Almay Get Up and Grow

3.5

Aqua (Water), Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Cera Alba ((Beeswax) Cire D'Abeille), Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Hydrogenated Polycyclopentadiene, C30-45 Alkyl Dimethicone, Cera Carnauba ((Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax) Cire de Carnauba), Trisiloxane, Triethanolamine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Bis-Vinyl Dimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters, Isosteareth-200 Linoleate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Phytantriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Nylon-6, Simethicone, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Black 2 (CI 77266), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499).

on 12/17/2012 8:34:00 PM

I have a serious love/hate relationship with this mascara.

Part of me loves it -
Perfect formula -- not too wet or too dry
Perfect Applicator - Not plasticky or spindly (I'm looking at you cat eyes)
Perfect look - fuller & longer lashes, with a natural look - My lashes but better.

Part of me hates it - After wearing it for a few days, I experienced the same smudgy panda eyes that other reviewers have mentioned.

But, I liked the good parts so much, that couldn't just give up on it. I used it for a few weeks, tinkering around to try to figure out a way to make it work. UD setting spray helps to keep panda eyes at bay. So does not opening your eyes too wide soon after application and waving the brush around for a few seconds before applying. None of these things completely ameliorated the problem and, with a heavy heart, I tossed the mascara.

A few days later, while putting on some false eyelashes, I realized how much longer and fuller my real lashes had become over the past month. It was Get Up and Grow!

Since then I have re-purchased it but in the waterproof version. It smudges less than the waterproof version, but there is still some smudging.

I keep wearing it and continually trying to figure out a way to MacGuyver this stuff so that it doesn't smudge.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this mascara for about eight dollars at Walgreens. To get straight to the point, I really hate it! :( Within four hours, I had black smudges under my eyes and little flakes all over my cheeks. It gave me decent length and good volume, but little separation. I found that it made my lashes look clumpy. As far as the "get up and grow" factor goes, I didn't notice any improvement in my lashes. Overall, I'm very disappointed with this product. I usually like Almay mascaras, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this one.

on 12/9/2012 6:32:00 AM

I'm confused by the good reviews. I understand that I may have more problems with smudging and flaking than other people, but if I have serious raccoon eyes after 3 (THREE) hours, how does anyone not have some of that? By the end of the day, I don't think anything was left on my lashes! I tested this without any undereye concealer and it still didn't work.

on 11/20/2012 5:17:00 PM

***HG*** I love this stuff! I didn't really care about the whole "get up an grow" thing, because that's not what it does for me. I have long lashes already, but not thick ones. What this does is it adds thickness and volume without adding more length, which would make me look like a clown. The color is perfect too, black, but not so black that it looks like my stage makeup. PERFECT!!!! MUST HAVE!!! Really great for a drugstore!

*from the perspective of a 14 year old*

on 11/20/2012 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Well, that's what I get for buying a mascara based on a YT review and NOT on MUA reviews. Sigh. This mascara is yet another in a long line of disappointments. Barely noticeable with 3 coats, doesn't hold curl at all, and flaked and smudged all around my eyes each time I wore it. I can't tell you if it helped with "growth" (though I highly doubt it could), since I got rid of it after a week... which I think is a record, because I usually try to make mascaras work for me. Very unhappy with this product and would not buy again under any circumstances.

on 11/8/2012 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this mascara. It has a nice wand that seperates my lashes, and the product lasts all day. It is a bit dry on the lashes but it lasts all day. The color blackest black was not that black and I found after I used it for a bit the product dried up and got clumpy. I wish that is wasn't so dry otherwise it would be a really fantastic mascara

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love the brush on this, and love the fact that the tube clicks shut, but that is about it! This mascara smudges under my eyes and I have NEVER had this issue with any mascara. EVER! It's not very volumizing, lengthening, or black. Barely makes a dent in my lashes. I bought this based off emilynoel89's recs on YT, but this is a fail. It's a natural looking mascara that smudges. SO NOT WHAT I LOOK FOR! Goodbye jerk *throws in trash*

on 10/9/2012 9:18:00 PM

Raccoon eyes. That's really all I can say. It smudged within ONE HOUR of application. It did give a wonderful look of length and volume, and it's one of the VERY few non-waterproof mascaras that hold a curl. I simply cannot tolerate how badly it smudged, so I had to return it :(

on 10/3/2012 10:05:00 PM

I wouldn't buy this again, only because it smudges, flakes and rubs off under my eyes. I left two smeary marks on my massage therapist's face sheet thing that she drapes over the face donut on her table. I felt mortified! I always opt for the non waterproof mascaras as the waterproof are just too irritating to wash off (literally, my eyes can't take that much grief).

Having said that, I loved how black this was, really liked the shape of the brush and the ease of removal (heh). It didn't burn my eyes like some mascaras have, but I just find this too messy when I wear it. I have yet to find my HG mascara as they all either have been ok, or terrible at all the price points I've tried. I'll use this up, but won't rebuy. Luckily I get mascara every 2 months or so.

on 9/27/2012 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

I really like this mascara. It doesn't smudge (i don't have oily lids) or flake on me. Used this on bottom lashes (& i usually dont like to put mascara on them) & didnt budge. Good volume & length :) Nice, soft, fluttery looking lashes... & if the growing lashes part works, that's really just a bonus to me.

Popular Mascaras