Essie Fiji

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This review is for Essie's Fiji!
I can't sum up how much I love fiji!
I picked this nailpolish up on a impulse buy, because I liked the promising light white-ish pink and the name.
I put it on the second I got home, and i've got to say, it applied better than any nailpolish I have ever had! The polish even itself out as it dried, and it wasnt streaky AT ALL! I must have gotten lucky, judging from the complaints of streaky formulas. takes me 2 coats for it to look EXACTLY like it does in the bottle.
I scored this on sale for 7.99 CDN at my local SDM. Pricey, but still cheaper than my employee discount! I always wait for Essie polishes to reach that price before I buy any.
As you wear the polish, it becomes more peachy-white than pinky white, for me anyways!
The color makes my hands look clean & feminine, but it doesnt make me look tan!

on 7/24/2012 6:57:00 PM

This is my go-to polish. Keep in mind application DOES take patience. While many say three coats allows for an opaque finish, two thicker coats is just as good. Makes your hands and feet look nice and tanned and is perfect for summer time. I however use it all year round because I love it that much! I will continue to repurchase this product forever and if it was ever discontinued I would probably break down into tears.

on 7/21/2012 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Fiji is such a pretty pale white-pink colour, and like the other reviewers say - it does make you appear more tan, which I love.

However, application is definitely tricky; it is streaky and takes 3+ coats for opacity and streaks will still remain... Streakiness is inevitable with this shade. A top coat helps clean it up a bit, though. Yet, I still love this colour and it looks great on toes too :)

on 7/9/2012 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

fiji is my first essie nail varnish and i love the colour! however, on my student budget i don't love the price...don't think i've ever spent 7.99 on a nail varnish before! also i'm not keen on the application either....applied four thin coats at about 4pm and thought by 11pm they would have dried; woke up in the morning with duvet prints all over them! but its not too noticeable and its such a pretty summery colour (:

on 7/8/2012 10:41:00 AM

I hate this nail polish, I hate it with a passion. As my first (and only!) Essie nail polish i had high hopes, i saw it in the shop and the milky pink drew me in. I assumed it would either transfer as a smooth and creamy pale pink or as a sheer glossy colour; both appropriate for school. I was horribly mistaken. When i put the first coat on it looked streaky and cheap, I popped on a second coat: still not opaque, and definitely to streaky to pass for sheer, third coat: messy and thick. Finally deciding i had nothing to loose, went on to a forth: thick, gloopy, patchy, white nails. The pink seems to dissapear and the resulting colour is unflattering and fake. Also i takes forever to dry due to the amount of layers and dents and smudges really easily, if you can get passed that its actually fairly long wearing, but i never leave it on long enough to test its longevity. HATE HATE HATE this, save your self the frustration and money, dont get it.

on 7/2/2012 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This polish applies pretty streakily. Three coats (one thin and two thick) still result in streaks, although they aren't too noticeable from a distance.

My main problem with this polish, though, is the color. It's very garish on me. The best way I can describe the color is cotton candy pink. I'm very pale and I need something softer.

on 7/2/2012 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Fiji is the only color by Essie that is a staple in my beauty box. This is the only color I will wear anywhere and at any time. It is beautiful and surprisingly extremely long-wearing. I have repurchased this shade for years, and bring it in to my nail salon just in case they are out. Apply 2 coats for a thick opaque look.

on 7/1/2012 12:04:00 AM

idk how anyone could not love this color! its a white with a tint of pink to me. I love it! its soft but bold. only negative is i usually have to use 3 coats otherwise it is streaky.

on 6/30/2012 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love the colour of this... It kind of treads a fine line between high maintenance expensive and trashy... But in a good way. I just hate the application of it. It took me 5 coats to achieve anything wearable. But it's a gorgeous milky pale pink that is opaque, and finding this kind of colour isn't easy! I probably won't buy again because I'm not a pro at applying nail polish, but I will try and use it up.
Edit: After struggling with this for awhile, I have taken to using Revlon Colorstay 020 Pale Cashmere, which achieves a similar look though slightly less opaque and slightly more neutral compared to the pink of Essie Fiji, and I have to say I find it much easier and the overall effect is a lot nicer on me. Sorry Essie, fail from me.

on 6/20/2012 6:24:00 PM