April 18, 2014 | 1869 users online

Treatments - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by AbiWilks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

(European version)

I think this might be the best product I have ever put on my face. I've got a bad habit of attacking my face with loads of really harsh products whenever I get a spot or two, inevitably making it worse and sending me into a downward spiral where I get frustrated and pick, turning barely visible blackheads into massive great wounds and making my face look like a war zone.

This happened recently, and no kidding I went from three smallish spots and a few whiteheads and blackheads into a disastrous mess it took literally an hour to cover with makeup (and which still looked terrible once I had). I kept attacking it with peels, alcohol heavy cleaners and other harsh products, and unsurprisingly it didn't help at all. As soon as one thing started healing, another would pop up. I was finding it really upsetting and hard to just leave my face alone, so I picked some more and made it even worse.

I vaguely remembered having some good results with Effaclar Duo a while ago when my skin was really congested, so I decided to order another tube for myself. OMG. I've been using it for a couple of days and my skin is already getting better. All of the inflamed spots have shrunk and are on their way out, I've got far fewer blackheads and whiteheads and my skin is generally looking much smoother and healthier. I've still got quite a few red marks and need a decent amount of concealer to cover them, probably mainly because I've picked my skin so much, but the point is they are all old things that are healing. No new spots, and as far as I can tell no whiteheads under my skin that are ticking time bombs waiting to erupt.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I also posted this under Effaclar Duo (US Version). I am reposting here, as I tried both the European and the US version, and my review compares them both:

I am so glad someone started a US version category for LRP's Effaclar Duo, because all of the existing reviews for both the US and the European version are all under the same category, and they shouldn't be, because the US version could not be more different. In fact, I really think LRP should call the US version a different name.

The US version has both LHA, which is an exfoliating acid, and 5.5% strength benzoyl peroxide, a strong antibacterial which also has drying and exfoliating action. It is unscented. The European version, on the other hand, contains NO BP at all, is quite fragranced, and contains only a low concentration of salicylic acid.

The only similarities are the name, which is very confusing, because the products are SO different, and the price, which at $36 is very pricey for active ingredients found in many inexpensive drugstore acne products.

I have VERY oily, acne-prone skin that is also sensitive to random products. My skin responds very well to a mild, low-dose BP product like the 2.5% BP cream Walgreen's and Walmart makes. With both the LHA and the fairly high dose of 5.5% BP, this LRP US version of Effaclar Duo was way too strong for me . After only 2 days of consecutive use, I ended up w/ a mild chemical burn - with that reddish-yellow-brown-very-irritated- scorched-skin look.

On the other hand, the European version of the LRP Effaclar Duo contains only a wimpy amt of BHA and is quite annoyingly fragranced. It had no effect on my skin, either good or bad - the scent just annoyed me.

So, if you are looking for a BP product that does not burn your face off, save your $$ and buy the Walmart/Walgreen product. If you're looking for a BHA product, again, save your $$ - Neutrogena makes a better and more effective one, and there are other BHA products out there w/ no or less fragrance.

I love LRP ss's, but both of LRP's very different Effaclar Duo products were overpriced and were either way too strong or ineffective. I can't understand why LRP would use the same name for both products, use both a fairly strong dose of BP AND an LHA in one resulting in major overkill, and use nothing but a minimal dose of BHA and a lot of fragrance in the other.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2013 12:09:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'm very cautious when reviewing acne products because I have never had 100% clear skin. This is why no matter how good a product is, I will never give it full marks until I know it is completely effective and has cleared me up. It's a hard battle I'm sure a lot of people always face - once you clear one area, another problem area crops up. I've always suffered from whiteheads, clogged pores, and have never gone a day without one cystic acne on my face. I've had near success once with an AHA gel and glycolic acid toner, but success was short lived for half a year and I soon rebounded back to my old skin.

I first heard about LRP's Effaclar line on reddit, and how it has been HG for a few users. I figured there's no harm in trying so I went out and bought Effaclar Duo, Effaclar K and received samples of Effaclar purifying foaming gel and Effaclar clarifying moisturizing lotion. I've been using this line for about 2.5 months. Effaclar Duo at night, and Effaclar K in the morning, I later went out to buy Effaclar A.I. and tied that in.

So how's my skin now? I can honestly say that it has improved. It's a very long, slow battle but I can see results. What's better is that people have started noticing. Finally, I know how it feels to have a coworker comment on how much better my skin has gotten! I still get the occassional cystic acne, and I still have clogged pores, but probably only 30% of what I used to have. My skin looks healthy, and less rough. It looks plump and moisturized. My pores have gotten smaller. Makeup glides on better. I have less scars and bumps to conceal.

This has kind of been a review of the Effaclar line in general - but for Effaclar Duo, I can say that it has a very nice consistency, not too heavy and fairly gel like. It sinks into my skin easily and has a very mild, pleasant scent. I use this at night, on top of my moisturizing serum also from LRP (Hydraphase intense serum). It claims to reduce the appearance of imperfections and unclog sebum-blocked pores. I believe it has been quite successful so far and I will continue to be patient, waiting for my skin to completely purge and heal! I will update this review in due time!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 11:45:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is for the US version...

I decanted a portion of this into a tiny opaque container to use over a long weekend of travel. It remained closed for 2 days, then when I opened it up, I noticed the plastic on the sides of the container had degraded. It looked like it had been burned. And yes, it was completely clean, no product to interact with. Was it a reaction to the air? If so, how will this reaction to oxygen work when on my skin?

Needless to say, I threw out the container & the tube when I got home.

Why does LRP feel the need to supply a completely different product in the US than what they provide in Europe?! Why?!

going back to my tea tree oil & crushed aspirin, thank you very much...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS:
Yeah, it does zap blemishes quicker than any other formula. As a spot treatment, it did take care of blocked comedones (those blemishes that swell under the skin and you have a flesh colored bump that sorta kinda hurts) within two days or less.

CONS:
This is not an all over daily treatment! While I'm thankful that this attacks my comedones before they erupt into anything worse, I also have to keep a heavy moisturizer on hand and some Cortizone creme to then tackle the extreme peeling and dryness that occurs where ever I've placed this product on my face. So I'm very selective about what break outs I use this on...monster disasters only!

Having said that, I'm willing to deal with the slightly peeling areas rather than a swollen bump, with a creamy concealer, its easier to hide a little redness than swelling. At least that's my opinion.

But please be careful with this product...its not for everyone.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by qdo2599

This is generally a great product - I just wish my skin wasn't so damn sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. However I find this product is one of the only products my skin can tolerate that contains benzoyl peroxide... for 2 nights max. If I use it for my than 2 nights my skin typically dries out and starts looking RED and ANGRY. Other products will turn my skin red by just looking at the ingredient list.
I finally figured out a regimen that works for me - I use Effaclar K daily at night. Then 2 days before the start of my period (aka 2 days before my placebo pills on my BC pack), I switch to Effaclar DUO LIGHTLY for nighttime. That gives it the extra umph I need to prevent any breakouts from occuring during that time of the month. So if you are also super sensitive to benzoyl peroxide this trick may work for you!
The product is pretty light - kind of a middle between a serum and a moisturizer. Therefore I apply it as such - after my nightly exfoliater serum and before my moisturizer. It's kind of paste-like so it doesn't apply as smoothly as the Effaclar K.
There is no smell to this like the Effaclar K has. It's also a little bit larger too (1.35 oz versus 1 oz).
All in all a GREAT product for anyone that can tolerate it and a GOOD product for anyone that can't. I can't say how many times I wish I can use it daily instead of just 1-2 nights at a time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Catherrine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

So, I basically ended up buying this product because my skin was just horrendous! The spots on my forehead were extremely noticeable & nothing would get rid of them. I started using the cleanser from the Effaclar duo in December. I was using it with a cheaper moisturizer and it was just not working as the cleanser was too strong. I bought this moisturizer on the 24th of December 2012, and after using it twice a day every day, its still not gone yet. This duo, has improved my skin IMMENSELY. I have scars from younger years left on my forehead, but no spots. The moisturizer also helps my makeup to go on easier. This is the best moisturizer I have ever used. The only thing i don't like it the price, its steep at 16.69 for a teenager, but it is most definetly worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by michkal

I'm really liking this so far. I had moved away from benzoyl peroxide because it usually irritates my skin. I also find that bp products are usually thick and sticky. Because I've been breaking out a bit more recently, I picked up this product. I am impressed by its unique texture for a bp product. It is smooth and feels light. It almost feels moisturizing. I also like the tube packaging with its very small tip opening. It makes it easy to squeeze out only the amount you need. I had previously used a Clinique bp product, and I like this one much better. My skin feels calmer, less inflamed, and my breakouts seem to be clearing more quickly than without this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by 1kimchan

too mild for killing active pimples
the tube will last me a long time. i won't repurchase because i think there are better pimple fighting products out there.

i only use this on small pimples. but i also attack the small bumps with another salicylic acid treatment over.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 9:35:00 AM More reviews by kissyxface

Saw a few youtube beauty gurus rave about this product while i was going through a nasty breakout & decided to give it a go. So happy i did because within a few days my skin became even & clear. For the price you pay & the amount of product you get, this is such a great value. Will definitely repurchase this.