E.L.F. Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Cyclopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Barium Sulfate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is *the* option for your very first eye primer. It's a mere dollar! It's much much better than going without, that's for sure. It gives a sheer wash of color and makes the color stay for about 6 hours before it starts to break down. It's not a miracle worker but it's a good first option. If you love eye shadow, buy urban decay's instead.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Like all primers, e.l.f. Essential Eyelid Primer is supposed to prep my lids to make eye shadow longer-lasting & to stop it from creasing. The packaging is like a lip gloss—a tube & a wand with a sponge applicator. I apply it to my eyes with the wand & blend it in with my fingertip; after it dries, I apply eye shadow like normal. Unfortunately, it was average & cheap; it was a classic case of “getting what I paid for.” I didn't love this, but I like it well enough. It would be good for a teenager experimenting with makeup or someone who’s just starting to wear it. (Hey, I was practically 18 before I’d started wearing makeup!) If you’re experienced or have used a good-quality primer, I think you’ll agree that it isn’t the best to use. I honestly have two or three other primers I know I’d grab before this one.

What annoys me the most is I am almost certain it “doesn’t work” because of my skin type. I have oily skin & lids & while this does work for me, it’s only for a little while, & just barely. It’s not the worst product, but I only use it if I have no other options… out of necessity. I have shade Sheer, but on the website I see there are others. They're Champagne, Pearl, & Golden. The primer cost me $1 & I got it from Target.

on 6/1/2014 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I get the same outcome with urban decays primer. I have trialed both of them. Urban decays does eventually crease sometimes and so does this. Sometimes I felt like this lasted longer. This doesnt make ur lids matte but does keep shadow from creasing.

on 5/14/2014 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know what changed but this primer no longer is working for me. It's greasy and just sits on my eyelids. Even if I barely use any, it still creases like crazy.

on 5/10/2014 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This product was pretty worthless for me. Worked slightly better than nothing at all, but at the end of the day I still had shadow build up in my creases. Maybe it works for some people, and I just have especially oily eyelids. I didn't expect much for the price, but was still a little disappointed.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is better than the Urban Decay Primer Potion! The UD one runs for about $20 while this one only runs for $1 & it works even better!! My eyeshadow will stay for 12+ hours & it never creases! I am almost finished with bottle #2 & I will be repurchasing

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

All I can say about this product is YEEEESSS. Before buying this, I just tried using concealer as a primer, but it creased horribly. This actually withstands my oily eyelids and keeps my shadows on all day!! I used this primer today when i went to a glassblower studio and my shadows DID NOT BUDGE even next to the heat of 3 furnaces! Just remember that this is a primer, it doesn't claim to make your shadows look more vibrant, although it does help a little with that. For $1, you must! try this if you have not!

on 4/17/2014 12:18:00 PM

Con's
- didnt help with the shadow, after 1 hour my shadow greased.
- little product in the tube.

Its around $1-2 in the states, but here it is around $5,- for the elf primer.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is a great primer for beginners - but that's about it. I find that there are so many better quality primers for just a few dollars more. I do see a difference in using this and using nothing at all, but after wearing during the day I found that the eyeshadow creased and caked with this primer. The eyeshadow found its way into the lines in my eyes and the colors separated and it didn't look very pretty. I find myself always using my UDPP or my WnW Fergie eyeshadow primer. They work 1000x better and I don't notice any problems with either of them. The WnW primers is a bit more oily so I do prefer my UDPP over everything. If you are just beginning makeup, I would recommend using this primer because it's an inexpensive way to experiment with makeup. For the first few months when I was buying makeup I would stick to drugstore makeup such as E.L.F., Covergirl, Maybelline, WnW, and N.Y.C. After a while of experimenting with makeup from these brands, I find myself STILL loving them but also loving my Urban Decay, Lorac, and Sephora brand makeup. I will NEVER stop buying inexpensive brands because sometimes the deal is too great to pass up and a lot of the time you are pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of these products, but they won't live up to the standards of a more pricey high-quality product.

on 4/11/2014 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I was actually very pleasantly surprised by this primer! I've tried my fair share of primers from Urban Decay, Too Faced, Smashbox, and NYX. For how cheap it is, it works just as well and the Urban Decay and Too Faced primers, possibly even surpassing the Urban Decay Primer Potion since shadows seem to blend over the ELF Primer better. I don't have major issues with eyeshadows creasing that I used to, but I like this primer for how it provides a base for my eyeshadows without drying my lids out or making it too hard to blend. It has a creamy texture similar to UDPP, and a little thicker than TFSI or the NYX HD Eye Primer. I also find that my shadows last all day with this without creasing, and I wear my makeup for over 12 hours most days. I don't really notice if this makes my shadows appear more vibrant as I always layer a cream shadow over this, but I'm glad that it prevents my eyeshadows from creasing all day!