August 27, 2014 | 1886 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2008 11:47:00 PM More reviews by amyj0654

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm trying to keep this up. It takes a while to perform. I like the idea of having less hair. We will see.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2008 11:09:00 PM More reviews by Rhinestoner

This is the most amazing invention ever. My mom used to have a Epilady and that didn't do much. This is a whole different ball game. I have the Braun Silk Epil Xelle, bought it off eBay for a song. The moment it came, I did my legs and underarms. Both didn't hurt at all. The sensation is more of a scratchy sensation, as other reviewers have observed. This little gem got every. single. hair. Sure, I had to go over some parts again, but I do that shaving anyway. I love this. I probably will not bother shaving ever again. One last word: invest in a scrub for legs to prevent ingrowns, or use a salicylic acid toner/moisturizer regularly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 6:12:00 PM More reviews by lipcrazy

I love this product I have been using it for about 4 months now and haven't really had any problems. The light which I thought was just a silly gimmick, actually helps you get those tiny hairs you might otherwise miss. I got the impression that some of the hairs were actually being "cut" as opposed to be pulled out at the root, nevertheless my skin felt smooth afterwards. To get the best results make sure you exfoliate prior, go slowly and keep the head of the Xelle at a ninety degree angle.

I just paid to get my arms, underarms, legs and bikini waxed and maintained the growth weekly with the Braun Silk Xelle epilator. This minimized the irritation greatly, but I still follow up with lotion.

It really didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, especially as I was just maintaining my wax. It is important to point out that I have a very high pain tolerance and have only waxed for years. I bought a tub of apricot scrub to exfoliate my legs daily to prevent ingrown hairs.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by moondogfluffy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This thing HURTS! It also doesn't get all of the hairs (maybe I need more practice). I wouldn't bother trying this if you don't already wax. I first tried it when I was a shaver, and it was excruciating because the hair was thick and strong (I couldn't complete the job or even one leg!). However, it is pretty good at taking care of regrowth after waxing. My suggestion is to wax first, and then epliate every week to control regrowth (its not quite as excrutiating since there are less hairs at a time). Taking Advil before does help, and using a prescription steroid cream afterwards will ward off bumps. DO NOT attempt to use this on your inner thighs, I did and wound up with bloody, brightly bruised spots.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 3:55:00 AM More reviews by joonjooni

Great at removing hair on the legs, arms, and underarms and saves a ton of money on waxing (which is the only other way I'd remove arm hair). Though I suppose the pain depends mostly on an individual's pain tolerance, it doesn't bother me at all...it's even somewhat refreshing. The little light on the epilator lights up the area about to be epilated, which makes it a lot easier to see - especially in hard-to-see areas such as behind the knee. I'd definitely repurchase, but it's a sturdy device, so I doubt it'll need to be replaced anytime soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2007 10:22:00 PM More reviews by sportin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This works best on underarm hair, put some baby powder on your underarms and then epilate by pulling the skin taut - after a few times, the pain definitely reduces. This saves so much money on waxing, and the result is so much better than shaving!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2007 9:54:00 PM More reviews by wargman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am on my second version of this epilator. I have not used a razor to shave my legs in years. The first time you use this it is somewhat painful, but after that, it's minor. I used to have to shave my legs every other day. With this little machine, I can have a clean look for almost two weeks, and when it grows in it is not stubbly (is that a word?). Because the ends are not blunt cut, the hair is finer and less noticeable and my legs are so smooth. I would never go back to shaving again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by smellypiratehooker

I've always prided myself in having a high pain tolerance. That said, I would rather wax my entire body head to toe than ever let this device of Satan come near me again. I ran it up my leg once and had a similar feeling to what I can imagine your fingernails being ripped out of the nail bed must be like. Never EVER again. Oh, and Motrin doesn't help either.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2007 2:24:00 PM More reviews by poppypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like many reviewers here, I had had unsatisfactory results with other hair removal methods.

I have purchased 2 epilators in the past but returned them both, too scared to even try them! The noise is so off-putting! But I was reading Cosmo and the beauty editor really recommended them so I bought one and thought, 3rd time lucky! Took it home, had a bath, took some ibuprofen (probably a good idea for the first use) and used it.

The sensation is certainly not pain because it doesn't pull at the skin the way wax does. I find it more of a discomfort and irritating. My legs get pretty smooth using this, similar to shaving for me but without the scraping irritation. Haven't used it on bikini line and probably wouldn't as I'm to scared but my epilator does have a shaver with a trimmer attachment which I used before a home bikini wax and got a great result! Also, I would be terrified to use it on my underarms as I hate getting them waxed and the hair looks so thick! Argh! But I wish I could. Kind of an awkward angle for underarms too if you also want to pull skin taut.

Anyway, I think it's amazing and I can do it at home with no mess. I've told everyone to buy one (although they're all too scared!). Wish mine had a light though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Maderine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used the Braun Silk-Epil for about 3 years, off and on. I have fair skin with fine hairs (for reference, I can get away with shaving about once a week). I agree with other users that it hurt at first, but it was in no way unbearable. Eventually, with regular use, it felt good--kind of like a micro-mini shiatsu massage. The biggest problem I had with it is that I had pretty significant ingrowing hairs EVERY TIME I used it. I don't have the time or $$ to put Tend Skin all over my entire lower half, and nothing else I tried (regular mechanical exfoliation, lotions with PHAs) seemed to work. I also found that I never got all the hairs with this epilator. When staying on track with it, I would epilate about once a week. I ALWAYS had hair, though. It was hard to see and eventually became even finer and softer than usual, but the ingrowing hairs ticked me off so much that I threw the baby out with the bathwater (so to speak). I'd love to know other solutions people had for combatting the hair bumps...if they're reasonable, I might even buy another epilator. I did love never having stubble!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No