July 24, 2014 | 2199 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I bought it in the shade Medium. It came in a TSV that I bought from QVC. There was also included amongst other things, the brush that they sell that they recommend you apply it with. This foundation has sort of a weird smell to it. I find that it, if use the brush to apply it with, it doesn't go on right. And, I can't really build up coverage that way. I don't know how to get full coverage with this foundation, no matter what other methods I've tried. Also, when it sets, I sorts feel like I have this hype of clay mask on my face, as it feels drying to my skin. And, it also gives this heavy makeup feel to my face as well.

The Medium shade is a tad lighter than my actual skin. But, I still used it anyway. And, would a bit of bronze over it to help warm it up some.

I really was not very impressed with this foundation at all. The only way that I would get it again, is if it came in a Tarte TSV that offered products within it that I really wanted to try. Otherwise, I would care buy it on its own. As, it's way overpriced, and there's nothing all too special about it anyways.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in light-medium beige for pink undertones and let me say that the color is amazing. The product itself is thick, kinda mousse like and gives my face a matte finish but because of the pink undertones it allows the makeup to stay on my face without washing me out. It gives me just the right amount of healthy flush. Other than the gorgeous color payoff that's the only thing I like about this foundation. I assumed the coverage was to my liking until I compared it to my Rimmel London Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation from the drugstore that was only around $5 where as the Tarte was $38 from Sephora. The Rimmel gives me flawless full coverage that makes my acne flared up face look so clean and clear. For 33 more dollars I got the Tarte which actually gave me very light almost nothing coverage. I am very disappointed now that I have compared it to a much loved drugstore foundation. Sure the tube is cute while being sanitary, the brand is awesome for being cruelty free but the coverage is enough for me to not buy it again. For something I bought that was so expensive I will probably only use it for errand running days but other than that nothing else. After going back to my much loved Rimmel foundation that was so dirt cheap and realizing how little coverage this Tarte gave me I just can't get into the whole high end brands hype. I really do take back my original review of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by prettydarncute

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I am 50+ have had skin problems all my life. Lots of scaring still very oily. This is the first foundation that works for ME. Just because I love it does not mean that its right for you. I went for years trying all kinds of foundation from expensive high end to drugstore brands. I was lucky enough to find this because Saphora offers ample samples enough for you to try out products for at least a week. They have me hooked. Believe me there are plenty of products I tried that were terrible for wrinkles, cover ups, lipsticks, eye shadows etc. Do yourself a favor take a trip to Sephora and try them all. Easy to return items after purchases also. Stop buying crap at the drug store!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Madysen08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this foundation. I was looking for something I could use instead of the Este Lauder Double Wear. I love the DW but I try really hard to use products with less crap and parabens so this was recommended to me. The color selection is great. I have fair pink undertones which I find I hard to match sometimes because a lot of foundations come out too dark and orangey. PROS- -Does NOT break me out. Which says a lot considering I have very acne prone skin and tend to fall asleep with my makeup on from time to time. (I know I'm bad). -Matches me perfectly. CONS- -If I don't prime and set my foundation it doesn't last as long as the Double Wear but that's fine and I don't mind touching up. And granted it lasts MUCH longer than most foundations. That's about it. I would definitely repurchase this. I really enjoy Tarte products.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

I was disappointed by this foundation. I have wanted to try this foundation for well over a year. It seemed totally up my alley. I have oily skin with breakouts and acne scars and I need something that will hold up on my skin. I also loved that this foundation had amazonian clay which is supposed to help balance the skin. I'm coming to the conclusion that higher-end foundations are just not that impressive to me. Sure the ingredients might be better quality, but nothing even comes close to my Covergirl Stay Fabulous or Revlon Colorstay. This foundation makes me overly shiny within 4 hours. With my other foundations, they last ALL DAY. I don't look overly shiny until about 9-10 hours of wear. This foundation also settled into lines on the side of my mouth... which at 23, I wasn't even aware I had until wearing this foundation. This foundation claims to be a 12 hour foundation. I wouldn't say this foundation broke-down on my skin, got patchy or funky throughout the day (and I wore this foundation for about 12 hours), but just made me look super oily and shiney... even on areas of my face that normally do not get shiny. And when I blotted and lighly powdered my skin, it looked fine for about an hour and I was oily again.

Bottom line, save your money. This is a nice foundation, but not worth $38. For $10 you can get the Covergirl or Revlon and your makeup will look gorgeous all day. The only skin type I can really see this foundation working on is normal to slightly combo skin. If you are oily or dry, stay away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have found my holy grail liquid foundation! I like full coverage because I have a lot of old acne scars, broken capillaries, uneven tone, etc. etc. This foundation covers all of that and leaves me with an airbrushed finish, even when I use my fingers to smear it on my face in the morning. (Sometimes I use a brush if I have meetings, works really well with brushes also). I love that it doesn't get cakey at all, I don't have to set it with powder, and it's very pigment dense without having to use a lot of product. And it's so creamy that if you wanted to mix it with moisturizer, you could. (I did this on a Saturday morning before grocery shopping in a hurry and was very pleased by the results).

I was using Jane Iredale's BB cream before this and found that in very dry winter climate it was caking up and causing dry, flaky skin. It was gross, so I tossed it. I have found a much better (and much less expensive) foundation that stands up to the elements and makes me look presentable!

For those with dry skin that are afraid to try this, buy a tube! I use this foundation on top of an oil serum and a heavy moisturizer without any issues whatsoever. It's perfect and I will continue to buy this foundation as long as it's available!

For reference, I'm a yellow NC25 and the Light Sand shade works beautifully for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Brinaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my go to foundation when I need a full coverage flawless face. I find that this goes on extremely smooth when applied with a foundation kabuki brush and I can achieve a very nice airbrushed effect. I am currently using the sigma round kabuki and before that I used the urban decay optical blurring brush, they are very similar and both work wonderfully with the tarte foundation. I have oily/combination acne prone skin (dry patches from acne treatments) and I've never experienced any trouble with this foundation caking up, or breaking me out. I even broke the rules and would sleep in my make up from time to time and never experienced a break out from it, and trust me when I say that someone could say pimple and I would wake up with one. In my opinion it doesn't feel heavy on the skin at all, which is a huge plus for a full coverage foundation as most feel heavy on the skin. This is a great foundation, from a wonderful make up line. Worth every penny.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by superluminal123

I really wanted to love this foundation! The ingredients are great and what not but it was mostly a miss.
I apply with a damp beauty blender
Pros:
Neat packaging with a squeeze bottle
Good ingredients

Cons:
Not good for dry skin- accentuates dry patches and can look cakey
Did cause minor breakout

It does seem to melt into skin after a certain period of time though! I don't like it very much and will not be repurchasing but it works well enough where i can wear it for special occasions. I feel bad because it was quite pricey!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Samha246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this foundation for so long, but when I finally bought it, I was so disappointed. It did not go on smoothly and looked cakey around my acne. Though the color was the perfect match for my yellow-light skin tone, I had to return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Makingupmeg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I first discovered Tarte this last summer at Ulta, foundation is one of my makeup essentials. I have pretty oily skin in the summer, normal in the winter. I wanted a foundation that didn't break me out, offered great coverage and wasn't made with a bunch of chemicals--your skin absorbs anything you put on it! The sales rep that helped me pointed Tarte out to me, color-matched me to Light-Med Sand which was an exact match for the summer (Light Neutral for winter.) Since I've been using this foundation for six months I have an honest opinion about it: It's worth every penny of that $40. This makeup blends into my skin like butter, lasts all day, doesn't break me out and makes my skin look unbelievably flawless--I get compliments for once about my skin! I don't have a problem with my oil breaking through either, especially since I first purchased this in July so the summer could put it up to the test. The key to using full-coverage foundation is to layer! Don't squeeze out a huge blob, apply small amounts and layer more only where needed. I like to use my foundation brush from the Coastal Scents brush set, followed with my flat-top buffer brush to blend everything in. A little bit goes such a long way with this makeup, which pays for the price! I get the occasional breakout, but I've noticed my skin clarity has improved since using this foundation! I have finally, after countless bottles and tubes, found my holy grail foundation!