December 20, 2014 | 1723 users online

Moisturizers - Garnier - Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My skin is combination oily and dehydrated, so I picked this up hoping it would help with my dehydration issues.
It did feel hydrating. I *loved* the way it made my skin feel and how quickly it sank in. It did not make my skin feel more oily. It was just so light and perfect. At first I thought it was the best ever.
BUT, unforetunately, after one week it clogged my pores something fierce. To be fair, I am very clog prone. This is an issue I face with many products, not just this one. It took a few weeks after I stopped using it for my skin to decongest.
As far as packaging goes, I am not a fan of jars. I had to always use a q-tip to get some product out because I'm afraid of germs.
If you have normal to oily skin and just some hydration with light moisture, this may work for you. It's got a decent price and is available at any drugstore. I will not repurchase since it clogged my pores so badly, but YMMV. If you're acne/clog prone, you might want to patch test it first.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by winghin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin, I guess more towards to oily side. But my skin's been going a bit weird these days, more on the combination - dry side. At the same time creates some oil in the afternoon because my skin's been lack of moisture.

I've heard some good reviews from some of the Youtube videos. The ones that are reviewed by Asian Bloggers mentioned that this has Icelandic Water ingredients. I'm not quite sure if that only applies to the Garnier Gel Creme in Asia or available all over the world. The one that I purchased doesn't mention that it has Icelandic Water ingredient...so guess not for the ones available in North America.

Alcohol's also listed as one of the ingredients, which made me to hesitate to purchase this at first. Then again, if I never try it...who knows how my skin would react to this gel creme.

So far...it seems less moisturising than the Clinic Moisture Surge Intense gel creme. But the texture are quite similar. I personally think this cream is suitable for summer time. It makes my skin feeling fresh and less sticky. I use this on top of my serums. My skin didn't have any bad reaction to this, so that's definitely a plus!

NOTE* I've noticed a few people putting negative reviews about this product because they have dry skin and doesn't help with their skin's flakiness problem. I just want to say...please read the label of the product. The blue coloured one is for Normal to Combo skin. If you got Dry skin, please purchase the pink coloured one.

As for repurchasing, I will be trying out the pink one next time for winter. Since it will be more dryer.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/31/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by adz323

This stuff burns. I washed my face before a workout, and then used this. While I was working out and getting sweaty, I could feel it stinging again. I assume its the alcohol. But yeah, that was a major put off. I just wanted to go home and wash my face ASAP. And that's that I have very oily skin that isn't really too sensitive. I mean I can use Retin-A with no problems, but this was just horrible. And on top of that, it gave me acne on my forehead. Gross.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by lucyzta

I like this gel moisturizer. I found it to be a good alternative to Philosophy's gel moisturizer which is a bit too pricey for me. I'm a big fan of gel moisturizers because I have oily skin and I find that gel moisturizers keep my t-zone less oily. This moisturizer does have a strong scent, it smells fruity (almost like apples). It's the typical Garnier scent that a lot of their products have. Personally I like the scent, but if you are sensitive to smells then this is probably not for you. I put this on before my make up in the morning, but I generally do not use it both morning and evening. My face would get too dry, so I use something a bit more moisture intense at night. This is perfect for day time wear though!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

This is a basic gel moisturizer. It takes the edge off of dry skin without being overly greasy. The formula is soothing--my skin was irritated from an Ole Hendrikson product and this moisture helped cool the sting and take away some of the redness. It and doesn't irritate my skin or clog my pores. However, it doesn't come close to giving my skin 24 hours of moisture; if anything, my skin feels tight again within a hour or two. It's not a bad product, but I'm probably not going to repurchase it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by rainlullaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I adore this moisturizer. It's hydrating and refreshing. Love the cooling effect it has.

I especially like using this product in the morning, under my makeup. My skin is baby soft and my foundation melts perfectly into my skin after using this moisturizer.

It's about $6 at my local Family Dollar. The jar is fairly small but it goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by yoyolanda

Very very nice. Leaves your skin supple and glowing. Great for before putting on makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Hadew1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really, really love Clinique's Moisture Surge Gel Cream. I have very sensitive, acne-prone, dry/combination skin, and that is the only product I've found that moisturizes adequately without clogging my miserable pores. Unfortunately, I don't like the price ($49.50 for 2.5 ounces).

Garnier's Moisture Rescue Gel Cream is close enough, with a much better price tag ($7 for 1.7 ounces). It stings in a way that Clinique's doesn't, and the gel texture is a little less emollient than Clinique's version. Still's it's more moisturizing than NOT using it, and it also manages not to clog my pores. Win-win, I say, although I would like to try the sensitive skin version to see if it's any closer to Clinique's.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail moisturizer, I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet!
For reference I have maturing (31y/o), oily, acne/clog-prone skin that is also somewhat sensitive. I have a VERY difficult time finding moisturizers that don't break me out and at the same time don't make my makeup slip & slide away or oxidize.

Before finding this I'd been rotating back and fourth with Yes To Tomatoes Daily Balancing Moisturizer (which I found a little TOO hydrating for my oilyness) and Cetaphil Lotion SPF 15 (this one is also a bit overly moisturizing for my oily skin plus I wasn't a fan of "SPF 15" since I'm already wearing a separate sunscreen/Biore UV Perfect Face Milk or L'Oreal Sublime Sun Liquid Silk Shield SPF 50+)

I've been using this moisturizer and this moisturizer only for almost 2 years now and NEVER plan on switching. I've gone through 2 tubs of this version, and almost 1 full tub of the "Dry Skin" version (which I used in the winter months when I needed more moisture and have a separate review already written for)

This "original" version of the gel-cream is *just* moisturizing enough for my oily skin, wears very well under makeup, doesn't increase my oilies but gets rid of any flakes I sometimes have, and does not dry me out either (which was my concern when I purchased it due to the alcohol content) Thankfully my skin does not even notice the alcohol! &Best of all, this does NOT break me out which is a feat of it's own because so many moisturizers have given me grief over the years.

This moisturizer is definitely not for everyone though. Anyone with dehydrated skin, very dry skin, or a sensitivity to alcohol simply won't care for this. It's not quite hydrating enough if you're skin is very dry or dehydrated (which is what happened to me over the winter & why I switched to the Dry Skin version temporarily)
At night I DO use a separate moisturizer for my eye area, simply because I'm all about anti-aging now that I'm in my 30's and I know that this gel-cream is not overly hydrating. (&For my eye area I've been rotating that Yes To Tomatoes Moisturizer I mentioned above with Caudalie's Vinexpert Firming Serum))

So for me with my skintype, Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is just heavenly! At $6 USD a tub (at WalMart this is the price I got my tubs for), it's an absolute steal. &One tub used daily lasts me around 6-7 months.
I actually decanted my last tub into a squeeze tube because I HATE sticking my fingers in that tub! Even with clean hands/fingers I still always feel like I'm contaminating the product or something! (I'm weird, I know lol ;D)
So I got myself a little pack of these mini plastic spatulas (at the art store in my area) and used one to scoop the moisturizer out of the tub and into my empty $1 squeeze tube (also from WalMart) -and now it works like a charm and I don't have to stick my fingers in a tub 2x a day :)

Overall, I do highly recommend this all the time. To friends, family, and other MUA'ers on the MakeUpBoard :) Especially recommending to anyone out there with very oily skin, and also to those out there who are like me, with troublesome/acne-prone skin.if you have a difficult time finding moisturizers that don't aggravate things further, give this $6 gel a try. My skin has never been happier since I've been using this, I'm so glad I found it :)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Sjez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This humectant gel isn't the best product for my dry skin, but addresses tightness in my face after I wash it so it is somewhat moisturizing. I think I would like it better if I had oily or combination skin - especially during the summer months - because it smells good, feels light on the skin, and is cooling and refreshing. However, it contains a ton of alcohol, which is antithetical to it's purpose as a moisturizer, and it stings like mad if you get even a tiny bit in your eye, so it's definitely not all purpose and, ideally, should be used in conjunction with an eye cream. I have dry skin, and I'm more of a one-stop-shop kinda gal so I will definitely not be repurchasing.