April 23, 2014 | 1909 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2010 11:38:00 AM More reviews by bululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like using natural products in my beauty routine, but this cleanser was truly and honestely so disappointing. It has a nice thick waxy consistency and a nice smell but...
First of all it does not remove eye make at all and if you are tempted to try it will sting badly. Second, after about a week of using it,I got some nasty blocked pores (I never really suffer I have pretty dryish skin) on my eyebrows and around the lip area. So.. back to my super Cleanse and Polish by Liz Earle. That never ever disappoints.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2010 6:08:00 PM More reviews by MUFErules

I have very oily, sensitive, and acne prone skin. Most drugstore cleansers are too harsh for my face and leave it very dry and tight feeling. I bought a tube of this a while back and hoped that the oil in this stuff would help restore my skin's natural moisture. At first I absolutely hated it. It didn't lather, left a greasy residue on my face, and made me super shiny. I used it four, five times before throwing it under the sink into my product graveyard. It stayed there until a week ago.

Fast forward four months later. My skin was an absolute mess. Shinier than ever and pimples everywhere. Out of desperation I bought a Clarisonic face brush and a bottle of Philosophy's Purity cleanser. Within three days my skin started to clear, but using Purity morning and night was definitely drying it out. Thats when the lightbulb went off. I dug this out of the graveyard gave it another try with the face brush.

In the morning I use this and at night I use Purity (both with my Clarisonic of course). My skin is glowing. GLOWING!! The trick this stuff is to only use once a day and scrub well. It leaves my skin soft and moisturized with minimal shine. It's probably a combination of the products I'm using + the brush that fixed my face, but if this stuff is used properly it works really, really well. I'll definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by roxannemelfina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would only buy this again assuming something happened to my L'Oreal 360 Clean Cream, BUT! Before I found that, this was one of the best cleansers I had come across. It came in a set at Barnes & Noble, which I would likely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2010 3:21:00 PM More reviews by nicole1484

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have dry, sensitive ezcema prone skin and I went through a phase where I decided what my skin really needed were natural products. And oh look! Here's a face wash that says it's all natural! I went through 2 bottles of these before I realized/admitted to myself that it was actually stinging my face when I put it on and I was getting little red bumps all over, not zits, just bumps. I stopped using this and lo and behold my face cleared right up! So you might want to be careful if you have sensitive skin like I do. Also the twist cap on this drove me crazy lol

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this cleanser to remove makeup the nights I wear foundation, which is maybe two times a week. I love cleansers, and the process of applying them - foaming them up, pushing them around on the skin, feeling the slip under fingertips - however, my skin doesn't feel the same. It's taken me a long time to find a regime that doesn't make my sensitive skin itchy and blotchy. Actually my skin is very clear now, and I'm trying to keep it happy. Though I would love to, I daren't overuse this or any other cleanser and most days stick to rose water.
Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial cleanser is a solid-style, thick, emollient substance which is a similar consistency to lemon curd. When you get it in your mouth it tastes sweet and orangey. Unexpectedly, it rinses off a little milky, and does leave a slight film, which of course is expected with a solid cleanser. To get rid of the last traces, a warm flannel or wet cotton wool pads will do the job.
This doesn't get five stars because I would like to be able to use it on my eyes like I can other solid cleansers. The high citrus content stings. However, it doesn't irritate my face, and does make it glow.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Fauxbese

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I recently tried this cleanser at a friend's place after I forgot to bring my usual one. And I really, really, really wanted to like this one. For once I actually enjoyed the smell (it's orangey and reminds me of blossom, without smelling like detergent), it contains orange oil (supposedly meant to clear blemishes, smooth skin and stimulate circulation), and the predominant ingredients are all natural. Sounds good, huh?

Well, I tried it out and the results were disappointing to say the least...
First of all this cleanser does not foam, so a pea-size amount doesn't go far.
After rinsing it leaves behind an "oily", "waxy" coating; I had to wash my hands with soap afterwards to get rid of this.
However my face felt supple, smooth and nourished; there was no horrible tight feeling, this cleanser didn't strip back the natural oils in my skin (definitely a good thing!).
I used my toner after this and discovered that this cleanser had removed very little of my makeup (not so good)
I used this for one morning, and one night, and the next day I woke up to several nice pimples on my chin, nose and forehead.

I can appreciate that this could be a good cleanser for those with dry skin, as it definitely felt like it pumped a whole lot of moisture back into my skin. However if you have combination/oily skin this is probably not the best choice.
Just one extra note: this cleaner contains olive oil, and generally if you are going to purchase an oil based cleanser look for "jojoba oil". Jojoba is similar to the oils naturally produced by the skin, and is not only hyper-allergenic but also non-comedogenic. I use 2 drops of pure Jojoba every night as opposed to a night cream and it works beautifully.
Good luck!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got this in the annual grab bag and was excited to try out a facial cleanser that isn't loaded with chemicals as most cleansers are. However, this cleanser really does not work for me. It smells really nice and does not dry out the face at all. Packaging is simple yet still looks nice. However the product seems kind of hard to wash off and I think this irritates my face as well as doing a poor job of cleansing. I have a lot of residue on my cotton pad after using toner and this makes my face sting a lot when I use my toner :(. I'm almost done with the sample and will not purchase the full size. Will try to find a natural cleanser that works for me but so far the Laneige Multicleanser is the best I have used.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2010 4:07:00 AM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my, this is my new favorite! I have been using the Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser and when I tried the Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, I never went back. It smells wonderful ~ it's the best citrus scent I have ever smelled.

I use this with a wash cloth and it doesn't lather, so you need to use a bit more product than normal. I've been going through a tube a month. But, I don't care because I look forward to using this refreshing product every morning. I have one tube at the master sink and another in my shower. Also, I use the Burt's Bees citrus scrub, so it's a winning combination. I will buy this again, and it's my new favorite...

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2010 10:59:00 AM More reviews by tina1602

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Never again!!! I really tried liking this product. I've heard so many good things about the brand. I used this for 5 days and it broke me out so horribly!!! I have combo oil skin and it just was a triple dose of oil everytime I used this product. Not worth it!!!! Don't recommend for oily skin....

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 1:34:00 AM More reviews by itsariot487

By far the best cleanser I've used as of yet! I was a bit iffy paying $7.99 for such a small amount, but I learned you definitely don't need much. When I first used it I was like omg why isn't this lathering! Silly me, I used a bit more of the product, and then I had that "D'Oh!" moment, when I realized it wasn't supposed to. All that aside, I do have naturally oily skin, but the cleansers' oily texture bothered me none. It left my face hydrated, soft, and feeling CLEAN, without that annoying dry squeaky cleaness of most cleansers. I like to rub it in circles all over my face, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and rinse with cold water. I don't know if that makes any difference, it's just the way I like to do it. The best part was it made my face glow! I'm partially convinced it's reducing the appearance of some scarring, but I could be delusional. Either way it made my skin look good, so I was feeling good, definitely will buy this stuff again!