April 19, 2014 | 1165 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2013 12:45:00 AM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's better than not using a primer but definitely not great.

Cons:
Did virtually nothing to prevent creasing or smearing of eyeliner
Very little product in package - seems to be me it's full of mostly air as I've only used it 7 - 10 times and I barely have anything left in the tube

Pro:
$1
Light in texture and easy to apply

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is my go-to eye primer, I've gone through countless tubes of this stuff and I don't plan on switching to anything else because this works great for only a dollar. The only thing I don't love about this primer is that it doesn't have enough...stick? It blends into the eyelid very well but I have to use a different base like a cream shadow over it to really get my eyeshadows to their full potential (I don't mind it though, I pretty much always use some kind of base after primer.)

But it's amazing how well this works for being only a buck.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by TheLastOfUs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Finally! I have gotten up off my ass and bought a primer for my weird eyeballs! Unfortunately, my town never thought of putting up an Ulta or a Sephora somewhere so I'm stuck with drugstore makeup. And since I'm poor (not really, my family just doesn't give me more money than I'd wish they'd give me), I get dirt cheap makeup while I'm saving up for good stuff.

This stuff is amazing, especially for its price ($1, if you didn't already know this, duh). It keeps my eyeliner in place for longer than I would without it, and pencil eyeliner doesn't smudge a bit with this stuff. I'll repurchase again and again, because this is simply awesome.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by hzollo

love this product! i've always had really oily eyelids and my makeup would always crease. other eye primers are really good also but why pay so $17 when you can pay $1. can't beat it. i drove all over to different targets just to find this product and most targets were sold out, that must be a good sign.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by MakeupMaven94

I work in a high end makeup store so I know a good product when I see one. Ladies (and gents ;) This is the holy grail for the frugal makeup lover! Keeps my eyeshadow perfect all day without drying out my lids. My only complaint is a few packaging issues and a bit of confusion over the product itself. The product is only a dollar so for that price it was already more than i could have hoped for.... BUT. Did the packaging have to be so cheap that the lid cracked when i twisted it tightly shut? Me thinks not. Also, When I first bought it I thought it was liquid-y and cheap feeling with barely any product in the tube. Then I bought a beauty book that included some great eyeshadow, a below average eyeliner pencil, and a small tube of eyelid primer. Now when I tried this stuff, My prayers had been answered! I have no idea what they did to change the product but it was a good change! I would put this up against the urban decay primer potion! I will have to wait until I run out of the good stuff to see if it was a fluke or if i just got a bad one on my first purchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by macabremakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have extremely oily skin and the same can be said of my eyelids. Having hooded eyes doesn't help either but this little primer does the trick. I can definitely tell a difference when I use this primer. My eye shadows are less likely to crease (although they will eventually due to the nature of my eyelid shape, but this holds it off for a good while). And you cannot beat the price. I keep a back up of this on hand.

**Update**
I don't know what has happened but this product has somehow stopped working for me. :( My shadows aren't staying like they used to and within 20 minutes of application, my shadows are creasing. I don't know if all the blame should go to the product or to my seriously hooded, droopy and oily eyelids...but it isn't working as well as it seemed to before. I've used many of these so I don't know if I'm just used to the formula now. :-(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Wifeandmama

This is one of the makeup world's best-kept secrets. It goes on easily, just a swipe or two across your lid and blend. It's fairly light in color, but that's perfect for me. there are a couple of other colors, but i am not sure any would work for women of color. but for me, it covers all sorts of redness, and gives even low-end shadows something to hold onto. All for $1!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Makes cheap eyeshadow look and last like top quality eyeshadow! Eyeshadow looks smoother, stays fresh, and keeps the colors separated and vibrant. I have oily lids and without this most eyeshadow brands turn muddy then wear off or go patches in less than an hour or slide down onto my cheeks. The Essential Eyelid Primer takes care of it all. Its cheap but works so will re-purchase.

My only quibbles are:
1. Wish it was a squeezy tube that held more product - I hate throwing away tubes into the rubbish all the time (bad for environment) nd I find it hard to get the last bit out. The new tube seems full of air. I'd be happy to pay more for a fuller one.

2. The creation of this category of product tempts and even causes makeup companies to downgrade their quality make really rubbish eyeshadows so they can up-sell us this new product. Even some of the high-end companies are gradually making poorer quality shadows than they used to 10 - 30 years ago. I believe this is deliberate so they can make their products look intially cheap so we buy up large amounts then convince us we "need" to part with more cash and buy these extra primers to make them work. This is NOT NORMAL!! Makeup used to be very very expensive, but each piece was much higher quality, even in the lower ends. In fact, I have proof. I have some shadows from the 1980's some Revlon and some rock bottom priced cheap eye palettes, and they are ALL buttery smooth and highly pigmented, and long lasting even to this day. I even have some from the 1920's - 50's that are better than todays rubbish. (No, I don't actually use them on my eyes anymore for hygenie reasons but keep vintage makeup for reference so I can compare changes in the makeup quality and fashions). These vintage shaows totally blow today's overpriced MAC shadows out of the water which are so often disappointly sheer and dry in texture. Newbies to the makeup world swear MAC is amazing and it used to be but not now its shamefull whats gradually happening. If you've only tried whats on the market today, you've never experienced a really good quality eyeshadow. Why do you think we all have Huuuge makeup collections and hardly ever used a product to the end? Because they're all a bit disappointing, and we keep searching, thats why. Yes, lipsticks textures have improved over the years with new technologies but eyeshadows and are so often rubbish. Just thought you'd like to know. Hope the companies improve.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by cutiekolta14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this today and opened it to swatch it, and the Dou foot applicator literally detached from the screw on top. I was pretty dissapointed considering it was my first time opening the product. I know it was only a dollar but they could've use more glue...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by LilacShine9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This eyelid primer is just as great as high end. The color of it is like a fair-medium concealer. It blends well and doesn't dry too fast when applying + dries to a matte finish. It helps eyeshadow look more vibrant and keeps it in place for hours. Highly recommended.