October 20, 2014 | 1549 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by rebonjour

Me: Acne-prone, sensitive skin, prone to becoming dehydrated. Tends to get cyst-like breakouts when using oil-based products. Largely prefer 'natural' or 'simple' products.

A few years ago, the oil cleansing method was all the rage in the skincare field. People absolutely raved over the glowing, healthy nature of their skin. Though I was fascinated by the concept of OCM, I recognized that the lack of exfoliation associated with that routine would just cause acne for me. However, still interested in using oils on my face, I spent some time researching non-comedogenic oils and stumbled upon jojoba oil.

Many of the reviews I'd read claimed that jojoba oil nearly mimics the chemical composition and nature of our skin's own sebum. As a result, it would not clog pores, but instead, would help to regulate the skin's natural oil production. Sebum, a wax-like substance itself, does feel very similar in texture and fluidity to jojoba oil. I also learned that jojoba oil is used as a natural fungicide, along with other common anti-acne substances like tea tree oil.

The oil is a bright golden colour and absorbs quickly into the skin - something I was surprised at, considering that my skin typically takes a long time to absorb any form of added moisture. It doesn't provide an instantaneously moisturized skinfeel. Rather, after a couple of uses, the skin is noticeably softer and more moisturized. A bit of an oily residue is present for about 20 minutes after application. I would recommend using an amount slightly smaller than a dime. It should also be noted that an appropriate sunscreen should be used with this product, as any sort of oil on the skin can magnify and retract the rays of the sun, increasing UV exposure and sun damage.

The product can be used on all parts of the skin. I've found it to be an incredible effective moisturizer for the lips. It's excellent insofar as it can be used underneath a drying lipstick without changing the lipstick's sheen or consistency. It is also particularly beneficial as a cuticle oil for the nails. I have not experienced any breakouts as a result of this product and find it to be an effective, inexpensive all-purpose moisturizer.

I am also very happy that jojoba oil is (obviously) free of the silicones that tend to plague a lot of the moisturizers and serums on today's cosmetics counter. These tend to clog my pores and cause break outs. As a result, this oil is definitely a staple in my skincare cabinet.

A single bottle of this oil will last forever - with daily facial use, 4 months or so. Considering the price point of ~$15 (in Canada), it's a very inexpensive product. This product is packaged in a small, palm-sized clear plastic bottle with a pop cap. Jojoba oil doesn't oxidize that easily, so a clear bottle is appropriate in terms of packaging. However, I would prefer to see an amber-coloured glass bottle to prolong the shelf-life of this product (as it lasts forever).

BOTTOM LINE: An inexpensive, natural, quick-absorbing moisturizer that can be used on all parts of the skin. Does not clog pores or cause acne. An incredibly useful investment for skin of all types, though not a replacement for the more luxurious skinfeel of high-end moisturizers.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by LostInWonderland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this generally to stretch my ears, very versatile product. Great to have on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by lylasmum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using pure jojoba oil last summer after I read so many online reviews singing praises about it. BACKGROUND: I developed this strange irritation on my calves last summer for some unknown reason. I found that many people were experiencing the same problem I had, and many of them have gone undiagnosed even after seeing several doctors. I initially used Elocom cream on my itchy skin and although the cream provided immediate relief, it didn't completely clear up my skin. I was also worried about its side effects.

Then I read that that jojoba oil can help clear up skin irritations (acne, dermatitis, etc). So I decided to give it a go. I was so suprised that jojoba oil provided me immediate and drug-free relief and it's much cheaper than my Elocom cream. Jojoba oil completely cleared up my legs and I haven't had problems since. Now I use jojoba oil to moisturize all over, even my face. This wonder oil calms the oil glands on my face and I now find that even if I use it under make up during the day, my face doesn't really get shiny. And because my oil glands now don't overproduce oil, I seldom break out. Somehow my face also looks brighter when I use this oil under make up. My only complaints are: (1) The bottle cap is not good at all (after you remove the foil seal, the oil just leaks all over), and (2) this oil is not very cheap so I just always watch for it to go on sale. Also, I prefer organic but it does cost more than non-organic so I always just wait for it to go on sale then I buy 2-3 bottles each time. Having said that however, I think the cons outweigh the pros. I usually order mine from Well.ca.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by lukivo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited to start using Jojoba oil! I read reviews online on how people had tried everything for their acne, and this was their saving grace. I used it as a makeup remover/cleanser, and steamed it off with a warm face cloth. Then if my face felt a little dry I would apply a teensy amount. At first, my face was glowing! It was looking clear and beautiful... but after about a month of use, I started getting SERIOUS whiteheads on my t zone! It was so sad:( I've tried other OCM and none of them seem to work for me. If you struggle with whiteheads, I do not recommend this product for you. It is a nice moisturizer for your hair and body though, so that's how I'll be finishing the bottle off.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Sugacube

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Super moisturizing! I love jojoba oil, however there are better brands for this oil. I prefer to buy organic jojoba oil from rosemountain.com or oil blend serums from http://www.etsy.com/shop/Arysa

This one is good but I rather use one that is free of pest.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by dwautier

Made me breakout immediately and did not leave my skin feeling moisturized at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2013 6:08:00 AM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

cant say enough good things about tthis oil and can't recommend it more...love it ..gonna be staple in my skin and hair care regime ..LOVE

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my holy grail! Seriously, it doesn't make me break out...and trust me, lots of products do. I tried other oils and was not impressed (Argan Oil made my skin feel dry for some reason and I have oily, acne prone skin).
After I get out of the shower in the morning I apply this directly to my face and under my eyes. I also mix it in with my body lotion (I use an inexpensive Johnson & Johnson Cocoa Butter body lotion) and apply pretty much all over my body. Its great. Especially in the winter time. It sinks in to your skin (careful how much you use though...it can leave you oily if you use too much) and leaves me feeling sort of glowy and very moisturized. I think this is the first winter in a very long time that I haven't suffered from itchy rashy legs/skin and peeling on my face (typical winter side effects for my skin).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by megancya

I've been using this for years. I only apply this at night mixed in with my moisturizer and I am a firm believer that this product has helped reduce my acne scars. buy this stuff, you won't regret it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 2:24:00 AM More reviews by banshee6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh jojoba. We have such a long, semi-dysfunctional relationship. I keep coming back to you no matter how many times we break up. I think I love you.

I think jojoba is the best, natural makeup remover oil. It dissolves waterproof mascara & stubborn MMU with minimal time & effort. Plus it doesn't leave a greasy mess behind.

I always use it to take off eye makeup. It's one of the few things which never irritates or dries out my eyes. However, it can leave a bit of a film even tissue blotting AND wiping it off with a wet cotton pad. That can travel into eyes & make mascara prone to smudge undereye the next day, provided residue is not cleaned off with a separate remover. Especially if you're like me (frequently fall asleep with makeup on) & need to wake up with everything still in tact. ;p

I've used jojoba for a good 10+ years now, so I think I know it well. It will dehydrate imo (using water or not) if you use it exclusively & have normal to dry skin, since it tricks skin into thinking it's producing oil. Using it with a hyaluronic acid serum &/or on wet skin helps stave that off some. If you're acne prone....I feel pretty safe with it. For those with skin that doesn't fancy hemp, olive, safflower, & especially NOT castor as carriers, having jojoba around is a must. It nearly always calms my skin down & has some protective properties.

Specifically I know when I'm buying Desert Essence, I'm getting a brand which is relatively available, not overly processed, free of chemicals, & somewhat decently priced.

In summary, jojoba oil, namely Desert Essence, is something I feel I can trust.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No