Albolene cleanser

Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Ceresin, Beta Carotene

on 6/20/2011 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I usually like all the high rated mua products. but this one, i really dont like it and cannot agree with the majority. this cleanser is wayyy too greasy. it's unbelievable. it will never get off from my face. it's very greasy so you def can't remove it with water. it's just like oil and water. they will never get combined and will never be removed. so i have to use some cloth or cotton pad or something to remove it. but it's still on my face and my face is actually greasy and i still have thin layers of albolene no matter how much i swipe my face. it really doesnt work for me.

on 5/17/2011 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use Albolene every night to take off my makeup. It does a great job for me. I rub this on my face and then wipe it off with a dry washcloth.

I am prone to breakouts so I always follow this with a good cleanser. I also notice that the Albolene doesn't take off every trace of makeup so the cleanser gets the last little bit.

Overall I like this and it does what it's supposed to for me.

Edited 8/8/12: I upped this to 5 lippies as its the only thing that I have used that really takes away every trace of my makeup. I don't ever use anything else now and don't think that I will.

on 5/10/2011 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this cleansing cream! The absolute best! I was a Ponds cold cream user for years and the strong chemical smell was starting to get to me, plus I was starting to break out from using it. I switched to Albolene and I have been using this for a week with great results! I only use it in the evening to remove makeup - just smooth it on and wipe it off with a hot washcloth. It removes every stitch of makeup, even mascara wipes away effortlessly. My skin feels so so soft and supple afterwards. I use Cerave PM moisturizer in conjunction with the Albolene and I have noticed a huge difference in the texture and tone of my skin. Wonderful combination for aging skin! I am prone to break-outs too and this has definitely cleared my skin up.

on 4/30/2011 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this stuff. I just recently started trying cleansing creams and am really enjoying them. My skin has improved soo much since using them. I first tried Ponds and it burnt the ever living crap out of my face. It has WAY too much perfume in it for sensitive skinned gals. I use this first to take my make-up completely off then wipe it off. Then I cleanse my face with my Clarisonic and a good cleanser. I follow witch hazel and a either Cerave PM or Hope in a Jar. I will continue to use this wonderful make-up remover : )

on 4/17/2011 3:16:00 PM

I recently started taking Accutane and now, almost a month into my treatment, my usually combo/oily skin has become dry. I had this already and it is FANTASTIC for removing makeup, waterproof mascara and sunscreen (I wearl LRP Anthelios XL). I ermulsify a small glob between my hands, then rub all over my face and remove with a warm washcloth. Sometimes I follow with a gentle toner but often I just leave the residue and follow with my moisturizer (Cerave PM). This has really helped with the dryness and I wake up with normal-slightly moist skin. Very nice.

on 3/8/2011 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

My skin is normal to dry, and I avoid using soap on my face, and thought I'd use this as something a bit more moisturizing than Cetaphyl cleanser, but it's a bit greasier than I'd like. I've been using it nonetheless through the winter, but I have to follow it by swabbing witch hazel as a toner to cut down the greasiness. I'll keep it though, for extra dry times, and I do find it's a perfect cleanser to prep my skin for a clay mask: if I cleanse first with the Albolene, then do the mask, when I rinse the mask off, my skin feels wonderful--tingly and clean, but also very moist.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have always had a problem removing eye makeup (I don't even wear waterproof mascara). No matter what I tried, it either burned my eyes or was too inefficient for me to deal with (including the Sonia Kashuk Remove, which is popular around here). This is the first one that actually gets rid of my eye makeup!

1. Price and availability - this was $12 at CVS, but it's all over the drugstores in my area.
2. The amount - the tub is deep. Seriously, I don't think I'll be repurchasing for a long time.
3. No fragrance and doesn't irritate my eyes, thank the Lord.
4. Removes makeup effectively! I just massage this into my skin and eye area, and it removes all my foundation and eye makeup like a dream.
5. Great for use as a mask/treatment.

1. Greasy - but this is just the nature of the product, it's kind of annoying but I don't care.
2. Traveling with it is a no-go - but if you have time decant a little into a smaller container that you reserve for traveling.

TIP: This is on the Albolene website, but here's the treatment. Following a shower (or place a hot wet washcloth on your face for a few moments), massage this into your skin. Keep massaging until you feel little gritty bits (I know, gross!). Then let it sit for a few minutes. Take something like a credit card and scrape the Albolene off. It removes a ton of dead skin and plugs of dirt/oil that it loosened out of your pores! When I did this, the Albolene I scraped off was GRAY. And I keep my face clean with a Clarisonic Mia.

on 1/30/2011 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This works wonders for eczema. In a matter of just days it's made major improvements. I didn't think it was going to work so fast. I absolutely love this!

The products is thick, kind of like vaseline, but it's liquefies very fast on the skin. This feels really good on dry skin and leave it very soft (no water needed, just tissue off).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I used this for removing eye makeup only. I noticed after a week or so of use I started getting clogged pores around my eyebrows and hairline so I stopped using it. It did a good job of removing stubborn mascara, etc., but IMO it's just glorified Vaseline that you can get cheaper and does the same job. The packaging is a big jar with a screw-on lid so you do have to plunge your fingers in and dig out the prodcut, but you'll be doing the same with Vaseline and other cold cream type cleansers. I wouldn't be completely against buying this again but also not making a mad dash to do so either.

on 12/31/2010 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

HG Makeup Remover and So much More!

FIND IT AT: Drugstores ( I was only able to find it at CVS. It can be hard to find and is easily overlooked. It comes in a white jar with a blue lid. I found mine on the bottle shelf at CVS)

PRICE: 10 +

1. Packaging (I know a lot of people hate the packaging but I like it because for the price you get a large amount of product, you know exactly how much is left, and you donít have to keep squeezing to get product from a tube or throw away product you canít get out of a tube. Can be transferred to a small jar for travel needs. If you want to be really thrifty after your done with product clean out the jar really well and then use it to store brushes, scrunchieís, or random objects. I would use it to store my bobby pins but I use my old altoids tin for that :)

2. I love how my face isnít dry after taking all my make up off. I have extremely dry skin so yes having a product that doesnít leave me stripped of my natural oils is a must. I put about a dime size amount of product on my face and neck and wait five minutes and then use a wet wipe. Sometimes I even put some product on before I take a shower because the steam helps penetrate pores and then just use a wet wipe. I find that using a wet wipe helps get more of the gunk off my face faster without residue left behind.

3. Better than any other makeup cleaner. I have used EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), OO (olive oil), baby oil, and Vaseline. Though these products do work adequately they are ALL are epic fails in taking off waterproof mascara because not all the product can be taken off with any of these products. Also none of these products can take off my Milani eyeliner. NONE!

4. Cheap (but if you prefer products like Vaseline or baby oil you may see Albolene as an expensive purchase)

5. Recommended by dermatologist and not scented

6. Great for waterproof makeup (I always use waterproof mascara so this is a must! Also I wear Milani infinite 24 hr eyeliner (trust me this stays, see review for more info) and nothing but this takes it completely off.

7. Good for taking off stage makeup

8. Have heard it works well to smooth rough patches i.e. on cracked heels, helps cuticles, elbows

9. Also have heard it works well for :ahem: as a personal lubricant (only if you donít use latex for contraception needs so DO NOT USE WITH CONDOMS it dissolves latex!). Havenít tried it and wont so canít speak from experience just thought Iíd put it out there

10. Best makeup remover for dry, sensitive skin, or if you have eczema

11. It has been around since the 1960s and does what it claims ďThe makeup comes off, and the moisture stays inĒ

Deal-Breakers for some People
1. Packaging=Un hygienic-Wash hands before you put this product on and donít double dip. But if you have long fingernails or acrylic nails like I sometimes do you can use things like a spoon, scoop, or tongue depressors to dip into product instead of using your hands.

2. Not travel friendly-Buy some travel sized containers and put some Albolene in it and your ready to go. Cheap and this way no product is wasted in a tube.

3. This product does contain paraffin and petroleum which may cause skin irritation

4. May seem like Vaseline. Most people who think this is a more expensive Vaseline are mistaken. This product is not Vaseline, Vaseline has a different consistency. Both products can be used to remove makeup, are moisturizing, and have multi uses the ingredients and may feel identical because they both contain some of the same ingredients i.e. mineral oils, petroleum, and paraffin but Vaseline is a jelly and Albolene is a cleanser. For me Vaseline has a thicker consistency does not easily spread of absolve like Albolene does. It is harder/ if not impossible to remove waterproof eyeliner and mascara with it. I feel like I have to scrub to get all my makeup off and it leaves a thin sticky residue.

5. IMO (In my opinion) since this product is greasy and moisturizing it would not be good for oily skin but it may work for some people just not all (some reviews on MUA have had good experiences)