April 25, 2014 | 1015 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 6:12:00 PM More reviews by lipcrazy

I love this product I have been using it for about 4 months now and haven't really had any problems. The light which I thought was just a silly gimmick, actually helps you get those tiny hairs you might otherwise miss. I got the impression that some of the hairs were actually being "cut" as opposed to be pulled out at the root, nevertheless my skin felt smooth afterwards. To get the best results make sure you exfoliate prior, go slowly and keep the head of the Xelle at a ninety degree angle.

I just paid to get my arms, underarms, legs and bikini waxed and maintained the growth weekly with the Braun Silk Xelle epilator. This minimized the irritation greatly, but I still follow up with lotion.

It really didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, especially as I was just maintaining my wax. It is important to point out that I have a very high pain tolerance and have only waxed for years. I bought a tub of apricot scrub to exfoliate my legs daily to prevent ingrown hairs.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by moondogfluffy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This thing HURTS! It also doesn't get all of the hairs (maybe I need more practice). I wouldn't bother trying this if you don't already wax. I first tried it when I was a shaver, and it was excruciating because the hair was thick and strong (I couldn't complete the job or even one leg!). However, it is pretty good at taking care of regrowth after waxing. My suggestion is to wax first, and then epliate every week to control regrowth (its not quite as excrutiating since there are less hairs at a time). Taking Advil before does help, and using a prescription steroid cream afterwards will ward off bumps. DO NOT attempt to use this on your inner thighs, I did and wound up with bloody, brightly bruised spots.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 3:55:00 AM More reviews by joonjooni

Great at removing hair on the legs, arms, and underarms and saves a ton of money on waxing (which is the only other way I'd remove arm hair). Though I suppose the pain depends mostly on an individual's pain tolerance, it doesn't bother me at all...it's even somewhat refreshing. The little light on the epilator lights up the area about to be epilated, which makes it a lot easier to see - especially in hard-to-see areas such as behind the knee. I'd definitely repurchase, but it's a sturdy device, so I doubt it'll need to be replaced anytime soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2007 10:22:00 PM More reviews by sportin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This works best on underarm hair, put some baby powder on your underarms and then epilate by pulling the skin taut - after a few times, the pain definitely reduces. This saves so much money on waxing, and the result is so much better than shaving!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2007 9:54:00 PM More reviews by wargman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am on my second version of this epilator. I have not used a razor to shave my legs in years. The first time you use this it is somewhat painful, but after that, it's minor. I used to have to shave my legs every other day. With this little machine, I can have a clean look for almost two weeks, and when it grows in it is not stubbly (is that a word?). Because the ends are not blunt cut, the hair is finer and less noticeable and my legs are so smooth. I would never go back to shaving again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by smellypiratehooker

I've always prided myself in having a high pain tolerance. That said, I would rather wax my entire body head to toe than ever let this device of Satan come near me again. I ran it up my leg once and had a similar feeling to what I can imagine your fingernails being ripped out of the nail bed must be like. Never EVER again. Oh, and Motrin doesn't help either.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2007 2:24:00 PM More reviews by poppypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like many reviewers here, I had had unsatisfactory results with other hair removal methods.

I have purchased 2 epilators in the past but returned them both, too scared to even try them! The noise is so off-putting! But I was reading Cosmo and the beauty editor really recommended them so I bought one and thought, 3rd time lucky! Took it home, had a bath, took some ibuprofen (probably a good idea for the first use) and used it.

The sensation is certainly not pain because it doesn't pull at the skin the way wax does. I find it more of a discomfort and irritating. My legs get pretty smooth using this, similar to shaving for me but without the scraping irritation. Haven't used it on bikini line and probably wouldn't as I'm to scared but my epilator does have a shaver with a trimmer attachment which I used before a home bikini wax and got a great result! Also, I would be terrified to use it on my underarms as I hate getting them waxed and the hair looks so thick! Argh! But I wish I could. Kind of an awkward angle for underarms too if you also want to pull skin taut.

Anyway, I think it's amazing and I can do it at home with no mess. I've told everyone to buy one (although they're all too scared!). Wish mine had a light though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Maderine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used the Braun Silk-Epil for about 3 years, off and on. I have fair skin with fine hairs (for reference, I can get away with shaving about once a week). I agree with other users that it hurt at first, but it was in no way unbearable. Eventually, with regular use, it felt good--kind of like a micro-mini shiatsu massage. The biggest problem I had with it is that I had pretty significant ingrowing hairs EVERY TIME I used it. I don't have the time or $$ to put Tend Skin all over my entire lower half, and nothing else I tried (regular mechanical exfoliation, lotions with PHAs) seemed to work. I also found that I never got all the hairs with this epilator. When staying on track with it, I would epilate about once a week. I ALWAYS had hair, though. It was hard to see and eventually became even finer and softer than usual, but the ingrowing hairs ticked me off so much that I threw the baby out with the bathwater (so to speak). I'd love to know other solutions people had for combatting the hair bumps...if they're reasonable, I might even buy another epilator. I did love never having stubble!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 7:14:00 AM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm reviewing the Braun Silk Epil

Tips:

Drag the epil. SLOWLY along your skin. From ankle to knee it should be a span of 15 seconds.

Don't press down. It won't work as well. Hover it lightly on your skin.

Make sure the epil. is paralell to your skin, not at an angle.

Exfoliate before in the shower.

The pain does get better :D

So, I have no option but to use this as I can't afford regular waxings right now and I get major stubble and ingrowns from razors, and depilators burn my skin.

So, this handy device. I do my legs, arms, tummy, and sometimes face with this. The light seems pointless, so you may be tempted to go for a cheaper model without it. But it is so handy for catching every hair, as it illuminates what you are epilating.

It does hurt. So much. My god. I cried a little. But it gets better with time, and it's like a waxing every time.

And the hair takes forever to grow back if you do this correctly.

Huge epilator thread:

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 12:35:00 PM More reviews by LeahLuvd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I somehow stumbled upon this review when looking for something completely irrelevant and was instantly intrigued. I had a 20% off coupon to Bed, Bath and Beyond (sign up on their website and you'll get a coupon every couple weeks), so I bought the Braun 5000 series for $56 after the 20% off.

I have dark hair, but it isn't coarse and doesn't grow too fast. I expected this to be pretty painful, so I took 2 motrin and 2 tylenol and a hot shower first. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, I used to pluck my underarm hair about 10 years ago, so that's not a really sensitive area for me anyways. At first it did sting a little. But I pulled the skin as taut as possible and this seemed to help. After a couple minutes my body acclimated to the sensation and it didn't hurt *quite* as bad.

I did my legs a little, but there wasn't much to do, since I had shaved recently. It did sting initially, but I did get used to it after a couple minutes. In fact, overall, I found that it hurt less when I "pressed it up and down", instead of dragging it across the area. Going with the direction of the hair growth, instead of against it, made it less painful also.

Then I got a little braver and decided to try the fine hair on my knuckles-barely felt it. So I moved to my upper lip. I know others said it's not for facial hair, but I only have fine hair on my upper lip anyway, so I dabbed the area and it worked amazingly!!! I'm SO impressed just with that-I hate bleaching and waxing my upper lip (mostly lazy) and the epi took literally 5 secs. and by dabbing it only stung a little. My lip didn't even turn red afterwards like it does with waxing! I see a few very fine hairs left, but I'm honestly not worrying about it because I have to be 6 inches away from the mirror to barely see them.

After that I decided to try my arms, which is kinda fine hair also. I started by firmly "dabbing" to get accustomed to the feeling, and then I dragged the epi in the direction of the hair and back. I was surprised at how easily the hair came up and how bearable the pain actually was.

I haven't decided whether or not to do my bikini area. I have both waxed and lasered there once before, but I haven't had the nerve or $$ to do it more. I think I'll have get some numbing cream before I even think about it seriously.

But so far I am LOVING this epilator! Thanks for all the recs!