I love this foundation because it does exactly what it claims to do! All us ladies with OILY skin, here is a foundation that finally keeps up matte! This foundation keeps me more matte for longer periods of time than any other foundation, even Revlon Colorstay (for the record I have extremely oily skin). I believe this has to do with it being a fairly light coverage, which can be built up to a nice medium to full coverage if you apply more than one layer. Normally I love matte full coverage foundations but with almost all "full coverage" foundations I tend to get extremely oily by the end of the day to the point that my makeup has completely separated and I have huge patches on my face; I have never had this happen with this foundation! Like I mentioned earlier it isn't full coverage by any means but it can be built up fairly easily if you work quickly. This foundation is quite natural looking on me but if you have normal or combination skin this might appear too matte. I highly recommend this product for anyone that just can't keep a non-oily face for longer than 4 hours. I don't care for the packaging; if you want a pump you have to pay 6$ more so that adds to the already hefty price of the product. Also it does contain parabens which is unfortunate and for this reason I only gave it 4 stars rather than 5.
I got a little sample bottle of this as I LOVE their pure radiant tinted moisturizer and it's one of those foundations that you hear a lot about, so I thought it was worth a try!
However, I was really disappointed with this one. It's quite light coverage so doesn't do much to conceal imperfections, but instead of making you look radiant and glowing it is like a magnet to your dry bits and really accentuates any dry patches you have. It also looked a bit caked and went oily very quickly throughout the day.
The overall look it gave my skin was not great at all, half way through the day I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought 'eurgh, my skin looks awful!'.
I think if you have really normal skin without any dry patches, that doesn't get oily either then this might work for you, but even so I think there are much better foundations on the market.
This is product is ok. It feels very light weight. However, it did not help with my very oily T-zone. It's not long wearing too, by midday I feel like most of my foundation is gone. I think it's not worth the price.
So I've been through the gambit of foundations--Clinque, MAC, Bare Minerals, etc. and I absolutely love this product. I pump a little onto my non-dominant clean hand (back of). I apply it with the number 190 MAC brush. A little goes a long way. I have a difficult time finding the right color match so I blend it with the Laguna illuminator and its perfect.
Pros: no breakouts, sheer enough to not look cakey, decent coverage, non-greasy; perfect color match; easy to set with powder. Minimizes blemishes and imperfections.
Cons: expensive, not as much coverage as MAC
Just a quick tip with this foundation and any liquid nars complexion products for that matter...use your fingers. nars products are designed to be apply with your finger tips. It gives a much more natural and not cakey look.
meh- not worth the money. maybe for those with relatively flawless skin, but not for me. i have oily skin, and this did nothing for it. it didn't break me out or anything, it just didn't work as well as i would expect for the price tag
This was my wedding foundation on a humid, August sunny afternoon in New York. It is a great formula for my combination dry complexion. Long wearing, truly matte (but not flat), with solid medium to full coverage leaving my skin even and finished and can be built up as needed. It is exactly what I want for the office and for power-wear from day to night. I also own Sheer Glow and much prefer the Matte formula due to better longevity. On my light tan neutral Asian NC30/C4 complexion, I use Stromboli.If you have a similar skin type (combo dry) and are looking for a polished, medium finish with long wear, def try a sample of this stuff!
This is the worse foundation I have ever tried!! I have normal skin but in summer it get a bit oilier. This foundation looked aweful!!!!! It showed my dry patches like nothing else! I mean I dont have that many dry patches in my face and they are rare! It looked cakey on me and it didnt matter if i applied a lit of moisturizer and exfoliated and applied primer it still looked patchy and moved around. Honestly the only way I managed to wear this is to use it on top of the Garnier BB cream which makes me super oily so they sorta balanced each other out. But I didnt pay so much money to have to put so much effort into making it work! The packaging is nice but it needs a pump otherwise it gets really messy.
Used a sample of this for 3 days, 8-10 hrs each day, using a different moisturizer each day.
Texture/Consistency: Almost like a gel-liquid type foundation once you pour it out. A little thick, definitely creamy. I have normal-dry skin. Yes, I know...why did I use a matte foundation when I have dry skin? Hey, I wanted to try it out. No matter what type of moisturizer I used underneath, I found this foundation very difficult to blend smoothly. It took a lot of patting with fingers or patting with a foundation brush (both regular and stipple) to get it to blend away the patches of product clinging to my skin. Although I have dry skin, I do NOT flake anywhere...at least I THOUGHT I didnt flake anywhere. However, once I applied this, the foundation stuck to the tip & side of my nose, and suddenly I looked like I was peeling. I had to scrub it away with some water before leaving the house. The non-dry parts of my face (forehead and chin) did not flake, but it was still hard to blend than other foundations. There was no caking after applying up to 2 layers.
Color: I used Ceylan & Deauville (I use Ceylan and/or Fiji in Sheer Glow). For some reason, the shades in the Sheer Matte seem darker than Sheer Glow. Shade works for me. I'm asian, nc25, yellow undertones.
Coverage: Medium. I did not use any concealer with this to test. Initially, 2 layers covered up some old acne spots I have so it was not too noticeable, but did not totally make them disappear.
Staying Power: Lasted all day. I noticed my forehead got a bit oilier than usual after 5 hours, which is unusual for me. This happened all 3 days I used this. I didn't experience any fading of coverage, but I did touch up with my MAC MSFN after 5 hours when I started getting a bit oily.
I have combination skin and I have a really physical indoors job. My biggest facial skin bane in life is shine control for my T zone. (OK I love it when mum reassures me that facial oil protects me from early wrinkles).
This is the only foundation that has made it through 8 hours where I didn't have to apply a shine absorbing product. Thats like a miracle.... BUT I warn you I have made sacrifices in order to keep using this product.
1. this foundation is just snooty. It does not get chummy with all of my day creams- it will ball up with some. So I highly recommend you get a sample and try it over your usual moisturisers, primers and spf products otherwise, like me you may have to change some of those. No-one wants ball clumps hanging off your face or dirtying your sink.
2. the packaging totally sucks. The pump is not sold here in Ireland and the SA said it was because they keep getting blocked. This product is thick like a Mac Donalds Mac Fluffy dessert. When you shake that tiny bottle each morning, you will fear that it will fly out of your mitt and smash the mirror and then boomerang back to hit your own eye ball. Consider it an achievement every time this doesn't happen. And you cannot be sure your shaking has had any effect on the product. It is like a nail varnish without those little rattly balls that let you know your shaking is of use.
3. Even after shaking it is hard to get out of the bottle and you are at serious risk of bruising yourself. So people who bruise easily should stay away from this or use the pump which will block up. I have to get up 5 minutes earlier so I have time to get the foundation out of the bottle.
4. Its unforgiving- if you have any dry patches of scaley skin eg annoying dry skin around nostrils like after a cold. This foundation makes those patches look like lizard scales. so watch out unless you want to look reptilian.
5. It has a smell initially like preserved dead bodies, but this goes away once it dries on your face.
1. OMG shine control!!!!! HG all the way for shine control. Its amazing and the main reason I endure all the CONS.
2. The colour match was perfect for me - so natural looking and slightly radiant wow. I use stromboli.
3. Build up-able- my bright pink cheeks are hidden- no need for concealer so I can wear coral and peach shades. yayy.
I hope this helps!!