October 1, 2014 | 1346 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Nurica88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased in an attempt to find something that is heavier coverage than clinique acne/sensitive foundation.
I was told it is great for both sensitive and oily skin and they WEREN'T LYING!
It is rare to find something that my skin doesnt react to, so i do love this product BUT
1-it is VERY thick. more full cvg than i originally wanted
2- i think it is VERY expensive.

that being said, it has lasted a few months so far. The tube however is difficult to get the last bit of product out of it so a lot goes to waste.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by volcaniclungs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is kind of thick, but it applies on my face nicely. It has build-able coverage (remember to let the 1st layer settle in) and still looks quite natural for the second layer. I can still somewhat see my blemishes, but it evens out everything. I would say that it lasts for 12 hours, but if you have oily skin like mine, the foundation could come off whenever you touch your face. When that happens, I usually use oil blotting papers or tissues to lightly pat my face to remove most of the oils. Since I have oily skin, it doesn't dry out my face, and it also doesn't make me break out, which is great because my skin is acne-prone. I've used this for more than a year now, and I wouldn't mind buying another bottle after the current one runs out, but it is pricey. I also noticed recently is that it is oxidizing/turning slightly orange. This didn't happen before, but now I'm on a search for a new foundation that doesn't oxidize as much, otherwise you can tell the difference between the shade of my face from my neck.

TL;DR: Thick foundation, better applied with clean fingers than a brush, build-able coverage that looks pretty natural for the 2nd layer, lasts for 12 hours, doesn't dry out skin or contribute to break outs, started to somewhat oxidize after months of using it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by JuicyGirl25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to try a more organic foundation... I regret it. I ended up breaking out horribly in less than a week! This looked good upon first application at Ulta...but overall this is cakey and mask like. It also is not long wearing....I look patchy by the end of the day. It is a mousse like consistency too..supposed to be light weight but it feels heavy to me. The only plus is the packaging is easy for travel and it is 1.7oz where other brands offer 1.0 oz. I would not recommend this product. I'm returning it. Now I have to fix my skin that was blemish free prior to trying this.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 1:44:00 AM More reviews by JLeah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have fair skin So i liked the fact that this foundation actually came in nice fair skin colors. I also liked the fact that it did not oxidize over time . It had a nice feel to it and the coverage was good . however for myself it dried out my skin, mainly my forehead. SO all in all it is a good foundation however i would recommend trying it out first to see if it works for your skin . i have combination skin (oily in the summer dry in the winter , o the joy) I would have loved to keep using it but it just dried out my skin to much. great texture I liked the clay feeling .
hope this helps those who are looking to purchasing this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by bagmad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I have ever used and I've used many HE brands - Dior Forever (which is pretty good), Chanel Perfection Lumiere (so so, no staying power), YSL Éclat (sinks into my pores), Guerlain Perure Lumiere (also not bad). Where the Tarte foundation stands out is it's texture, consistency and the beautiful finish it leaves.

As I am older (fair with normal skin veering to combination t-zone) and live in the tropics, I pile on a lot of products before foundation - toner, skin lightener, 2 types of serum, moisturiser, SPF and primer - and I thus have quite a sticky sometimes greasy and slippery surface before my foundation goes on and any foundation has to contend with all these other products that I have applied ahead of it. No easy task, and through much trial and error, I know that liquidy and compact (solid) foundations don't work as well, owing to the slippery/sticky base that I already have on. So it's not the fault of the other brands that many have given me average results because I know I have not given them an easy base to work with/blend into.

Enter this Tarte foundation. Its texture is more creamy and thicker than liquid so there is less slip, and when buffed into my skin with a stippling brush, it absorbs and blends so well with all my other creams and SPF that it gives me such a flawless and seamless canvas that is matte yet glowy and not shiny and does not cake or emphasise lines at all. Many other good foundations used to leave me looking greasy because of the other products I have on but this one has such good synergy with everything else underneath, it is quite unbelievable. I don't even have to powder much, I just lightly dust with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. I live in a humid country as well, but the foundation doesn't melt off or disappear. If it helps, I use a light water based SPF and the Hourglass mineral veil primer before applying the foundation.

All in, I am very impressed and can't believe how beautifully it works, and compared to other HE brands, the price is totally worth it. To be honest, I will gladly pay double the price, given the fantastic results. This is really a keeper, and I couldn't be happier.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Jessehill

I swear by this foundation. I have tried a lot for my dry porcelain skin and was never satisfied until now! My skin tends to be pretty dry but the clay in this foundation really helped my skin to maintain a fresh glow all day. Its also waterproof! I know even when I'm caught in the rain or sweating bullets that my foundation is in tact. I definitely recommend it to anyone with extremely fair skin like me. I have it in the lightest shade and love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Sandy1213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hey guys! Just wanna let you know that sudania or whatever her name is took the time to send me a message to tell me how wrong I was about tarte! Lol! At like 4 in the morning too. She needs a life poor thing.... She says just because I'm too dark... Hmmm how does she figure I'm too dark? That's funny. Anyways I just wanna let everyone know it didn't work for me. I stated that it gave great coverage! And it may work for some people! Good for you if it does! I was disappointed that it didn't work for me. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's what MUA is for anyway right? There are lots of things people review about that I don't agree with but I don't stalk the person an send them multiple emails. Poor girl. She really likes that foundation I guess lol. So to everyone it works for great for you! To those of us who couldn't find a color match with the few they offer on to the next foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by CountessOfPerth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this foundation; I have it in Fair Sand, the lightest shade, which can look somewhat yellow but if my skin is moisturized, this foundation glides over my skin and looks totally natural, so it's a pretty decent color match, though Tarte is notorious for having yellow foundations, so be sure to swatch in store before you buy.
I know people say they find this foundation hydrating, but for me, if my skin is not completely plump, soft, and moisturized, this clings like nothing else and I literally have to wash it off my face. But since I do tend to keep my skin hydrated, this has become my go-to foundation.
It has a thick, cream texture and I find it works best with my ELF flat-top powder brush. This does have really great coverage and has a nice semi-matte finish. It definitely doesn't last 12 hours (and I have dry skin), but that's no big deal for me.
This is worth a try. I think the biggest problem for most people will be the color match and the clinging to dry patches.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:39:00 AM More reviews by Sudania

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE IT! THE SHADE LOOKS GREAT ON ME!! The consistency is perfect..not runny like water, you squeeze a dollup and you can turn your hand upside down and it wont drip! soo light and fluffy.
Goes on the skin like a dream
you can blend it with your hands even if you are on the go and you dont have time to blend with a brush for precision! this is amazing also when used with a beauty blender brush. Skin looks flawless!
TARTE,PLEASE CONTINUE MAKING THIS PERFECTION!
Dont listen to reviews by sandy1213...there are many shades. they dont need to cater to every single human.Just because you were too dark for a foundation,doesnt mean they are not carrying a variety.
the more colors, the more confusion! I would hate to walk into a store and see 10000000 different shades. If you dont liek whats offered there are many companies that cater to dark skin(Iman,Queen Latiah collection,Milani,etc) they do it by the majority of the world. The majority of the world fit in the shades given by Tarte.
You know a foundation is amazing when you can go shades lighter and it still looks perfect on you. This molds to your skin! it looks like it was made for you! I called Sephora before going there to see if they have the shade I want, and the woman told me they did but it was the last one in stock! she saved it in my name :D I looked at the other products and people took EVERYTHING! I dont blame them,Tarte is a great brand. This is coming from a dedicated DIE HARD NARS gal!
Love the packaging! soo easy to use, a break from the foundation in a bottle that you have to pump out. Sorry Nars :(
you squeeze it out like toothpaste and I don't feel like Im wasting any product because no product is getting stuck in the "pump" or nozzle. It just goes from in the tube and out a small hole! the bamboo top is soo cute! not only is it cute but it goes with the theme of the brand. Also, it makes for an easy grip! unlike plastic or glass where your hands have to be 100% dry to open. The wood gives you a good grip,whether your hands are wet/damp/dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:03:00 AM More reviews by gaiLyghia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

1 star for good coverage, and another 1 for matching my skin tone perfectly. I'm using this foundation inconsistently for almost a month. Whenever I use this my face will be AWESOME for the first five hours and after that it will start looking dry and blotchy but my T-zone is shiny and oily.