily skin and hence had to moisturize a lot before applying to make it look not caky only to have it pool around my pores in an hour. not pretty. and then on somebodies recommendation,i tried mixing my h20 gel moisturizer with it. nu-uh. shouldve never done that. and then,by a complete total accident,i found the perfect base. aloe vera gel!! the pure gel with almost no additives is amazing. i use the green leaf one. its 98% pure and has a thick gel consistency. i use my concealer brush to pick up about a drop of the gel and mix it in with about a rice grain worth of my sse. say,sse to gel ratio would be 1:4. mixes really well and you have a perfect tinted moisturizer for oily skin with huge pores. it covers all my acne marks except the really dark ones. once this layer dries,i take very very little sse on my finger tips and just tap onto the very obvious scars. voila,perfect skin. this works really well for me and my cousin. she has very dry skin and moisturizes before application. i can see the tiny pot lasting us ages with this stuff. will definitely recommend!

for reference,i'm shade nc 35-40 ish in mac. and my cousin is nc 45ish(both with strong yellow undertones). sx 8 and sx11 match us pretty well.

EDIT - I'v been using this for a while now and though it still is the best foundation/concealer iv ever owned,i found that it doesnt really work on active cystic breakouts. its great for covering even really blah scars and red spots and works on even bumpy(lol) zits but not on cystic acne. it tends to exacerbate flakiness around the pimple and doesnt cover very well. i use a more moisturizing concealer for that.
but if you dont have any dry spots,this will be perfect for you.

on 10/9/2011 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I've used other foundations, always looking for something better, but keep coming back to this....THERE IS NOTHING BETTER. Trust. A tiny bit with MAC Fix + with foundation brush and the look is flawless. Set with a little mineral powder from MAC and you are good to go. If you need a little more around eye area, do it but let the first round settle you may not even need it. I hope they never stop selling this stuff. It truly is the best.

on 9/6/2011 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

If I could merit paying $40 bucks for this product...I would. It covers everything with just one tap. No large amounts needed. Which means one little pot will last you a very long time ...and not only that. Cost per wear (if this is the only concealer you use) will definitely be less than a dollar a day ....much much less. This covers, undereye circles, lid darkness, spots...you name it, it does it. I think dermablend coverage but a much more luxurious feel (I have had Dermablend before...so trust me...this is a little bit creamier). But please, please, PLEASE, set with a powder. For reference, I use shade SX11 and I am a MAC NC42, Bobbi Brown #5 Honey, Guerlain #23.

on 8/22/2011 8:49:00 PM

I'm never . Ever . Never without a concealer . I have been through becca, Mac, prescriptive, touché éclat, blah blah blah .. This is a holy grail of a concealer . Doesn't break me out . Lightens my undereye shadows, the dark purple-ish area around the nose and under my chin, covers a few zits . the best part is the transparency as praised in others' reviews, I.e., your skin, but sensually and beautifully enhanced . Very light hands and little product is required .

on 5/21/2011 8:45:00 PM

What a waste of money -_-

I was excited to get this because of the reviews on makeupalley but honestly, this is way too drying and its SUPER pigmented. Therefore its too pigmented that it looks yellowish green which i don't like. Also, its super expensive. i mean kevyn aucoin you were an awesome person but this product is a no no.

PROS:
-Cute pot

CONS:
-Not enough coverage
-Drying
-color is too yellowish green

Will not repurchase and will not recommend

on 5/1/2011 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I love this! Im a NC50 for reference and I use SX13 as a concealer for my under eye area, SX14 mixed with Mac's F&B mixing medium, and SX15 as a contour. Its so creamy, coverage is great, and it blends like a dream! Great stuff!

on 3/7/2011 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is amazing at covering my eye circles, it's the only concealer that I have ever owned to cover them. I like to mix it with moisturizer before applying to any acne. If I am having a really bad skin day, I often mix a little into my liquid, medium coverage foundation to give the coverage a boost. For what I paid, I think it's well worth it. I've had the pot for almost two years and have just made a dent into it. I don't like the pot, as I don't like sticking my fingers into it; or any pot for that matter. I typically use a small spatula or stick to get some out and then work with it from there. This is by far my favorite concealer.

on 2/4/2011 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really hate this. Definitely the worst product I have ever used. Don't buy it without trying. I guess it only works with extremely perfect skin.It exaggerates all possible problems of your skin. I have slightly dry skin and I used it over rich moistrizer, primer etc. and nothing worked.

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products