Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.5

on 1/16/2014 10:41:00 PM

Heavy BB Cream. I bought this since I read that it had Medium coverage, but I think it's pretty heavy. The wrinkles showed more and made my makeup looked caked on. Good luck

on 1/16/2014 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Had high hopes for this but it was terrible! Stay away if your skin is dry or, especially, very dry!! It's a harsh winter here in the Midwest and within minutes of applying this, my face felt terribly tight and weird. I dashed off to work and was horrified to later find dry, cracked patches all over my nose, mouth and forehead! It was so embarrassing. Worse, as the day went on, this took on an ashy/gray look, separated, and felt even tighter on my face!

on 1/16/2014 11:42:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this last summer because I wanted a lightweight, easy-to-travel-with, no fuss foundation. Typically, I love Smashbox, so this was a big disappointment.

I liked the consistency of the product. It's rather thick and creamy, which I prefer. That's pretty much where the good ends. The smell is odd, the coverage is sheer, it doesn't stay put, it oxidizes within an hour or two, it clings to dry patches, and can look cakey if too much is applied.

I know the coverage is supposed to be sheer, and to be fair, it does a decent enough job of evening the skin tone. However, it doesn't cover any discoloration. I guess I was hoping that the thicker consistency would mean a slightly heavier coverage than other tinted moisturizers/bb/cc creams. I was also hoping it would be more hydrating than it is. Oh well. I'll use it for running to the grocery store or working out, but I definitely won't be buying it again.

on 1/15/2014 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is one of my most regularly used Western bb creams (& I have a LOT of bb's lol, both DS & HE). It provides light, fairly buildable coverage and a very pretty YSBB (your skin but better) finish. It's not overly matte, which is great. I hate the extremely matte look, as it just doesn't look natural. I would describe it as semi-matte, and quite natural looking. I have normal to sometimes dry(ish) skin and I use a moisturizer underneath. If your skin is combo to oily, a moisturizer probably won't be necessary because this will most likely provide enough hydration. However, you'll definitely need a good moisturizer underneath if you have drier skin, or this will definitely accentuate dry areas. I do wish this provided more hydration, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. This bb lasts about 6-7 hrs. for me before I notice it fading in some areas. I've used this on clients with very oily skin & it holds up well, but I always use a mattifying primer underneath. I'm not sure how it would hold up on very oily skin without a primer, but it does control excess oil to an extent, as I have used it on combination skin with no primer. If you prefer more medium coverage and/or have very dry skin, then I'd recommend Smashbox's CC cream, which is also a solid product, and much more hydrating than this one. The light coverage of this product doesn't bother me. I prefer to use a light coverage product like this all over the face, and then go back in on areas that need it with a full coverage concealer, even on clients with a lot of acne & scarring. I find that this technique is a bit more time consuming, but it looks so much better than using a full coverage product all over. Most people do not need full coverage all over their face. Often times with people who suffer from acne, there will still be areas of the face that are beautiful and clear of blemishes. So if you have acne, don't think you can't use products like this with very light coverage. A great powder to use in conjunction with this bb cream, for added coverage, oil control, and a beautiful overall finish, is the Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder. It's the perfect powder to set this bb with, & it also increases it's longevity. It's also a great powder to set under eye concealer with. As far as the shades, I'd suggest going a shade lighter than you normally would. I wear this in light/medium when I'm at my darkest in the summertime (NC35-40), but when I'm more of an NC30 in the colder months, I mix some of the light shade in with it. Normally in any other brand, I'm always a medium, so these shades definitely do run dark. They did recently add 3 new shades, so this is now offered in 8 shades, which is awesome for a bb cream. I'm not sure exactly what this retails for because I do receive a pro discount, but I believe it's around $40. I would definitely pay full price for it even if I didn't get a discount because I do really like this product.

on 1/13/2014 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to try this BB cream for a long time now so I purchased it 2 months ago in Sephora in the shade Light.

The color is OK but has this typical BB cream shade in it - grayish - still I think the color and coverage are the best features of this product. It is very long lasting but dries my skin out like crazy. I always end up with flaky nose and cheeks by the end of the day when wearing this!

I actually tried this morning using a creamy and very hydrating day cream (Embryolisse) under it and still dried my dry patches out. I think this is s great BB cream if you are more of the oily skin type than myself (normal/shiny in the T-zone and dehydrated in the winter).

I like wearing this BB cream in the spring and fall, when it's neither very hot nor very cold (and dry) in my city. I find it a bit too heavy for summer use (surprising, considering most BB creams are marketed as being lightweight) and too drying for winter use (surprising, considering most BB creams are marketed as being hydrating), but perfect for those in-between times. It provides more than enough coverage to even out my skin tone and even the occasional blemish. I don't see a difference between it and other similar products (BB creams, tinted moisturizers, etc.) in amateur or professional photographs, however.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

After wearing this a few times, I started liking it more. However, I think my drugstore Garnier works just as well. It felt nice on my face--not heavy. It seemed to last a long time, but it was a bit patchy by the end of the day. Meh. If you are looking for a product that does not have even medium coverage, why should you spend more than ten dollars?

on 1/10/2014 5:08:00 PM

I am trying this bb cream for the first time after the airline lost my luggage and I had to pick up something quickly at the drug store. I put this on for the first time this morning around 7:30 am and waited until the end of the day to write this review (it's now 5:05 pm).

Overall this is a very high quality bb cream. I am comparing this to my Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish tinted moisturizer, which I've been using for about 6-7 years now. It's the end of the day and 90% of the bb cream is still on my face. There has been slight oxidation but that's ok since it goes on a bit lighter than I wanted it to in the morning. Here is my pro/con list:

Pros -
1. Good Coverage - It's a heavier coverage than my tinted moisturizer and blends seamlessly into my skin. Consequently I needed to use much less concealer and press powder. Only minor touch-ups and a light brush of powder is needed.
2. Hydrating - It feels a little sticky with a gel-like consistency when you first put it on (this surprised me). But after putting this on, it feels like there is gentle layer of protection on your face all day. My skin felt moist and protected all day without being greasy.
3. Feels really light - it really feels like you just put a light layer of lotion on your face. It's very comparable to a tinted moisturizer, which I like.
4. Packaging - The tube is very discreet and compact, fits anywhere.

Cons -
1. Oil control was only successful for about 4 hours after initial application. I had to blot twice during the day, which is not unusual for me.
2. The heavier coverage made my face look like I was wearing slightly more make up than I'm used to (tinted moisturizers are much more sheer and natural looking).

I think that I would buy this again. Now the real test would be to see which one I would use when I get my luggage back. Hope this helps others who are looking for a bb cream.

on 1/3/2014 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of the best BB creams I have ever come across. It does cover well and matches very well without turning orange or anything weird. It does not have any sheen or sparkles thankfully (I really can't stand when companies do this). It makes my skin just look slightly luminous and radiant.

It feels very light and almost like a very light lotion. HUGE plus for me. It has spf and many great ingredients. I would definitely buy this again and will be looking forward to summers with it. Now I just use it for simple days in winter.

on 1/1/2014 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I bought this after reading quite a few reviews. I was looking for something that would control oil as well as my favorite L'Oreal BB, and contained a sunscreen. I would say this fits the bill. I have very oily skin. I wear this under a powder foundation for more coverage, and it does control my oils for the whole day; at least a good 10 hours. I don't stay perfectly matte for that whole time, but I get very little shine. The coverage is light, and I find that the fair shade matches my fair skin well and evens out my skin. I really like this, and I would buy it again; I just wish it was a little less expensive.