October 25, 2014 | 1701 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by coocoovanille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this in #41, Medium Brown. I am a natural brunette with some grey to cover and my hair is very fine and thin. I was using Natural Instincts, but got tired of how quickly it was washing out...I liked that it was semiperm and less damaging, but sick of coloring so often, plus I'm cheap and so is Colorsilk, so I wanted to give it a try. I LOVE IT. #41 is a gorgeous shade of brown, not too dark, not too red...it's perfect. It gets rid of all my greys and doesn't wreck my hair or make it dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by seastar808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just dyed my hair a few days ago with "Medium Golden Brown" and have no complaints! I've used colorsilk before because, let's face it, what woman who colors her hair at home hasn't, but was only doing the salon coloring thing for a while. Well, not that I'm in grad school and can't afford such luxuries I took a risk and went back to Colorsilk...I'm not sure if I used this particular color in the past but on my naturally medium to ashy brown roots and lighter, highlighted hair medium golden brown came out just that, a nice, warm, medium brown that still shows the highlights from before and has left my hair pretty shiny and soft. I applied it from the roots to about 2/3 of the way down because I wanted the ends to stay blond (the ombre kind of thing) and about 5 minutes before I washed it out I worked the color all the way through to the end. Would definitely repurchase.
UPDATE: Just after I wrote this, I realized I haven't checked lately if Revlon tests or does not test on animals...for years they were cruelty free, but I guess now they are selling products in China where animal testing for cosmetics/beauty products is required (horrible) and their cruelty free status is no longer. HUGE BUMMER. Another company I no longer can feel okay purchasing from. Send Revlon an email and let them know you want them to be cruelty free if you care about animal welfare like I do. Thanks.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by bbleu7856

I really like this hair color product. It has no Ammonia, and amazingly my fried, overprocessed felt so much after I colored it with this! I was surprised and delighted with the color and the condition of my hair afterwards. I used the Dark Ash Blonde, and it's a very pretty color. This hair color is actually superior to some of the dyes I've purchased at Sally's in the past. Not only is it a great product, it is very affordable at only $3-4 box. The conditioner that comes with it is wonderful. I just wish they would give you a bigger packet of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2012 1:48:00 AM More reviews by catprincess

WORST EVER. No actually I've had worse hair dye but I've tried three different colors of this brand and it just fades in like 3 weeks. That's not what permanent dye is suppose to do! this product is a Thumbs down if u want permanent hair color but a thumbs up if your just experimenting!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by julzicat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I would not purchase this product again. I have colored my hair many times over the years, but I recently went on a hair color hiatus and let my natural hair grow back. This was not the product on which to make my return to the hair color world. It may be the worst I have ever used for the condition in which it left my hair. I went from shiny and healthy to ratty, frizzy, and even shorter? (I'm guessing there was some breakage. It actually feels like it contracted. Haha, maybe it recoiled in fear!) The color (Dark Auburn) is nice and was true to its representation on the box, but the bogus claim on the box that it will leave your hair healthier is disturbing. When I saw this hair color on the shelf, I thought "Oh, ammonia-free. That must mean it's healthier." And then the little voice in the back of my head said "Wait, but it's permanent. If it's not ammonia-based, what is it? And why is it so cheap?" I should have gone with the little voice and gotten the ammonia-based product of the same hue, but I thought I was just being silly by thinking the more expensive product MUST be better. I was not. This product jacked up my hair. I'm doing some deep conditioning now to see if I can at least partially remedy what happened here. :(

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 4:09:00 PM More reviews by woolgeek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is probably my all time favorite hair color. I usually use the dark browns and soft blacks and they come out natural looking (no shoe polish head here) and last at least a month. The only shades I have had problems with fading are the reds, but that's fairly normal for my hair (stick straight and very smooth). I don't care for the smell of the conditioner, and would prefer a tube to the pouch, but hey, for $3-4 I'll take it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Princess817

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this years ago and it burned my scalp so bad I had to wash it off after only a few minutes. More recently I had friends say they tried it and loved it. I figured I would give it a shot.
I was light golden blonde trying to go light brown. No burning this time, went in easily...the one thing I noticed is that it did NOT have that horrible chemical smell that makes me ill. I have tried ALL brands and they ALL smell and have some fragrances that try to cover it up and the smell lingers in my hair after about 2 or 3 washes and the smell makes me SICK. ColorSilk did NOT have ANY residual smell. AT ALL. So, that was nice. But that was about the only advantage, besides the price. Which is nice.
So...I washed it out after about 20 minutes, and it was fairly similar to the shade on the box (unless you are using virgin non-dyed hair and are going by their guidelines there are ALWAYS room for variables) but it wasn't very...brilliant. I noticed the fading after only a few washes. So after a couple of weeks it had faded so much (I figured well, maybe it was because I was going a few shades darker, it just didn't take so well) I better try again. Thankfully my hair is resilient and I have done this MANY times before. I picked up a darker, medium golden brown shade this time. It looked GORGEOUS when I was finished, but it didn't last long. It faded so fast, two weeks later I have to color it again. And now, I have noticed breakage in areas that weren't there before. I realize coloring hair in a short amount of time can cause excessive dryness but honestly with Garnier especially I NEVER noticed it. This time I washed it out of my hair, I had a couple strands in my hands that had fallen out. Normal, for most but not for me.
Moral? For the price it's worth a try but...you really do get what you pay for. And it IS drying. So be careful. Ladies with coarse hair...beware. I'm not sure I would try this. My hair is straight and fine and totally slippery...not a wave at all. I'm going back to Garnier after this. If I bought ColorSilk again to reapply to the fading I would end up spending more than if I had just bought my normal Garnier/Nice N Easy or whatever in the first place, and it lasts longer so I'm saving myself time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Olive143

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference I'm filipino with long black hair. Been coloring it for years from light to dark and dark to light at both the salon and at home. Sticking closer to my roots now.

I've been going a tad lighter lately w/ the Colorsilk shades and now using Medium Brown number 41. See my other Colorsilk review. The other shades lower than this, after trying, didn't make much of a difference and my hair was still dark. However this color made a significant difference which I'm so happy with!

I used it all over with two boxes for my long hair a few months ago. Now I only use one box on my roots about every 8 weeks because of some pesky greys. It a nice, soft dark brown shade. On the website it's labeled N for neutral and has no red or gold tones to it. Also, preferred this because I was afraid that if I went any lighter, my hair would result in a red/orange tone which when black hair is dyed can usually occur. Also do not want the dreaded 'lighter roots' look, than the rest of my hair. I'm a bit anal when it comes to my hair. I felt this new shade may have been a little dark and still had that black color. However, when compared with my son's hair (natural, virgin black) and can see that it's not black at all but a soft dark brown!! Yaye!! Please don't mistaken this for a chocolate brown hair you see in the magazines though. It's not like that for asian hair, in my opinion. I've never achieved that with any box dye. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to apply the color. I then wait about 30-35 minutes for the product to settle. Once it dries a little on my hair, I take the remains from the bottle and spot check for any greys that I might of missed. Also, do not rinse with shampoo. I did that once and the color was removed. Just rinse well with water and apply the conditioner. I wouldn't go too light with box colors. I would leave that to the experts. I've went a little lighter and tried Colorsilk 51 Ash Brown which is lighter. I can tell a slight difference in natural light setting.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by SaraSanDiego

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I mixed equal parts Revlon Color silk # 31 Dark Auburn & # 49 Auburn Brown...

And I love it!! Its the best auburn for my medium (leaning towards medium-light) complexion and green eyes...it's brown enough that it looks like a natural color but also red enough to stand out...

I'm not a fan of red reds or purple reds....I prefer medium auburn leaning towards copper as opposed to burgundy...which is what the end result with these two colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by cheeky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased 2 of these from CVS $6, I need 2 boxes because my hair is long. I bought the shade dark brown, and warm black i think it's called, and mixed them. i absolutely love the color, and got tons of compliments on my hair today. i love that this product has no ammonia, and it makes your hair super shiny. yes, it is hair dye and will dry your hair out, but after dying my hair i like to do overnight hair treatments every week or so. some nights i'll apply olive oil to dry hair, cover it with a shower cap, blast it with some hot air, and rinse it well in the morning. other days i use a deep conditioning protein masque (motion CPR critical protection and repair treatment conditioner), and rinse that off in the morning as well. i find that within a few weeks my hair loses that straw like feeling you get after dying it, and feels normal again.