Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to love this product -- all the great reviews made me think this would be my HG product. I have very, very oily, acne-prone, scarred skin. First, finding a match was really rough; I bought so many samples hoping to find a keeper, disregarding the fact that the products (both OCC and OCS) imparted a nasty, greasy, glossing glow after about 50 minutes of wear, and that was with primer and setting powder. I am not well versed in minerals I just know that for a person with oily skin, a foundation that sets with a glow is a definite no-go. I looked horrible which is a shame because the coverage is fantastic, if you can find an appropriate color match. I gave the company 2 lippies because I love their CS and the Ambrosia serum is terrif. In general very disappointed. Just goes to prove YMMV.

on 7/25/2012 11:53:00 AM

Hands down the best foundation I've ever used. I like it much better than MAC Studio Fix powder and Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte. I used N5 & Winged Butter respectively of the previous too and use Creamy Bisque in this line. Now that it's summer and I am a bit darker, I'll try to go up a notch as it's a little light. I use this over Skin79 Gold BB cream and my skin looks flawless. I use both OCC in the foundation and finishing powder (with the Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer brush) and spritz with homemade setting spray. What makes me love this over the other 2 powders was when I was working, I would have to blot after lunch and at the end of the school day I was really oily. With this I don't blot at all. I don't need too. It does a fantastic job keeping my skin looking fresh. I'm so happy with this company that I switched over to their blushes and use their mineral liners which are fantastic. I'm not crazy about the eyeshadows though. I found them hard to blend.

on 7/16/2012 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this foundation! I first discovered this product here on MUA and it only had 8 or so reviews. Now there are almost 200 so I am glad that this product has been discovered by so many people. I am putting the word out- this is HG for me. I have crazy-sensitive breakout prone skin that reacts to everything. I have been using Bare Minerals for about 6 years and now I realize that was what was causing me problems. I determined I am sensitive to the bismuth oxychloride. With Bare Minerals I would get little clusters of clogged pores in small patches. For years my skin wasn't horrible but it never really looked good with all of the clogged pores. I experimented with switching out my cleansers, night cream etc. in hopes of finding the culprit. I ordered samples of this foundation and sat on it for about 4 months before trying it out because I was afraid it would break me
out even more. When I finally tried it my skin was instantly better. It wears beautifully if you are careful not to apply too much. My skin is looking so good now it is a miracle. I have no new clogged pores and the ones I had are disappearing. I have been using this for about a month now and my only regret is that I didn't try it sooner! I use Cream in the Lucy Light formula, I was using Golden Fair in Bare Minerals. Good Luck and thank you MUAers for turining me on to this amazing product!

on 7/13/2012 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have always had problem skin and was always trying to solve it with different cleansers. I ended on PCA Skincare but still got breakouts just not as bad. I never really gave much thought to the makeup making much of a difference. I changed makeup a couple different times between bare minerals, neutregena skin clearing and a couple more I can't remember...and never saw a difference so really just didn't think it had any bearing. Well I had gotten fet up with the acne scars and marks and was looking for something new to try that would give good coverage and not be too bad for my skin. Well I found Lucy Minerals on MakeupAlley and because it was highly rated I thought I'd give it a try and it has really changed my skin! I am just in LOVE with this stuff. I use the oil control (OCC). I couldn't tell you if it's the makeup, the ambrosia serum or exfoliating more or just all 3 but WOW. My acne is gone and my skin is just so much healthier and smoother. My sister couldn't stop telling me on a couple difference occasions how great my skin looked. If you have problem skin, please just give it a try and remember to moisturize and use the serum! Makes a huge difference! Love love love it!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been on the look-out for a new mineral foundation ever since my HG UD Surreal Skin started to just flake out, or they changed the formula(my suspicion). Anyway, I was attracted to this because of the good reviews and the great/cheap sample sizes they offer. Just 2.50 each for a decent sized sample, and I got free shipping on them too.

To start, I tried the normal formula first. I'm really impressed with it so far. I've found a great match with Pale Olive, although I'm thinking of mixing Creamy Olive and Pale Olive since it's a bit too light. Overall, the coverage is great and has a semi-matte finish. I don't have much acne anymore so I'm not the best opinion on that matter, but powders often look ashy or cakey, and this doesn't, which is good enough for me.

I'm probably a bit biased since I'm so syked(sp?) to find a foundation that offers such a great light olive shade. The Pale Olive is a true olive, no yellow, pink, or 'neutral' tones. It is difficult to get right, for whatever reason. It looks kind of flat, to be honest, but that's my skin and I'd rather go with what looks natural than having to put makeup all over my neck for a more 'lively' shade to match. Anyway, if you have olive skin and have a ridiculous time trying to find a match, I recommend Pale Olive or Creamy Olive.

My only complaint, as I see others have had as well, is that my face does get super oily with it. Granted, this is after 10 hours of wear but still, it is more oily than my other mineral foundations. I wouldn't say it wears as well, you'll probably need to touch up halfway through the day, unlike my UD. Not a big deal but for those who are out and about or live in hot climates might want to try the oil control formula they have. I just ordered samples of that right now, so I'll update my review when I get to try those out.

I'll leave it at 5 stars and somewhat leave this review unfinished until I can try the Oil Control, but overall I'm impressed with Lucy Minerals and recommend the normal formula for those with dry-normal skin.

UPDATE 10/28: So I'm sad to say that I no longer use this. Having to reapply just got to me after a while as I don't like carrying makeup around, and it just made my face too oily. I tried out their oil control formulas and got about the same results, honestly. I'm only going to knock it down to 3 because their CS is so amazing. The woman who runs it(Annie I think) really cares about her customers, ships fast and often includes freebies. Overall I can't badmouth Lucy Minerals, it's just not for me. I might revisit it soon since I haven't used it in a while, and will update if I've changed my mind.

on 6/29/2012 5:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm happy to say that today was my first day wearing this foundation and I'm already loving it! I tried the OCC formula (Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate), and paired with OCC finishing powder, it kept my oiliness at bay miraculously well. I only had to blot ONCE during the day! I have a combination skin with an oily T-zone, some redness, my forehead currently breaking out, dry patches around my nose and mouth, but none of these was a problem when wearing the Lucy Minerals Foundation. I have yet to try the OCS formula but honestly, I can't imagine how it could be better than this one, haha.

I had read numerous reviews before receiving my samples so I knew how to use the foundation. I applied it with my EcoTools retractable kabuki, starting with the tiniest amount and working it up from there. The foundation went on quite nicely (I had to buff like crazy, though), the consistency is very creamy and the coverage is great without looking cakey or unnatural. First it looked just nice, but about half an hour later my skin transformed into this beautiful, even, perfect thing.

I really like it how the sample jars come with sifters! (Sifters are genius, I love sifters.) Shade-wise, I didn't find a perfect match. I did a full face with Creamy Olive but it was a bit ashy on me, so I'll try mixing it with some Creamy Bisque next.

Definitely going to purchase a full-size jar once I figure out the right blend for my exact shade match. At $15, I think it's super cheap! Their shipping rates are very affordable, too, and my first order arrived in ten days which I think is very reasonable (I live in Finland). Hands down, this is my new number one favourite foundation.

on 6/26/2012 3:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay I waited a while before reviewing this foundation!
I use the calcium carbonate oil control formula in Golden Medium

One thing's for sure this stuff has got a learning curve...

PROS
-Awesome coverage for a mineral foundation, borders close on liquid
foundation type coverage
-Yellow undertoned shades available
-Not irritating to the skin
-So cheap and so much product
-The packaging is not messy!
-Lasts decently long for a powder

CONS
-Really must blend this stuff in or it looks really chalky. Blend blend
and let your oils come through and soften it before you judge it.
-Any flakiniess accentuated, sometimes settles into fine lines-
moisturize!

Definitely recommend and will repurchase!
Best and most affordable mineral foundation I have used thus far!

on 6/17/2012 11:54:00 AM

8/19/12 I finished all my sample shades and ordered 2 full sized foundations. Really, really love this one!!!
I've been testing this foundation over the past two months; I'm currently on my second formula and shade. I liked the original formula in Pale Olive, but now I really love the Oil Control Foundation with Silica (OCS) in Creamy Olive, a shade darker than the previous and better for me in the summer. The coverage it provides is wonderful! It controls my oiliness so much better than my much-loved Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (my recent return to liquid foundations after a decade or so). Soooo creamy to the touch and upon application to the skin! I just love it!

Ingredients for the OCS formula: Ingredients~ zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, silica dioxide, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly® polyphenols, trans-resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.

When I've finished this sample jar ($2.50 ea), I will try the Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate (OCC) in Creamy Olive as well and then review that formula.

www.lucyminerals.com - Scroll down for shades

on 6/15/2012 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to say that I wasn't 100% satisfied with this product, although I realllly wanted to be. The product goes on fine at the beginning of the day. Its more convenient to buff on some mineral makeup than to sponge on foundation then go over with some powder later! So I was kind of excited at first but (even though I didn't want to accept it) the makeup made me very shiny, especially in the oil-prone areas (and Im not very oily at all), and pretty shiny everywhere else. I had also never experience streaking with makeup in my life so I didn't recognize it at first but this foundation majorly streaks on my nose. Its like just shiny and the makeup goes away. Very dissapointing :( Im now wondering if possibly the oil control is better or good primer because I do like the coverage at the beginning of the application. Im not sure if I want to purchase the oil control and risk it or just move on :/

Although this makeup went on fine at the beginning of the day, the colors are a bit off and I felt some itching and tingling by the day's end. I had the highest hopes for this product and unfortunately it mildly disappointed me. However, MAD minerals seems to be working just fine now and the color, coverage, consistency, and lasting power are all so amazing, so I recommend checking out as a better choice for ridiculously sensitive skin.