July 25, 2014 | 1946 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by tmfuller

Finally, something that relaxes my irritated, break-out prone skin!!!
My skin is naturally oily-combination, but I'm using a topical acne treatment (Tazorac-great stuff) that has left my skin irritated, sensitive and red. I'm also breakout prone so typically, rich creams are not a fit. They generally leave my skin dehydrated and flaky, with a greasy layer sitting on top. I've used both the regular recovery cream, and the new rich version. Something about these creams make my skin calm down!! They also soak in beautifully, without leaving sticky residue. I originally bought the rich version as a night cream, but I've discovered it works great under my makeup during the day, keeping my face calm, hydrated and balanced so I actually end up less oily throughout the day.
I really just adore the whole Avene line! I have tried lots of skin products, many of them seeming to just complicate my skin problems even more. Ever since a lovely SA at Shoppers suggested this line, I've never dreamt of going back. They're simple and effective, and my skin finally feels consistently comfortable, healthy and balanced! This cream, the gentle purifying scrub and the gentle gel cleanser are permanent additions to my routine!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 3:15:00 AM More reviews by yuriyuri0905

One of my favourite moisturiser! excellent on my dry sensitive skin. It is little bit greasy after you put them on but after a while it really keep the skin moist. Its really good for dry and sensitive skin, but I don't think it suits oily or acne skin since it does give a greasy feeling for quite a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2011 7:43:00 PM More reviews by rasbperries

I have very sensitive skin, and since it's been congested and gross lately I'm trying to cut down on how many products I use. I bought this because I wanted something calming and simple but also moisturizing (since I'm using BP to try and calm down my acne and it's been super drying to my skin). The price by itself isn't too expensive (I mean, it's expensive, but not completely exorbitant), it's just that honestly I didn't find that this product worked at all so it was essentially a waste of money. It didn't sink in all the way and felt like it was just sitting on the surface of my face, so my skin had a gross oily/sticky texture but was still dehydrated and tight feeling. I didn't feel like this did anything beneficial at all, and on top of that I think it broke me out (pretty sure it was the mineral oil).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by sunnyraingene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This cream is really awesome for my eczema flare ups on humid summer days. It does what it's supposed to do, calm and balance my flakey cheeks. I used this over the mild steroids cream prescribed by the doctor and my flakey cheeks are gone after a week of use! The label recommended that the product should be used until skin is balanced. I'm gonna use this twice daily for one more week and maybe use it as a night cream to keep my face moisturized until I finish the product.

Will definitely repurchase this, although the usual retail price is kinda steep. I bought this at a discount of 20%.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh, how I love this product. I have mild rosacea. Due to stress and the heat outside(it stays over one hundred degrees from late May through August where I live), my mild rosacea has been really hard to control this year. I realized I needed to upgrade my rosacea care regime and I invested in some Avene.
Immediately, on contact, this cream soothes the burning, stinging of my cheeks. It doesn't magically erase all the pinkness of my cheeks, but it does tone down the redness of my cheeks so my skin looks calmer. Through continued use, applying some to my cheeks and nose morning and night, I've noticed my skin seems less sensitive. Despite the mineral oil in this, I've had no breakouts or clogged pores from this. In fact, the cystic pimples on the sides of my chin that I'd had the past eighteen months due to stress hormones have gone away. I've used this all over my face and it's been fine for me, though I suspect some might find it a little heavy all over the face; however, I generally just use it on my rosacea-prone areas to help stretch out my supply. It immediately moisturizes, but at the same time, there's enough moisture in the cream to last me all day, my skin won't suck it up leaving me bone-dry in my rosacea patches like with some products. If your particular sensitivity comes from using overly harsh acne products for regular acne (not acne rosacea) and you know for a fact mineral oil breaks you out or clogs you, I might suggest starting out with Avene's Thermal Water for soothing purposes rather than this cream.
I hesitate to mention the most dramatic result because I suspect such results won't necessarily happen with everyone. I've had for over ten years visible capillaries around my right nostril. I had just accepted I'd have to use concealer/foundation there. Within ten days of starting Avene, I noticed a section of the capillaries had disappeared and each week since a little more of the capillaries have faded from view. After switching over to Avene and La Roche Posay cleansers (Extremely Gentle Cleanser and Micellar Water for Sensitive Skin, respectively) in addition to the Avene cream, it seems like the capillaries have faded even more and my skin seems clearer and less sensitive. It should be noted Avene has a whole line of Anti-Redness products focusing on the appearance of rosacea and capillaries, but my main concern has been getting rid of the physical discomfort rather than aesthetics so I chose products from Avene's "Intolerance" line for soothing skin. (So, the fading of the capillaries, and in general less redness in the cheeks, is just a nice bonus.)
Alright, here's the big flaw to Avene, the same flaw I've noticed in all French "parapharmacie"/ds products--scanty marketing/education for the English language market, especially in the US. The best information I got on French parapharmacie brands was from beauty blogs (A Model Recommends, We Heart This, beaut.ie) rather than the brand's own English language website. As a result, I think it's very easy for an American consumer to buy the wrong Avene for his or her needs. Avene will include a decent pamphlet with a purchase, but that's not much help if you're trying to decide which product you should first purchase. So, I urge people new to French parapharmacie brands to really research before initial purchase--ask beauty blogs where the blogger has the same specific condition and has used French brands, asking MUA reviewers with the same condition and have used these brands, asking French MUAers familiar with these brands, and of course, asking a dermatologist you trust.
Lastly, I really wish Avene was available at American drugstores, at drugstore prices. However, even with the jacked up price I paid for this ordering online, it's still cheaper than seeing a dermatologist and getting a prescription. (I've found the better online prices have been at Amazon, for those looking for the best deal.)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by JM234

HG moisturiser. I also like Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream, but this one is obviously a lot more affordable. Has really helped to calm the irritation of my cheeks (caused by air con in my office building I think as I never had this issue before starting work in an office).

Spent a fortune on all the HE brands and tried things like Nivea and E45 but nothing was working. Tried this as it was on 3 for 2 in Boots and is only 12 a tube here in the UK - I realise this is quite expensive but relatively speaking it wasn't a lot to pay compared to the Dior/Clinique/Elemis creams I was buying at the time.

Convert! Have bought tons over the past 3 years and continue to hand tubes out to my sisters and cousins when they have problem skin in order to convert them too!

I have combination skin and like that this is hydrating enough to calm my cheeks while not leaving my looking oily on my T zone.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2011 4:03:00 AM More reviews by verista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had some inflamed, patchy skin on my forehead. This cream helped soothe my skin (used with the thermal water, though I don't think the latter is absolutely essential).
It's a lovely, gentle, soothing moisturiser. Would definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2011 1:12:00 PM More reviews by pluginbaby

This product does exactly what it says on the label. My skin was in such a mess after trying too many face products and it was red and constantly itchy. That stopped as soon as I started using this cream alongside their soapless cleanser for oily/blemish prone skin, I only wish I'd found these products before I tried everything L'Oreal, Neutrogena and Nivea had to offer. Although this is more expensive, I've wasted a lot more money on crappy drugstore brands that don't work. I'll be sticking with Avene from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by gojiberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great moisturizer for sensitive skin. I have very prone to acne and rosacea for I apply this to my face after cleansing with Avene's Antirougeurs Anti-Redness Dermo-Cleansing Fluid (this one is available only at the dermatologist and significantly minimizes my redness) before bedtime. I haven't had any problems with it and it being about $26 here in the States I think it's a reasonable price. It doesn't smell or leave any residue. Yes to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by AlexaElisabetta

I love this! I recently experienced a really bad breakout and some serious irritation from another product. Totally desperate, I picked up some of this at my local london drugs, and it's been really great. I have acne-prone, super sensitive, clog-prone skin with rosacea, so it can be difficult navigating all these needs, but this works wonders.

Has calmed down my skin, and though its only been a week, has not caused any breakouts. There is no fragrance to this cream (that is essential for my sensitive skin!) and it has a really minimal list of ingredients. For those of you worried about mineral oil, check skincareman's notepad, there is nothing wrong with mineral oil in cosmetics and skincare!

I mix a little bit of this in my palm with avene Cicalfate, and pat over slightly damp skin. It does a great job of moisturizing and balancing out redness. I absolutely love this stuff and will never stray! Makes my face look glowy and great.