September 21, 2014 | 2112 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Revlon - PhotoReady Perfecting Primer (color 001)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by cailys

This woks okay. It is pretty good as just a primer, but has almost no color correcting properties. It is a little on the pricy side for drugstore brands, although you do get a decent amount of product. My biggest issue is the SMELL. It has a very strong, plasticky odor that takes a good five minutes to go away after application. So while this is an okay primer, there are products I like more in the same price range.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by brieasaur

I'll be honest, I haven't really experimented a lot with different primers. I did some research and just figured that this one was good and sure enough, it's done the job.

Like the others said, it's perfect at hiding huge pores and controlling oil. It also doesn't make your skin feel weird, it's actually a nice feeling, like you're smooth and ready to go. I wouldn't wear it alone because I have acne scarring that needs to be covered up and it doesn't do anything to hide them. What's really impressed me though is how much longer my foundation stays on with it. That's why I've stuck to it and would buy it again, it turned maybe 3-4 hours into all day. Plus, I love bottles with pumps even though this one gets a little crusty if not cleaned up.

Overall, I think it's good stuff for the price, how easy it is to apply and simply for the fact that it really doesn't have any negatives.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by keepitreal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this solely for mattifying and oil control, both of which it does quite nicely. I don't wear foundation, but needed something to help smooth things out and keep the oilies under control because powder wasn't cutting it anymore. This gives me a nice polished look when only applied to my oily areas (forehead, around nose, chin), but if applied all over it takes the life out of my skin and just isn't flattering. I would say it keeps me shine-free for up to four hours which is quite miraculous since it only takes about 30 minutes before I'm shiny otherwise. Great price as well...I will buy again.

Update 06/27/13: Knocked down a lippy as it does nothing to control oil now that the weather is hot and humid. If anything it is making things worse. I will keep it around for winter.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by nycshopgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Awful, worked great for the first few weeks and then it started coming out of the bottle feeling tacky. When I applied it to my skin, I had little dried up flecks of the primer all over my face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by denns

Absolutely fantastic primer that really does a good job at making my foundation last throughout the day. I have a lot of trouble with the longevity of most foundations, regardless of how "long wearing" they claim to be. My skin isn't really oily per se, but my foundation still tends to kind of disintegrate on my skin throughout the day and come off in patchy spots around the 5-6 hour mark. When I use this after moisturizing and before applying my foundation, I notice it extends the wear time to about 8-9 hours before I begin noticing my makeup breaking down (it's about 11 or 12 hours before its gone almost completely though - still fantastic wear time!).

The consistency of this primer really reminds me of Urban Decay's Complexion Primer Potion - it has just enough of that silicone feeling to fill in pores and make your face feel smooth, but not too much (I'm looking at you, Smashbox, Benefit and Monistat) to make you feel like you've lubed up your face with dimethicone. It has a slightly "grippy' feeling to it as well (not sticky) that really holds on to foundation and helps it cling to your face.

The only thing I don't love is that the pump will get a little clogged with dried product if you don't use it every day. But with daily use, this isn't a problem. I do like the pump for sanitary purposes, but a squeeze tube might be a little more convenient. However, the pump is excellent and you can pump out however much product you want - it doesn't force a certain amount out each time (are you listening, Stay Don't Stray?).

I have combo skin with a little bit of oil in the t-zone and some dryness near my chin and on the sides of my nose. This primer keeps me mattified without looking flat and does not emphasize dry patches! It's definitely a winner and I'll repurchase when I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Brandy850

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started using this about a month ago. I like the matte finish it gives however it does make my face feel a little dry. I would never wear it alone like the bottle suggests but it's a decent primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:21:00 AM More reviews by MelJS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I'm surprised by how much I like this. I've tried a couple of primers before (Smashbox Light and Benefit The Porefessional), and while they made my skin feel nice and helped my foundation go on smoothly, they didn't do much to help its staying power. I have oily skin and foundations tend to slide off throughout the day, even with powder. With this Revlon primer, my foundation stays on ALL DAY, and I'm a lot less shiny throughout the day (I still have to blot with blotting paper a couple of times but it's much better than without). In fact it's so good at holding on to make up that you have to be careful not to be too heavy-handed or it can look a bit cakey - I've found that I'm using less foundation and a can use just a light dusting of powder. The one downside is the horrible packaging - every single day when I pump out the primer, I have to fish out a little crusty pellet of dried primer that has solidified in the nozzle (which feels wasteful of primer as well as being annoying). If they could fix that it would be amazing! Oh also, it does have a slightly odd smell when you first put it on (maybe a bit solventy?) but that disappears pretty much straight away once it's on.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by Hadew1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried Tarte's Clean Slate Poreless Primer and Korres's Silicone-Free Face Primer, and I think that Revlon's photo-ready primer is a good in-between. Tarte's silicon-based primer is thick and sticky, but does a GREAT job concealing my pores and gripping foundation. Unfortunately, it makes my dry/combination skin itch something terrible, and feels very heavy. Korres's primer feels like a dream--moisturizing without oiliness, and foundation smooths on more easily than without; but it does a mediocre job of pore minimizing or making my foundation last longer.

Revlon's does a better job of covering pores than Korres and doesn't feel nearly horrible as Tarte's. And at half the price of either, it's budget-friendly. I like Tarte's better for occasions where I need to look flawless, and Korres's for days when my skin feels extra-dry, but Revlon's is what I wear to work most days. Nothing to get really really excited about, but better than wearing foundation alone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by ExoticAlbino

This isn't a miracle product by any means yet it's the best primer for my oily skin & large pores that I've tried. In the past I have bought Benefit's Porefessional, Too Faced Primed & Poreless, Palladio herbal primer, L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, NYX Pore Filler, Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, & several others that were so mediocre I can't recall. Revlon's has blown these out of the water.

What I like about this product... it does a *decent* job hiding my GAPING pores. And it controls my super oily skin quite well. The drugstore price is quite awesome. I would shell out a lot of money for a good primer. If these pros don't sound like much, keep in mind primer is a low thrill deal. Revlon Photoready Perfecting does its job...I can't ask for much more.

Now for what I dislike about this product... if you have normal to dry skin, forget it. This will stick to every dry patch in sight. I also found that this primer doesn't play well with all sunscreens or moisturizers. The trick to making this work is you have to apply foundation over the primer IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise it will ball up. My last complaint is it can make my skin look like a mask. Be sure to apply very little in order to avoid this issue.

I'll definitely repurchase. Yeah, it has plenty of cons. But I don't think there's anything better out there given that my biggest skin issues are my pores & oil production. Well worth it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2013 10:15:00 AM More reviews by KatarinaBallerina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product because I was looking for a foundation light enough to use on my skin, which Revlon PhotoReady Mousse Foundation in Vanilla was so I thought I may as well buy the primer, too. Although I haven’t broken out or had any other nasty side effects, this isn’t the best product I’ve used. It is very drying so I need to use a good moisturiser underneath to stop it caking on my face and definitely need to exfoliate thoroughly before using it as any dead skin on my face is even more noticeable after using it. Also it has the tendency to settle into pores and so accentuate them even more.
It wasn’t all bad though, I now only use it on my t-zone to control shine, which it does do quite well, but I have also noticed it lightens the colour of my foundation and I have to use a slightly darker shade of foundation on my nose. Also, because the Revlon PhotoReady Liquid Foundation in Vanilla is too dark for my skin—somehow the liquid foundation ends up darker than the mousse, not sure why—this primer makes it slightly lighter on my face. So too negatives turn into a plus!
I’ve used this with the Revlon photo ready liquid foundation and mousse. From my experience, it seems to work better with the mousse.