September 17, 2014 | 1997 users online

Highlighters - Yves Saint Laurent - Touche Eclat No 1

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2010 11:24:00 AM More reviews by chrissygalpal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This an easy product to use. And it works. Great for adding life to your skin. Great hightlighter. Its smooth on the skin and easy to blend. You can use it with foundation or by itself. I love to use it on the brow bone and above my lips and on the inside corner of my eyes. You only need to use one click. Goes a long way.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 4:36:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am going to write a review on this product although i don't own it at the present moment (have owned it in the past, thus belatedly).

First of all- this product is not a concealer. It is clearly stated on the website of YSL, this pen is a highlighter meant to 'brighten the complexions and eliminate signs of fatigue'. to all the ladies who complained it didn't cover dark circles- well, it wasn't even meant to do so.

I personally believe it is not worth it and i am going to tell you why (from my personal experience). While on the website they praise the universality of shade #1, stating it's a 'universal' shade, suitable for every skintone and skin type, it is not quite like this.

The product, being a highlighter, comes in three shades which is confusing. The #1 is on the pink side and indeed, it just gives glow and brightens the area; but the orangey, beigy, more flesh-tinted #3 (i think, i don't remember exactly which number) can be confused with a concealer because, well, how many highlighters would you need? it is indeed difficult to decide without expert advice and the SA's are usually not well informed unfortunately.

it's quite simple. as long as you don't confuse it with a concealer it's all okay. i personally wouldn't pay so much money (again) for a product that has been duped by so many other brands, including the aforementioned ones here, in this review thread- Chanel, Clinique, Clarins, even Maybelline and L'Oreal. However, you have to be careful.

L'Oreal's Touche Magique is NOT a highlighter; they made the same mistake many people make and thought YSL's pen was a concealer; therefore, they tried duping it. The result- white paste with a beautiful shimmer and good highlighting properties, but it gives the skin a white-ish residue (like a concealer, because it's supposed to 'cover') and that's a deal breaker. Many women wrongfully assumed it was a concealer and weren't happy with the limited shade palette or with the lack of coverage; when they used it as a highlighter, they complained about the 'residues', because that was what the product was initially intended for.

getting back at the YSL one, well all you have to do to get good results are to follow the instructions on the website if you're not sure where exactly to apply it to get the illuminating effect as they advertise.

however, my problem with this product has been that it is NOT just a simple highlighter. no matter how much they tried, the product still leaves a 'mark', leaves residue where the illumination only was supposed to be. i literally end up with raccoon eyes and i HATE having a white-ish area under my eyes. it ages my face, it gives an unnatural impression (especially in summer or when i'm using a bronzer, which is quite every day), therefore i stopped using it (maaaany many months ago). i'd rather invest in a good concealer, like the Effacernes or Laura Mercier, and get the SAME color under my eyes as i have on the rest of my face.

Believe me (and all the other makeup artists who've been raving about this wrong belief about concealers and highlighter), nothing can make you look good as matching your undereye area with the rest of your face does. It's the key concept behind revolutionary products and practices, such as Eve Pearl's salmon concealer for example. other concealers leave light areas under the eyes whereas the orangey, pink-tinted ones that mimic your REAL skintone manage to conceal and brighten up the entire face.

i personally do not recommend this product. it is of good quality in terms of fine, delicate and beautiful highlighting (sheer glow, no glitter or shimmer). However, the cream is not transparent, but very light, as i said. so you'll end up confused, like most girls here who think Touche Eclat is a concealer when it's not, and if you're lucky, it will illuminate....a nicely whitened undereye area.

i think there are products out there that do the job for less of the price, like the Chanel one (i think it's actually the same price but it wouldn't hurt varying), the Clinique one or MY FAVORITE, the Clarins brightening pen.

happy shopping everyone!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Very nice as a very subtle highlighter. Not greasy at all! I sometimes use for my dark circles. I'm N15 (leaning toward NC) & I like #1 for a highlighter.

CONS: Expensive. Too thin for bad circles.

ALTERNATES: HE - Chanel Eclat Lumiere (I think it's even more divine than this.) For a bit of subtle shimmer, Laura Mercier's Secret Brightener.

REMOVAL TIPS: If using this for more than the eyes and you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser.

*****There are more reviews for this in the primer/corrector category. (I don't know why it's under that category.)********

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 12:41:00 AM More reviews by iheartea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this product! It applies smoothly. Two clicks is all you need. More than that would be too much. It really brightens up my face! It is quite expensive though so I only use it for special occassions!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2010 10:56:00 AM More reviews by pinkpixy2008

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This has 365 clicks of the pen. 2 clicks is enough for both eyes and cupids bow. This is meant to be worn alone, so when I have applied my foundation I wipe under my eyes using a soft tissue then apply this. Makes my whole face look fresher. Touche eclat = LOVE

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I didn't think I would need this product. Everytime I went into Sephora I would play with it. I finally bought it and thought I would have to return it. Nope! I love it! It covers and highlights my undereyes. Looks flawless and makes my face glow. Adore this and don't know how I lived without it. So happy I took the plunge!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Hattykins

LOVE this product.
Really highlights well and as my eyes don't really get very dark it covers any slight dark rings nicely.
This is now the only concealer that I will use. I have sensative skin around my eyes and some products can leave it dry and tight feeling, but Touche Eclat is fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by misskeikei

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the perfect smart concealer and highlighter for on the go touch ups. I use this to highlight and conceal my under eyes, eyebrows and nose areas. Its not shimmery but still gives your skin the effect of brightening and radiance. The consistency is blendable thin and silky which glides on to the skin without sinking into lines.

However for those days when I need extra concealment I will need to use a more industrial concealer underneath this, as this only gives a sheer coverage. So I would not recommend this to those who want to cover spots and blemishes.

Packaging is great as always from YSL. I love gold and find I always travel mostly with YSL products because of the size of thier products. It is quite pricey though and in this case I cant say it lasts that long if you use it all the time like me. I would still repurchase this though as its such a convenient product and joy to use.

- KK. =^_^=.v.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2010 1:49:00 PM More reviews by bex92

This is the best highlighter/concealer on the market by far. I have been using it for a while now and have found that one tube of touch eclat will usually last me around 6-7 months and I use it every single day!
I get really bad purple/black circles under my eyes and it covers them perfectly! I even use it on blemishes sometimes and it covers them too, i find its actually better to use on blemishes than a stick concealer because it isn't cakey and doesn't look like i've got too much make up on! Until I find something better I will carry on buying this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by catpower9

i love this product. I have shade #1, a pale pink color. I first prep my under eye area with eye cream and use a small amount of foundation under my eyes and use this product mixed in with the foundation all under my eye .I also use a dab in the corner of my tear duct not mixed with foundation for a brighter look in that area. I find this covers my eye area the best. I find most concealers look to thick under my eyes so instead. I use a small amount of foundation with the touch eclat for best results.