Goody Spin Pin

4.4

on 12/2/2011 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Although I do find these easy to use, I'm pretty good at getting my hair in a bun with bobby pins, so that's not why I like them. This is why I think spin pins are great: When I put my hair in an elastic and put it up with regular bobby pins or a clip, the weight of my hair gets pulled by gravity, and by the end of the day the hair on the top of my head is plastered down and my scalp is sore. Somehow, spin pins distribute the tension better and get me more loose height at the top of my 'do. They are also so comfortable that there feels like there's nothing there. I agree with the posters who have noted that you need to catch the hair in the bun as well as some of the hair on your head. I still can't believe that they stay put by themselves without an elastic. I have no problem keeping them in my curly, fine-textured but dense, shoulder-length hair. The one problem that I sometimes run into is that if I don't position the pins properly, the ends of my hair can stick out. But if that happens, I just re-tuck the hair into the bun and reposition the pins.

on 11/19/2011 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I saw the Goody Spin Pins in a magazine. I went online to find out more. I read the reviews here at Makeup Alley, and visited Ebay to see the ten for $3 spin pins. I did not immediately order online. I had to think about it... Then a few days later, I was at the local drugstore. I spied the Goody version, and got the "light hair" color and brought it home and used it the very next day.

I thought the packaging was excessive. So much cardboard for two little wires -- I guess that's how they justify the price -- but at least there were three basic hairstyle suggestions included.

My hair is just past my shoulders, medium texture and wavy. Not a lot of it, but it develops a very nice volume if I scrunch it while wet. I read reviews by ladies with bone straight, fine hair. Apparently, the spin pins slip out for them.

Stayed in just fine for me!

I pulled my hair into a ponytail, without a band, and just kept twisting, until the tension wound my hair into a bun. At this point, I would usually use two hair sticks to keep my bun in place. This time, I twisted the pins in. No visible means of support. Better then two chopsticks sticking out of my head. Sometimes, I'd forget the hair sticks were there and get hung up on something.

I went about my usual daily activities. I forgot the Spin Pins were there when I went to bed. I slept with them in! Totally comfortable. In the morning, I realized I had slept with them in. Don't try that with two long sticks poking out of your head!

My ponytail often gets in the way when I exercise. I have to hold the end so I don't roll over it while doing Pilates exercises. I consider the spin pins to be my newest exercise equipment. Now I understand why I read about them in a Pilates magazine.

Even though these little guys set me back $7.39 plus 6% sales tax, I consider it money well spent.

I will get another pair or two and try a hairstyle that I've never mastered -- the twist. It looks so elegant, but I've never been able to get the hang of it.

on 11/17/2011 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Lost a pin while jogging two blocks from work to the bus stop. It did not keep my hair up, and ultimately, my hair would fall out in a mess. A pony tail was much neater. I have long, past the shoulder, length straight, thick (very thick according to my hair dressers) Asian hair. I tried it for several weeks, and it just refused to work as promised.

on 11/11/2011 10:27:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have medium thick, shoulder length hair and I think these are the greatest invention ever! I am horrible at styling my hair, even using a hair tie to make a bun is difficult for me since my hair never stays in the bun. However, since my hair is layered, I know I'll never get a perfect ballerina bun out of it, but I'm already happy that this works for me!

on 11/9/2011 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love it. I have thick curly hair normally and when i straighten it is slick. i love it to hold my hair without styling. it is one of the few things that can hold my heavy thick hair. and when my hair is straightened it is a little less secure but still works so well. i love it, but i can understand that it will not work for slicker finer hair... sorry guys

on 11/5/2011 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

My hair was too thick for these. It's very coarse, straight and slick, too, so I'm definitely not in the target demographic for these things. However, my friend with finer hair wears them all the time and they look great, so if you've got a different hair type they might work for you.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm really iffy on this product. I wanted to like it very much but it's just alright. I paid about $6 for these and I actually originally bought them for my mom, but of course I tried them on myself as well. My mom has very straight, chemically processed hair, and yet I've noticed it is very smooth and sleek. With that being said, the spin pins did not hold her hair! All scrunchies and hair ties slip on her hair so I thought that this MUST work but it didn't at all. Now, I have a curly and frizzy mess on top of my head and it certainly did hold my hair pretty well. However, I know that I would be too lazy to ever use these. Throwing my hair in a bun with a hair tie is much easier and faster and I prefer messy buns than the more perfect spin pin buns. Overall, I prefer my hair in a ponytail rather than a bun. So these were a bit disappointing for me, but I can see how many people would love them.

on 10/23/2011 7:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I think these are best suited for those with thick hair. If you have fine hair like I do, these Spin Pins may not stay in place. I have longish hair, several inches past my shoulders/halfway down my back. I can't for the life of me put my hair in a chignon and have it stay put using these pins - it always manages to slip out and come undone. I have the regular/original size ones that come in a set of two. When I put my hair up, the ends are always noticeable and my bun unravels. I wonder if the set of three smaller Spin Pins are more suitable for my hair type? Anyways, I was really disappointed with these pins.

on 9/18/2011 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have long thick hair, and this works for me for a quick easy bun.

However, I have to properly align the pins to secure my hair, or else, my hair will just fall down in a couple of minutes and then I have to re-do the bun again.

It's a bit tricky to use, I've been using this for months now and I still need a few tries before I can really secure my hair. But I will buy again, in case I lose my pair of pins.

Whoa, do I love these little suckers.

I have long hair and it's ill behaved so I have to either flat iron it into submission or wear it up. Even to do a pony tail requires the flat iron. With these guys I separate my hair into two sections and then tie it into three knots and the spin one in from the top and one from the bottom and I get that awesome, messy, knotty hair look that used to take me 30 Bobby pins to achieve. You can do a bun or a chignon or two cute little top-knot buns or whatever.

Now, I want to mention that while my hair is long it is also pretty fine. If you have thick hair these may not work for you, or you may need 4 instead of just 2.

These are my HG up-do accessories.

Video Reviews & Tutorials