April 19, 2014 | 1762 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

This didn't work out for me as it did for many others. I get that there's a lot of appeal for Colorsilk. It's VERY inexpensive, fairly easy to use, and has a lot of colors especially for a drugstore brand. Unfortunately, every color I tried faded within one week after coloring. But it DID make my hair feel like silk with the conditioner. Bummer :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by erinelaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been almost a year total since I last colored my grays due to pregnancy (I know they say its safe with modern formulations but I'm not vain enough to take the risk!), and I was thrilled to pick up my three-dollar favorite. Yes, it can fade a little, but even salon color can fade, especially reds, and for 2.97 I can afford to touch up every four weeks. Plenty of color for my long hair, not drippy, smell is bearable....what's not to love?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by CStarr5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had been using L'Oreal hair color for a few years,which did work very good but,then they must have changed the formulation because the odor of it became unbearable.So,I decided to give my mom's brand of Revlon ColorSilk a try.I am so glad I did and have been using it ever since.It applies and covers beautifully,there is minimal to none odor and for the low price of about $4.00 you can't beat the quality.This is the only hair color that I have found that does not contain harsh ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by mothernature

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I haven't colored my hair for about five years. But I was getting bored with my light brown hair, so I decided to give colorsilk in Dark Ash Blonde a try. My hair came out soft and shiny. There was plenty in the box for my shoulder length extremely thick hair. I wish it would have come out a little bit lighter, but I really just wanted to tone down my brassy brown and cover a few stray grays. This color delivered what I wanted and it was less than three dollars. I've tried the more expensive drugstore brands and I think this is the best. I'm hoping it will lighten a bit when I wash my hair a few times, but I will definitely buy this again. Maybe I'll go one shade lighter if it doesn't fade out enough, but you can't beat the price and quality of this haircolor. Definitely a keeper for me!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by makeupgrl2008

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i am EXTREMELY disappointed in this product!!!
after reading all of the wonderful reviews here and getting a rec from my friend, i decided to give this a try since my hair had faded to a brassy/orangey color.
MY HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN SO DRY IN IT'S ENTIRE LIFE!!!
after rinsing out the dye, i actually thought someone had replaced my hair with straight up hay! it was so dry and so tangly, and i was very very very mad. The conditioner was also unimpressive, and smelled funny.
This has also been the only hair dye that has ever caused irritation on my scalp, and i have tried MANY different brands, but after such an atrocious experience, i think my exploring days might be over...
To sum everything up:
Pros:
-cheap
-covers grays very well (super happy, yay for stress-induced gray hair)

Cons:
-DESTROYS hair, not damages, DESTROYS
-color came out BLACK not dark brown (3N)
-messy
-irritation
-did i mention DRY HAIR!

i will absolutely not buy again. never.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by NiteOwlGrl2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this, because I was really low on money and there was a two for 6 bucks deal at walgreens. I got the shade 6A Dark Ash Blonde which is the closest I can get to my natural hair color. I used to get Colorsilk 4gm Medium Gold Mahogany Brown and 48 Burgundy when I was in highschool. Every color I have used turned out exactly like the box. ALTHOUGH I did take the color out of my hair before I dyed it the dark ash blonde. I'm always very pleased with how my hair color turns out using this brand. I have tried many different dyes even ones from sallys using different developers. Revlon is a good quick cheap fix if you absolutely HAVE to dye your hair yourself which I strongly advise not to do. In the end after a few years you will have to get your hair fixed professionally and most likely cut a lot off :-(.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Dannie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried ColorSilk for the first time last Saturday. My hair is naturally dark ash blonde and about 30% gray, cut short. It's in good condition with salon color of neutral medium blonde. Except for my top roots (touched up a couple of weeks ago with root touch), I had about an inch of virgin growth, so I need something that would do the job.
My sister uses Natural Instincts (something like natural neutral medium middle-of-the-road blonde) and it's beautiful, but I couldn't find the color at Walgreens. ColorSilk was right next to it and I like the price, plus the reviews here are pretty good. I grabbed #74, Medium Blonde.
Because my hair pulls warm even though it's very ashy, I followed the advice here and left it on longer than the directions suggest. I did 35 minutes on the roots and then another 10 all over.
The smell was strong (they all are) but bearable, and after conditioning my hair felt fantastic. BUT - although the color was "medium", it's definitely warm. It's actually a pretty color and very natural looking; I got compliments today at work. The problem? I don't WANT reddish hair, and I didn't want a strong enough change that anyone would notice.
Because of this, I probably won't buy the ColorSilk again unless I find a "neutral medium blond" or decide to try a different color. Otherwise, nice product, easy to use (not drippy) and it didn't burn my scalp like many others do. Very pretty color and a fantastic price at $4.50 full retail!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

After starting to go grey at 18, I have tried almost every hair color out there, and Colorsilk is always my favorite, go to product. I started using it exclusively a few years ago, it's even cheaper than those root touch up kits! I usually get it in a two box set for about $4. The colors have always been perfect - nothing orange or unexpected - and it really covers the grey well for quite a while. Doesn't seem damaging either, what more could you want?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shandwork

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review for Revlon Colorsilk in 70 Medium Ash Blonde. I used this shade and it was the perfect shade of medium ash blonde. No brassiness and very even. The next time I used it, it turned my roots an reddish dark blonde. Will not repurchase this shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by buurt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can pick this stuff up at walmart for 2.97 a box. I have used practically every hair coloring kit out there since I was 16 (thank you gray hair) I don't see any difference with the different brands. It covers my gray hair nicely and you can't beat the price! A lot of the time they have a 1$ off coupon so I can really get it dirt cheap. Others say the staying power is not great but I don't notice that. My hair grows really fast anyway so I'm usually redying it every 2 weeks :(. Another thing is after using this my hair is extreamly soft and shiny.