Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment

3.1

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

glycerin, olive fruit oil, oat kernel protein, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, lanolin, tocopherol, nettle leaf powder, rosemary powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

To start, I should say that I am African-American, with very thick, slightly longer than BSL hair that tends to get dry and frizzy, particularly on the ends. I am also transitioning out of a relaxer with currently about 4 inches of wavy-curly new growth (2b-3a). I preface this review with that, because I think this product is excellent for thick or dry hair, but for someone with thin or fine hair, I think it would weigh it down or make it excessively oily.

For me however, this product is fantastic. The key I think, is following the directions and applying it to wet hair BEFORE shampooing. I hopped in the shower, wet my hair throughout, applied the product generously (I have thick bra strap length hair, so a dollop in one palm wasn't going to do the trick), and then clipped up my hair, popped on a shower cap, and did some cleaning up around the house for a good 6 or so hours before rinsing the product out and then washing and conditioning my hair as usual (I washed and conditioned with the Suave Naturals line...HIGHLY recommend this for transitioning women of color). Detangling was much easier than normal and took much less time and effort, and after I blow dried, I was left with very smooth, hydrated, shiny hair...best results I've had than with any other deep conditioner.

I have also used this product as a styling aid - I applied it to dry, frizzy ends one night before bed. I must admit, applying it to completely dry hair leaves the hair feeling very sticky, but in the morning, my hair had completely soaked it up and I was left with moisturized ends and no more frizzies.

Many have issues with the color, texture, and smell...this product IS a bit sticky, but warming it in your hands before application helps, and the smell is wonderful - light and citrusy.

I would highly recommend this for hair that is one or more of the following: thick, dry, frizzy, African-American.

This product is really heavy and helps when spot cleaning the dog. You also know that it is natural so it is okay for them. I would imagine it is good for getting sticky stuff out of hair on kids.

I have tried lots of deep conditioning treatments, from high-end salon to drugstore varieties. This is one of the best I've used for my long, curly, color-treated and flatironed hair. Use only a LITTLE at a time, and use a comb in the shower as you work it through. Otherwise it glops up in places. If you take the time to work it through evenly, and leave it on for at least the recommended 15 minutes, it WILL wash out, and it WILL make a big difference for the overall condition of your hair.

Ahhh. . .Burt's Bee's Avacado Hair Treatment. I have had mixed results. The first time I used it I followed the directions perfectly (shampooing AFTER treatment) and it took about 10 days of washings to get the product out of my hair. Swore I would never use it again.
A year or so later a friend raved about it so I got brave and tried it again.
This time I LOVE it! I use between a nickel and a quarter sized amount for my shoulder length layered hair. I work it through my hair at the beginning of my shower. . .leave in for 10 minutes or so and then wash out ususally with Aveda Rosemary Mint or Biolage Energy Shampoo. Usually wash twice, running hands through sudsy hair to fully remove product.
Afterwords my hair is super shiny and full with lots of volume.
I use the Avacado Butter about 2-3X a week.

Bought this at Whole Foods after looking around for a heavy duty hair conditioner there (definitely not the place). I have to say ... I will NEVER NEVER EVER buy another BB's product. I should have learned my lesson well before. This stuff is gross...it feels like you're putting vaseline in your hair and didn't make mine feel any better. Then I tried is as a styling product (it is recommended for this also) and was equally disgusted. Made my hair look dirty and gross. Sorry Burt's Bee's ... I love the idea of your stuff ... but I totally don't get how you have been so successful. If anyone want's it... let me know. I have a full tube.

This ain't your average, wimpy conditioning treatment. This stuff is heavy duty. Yes, it's thick and kind of difficult to work with, but the results are well worth it. Just follow the directions. This isn't used like most deep conditioning treatments. It's applied BEFORE you shampoo.

My hair is long, fine, color treated, and damaged. This hair treatment makes an enormous difference in the feel and texture of my hair. I think the shampoo you use to wash the avocado hair treatment out makes a big difference. Any shampoo from the Giovanni organic hair care line seems to work well with it. I have never used this to style my hair--can't comment on that. Deducted a point for the packaging. It's difficult to squeeze the product out of the tube after a couple applications.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this for free, so it doesn't really bother me if it doesn't live up to high standards. For one thing, it has a strong peach smell, and the texture is really thick. It works best if you leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning though.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Oh my. This is probably THE most horrible product that I've ever tried. It felt like putting Vaseline on my hair. I don't think I've ever detested a product so much in my life. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

if you dont use it BEFORE you shampoo you will not like it (duh) i used it on wet hair as the directions say,and left it on overnight(that was my idea)...shampooed next morning and i have soft,shiney great fresh smelling hair...i will definitley always have this on hand for a weekly treatment

Normally I loooooove Burts but this stuff was awful! It completely weighed my hair down and I NEVER have that problem (my hair is thick and it takes A LOT to weigh it) Dont try this unless u want limp dirty looking hair