October 20, 2014 | 2099 users online

Loose Powders - Coty - Airspun Loose Face Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by ExoticAlbino

As an imperfect, oily, fair skinned woman - I swear by this loose powder, & pray they never discontinue it. It's very low thrill, but really who needs a powder that's gimmicky & overpriced? For about $6, this container will last you a good 6 months - 2 years with daily use. I find that my face doesn't look pretty with foundation alone, because this powder adds extra coverage & blurs imperfections further. I have tried almost every setting powder out there & this one beats them all. It keeps my face more matte than anything else on the market. In summer of 2010 my skin went INSANE producing oil, because I live in hot, humid TX. I had never broken out so badly. One night I slept with this on, to try controling the oil. The next day, I woke up & it looked a little less irritated. I continued doing this for a week & my acne was gone! It really does absorb the oil.

Tip: Coty makes many different shades for this powder. I can RARELY find any of them other than the translucent one. Translucent is a very pale, cool toned powder. If you are warm toned, be sure to find Naturally Nuetral. It's "translucent" too, but with a yellow undertone. CVS & Walgreens have a decent selection.

The only con about Coty Airspun Loose Powder is it can be overdone. My face nearly always looks powdery, regardless of the fact I produce so much oil. The solution to this? Use a setting spray.

*EDIT*: I still reccomend this powder. It'll probably always be a staple in my collection. However, having to resort to using a setting spray? That sucks & defeats the purpose of using an oil absorbing powder in the first place. I now use Palladio Rice Powder & would reccomend it to anyone that loves Coty Airspun. It gets rid of the shine & sets my make up quite nicely without being heavy.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder so much. There is a reason this powder has been around since 1935! I use the shade Naturally Neutral, which is very pale but the least pink of all the shades. Most of the shades ARE pale and pink, which I think the only thing really problematic about the Airspun powders. They need more shades! And even the Naturally Neutral shade is a smidge too pink for me... although I don't mind and make it work. I think it actually helps keep me from looking sallow... I'm really pale and try to make my skin look more "English rose" than "consumptive Dickens orphan child," and this seems to help in that regard, making me look more glowy and healthy.

This powder sets my mineral makeup really well! I really notice a difference between when I use it and when I don't bother to set my makeup with this powder. And it stays put and controls any oilies better than other powders I have used, even more expensive powders. (ahem, Mineral Veil!)

I also like that this doesn't dry out my already dry skin, in fact it seems to help it hold in moisture, which is weird and unexpected. I think it's because it has mineral oil in it? Which brings me to another point- because of the mineral oil and fragrance I was worried I would break out. But no problems on that front whatsoever, and it balances my skin so well.

I also love the smell! I sometimes even notice it throughout the day and don't mind at all, since it's so lovely. Yes, it smells a bit "old lady," and if smells in cosmetics bother you a lot, you probably wouldn't care for this powder. I think I like the smell a lot mainly because my great-grandmother wore this powder for decades so the fragrance reminds me of her instantly. One of my earliest memories is of watching her do her makeup in the bathroom of her old house, and I would be sitting there on the bathtub admiring her ritual. Even into her 90s she always had amazing skin. The powder didn't exactly match her skin (she had a more almond-colored skin tone) but it was sheer enough that it still looked pretty and skin was always velvet-y. I love that I can still use this and think of her whenever I use it! She was always glamorous and had great taste, so I should have known this would be good stuff.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe this product doesn't get more praise like it did back then. Its a gem and I can't believe I am just discovering it now. It sets my makeup beautifully. I have rosacea and when I use this you can't even really tell! I also love how inexpensive it is, another plus to this gem. A little also goes a long way, so not only is it cheap, but it lasts you a long time. Also the smell doesn't really bother me and it goes away. I hope they don't discontinue! I would be devastated. There is a reason its been around so long. It is awesome.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is not the best powder I have used but it is quite nice for the price. Mine is the plastic tub with the orange lid with print. I think its cute packaging but not as cute as the all over printed ones. I don't know if they changed the packaging or what....I do like how sturdy mine is though. I have had face powder lids crack or come off and I don't think this one will though I wish the lid screwed on. I also like that only a small amount of product dispenses. My favorite thing about this product is probably the scent. I actually find it really pleasing but I can't smell it when on so if you don't like it don't worry.
I was a bit worried when I applied this in translucent. Its a little pinker in the package than I'm used to but that pink didn't translate to skin and the product seemed to oxidize less on me than others which have turned me orangish by days end. For some reason I have to be careful not to inhale this when applying. It seems to irritate my throat and nose and I don't know what it is about it but it seems easier than my other powders to accidentally breathe in.
I don't think this is as light as my equally cheap NYC powder. It feels and looks a bit heavier going on. I don't usually worry about overdoing the NYC, this I have to be careful with. I also notice that immediately after applying NYC looks more natural on. That said, in the long run the Coty wears better and oxidizes less. It also seems better at controlling oil and keeping my foundation from migrating into my fine lines.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by newslang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this after trying multiple powders to keep my makeup looking nice all day.
Let me just say this stuff is amazing! Nice light smell, easy to apply, keeps my skin from getting oily. It makes my face look airbrushed! Definitely worth a try.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by seacolourr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really love this powder! As a makeup collector, I'm surprised that it took me so long to try this out. I think it is an essential worth checking out for anyone that collects makeup, or loves learning about the history of makeup! After doing some researching I found out a lot of cool stuff about this specific product. Apparently the powder puff design on the package (used to be an orange cardboard package, it has since been repackaged in a plastic container with a sifter, but still has the original orange powder puff design on the lid) was designed by a set designer for the Russian Ballet in the 1930s. Which leads me to the next point, this powder has been around since 1935. This means they must be doing something right! Makeup items are constantly being discontinued, so the fact that this has been around for 78 years is a testament to it's greatness!

As far as performance, I think it is a great addition to my powder collection. I brush this over my face when I'm done with all my makeup, and I do not have to touch up all day! It lasts for a FULL 8hr work/college day. That's amazing. I also like the fact that you get a lot of product for the price which is around $5-$6 depending on where you get it. I also own the Chanel loose powder which I paid a little over $52 for and I have to say, I prefer this. It's a lot more finely milled, and it holds my oils back a lot better. I really wish I would have found this before I picked up the Chanel.

This comes in a variety of colors, as well as a few translucent shades, which could work for everyone.

I know one of the big topics about this is the smell. It's a strong mature scent that reminds me a lot of my great grandmother, but once it's on the face, you cannot smell it at all. Although, if you're really sensitive to smells, or you just have super sensitive skin in general (I have pretty sensitive skin and the original scented version has never broken me out) there is an unscented version, and it comes in a teal box.

Regardless of which version you get, I definitely recommend leaving the plastic sticker that comes over the holes on the product and only poking a few of the holes out, otherwise this product gets very messy.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this product. I love that it's such a staple in makeup history (looks awesome sitting out on my vintage style vanity), and I love that it's a quality product that really works to keep my makeup in place, and keep my skin shine free, while looking natural and not cakey! Definite repurchase, if I ever run out!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 9:32:00 AM More reviews by mu_atalltimes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

Got this to try as a cheaper alternative to current GA loose powder. It give a nice finish, however I cannot get past the gross lingering old lady smell, I think others can smell it and probably making others think oh she smells like my grandmother. Does not give me any nostalgic thoughts, just the thought to wash it off. Will not repurchase and will probably throw it out. May try the unscented version.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by LBC23

I think I've tried every powder on the planet, from Cover girl to Estee Lauder to Chanel and Bobbi Brown and this is by far the best i've ever used. I love the colors that go with my fair skin. If I want to look super pale I can use the Neutral or Translucent or if I want a little color there are options in rose, peach and beige. The powder sets my foundation amazingly and I never get oily or shiny AND it doesn't dry my skin out either. At the end of a long work day if I want to go out all I have to do is dab a little of the powder on my face and I'm good to go for another 8 hours. I used to reapply from work to going out but I don't even need to with this. I can use a brush and give myself a light makeup look or, as I usually do, use a sponge to give a full makeup look. I LOVE it and will never use another powder again.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2012 8:41:00 PM More reviews by dodi14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Works okay, but I can't get over the strong smell!! I've had it for a few months, and though I've gotten a bit more used to the scent, I am moving on and won't miss it. I won't be purchasing this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by shelbyrose17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this powder!! It has such a nice finish and doesnt look cakey at all. It fills in fine lines and just creates such a nice finish and lasts all day. would totally buy this again but theres so much in the container i dont think i'll have to for a reallly long time :)