Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

on 6/18/2013 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought a few of the color tattoo shadows, expecting Tough as Taupe to be my favorite as I'm a sucker for taupes and muted browns. Well, first off, this shade is NOT a true taupe when applied as it looks in the container. It's a matte GREY (think Copperplate by MAC), which is okay, but not the taupey color I was expecting (something close to Groundwork paint pot). It does not apply as smoothly as the other shades, so I cannot wear this by itself as I was hoping to since it does not go on evenly and wears off quite easily. I guess I will use it as a neutral base for layering shadows, because this thing does not look flattering on its own; it gives a tired/sullen look almost.

Just like all of the other color tattoos, I like this best applied with my fingertips. It is a drier formula than the other color tattoos but it has held up just as well as the other shades I bought as the same time (well over a year ago). Tough as Taupe should be called Good Ol' Grey in my opinion as it is a perfect cool toned, matte grey (no brown that I can see) that can be worn alone for a simple, matte look (always over a primer for me) or topped with shadows if you want a look with shimmer. My quick 2 minute eye look lately has been a medium brown in the crease, Tough as Taupe on my lids topped with a shimmery shadow (MAC Grand Entrance 90% of the time), liner, & mascara. If you want a quick, wearable "smokey eye" apply Tough as Taupe on your lid, a grey/black shadow in the outer corner, blend everything out with the crease color of your choice, add liner & mascara and you are good to go.

on 6/17/2013 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really enjoy the few color tattoos that appear as matte or satin. They are the easiest to apply from the set and the matte base it provide enables any color going over these to pop - both in color and in texture.

Tough as Taupe can also serve as a one-and-go shadow on the lid, providing either a smoky finish or a very sheer hint of color to the lid. Highly blendable and buildable - however, as a cream, you'll want to watch the degree to which you build if you have oily eyelids. It can also be used as a crease shade for many fairer skinned individuals (I range from NC40 to NC44, depending on sun exposure and product used).

I prefer these to MAC paint pots. For me, the MAC paint pots crease but the Maybelline color tattoos do not. Maybelline Color Tattoo cost less as well. Very versatile but I had not rate them only a 4 on the packaging as they are sold in glass containers that are not practical for travel or busy, somewhat clumsy individuals like myself. That being said, I had one drop about 32 inches last night and the jar did not crack.

on 6/15/2013 7:02:00 PM

Unfortunately cream eyeshadows do not work for me as my lids are very oily! Even if I use NARS eye primer under it I still see creasing by the end of the day. I wish I loved it because the colour is nice and very buildable. If I want it sheer I can do it, if I want it darker and bolder I can do that too. It does fade throughout the day, and with my oily lids it fades considerably. I do like to wear this under my lashline, or for a very simple barley there look I grab a angled brush and line my top lashline with this. The colour is nothing incredible, except the fact that it's matte and from the drugstore! I do LIKE the colour, and I'm sure the formula works for those with normal skin/lids. I would not repurchase just because it doesn't work my skin type, and I can replicate the barely there liner look with a powder eyeshadow. I don't think I'll ever be in a position to have to repurchase it because I barely use it and if I do it's only a little bit, so I probably won't run out haha.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Tough as Taupe isn't super sexy or exciting, but I keep picking it back up. It's great for my everyday, I-totally-just-woke-up-like-this look that I can slap on without even thinking about it. It's a cream, not a shimmer, and goes on the lids a greyish brown. Some other reviewers have compared it to mud - that's not far off, but it turns out mud looks pretty good on my eyes. I use just a little bit all over the lid, building it up a little more towards the lashline and then blending it out at the crease. Sometimes I add liner, but that by itself gives my eyes some natural looking definition, and with a little mascara it's the perfect subtle work makeup. I have also used an eyeliner brush to blend a little onto my lower lashline, and it looks nice and soft, and not overly "done".

The texture is much dryer than some of the other Color Tattoos I own, and I've had the best luck applying it with my EcoTools concealer brush - the brush picks up a good amount of product, and it applies smoothly and evenly, then I finish blending it out with a fingertip. I have tried using another primer underneath, but it just seemed to make it harder to blend out. I get 4-6 hours before it creases, but since I usually wear it by itself, I can blend it out with a finger and keep it looking neat for a full work day.

Knocked off a point for the creasing and the dryer texture, but it's a solid workhorse that I keep on hand for those crazy panicked mornings (like, at least three times a week.)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

For those having trouble blending these shadows, try using Sonia kashuk's duo fibre eye shadow brush. It works like a mini MAC 187--perfect for creams. I've been using Jessie's girl or fergie for WnW as a primer under cream/liquid shadows lately, and my supremely oily eyelids are crease-free for a good 8 hours.

Tough as taupe really went above and beyond the competitors by being double-duty. I have tried and set aside both benefit cream shadow and MAC paint pots, but I enjoy color tattoos. On my dark brown brows (neutral), tough as taupe is surprisingly awesome. It also makes a great base for my new favorite eyeliner, rimmel taupe. Wonderful combo for a bottom lash liner.

Even the packaging is wonderful, very sturdy. Highly recommended, for brows and eyes!

on 5/30/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was the first Maybelline Color Tattoo that I have bought, but it hasn't been the last. I have noticed the performance is different across the board. This one doesn't have the best performance, but it isn't horrible.

This is a muddy grey. It is hard to get it to apply evenly, but it is possibly to get it even. You just have to work with it. I find this works best when applied with a brush and you need to work with it pretty quick because it sets even quicker.

If is really hot it will crease and I find it works best and looks best with a grey powder setting it. I don't wear this often, but it does lend itself well to certain sultry looks. :)

on 5/21/2013 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

The Color Tattoo line sounded intriguing to me--I figured that the products would somewhat resemble Paint Pots in texture and appearance.
"Tough as Taupe" caught my eye one day as a was speeding through the makeup aisle.
The color through the jar appeared to be a very pretty purplish-tinged taupe,
so into my cart it went. Upon opening the jar, and running my (clean!) finger across the product surface, my jaw dropped open! The purplish taupe "skin" on top gave way
to the ugliest muddiest color that I'd ever laid eyes on.
Trying to be optimistic, I put some on my eyelids in hopes that this color looked better on me than in the jar. Not! Two very muddy looking eyes are what stared back at me,
and it took forever to get it off.
I just hope that I can dig up that receipt!

on 5/21/2013 1:44:00 PM

Terrible. Compared with the other tattoos, this has no staying power at all - it creases on me within a couple of hours. The colour is awful - more muddy than taupe. It is much darker than it looks in the pot. You could spend your hard-earned money on this, or you could rub some mud on your lids - it would have about the same result.

EDIT: I disliked this so much I gave it away.

on 5/21/2013 1:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Not happy with this product. Bought this in hopes that it would be a dupe for Mac's paint pots. And at first it seemed to work quite well. Unfortunately I've had this maybe 4 months and it is completely dried out and unworkable. I've had Mac paint pots a year and they are still creamy. For me I'd rather spend just a little more and have it last longer.