Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 10/29/2008 11:45:00 PM

There are a few studies out on ketoconazole that say that it slows down hair loss....no new hair growth, so it's not even on the same level as Rogaine, but at least with this one you don't get the greasy head. In fact, you get really dry hair. I never had severe dandruff, but my scalp does itch most of the time and there's light flaking. This shampoo does treat both symptoms, but even better, I noticed that the hair sitting in the drain after I shower is 1/3 what it used to be. I've used this shampoo for a little less than a month, and don't bother to leave it on for the full 5 min...more like 2 minutes. I'm going to follow the directions better, and also start some deep conditioning treatments...this stuff makes your hair feel like hay afterwards. I use it 3-4 per week.

on 10/6/2008 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Dries out hair like crazy but for my specific dandruff problem, it works like a charm. i used the 2% initially and went on the 1% to maintain. i use this 1-2 times weeky interchanged with other shampoos. Must use conditioner after MUST! HG stuff.

My dandruff issues come and go so it's not a consistent issue but at times when I do have a lot of dandruff it's insane. If I just shake my head it looks like it's snowing, not very attractive. Esp. for someone who has dark hair like I do.

I had tried several other brands, Head and Shoulders and a few others I now forget but this was the only one that actually helped.

It doesn't smell that great and the bottle is TINY but it's still totally worth it. You only need a little bit every time, and it's not an everyday shampoo so it actually does last pretty long. (Even more so for someone like me who only has dandruff issues on occasion). I use it whenever my hair starts to feel extra greasy as well and it seems to help control some of the oiliness.

Overall a great product and I will definitely be repurchasing once I use up my bottle.

on 7/18/2008 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am on my second bottle of Nizoral. Works very well for dandruff or dermatitis of the scalp. Works well as a clarifying shampoo and I use this 2x a week on my hair. I have fine hair which may have thinned out a little possibly due to dermatitis (I have not been diagnosed by dermatologist but my scalp is oily) and noticed a few hairs sprouting on my scalp.

It's important to follow the directions as directed on the bottle to get the best results which means letting it sit on your scalp for 5 minutes and massaging it in to your scalp.

I didn't think this smells minty as the reviewer stated below but smells like lavender which I love and tingles so you know it's cleaning the scalp. It's a little pricey for a small bottle about $12.00 CAD but it works to keep the scalp clean. Using this, I can skip a day of washing my hair which I normally can't.

Canadians can purchase the 2% ketoconazole over the counter. Ladies who color their hair will find it will strip out your hair color overtime but if you suffer from dandruff or dermatitus-this is shampoo to use.

on 6/25/2008 9:30:00 AM

"Dandruff, seborrhea, itchy and dry scalp can be caused by a microscopic fungus (pityrosporum ovale) that occurs naturally on everyone's skin. During times of stress or change in climate or diet, the fungus can grow more quickly causing worsening of symptoms." Nizoral is the only product I know of that kills this fungus completely. I am using the presciption strength (2% ketoconazole) and after 30 odd years of itching and flaking (even in and around my ears), things are finally under control. I leave this on for the full five minutes once or twice a week, making sure to spread the lather inside my ears as well. Since my hair is short and uncoloured, I have no problem, in fact it leaves my hair full and soft. However, if you have processed hair, you will probably want to follow this with a really good conditioner. When I follow the Nizoral with Nioxin conditioner and leave on the requisite three minutes, the mint totally cools/soothes any irritable spots on my head. I was one of those people who could not go a day without shampooing or my head would be so intensely itchy it would drive my crazy - no more. This is expensive but totally worth it.

on 6/12/2008 1:23:00 PM

NOTHING WORKED. This did.

I tried T-gel, head and shoulders, pantene pro v dandruff shampoo, and garnier fructice dandruff shampoo too. no use.

I kinda gave up after T-gel and thought I would have to live with it. I bought nizoral because I saw it on korean commercial and thought it had a funny name (LOL seriously)

Its abit expensive (9 dollar for a really tiny bottle) but I used it for a whole semester (you use it only 1-3 times a week anyhow) and it's the only thing that ever actually WORKED. I no longer have dandruff. This is definitely my HG shampoo! I really had no hope when i bought this either so it was a really pleasant surprise.

on 3/16/2008 12:46:00 AM

This stuff is amazing. I've been dealing with an itchy scalp and annoying flakes for over 20 years -- since I was a teen. While it's never been bad enuf for me to see a derm, it's still a PITA! I feel like I've tried everything and almost nothing ever worked for me. T-Gel, T-Sal, T-Whatever -- none of those Neutrogenas worked for me. H&S never, ever, ever worked and the newer versions are still worthless for me. Tea tree oil? Nuh-uh -- my scalp laughed at it, by itching like crazy and producing tons of flakes. Selsun Blue really sucked and it's filled up to the wazoo with sulfates, sulfates and more sulfates -- guaranteed to ruin your hair. Denorex was the only thing that ever worked for me, but it's soooo harsh and it dried the heck out of my hair and always faded out my hair color (and that includes the new one for women that's supposed to be safe for color-treated hair -- BTW, it ain't). But after 3 or 4 uses of Nizoral, my scalp doesn't itch anymore and I have absolutely no flakes whatsoever. This is nothing short of a miracle. I just colored my hair before I started to use Nizoral and it doesn't seem to have affected or faded my color at all. WOWZA!!!! Now I'm hoping I might actually be able to go for more than a week without using dandruff shampoo -- which I haven't done for over 20 years! Nizoral is expensive but well worth it for results like this. Many, many thanks to the brilliant and beautiful ladies of the MUA Hair Board for recommending this.

This seems very expensive for the size of the product, but it does the job. There are 2 strengths a 1% & a 2%. I used the 2%, but would be happy to try the 1% in the future - not sure what the difference would be in reality.

If you feel that the cause of your itchy scalp may be down to yeast organisms this is the product to try. Wish I had tried it years ago.

After 1 application my scalp felt soothed & I no longer feel itchy. Also although the product is quite pricey for the size you really do not use that much, and use less as time goes on.
I will always have this in the future.

on 1/24/2008 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is the only shampoo that has helped with my severe dandruff problem. I've been using it 2 x times a week for the past month and I do not see any dandruff or experience itching in between washings anymore. Before, my scalp would get really irritated, itchy, dry and flaky even right after washing. The shampoo is a little bit harsh on the hair but I've been using a deep conditioner to counteract that.

on 1/14/2008 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

For some reason it stopped getting rid of my dandruff...