August 20, 2014 | 1210 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

Much like other reviewers here, I went out and bought this (EU version) after seeing so many rave reviews of it on YouTube and a number of beauty bloggers pages.

Since turning 30 I don't tend to get a huge amount of spots anymore, but the odd one or two still sprouts occasionally and they do tend to be on the big, red, ugly, painful side. Based on the reviews I'd seen of this, I was expecting it to treat my spots quite effectively, helping to reduce the redness and swelling, whilst also helping to prevent others from forming. If I do use this I tend to apply it before going to bed, the theory being it will work its 'magic' overnight whilst I'm sleeping. On waking I think my spots do look less red, but I wouldn't say they've reduced in size or helped to prevent others from forming.

A 60ml tube of this is going to last absolutely ages if you're only applying this on an 'as and when' basis and then only once a day. And given it's effectiveness at treating my spots, I don't know whether I'll ever get through a whole tube before I have to throw it away 'cause it's past it's use by date.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by bunnylove07

After reading so many reviews on MakeupAlley and Youtube, I went out and purchased the La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO (EU version). I was using the Avene Cleanance K gel creme exfoliant but I really hated the unpleasant stinging/ tingly sensation that followed after every application, so I was really hoping this product would work for me (without the tingly sensation). However, I found this product not only irritated my skin, but it also made it really dry and flakey in certain areas (my skin usually NEVER experiences dry patches). I stopped using this product after using it for 2 days (morning and night) as I was worried it would just get worse with further use.

I went back to my Avene Cleanance K and Egyptian Magic combo and my skin instantly calmed down and the redness went away. Although it didn't work for me the way I had intended it to, I still think this product is worth trying out. Maybe it was just too strong for my combination skin and I will just have to put up with the tingly sensation from the Avene Cleanance K.

NOTE: I got my boyfriend to use the La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO as well as the foaming gel cleanser from this line (as he has acne-prone skin) and so far he is enjoying it. He no longer feels the need to use his Benzac (water based acne gel) and says after 1 week of using the products his skin is settling down. He has experienced less break-outs although the downside is that he does get a bit of redness/dryness around the mouth/chin area. I will do an update if he gets an adverse reaction but so far it seems to be working for him! Definitely think this is worth a try considering all the rave reviews out there!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I decided to give in and try this after my skin had a horrible reaction to a skincare product i was usiing, I had acne on my chin and blocked pore's all over my forehead. For some reason I thought this would dry my skin out , I have been using benzoyl peroxide so long i guess. But this cream is amazing ! Its not drying at all , I wear it night and day with no problems. A week later and my skin is almost totally clear. I can't remember the last time my skin looked this good. I have the EU version with salicylic acid.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by falloutboy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this in my Target Beauty Box and this stuff is amazing! I've been applying Clearasil daily to my pimples but it's only minorly reduced the size of them. I put this on at 6pm and by the time I went to bed, my pimples were visibly smaller and less red. Amazing!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by funnygirlup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the squeeze tube as it releases a small amount of product at a time. The smell is pretty bad (sulphur) but i did find after a week or so after use my pores looked smaller and my acne was under control. I was using it morning and night which turned out to be too much and I began to dry out, so instead I used it only a few times a week, which allowed for acne control but without the horrid dry patches.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by hostility

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

(This review is for the UK/EU version of the product.)

I'm pretty disappointed in this. After reading lots of reviews raving about this product I was hoping it would be amazing for my skin, but no :(

The first few days it I thought it was helping clear up the few spots I had and I did find that the pores on my nose were extracting much easier, so I figured this stuff doing its job and kinda pushing the gunk out!

Unfortunately, after about 3 days I noticed that all of the places I put this product (and only those places) were full of tiny little bumps and felt all rough! I stopped using it and they went away by the next morning, so I'm assuming it was a mild allergic reaction or irritation of some sort.

I noticed a few other reviews mentioning something like this so I guess some skin just doesn't agree with this stuff. Even though it didn't work for me, I would still say this is worth a try based on the amount of glowing reviews it gets!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by pindur

I registered here only to write about this cream. I'm writing about the European (french) version. I'm 32 years old and since i was 15 suffered from acne in its various forms (huge cystic breakouts, blackheads, whiteheads, big pores... you name it), but lately i was angry because I started to get brown marks on my face as the result of acne, and they were not fading away even when i used retin-a or glycolic acid creams. I purchesed this cream around the end of march this year, but didn't really believe in it (I got used to be let down by so called 'miracle products). I was using it constantly every night and after one month my skin just cleared up! I can't believe how good it is. I used to be afraid to look in the mirror in the mornings and count how many new breakouts I had since last night. Not any more! Actually now I started to go out even without make up, something I haven't done since the age of 14! I can't believe that after many prescription creams (duac, differin, retin-a,dalacin...) and many expensive brands (clinique, estee lauder) this simple over the counter cream makes the difference. I don't find it expensive, it is worth every penny, I used one tube in two month (but I apply it to my neck as well, because i was getting acne even there...), and I just started to use the third tube. I used to have a cupboard full of beauty products, now I have reduced it significantly thanks to this cream. My beauty regimen now is quite simple: I wash my face with the clinique anti blemish soap, then clean with the anti blemish clarifying lotion, and in the morning i put a cream with spf 20, at evenings the la roche posay cream. I don't know what it has inside, that makes it sooo good for my skin, but i'm simply glad that after more than 15 years something is finally working for me, and i hope they will never discontinue, or change the ingredients. If you are thinking of buying it, don't think, go and get it, and get the european version (you can always get a simple bezoyl peroxid cream just for the huge big spots). My advice would be, cleans always thoroughly and don't skip even one night of application. Be patient, because it takes time to work (it's not a magic wand), but IT DOES WORK!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by AfifaRaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This takes about 2/3 weeks for you to see great results.
Use it every night and be persistent.
It is great but at that time of the month I still got some large spots.

The only reason I stopped using this is because I am not using
a prescription cream Differin 0.1%

If you're not willing to go to the doctors for your acne this is a great alternative.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 4:01:00 AM More reviews by Yrie

I bought this (European version) to help with my frequent breakouts. I have combination-oily skin, that is not very sensitive, but very prone to acne.

PROS:
- Lovely, light texture.
- Great base for makeup.
- Sinks into the skin quickly.
- Nice day-time moisturiser.

CONS:
- Unfortunately, this did absolutely nothing to my breakouts. Nothing.
- While being a great base for makeup, it didn't play well with my La Roche Posay Anthelios AC sunscreen and made it ball up.

VERDICT:
I used this for about 3-4 months and did repurchase it, but still it didn't make any difference to my skin whatsoever. I would recommend this to people looking for a lightweight day-time moisturiser.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 5:57:00 PM More reviews by beautifulthings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG. Just go out and buy this amazing gel cream. Spots and de-inflamed overnight (I'm having a really bad break out with nasty deep pustules), skin hydrated, no bad reactions (OK a bit flushed on first application but it goes) and definitely not drying.
Gel consistency, easy to blend, no stickiness, no interfering or balling up with makeup, smells gorgeous (fresh and clean). Definitely now in my arsenal.