November 27, 2014 | 1359 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Pinkify

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'll start off by saying that I have really sensitive skin; a lot of facial cleansers I use tend to burn, break me out, etc. I've been using this product now for a solid 7 weeks, sometimes both morning and night, and I really like it. My skin (usually a headache) has been very consistently smooth, and it does a good job cleaning off dirt and makeup. I haven't had any problems with any residue leftover, so I think the key is moderation- a little of this is all you need.

I'm almost completely out of this now, and will be switching to another cleanser that I've had sitting around for a while, but I would definitely repurchase this product in the future.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2010 11:51:00 PM More reviews by hummingfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another favorite from Burt's Bees. This cleanser feels and and smells great, and removes most dirt and makeup. It's weaker than the Soap Bark deep cleansing cream I'm using now but I may go back to it after I'm done with my current tube - switching cleansers and toners occasionally seems to work best for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2010 9:46:00 AM More reviews by rikasmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The orange smell is kind of strong and I'm not sure if this really did anything. My skin didn't feel particularly cleansed after using this product. Disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by AlexaElisabetta

I remember using this product a few years ago as a teen when I had really quite beautiful skin. Then BAM I turned 18 and my flawless skin turned really irritated, red and pimply. I began experimenting with many different products and supplements to help fix my skin but most of them only made it worse (including BC pills).

Recently (at almost 20 yo) my skin has been getting better and better (whether by using better products, or simply growing out the acne, I don't know) but after looking through some pictures of myself as a teen with beautiful skin, I was reminded of this cleanser and went and bought a tube at my local Organic Store.

OH MY GOD am I ever glad I did! I have been using this cleanser again for about a week, and this, in combination with my Jason Vitamin e Cream has been transforming my skin!

What I do is wet my face and massage slightly more than a pea-sized amount of this cleanser in to my face. I massage for about 30 seconds-1 minute, and then let it sit on my face for a minute more. Then I rinse with some warm water, and gently rub/exfoliate it off with a sea sponge for maybe a minute! I think this is really key to using this cleanser so that you don't get that "residue" that some reviewers have mentioned. Though I am still left with a nice layer of protective oils on my face after, it does not clog my EASILY CLOGGED skin. This cleanser does not dry out my skin at all-which is great for me because my skin is so dehydrated. I am sure using a cloth to take it off would be fine, but that personally irritates my skin, so I prefer a sea sponge.

Every morning now I am waking up with skin that is beautiful and glowingly healthy. I have this cleanser to thank for that (as well as my Jason Vit E Cream, and my Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair) I would highly recommend all three of these products if you have dry, irritated skin!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by bululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like using natural products in my beauty routine, but this cleanser was truly and honestely so disappointing. It has a nice thick waxy consistency and a nice smell but...
First of all it does not remove eye make at all and if you are tempted to try it will sting badly. Second, after about a week of using it,I got some nasty blocked pores (I never really suffer I have pretty dryish skin) on my eyebrows and around the lip area. So.. back to my super Cleanse and Polish by Liz Earle. That never ever disappoints.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2010 6:08:00 PM More reviews by MUFErules

I have very oily, sensitive, and acne prone skin. Most drugstore cleansers are too harsh for my face and leave it very dry and tight feeling. I bought a tube of this a while back and hoped that the oil in this stuff would help restore my skin's natural moisture. At first I absolutely hated it. It didn't lather, left a greasy residue on my face, and made me super shiny. I used it four, five times before throwing it under the sink into my product graveyard. It stayed there until a week ago.

Fast forward four months later. My skin was an absolute mess. Shinier than ever and pimples everywhere. Out of desperation I bought a Clarisonic face brush and a bottle of Philosophy's Purity cleanser. Within three days my skin started to clear, but using Purity morning and night was definitely drying it out. Thats when the lightbulb went off. I dug this out of the graveyard gave it another try with the face brush.

In the morning I use this and at night I use Purity (both with my Clarisonic of course). My skin is glowing. GLOWING!! The trick this stuff is to only use once a day and scrub well. It leaves my skin soft and moisturized with minimal shine. It's probably a combination of the products I'm using + the brush that fixed my face, but if this stuff is used properly it works really, really well. I'll definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by roxannemelfina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would only buy this again assuming something happened to my L'Oreal 360 Clean Cream, BUT! Before I found that, this was one of the best cleansers I had come across. It came in a set at Barnes & Noble, which I would likely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2010 3:21:00 PM More reviews by nicole1484

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have dry, sensitive ezcema prone skin and I went through a phase where I decided what my skin really needed were natural products. And oh look! Here's a face wash that says it's all natural! I went through 2 bottles of these before I realized/admitted to myself that it was actually stinging my face when I put it on and I was getting little red bumps all over, not zits, just bumps. I stopped using this and lo and behold my face cleared right up! So you might want to be careful if you have sensitive skin like I do. Also the twist cap on this drove me crazy lol

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this cleanser to remove makeup the nights I wear foundation, which is maybe two times a week. I love cleansers, and the process of applying them - foaming them up, pushing them around on the skin, feeling the slip under fingertips - however, my skin doesn't feel the same. It's taken me a long time to find a regime that doesn't make my sensitive skin itchy and blotchy. Actually my skin is very clear now, and I'm trying to keep it happy. Though I would love to, I daren't overuse this or any other cleanser and most days stick to rose water.
Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial cleanser is a solid-style, thick, emollient substance which is a similar consistency to lemon curd. When you get it in your mouth it tastes sweet and orangey. Unexpectedly, it rinses off a little milky, and does leave a slight film, which of course is expected with a solid cleanser. To get rid of the last traces, a warm flannel or wet cotton wool pads will do the job.
This doesn't get five stars because I would like to be able to use it on my eyes like I can other solid cleansers. The high citrus content stings. However, it doesn't irritate my face, and does make it glow.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Fauxbese

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I recently tried this cleanser at a friend's place after I forgot to bring my usual one. And I really, really, really wanted to like this one. For once I actually enjoyed the smell (it's orangey and reminds me of blossom, without smelling like detergent), it contains orange oil (supposedly meant to clear blemishes, smooth skin and stimulate circulation), and the predominant ingredients are all natural. Sounds good, huh?

Well, I tried it out and the results were disappointing to say the least...
First of all this cleanser does not foam, so a pea-size amount doesn't go far.
After rinsing it leaves behind an "oily", "waxy" coating; I had to wash my hands with soap afterwards to get rid of this.
However my face felt supple, smooth and nourished; there was no horrible tight feeling, this cleanser didn't strip back the natural oils in my skin (definitely a good thing!).
I used my toner after this and discovered that this cleanser had removed very little of my makeup (not so good)
I used this for one morning, and one night, and the next day I woke up to several nice pimples on my chin, nose and forehead.

I can appreciate that this could be a good cleanser for those with dry skin, as it definitely felt like it pumped a whole lot of moisture back into my skin. However if you have combination/oily skin this is probably not the best choice.
Just one extra note: this cleaner contains olive oil, and generally if you are going to purchase an oil based cleanser look for "jojoba oil". Jojoba is similar to the oils naturally produced by the skin, and is not only hyper-allergenic but also non-comedogenic. I use 2 drops of pure Jojoba every night as opposed to a night cream and it works beautifully.
Good luck!