July 30, 2014 | 1780 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I own a lot of these color tattoos and I have to say I love them! They are really good to be from the drug store!! I would tell anyone to give these a try!only 5 dollars at Walmart!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 9:45:00 PM More reviews by amtn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For reference, I am an NC20-25, Bourjois Healthy Mix 52, so I do consider myself to be on the paler side. This was $7 at Chemist Warehouse in Sydney. Usually it is $12 at Priceline.

I have been using this everyday for a week and I can now say, it is a great, versatile product. The colour is ugly, yes but if you give it a goood shot, it can do wonderful things for you. Pigmentation is great, so great the colour is evidently ugly. On my skin tone, it pulls a mushroom grey, hint of brown colour when blended out. Heavily swatched though, I look bruised. The purple tones show through when heavily swatched and as someone wrote, it does look like wet concrete. On my eyelids, I would not use this alone but as a base for other shimmery/satin eyeshadows it works wonderfully! I blend out a thin layer across my eyelid. A second layer through my crease, blended out. Then I apply any boring beige eyeshadow (Urban Decay's Virgin or Wet N Wild "Browbone" colours) for example. My look is transformed. The colour looks great due to the dimension created by the base Tough As Taupe. I use this technique with all my eyeshadow now. It saves time from using 2-3 eyeshadows to define crease, outter-V etc plus it looks like I put a lot of effort into my eye makeup.

Other uses which have worked for me include:
Contouring hallows of cheeks - sometimes I mix this with my foundation to concoct a ashy colour, I then use this to contour my face!
Contouring nose
Filling in brows
Gel eyeliner on top lid.
Eyeliner gently applied in bottom lash line. Nice definition without looking obvious. Just fuller looking lashes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 3:37:00 AM More reviews by PaperAlias

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a matte, cool grayish taupe cream shadow. This one seems to be a bit drier than the Color Tattoos I have with shimmer (Bad to the Bronze and Audacious Asphalt), so it's a little harder for me to blend with fingers (a brush makes it a little easier).

I like to use this to define my crease or outer corner, as a lid color for a smokey eye, or as a base for powder shadows in a similar color family. This will crease on me after a few hours without a primer, but on primed lids this stays put all day.

When I heard about this I thought it could replace my MAC Paint Pot in "Quite Natural" but this shade is much cooler. Very gray; it doesn't look as flattering on my warm skin tone all by itself, but I think it's a nice transition color and base color.

Fairly inexpensive; USD$6-$9. No scent. Lovely glass jar packaging. I think the quality is good for a drug store product. I think I would repurchase again because I like using it with other shadows.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by hahalex21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The color of this product does not come off as it looks in the jar. I bought it because I thought it'd be a nice taupe to have, but it comes out a really disgusting gray color. It goes on patchy, has next to no staying power. It's just overall an ugly product, I think it should be discontinued.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

I was very excited to try this out. I'm a big fan of taupes and maybelline. it goes on well, color pay off is very nice. You can use a little or build it up to be a dark taupe. My only con: it dries up super fast. I wasn't even denting the jar and I had to get rid of it because it dried up.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Taraelizabeth6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

a gray, smeary mess. worst eyeshadow ever.

bright side: may be a good eye primer

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by alg208

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

this was my second maybelline color tattoo. i originally bought bad to the bronze. i like this more because i fancy matte shades more than shimmery. this is definitely wearable, like bad to the bronze. it shows up like a soft brown with a hint of gray on your lid. my only complaint is on this one the packaging is screwed up because it doesn't close as smoothly as the other one i own. the pricing isn't bad, about $5 - $7 depending on where you live. it works just as well as mac paint pots and benefit creaseless cream shadows, it doesn't dry out as fast as mac paint pots though, which is good. overall, i love this product a lot. it doesn't crease throughout the day. i doubt it stays on for 24 hours, but who wears their makeup for 24 hours? i love this so much and i'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend $18 - $22 on a cream eyeshadow/base.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by magnifiquee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first colour tattoo purchase and so far so good! I expected this colour to be a little more purpley as that's what it looks like to me in the container . It went on more dark grey but it was nice. Very easy to apply with a stiff shader brush or even your fingers if you wanted. I expected it to be way more creamy and crease but after I applied it, it felt powdery on the lid and didn't crease at all! I will definitely be trying the rest of these because they can be great as a wash of colour on the lid or even as a base for eyeshadow. These are also very affordable for a cream shadow and the container is sanitary and nice, love the screw on top. Would recommend to people looking for good drugstore cream shadows.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by jaycarr

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tough as Taupe is not the best of the Maybelline Color Tattoo shadows. I have Bad to the Bronze and love it. Tough As Taupe creases like crazy! Sometimes my lids get oily but this is the only Color Tattoo that has no staying power whatsoever on its own. I didn't use an additional primer with it and within a few hours the oil had cracked through. I have medium brown skin and the color is nice under lighter eyeshadows. Also,once you finish the first layer the color is completely different! It's a darker, grainier taupe. Ill continue to use it with a primer but it's definately not the best one in the line IMO.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by nailtrip

These little gems are great, after primer I put these on my lids for a base and the shadow really last all day.Not sure about 24 hours but who really needs make up on for that long lol. Also these work great as a regular shadow,they blend well with each other and do not crease which is great.No smearing or smudging around. I love these and invested in mostly all the colors. Will continue to buy their great, so a little tip some of the shades are hard to blend so use those as a base.