September 1, 2014 | 1967 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2009 9:02:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For anyone who has not tried Merle Norman makeup, I strongly encourage you to do so! This is not your "grandma's makeup line" anymore! Their products are modern and wearable. This powder foundation is fabulous. I use it as a setting powder over the Merle Norman Lasting Foundation, and it gives a flawless matte finish and lasts all day. The compact is downright ugly, but at least there is a separate space for the sponge. I apply this with a brush, then "press" the sponge over my face to set the powder and foundation. I am truly blown away by this, and the Lasting Foundation. So if you havent been to one yet, go to the Merle Norman store ASAP! I think you'll be as pleased as I am.

*** I'm surprised to see that people complain about the scent of this powder, I think it has a great scent!!! Very sweet and fresh!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Sheeep

Great, great, great foundation. With a bit of moisturizer and primer, the foundation applies very well. Using a sponge, the coverage is good, too, and is buildable without getting cakey . . . you know, unless you keep on applying layers upon layers. I still use a tiny bit of concealer, though, to cover up the really noticeable spots. I switched from Everyday Minerals to this, and this actually controls oil sooo much better and no breakouts whatsoever. After an eight hour school day, my face and the foundation is still amazing. The packaging is nice . . . I like it. It's larger, but the mirror is wider and longer than most typical compact mirrors. The sponge is also separated from the foundation, and the compact even has a vent for it on the bottom. Srsly, one of the best things I've tried so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2008 3:07:00 PM More reviews by AlwysNSrch

I have no problem with the packaging as it keeps the sponge away from the product itself. I love the "smoothness" that this product creates. I apply this over MN lasting foundation. I use a brush as I find that the sponge can make it cakey.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 4:13:00 AM More reviews by jawbreaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great product unless you are prone to breakouts or clogged pores. It provides great coverage that lasts but 1) I do not like the smell, 2) it has little shimmers in it that regardless of what wash I use, just stick to my face, and 3) caused breakouts and clogged pores on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2008 12:05:00 AM More reviews by jmk244

This is my HG foundation. I first bought this after all the great reviews on MUA-I believe its one on the highest rated foundations. I was really surprised to learn there was even a store close to my house. I had never heard of Merle Norman before and I was surprised to learn how large the brand actually is. Anyway I walked into the store and was a little hesitant because it is definitely directed towards a more mature audience and I was 19 at the time. I bought ultra cameo which is the perfect shade-its like it was made specially for me (for reference Im an NC 15 at MAC). When I wear this foundation I get compliments all the time.

I have almost gone through my first container and as much as I love it I was hoping to find a much cheaper foundation. I went out and bought mybelline's Instant Age Rewind Cream Foundation because it also has good reviews on MUA and is so cheap (like $7). I wore it for two days and it cant begin to compare to Merle Norman. So yes, I will purchase this product over and over again. I have found my HG foundation and I can finally stop looking.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by pattyshine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of those wonderful foundations that you put on when you are tired and do not want to choose. It always works, summer and winter, I can wear buff and neutral and look like I spent a long time putting my foundation on because it looks so perfect. People often ask me what I am wearing.
Though MN foundations seem to start rather dark (to me) the Ultra Power foundation starts very light. I am very fair, but need the buff or Neutral to give just a little color.
Even though I am older, MN products are not for old ladies only. They have lovely colors and the quality is remarkable. I like several fondations, but always go to this one and My El Double Wear Stay in Place powder. Frankly, this foundation is a MIRACLE. (For a run-down on the modern update on Merle Norman Products - see my review of liquid foundation sp15. I am in no way affliated with MN - just want to enhance its reputation)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Susan425

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this foundation after reading the great reviews, liked it a lot, but hated the packaging. I currently have 4 powder foundations, Lancome Dual Finish, MAC studio Fix, Merle Norman and MUFE duo mat. I've worn a different one each day this week to compare and I like the Merle Norman better than the Lancome and MAC. Will repurchase Merle Norman and MUFE ( MUFE photographs well).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2008 7:35:00 AM More reviews by jenafur3223

I read the glowing reviews on this and I hate to be the debbie downer here, but I was disappointed with this makeup. During the summer when my skin is the oiliest I purchased it, and it seemed to do a decent job of controlling oil for me. Nothing earth shattering, but better than any other powder foundation I've tried thus far. (I should note that I've been using EM Intensive mineral foundation for the last year, and I love the coverage but the wear and oil control aren't the greatest). So I immediately noticed the scent, which is just downright nauseating to me. I noticed that Talc was an ingredient, and I wonder if that was contributing to the scent, as well as the texture of the powder. It's very chalky and almost kind of grainy feeling when you first put it on, but after a 1/2 hour or so once my greasies kick in it seemed to settle. I have decent skin with visible pores though, and this powder did an ok job of covering my pores. Also, I hate the packaging. Very old fashioned, clunky, & unattractive. So then after using it for a month my face was feeling tight, dry, rashy....which then makes it even OILIER so I quit using it just to see if the makeup was the culprit and my issues stopped. So I went on another mission to find something else and was unsuccessful. A few months have gone by, and recently I decided to give it another try. Now I definetely think this makeup is what's breaking me out. I stopped using it and got out my EM and walah.....face cleared up. Which is a drag because like I said earlier, can't find something that controls oil AND looks nice. Back to the store it goes....maybe I'll try Origins Silk Screen next. : (

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2008 1:06:00 AM More reviews by weeks919

This may be winning me over from Lancome's dual finish. I use this in Ultra Cameo and it looked flawless on my pale skin. I was impressed the first time and its not dissapointing me at all....even touch ups don't cake! I am really impressed with this powder and will def repurchase!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Honey52341

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great powder foundation. It gives great coverage with a very light feel. It can be worn with liquid foundation or by itself. I am pleased to say that Merle Norman is in the process of redesigning their packaging and updating it for the people out their that care about what the packaging looks like. The powder to my knowledge will stay the same. I also have to report not all Merle Normans have the "fake" sales consultants. I have met some that are actually very pleasant, realistic and not over powering or intimidating. I would definitly recommend to everyone and will continue to use myself!!