December 20, 2014 | 1318 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 10:19:00 AM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased two of these compacts one to keep with my makeup and one for my purse. I read the reviews about purchasing a better puff so that kind of sucked, but is so true. In my daily make-up routine I only use this under my eyes after foundation and before loose powder to brighten. It blends well but I usually forget this step when I'm in a rush, so it's not crucial. The one I keep in my purse is for blotting (use with a very light hand) but I find myself using it more just for the mirror. It's cheap, nice to have and I'd probably would repurchase it when I feel I need a fresh one. NW/NC 25 or Light-Medium with Neutral/Beige Undertone and I found this to be much lighter then my natural coloring.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by leoisillon

I recently purchased this product based on all the great MUA reviews. At first I didn't like it because I thought it was a bit too translucent to the point to where it left my skin looking white. But a small amount of blending takes care of that problem for the most part. The product blends quite nicely and makes my oilies go buh-bye.I agree with everyone else on the packaging, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. It's just very basic, but for that price I won't complain. I will finish this one up and not repurchase. I prefer something that doesn't make my skin look pale. I have darker skin and this kind of "chalks" it out.

Edit: this product is growing on me! I lost the sponge (meaning I trashed it) and started using a portable kabuki brush to apply just a little bit on my t-zone. I love the results!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 7:06:00 PM More reviews by jusbeinme263

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! It mattes out your foundation and is not powdery. It's definitely translucent,it has no color to it. I really like it, a very nice product for the inexpensive price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by breathecaroline

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Despite it's cheap packaging and cheap price, it's really good. I expected it to look chalky on my skin since I got it in Translucent but it didn't. It blended right in and looked invisible. It also set my concealer and foundation and lasted a long time. But, I probably won't buy again because of the cheap packaging. I can't take it anywhere without worrying it's going to break.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this product every day! I have very oily skin and even with exfoliation, blotting sheets, and powder, I still get shiny within an hour or so of doing myself up. This powder doesn't fix that, but it makes my skin look good for a while. That's really the best I can ask for, as I know there is no "miracle" product that is going to make my skin stop producing oil. However, this powder makes me matte for a while, is invisible on my skin (unless I really dump it on), doesn't break me out, and is very inexpensive. I will continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by fitmom2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the loose powder in this, and I must say..this is trully a little fortune inside this compact.

My other "cheaper" powder brand is and has always been Coty powder (which I cannot find in ANY drugstores right now---hope it's not discontinued)...anyhow, Coty is HUGE, and COVERS just as well (a bit more) and doesn't come off TOO chalky--but NYC is actually right about the same..but silkier..making this almost my #1 powder!! And this is the best cheapest powder you will find!

I'm tan a bit, but I use bronzer anyways. Ladies, if you are tan or dark...you can still use this..just mix it with some darker powder or use Bronzer all over your face AFTER applying this stuff ontop of your foundation.

This works REALLY well with GOOD quality foundation.

I use Hard Candy Primor first (simply the best and now sold at Walmart for just $8.00!!),

Then I use Estee Lauder Double Wear (BEST for oily/acne prone skin..not to mention-Fantasitc coverage!)

Then I use THIS NYC powder to set...and omg..simply flawless--and for hours and hours..:)

I don't mind that the packaging is cheap..because most compacts are in drugstores..but yes, this one is a bit "cheaper". But i have the loose and the compact now. And I just put my compact along in my purse..and hardly need to use it, due to this stuff lasts a LONG way!

What a wonderful product..there are SOME misunderstood makeup out there..however, THIS is one that many should be using..:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by punkrockzoie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've repurchased probably 3 or 4 times. Love this stuff! Better than Revlon's Colorstay powder, not to mention several dollars cheaper. I paid less than 3 bucks at target.
This stuff is great as a setting powder, and to mattify my face when it gets oily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2010 8:54:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The packaging really sucks as it looks and feels cheap, plus the applicator sponge provided is a joke (I totally tossed that out and purchased a 3 pack of powder sponges at Walmart for $2), but the actual powder inside is really good. It is finely milled, blends easily, and does a great job of keeping my T-zone in check. This powder doesn't oxidize nor change the colour of my foundation. I have been using it for the last month at it preforms as well as MAC Blot powder (which was my HG for years). I paid $2.67 for the powder compact plus the additional cost of puffs for $2. Highly recommend!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by murphy817

I bought this powder on a desperate mission to cheaply replace my MAC blot that I shattered to pieces. I am very happy with this purchase so far. I like the consistency, it is smooth and keeps my oily t zone at bay for hours. I, however, don't particularly like the packaging of this product. Also, the sponge puff is worthless. I would advise people to purchase a powder puff and store in compact. But, eventhough I dislike the packaging, I can't complain since this powder does the job and I got it for only $1.99! I will always keep this powder in my bag so when I drop my bag, I won't have a fit when it shatters. Also, I have product sensitive skin and I didn't break out yet. *Fingers Crossed*

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by lilaleahg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For starters I am very, very pale. I'm like an Edward Cullen look-a-like in terms of paleness.

This powder is great. It helps set my liquid foundation for hours on end. It even helps cover up my acne.

HOWEVER....one thing that this powder did not help was my paleness. As many of the reviewers have already stated, pale/fair light skinned people like myself shouldn't use this product. It makes your face really powdery. The powder particles stand out against your light-colored skin, making it visible.

I tried everything to avoid the powdery-look. I'd clean my puff pad, I'd apply it in a circular motion like a translucent gothic version of blush, I'd crush it up and use it as a form of loose powder, I'd do just about EVERYTHING possible.

And did any of it work?

Noooo....

If not for the powdery look, I'd still use this product as a face powder.

On a positive note, I still use this to help set my eyeshadow. It works everytime. It's just saddening that I can't use this stuff to its full potential, but for just $1.99, who the hell can complain? continued >>