September 15, 2014 | 1789 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by starnet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have suffered from blackheads, whiteheads, cystic acne for my entire adult life, which I believe is hormonal. I've tried hundreds of over-the-counter and prescription acne products.

Last week I was trying to remember back to the times when my skin was clearer for any significant length of time. At one point retin-a kept me clear for a few years, but the last few years when I had tried various types of retinoids, nothing good came out of it. All that resulted was horrendous initial breakouts, but without the next phase ever coming through. At one point I even had to go on antibiotics because my face was so infected and broken out from retinoids (and I never use antibiotics unless it's an emergency).

So I was trying to remember if there was ever another time when I was more or less clear for any length of time. And I remembered that when I used benzoyl peroxide consistently, my skin was better. (But I had attributed it to other things in the past.) However, I really do not like using BP because it comes in creams, which I hate using on my already-oily skin. So I began searching for BP which came in a more of a gel base. That's when I stumbled upon this product. The funny thing is that I had used a tube of this a few years ago, but had no recollection of whether it was a great product or not. But I did remember that around that time my skin wasn't too terrible.

I was very reluctant to purchase this because I do not like products by La Roche Posay at all. I had tried one of their sunscreens last summer, and as soon as I began sweating, my face was a disgusting greasy mess and I had to reach for the first thing I could find in my car to try to wipe my face. And I had used their Effaclar K with zero results. My skin just does not respond to salicylic acid (or glycolic acid or sulfur or tee tree oil or much of anything else for that matter).

As a side note, when I began searching for BP in gel form, another product I found was DDF BP gel 5% with tee tree oil, and I got a sample of it to try. It left me peeling and raw. I had pieces of skin peeling off through my makeup. Well, similar to retin-a effects at the start. So I went to this one. I had zero expectations. But holy cow. Within 2 days all of my active acne was gone. I've learned that my skin just likes BP, but in a gel form. I still have tons of discoloration from years of acne suffering, but my skin is clear. I keep praying that my skin doesn't become immune to it.

The first few days the skin feels very tight and very dry, but it's a minor inconvenience compared to the results. So use a moisturizer even if you have very oily skin.

So in conclusion, after 2 days my skin was mostly clear. Of course I understand that it did not cure me. Cure can only come from the inside, holistically. As soon as you stop using whatever cream or pill is helping, the skin will go back to the way it was. So it's not a cure, because the underlying problem is still there. And I understand that there are consequences to using chemicals. And some say that BP causes cancer. But it's just nice to have a little breather from the inflammation and acne.

P.S. If your skin responds well to BP, you do not have to use this particular product. There are many cheaper ones. It's just hard to find one that is not 10% and that is not too thick and creamy. I am thinking of trying the BP from acne.org because it is so much cheaper.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 7:42:00 AM More reviews by sdelice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this product is a LIFE SAVER after hearing stories of bad breakouts after coming off of birth control I decided to do research on how to start a proper regimen before I did. in the begininng its rough from the dry skin patches etc but I follow acne.org regimen with La Roche products jojoba for the dry spots and a AHA all from the drugstore and my skin us so clear. I contemplating on going in acne.org products since their regimen work but because of the wonderful results I have with La Roche Posay I decided not to switch. besides the occasional bleaching of my pillow and towels this product is worth it all for the confidence and clear skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by AliaGhobash

Hello , last time i used this product my face was terrible . i don't know why . i think its because i used it on my whole face . Which didn't need any fixing . anyways after a few months i got a zit on my cheek . I've been using it on that zit and the size of the zit is decreasing , I'm impressed. so , i recommend this product to people who have one or two stubborn zits. but not chronic acne it could aggravate your acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 9:26:00 AM More reviews by makeupstuffs

I had really bad breakouts all over my face for over a week and they just weren't budging. The past 3 days I have been using this product and finally my breakouts are shifting. They are all dried up and nearly gone now, I'm sooo happy. My only regret is that I didn't discover this earlier and suffered instead with break out which would take a month to disappear. I've tried tonnes of break out products and acne products which leave my sensitive skin dry and irritated which restricts me from using them as much as I would like and instead make the problem worse. I haven't got dry skin from using this baring in mind I have oily very acne-prone skin. Those with oily skin who have tried acne gels and washes which leave them wanting to rip their face off would find this mild. Obviously those with dry skin should stay away and use something more moisturising.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

Much like other reviewers here, I went out and bought this (EU version) after seeing so many rave reviews of it on YouTube and a number of beauty bloggers pages.

Since turning 30 I don't tend to get a huge amount of spots anymore, but the odd one or two still sprouts occasionally and they do tend to be on the big, red, ugly, painful side. Based on the reviews I'd seen of this, I was expecting it to treat my spots quite effectively, helping to reduce the redness and swelling, whilst also helping to prevent others from forming. If I do use this I tend to apply it before going to bed, the theory being it will work its 'magic' overnight whilst I'm sleeping. On waking I think my spots do look less red, but I wouldn't say they've reduced in size or helped to prevent others from forming.

A 60ml tube of this is going to last absolutely ages if you're only applying this on an 'as and when' basis and then only once a day. And given it's effectiveness at treating my spots, I don't know whether I'll ever get through a whole tube before I have to throw it away 'cause it's past it's use by date.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by bunnylove07

After reading so many reviews on MakeupAlley and Youtube, I went out and purchased the La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO (EU version). I was using the Avene Cleanance K gel creme exfoliant but I really hated the unpleasant stinging/ tingly sensation that followed after every application, so I was really hoping this product would work for me (without the tingly sensation). However, I found this product not only irritated my skin, but it also made it really dry and flakey in certain areas (my skin usually NEVER experiences dry patches). I stopped using this product after using it for 2 days (morning and night) as I was worried it would just get worse with further use.

I went back to my Avene Cleanance K and Egyptian Magic combo and my skin instantly calmed down and the redness went away. Although it didn't work for me the way I had intended it to, I still think this product is worth trying out. Maybe it was just too strong for my combination skin and I will just have to put up with the tingly sensation from the Avene Cleanance K.

NOTE: I got my boyfriend to use the La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO as well as the foaming gel cleanser from this line (as he has acne-prone skin) and so far he is enjoying it. He no longer feels the need to use his Benzac (water based acne gel) and says after 1 week of using the products his skin is settling down. He has experienced less break-outs although the downside is that he does get a bit of redness/dryness around the mouth/chin area. I will do an update if he gets an adverse reaction but so far it seems to be working for him! Definitely think this is worth a try considering all the rave reviews out there!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I decided to give in and try this after my skin had a horrible reaction to a skincare product i was usiing, I had acne on my chin and blocked pore's all over my forehead. For some reason I thought this would dry my skin out , I have been using benzoyl peroxide so long i guess. But this cream is amazing ! Its not drying at all , I wear it night and day with no problems. A week later and my skin is almost totally clear. I can't remember the last time my skin looked this good. I have the EU version with salicylic acid.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by falloutboy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this in my Target Beauty Box and this stuff is amazing! I've been applying Clearasil daily to my pimples but it's only minorly reduced the size of them. I put this on at 6pm and by the time I went to bed, my pimples were visibly smaller and less red. Amazing!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by funnygirlup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the squeeze tube as it releases a small amount of product at a time. The smell is pretty bad (sulphur) but i did find after a week or so after use my pores looked smaller and my acne was under control. I was using it morning and night which turned out to be too much and I began to dry out, so instead I used it only a few times a week, which allowed for acne control but without the horrid dry patches.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by hostility

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

(This review is for the UK/EU version of the product.)

I'm pretty disappointed in this. After reading lots of reviews raving about this product I was hoping it would be amazing for my skin, but no :(

The first few days it I thought it was helping clear up the few spots I had and I did find that the pores on my nose were extracting much easier, so I figured this stuff doing its job and kinda pushing the gunk out!

Unfortunately, after about 3 days I noticed that all of the places I put this product (and only those places) were full of tiny little bumps and felt all rough! I stopped using it and they went away by the next morning, so I'm assuming it was a mild allergic reaction or irritation of some sort.

I noticed a few other reviews mentioning something like this so I guess some skin just doesn't agree with this stuff. Even though it didn't work for me, I would still say this is worth a try based on the amount of glowing reviews it gets!