July 31, 2014 | 1346 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by MsBeatrixKiddo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am mixed race with a tanned skin tone and I have VERY naturally oily skin. This usually creates two problems when I wear eyeshadow; first unless the shadow is very highly pigmented it rarely shows well on my skin and second every eyeshadow I've tried eventually creeps into my eyelid crease due to the oils in my skin. I've found even popular branded eyeshadows (Mac/Urban Decay) ended up migrating by the end of the day :(

I tried this primer without reading reviews as it was only 1.50 and I cannot believe how good it is. I have been using this for a couple of months and now cheaper shadows that previously barely showed on my skin can appear quite bright and intense.

However the best feature of this primer for me is that it is the only thing I've used which combats my oily eyelids, I have put on fairly heavy eyeshadow and still had it appear flawless and in place 10/12 hours later. Literally 10-12hours. I am gobsmacked! On days when I have especially dark circles or blemishes I even put a dab of this primer on before I used concealer and it will stay put all day.

If you need anymore more persuading, I went to a spa in the week and forgot to take my makeup off but ended up getting my face soaked several times and was in a very steamy wet room for hours and when I left my concealer and eyeshadow was looking pretty dewy and slightly smudged but were basically still where I left it! I couldn't believe it! This primer would honestly be worth 10x what it retails for, I really can't fault it at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by genpoho

I have both urban decays primer potion and the elf primer. I can honestly say that the elf is pretty comparable to the UD! I wish I would have bought the ELF before the UD.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by MrsEdgewood

At first, I was skeptical because of the price. I thought that if it was cheap, the product would be bad. This primer is comparable to any other primer I have ever used. It is also wonderful as a concealer. I have pale skin and the tone blended well with my skin. It can take a few minutes to dry, but otherwise, works very well. The length of time to create a crease on my eyelid with eye shadow can depend: sometimes, it will last all day (6a-10p) and sometimes even 6 hours, but for the price, you can't beat it! It also really depends on the quality of eye shadow you are using with this primer. And the best thing about this is that it is only a dollar! I love this product and will continue to use it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2012 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Tallywa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product is very comparable to the UDPP as there is practically no difference in how well it makes eyeshadow stay. a very good product, cheap and affordable too. i dont find it makes my eyeshadow more vibrant, as it does have a matt finish and pretty much just works to control oil, to make it more vibrant try using a shadow stick underneath, like nyx jumbo eye pencils

EDIT: it holds eyeshadow well and it does mattify, but i find the udpp is better for liner and tightlining

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Kc3558

I really wanted to like this, theres nothing of elf that ive disliked so far. I got this in "sheer" but it is not. It alters the color of the shadow. It leaves a silver or frost residue. Otherwise it works well, does not crease and leaves a nice highlight under the eye area. But my eyeshadow collection is very neutral & the colors do not pop as well, maybe it works well with vibrant neon shadows but thats not my style. I will stay with my palladio herbal, works well and just a couple bucks more

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by leslieb

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I could only get my hands on the $1tube, but I like it. I go back and fourth between this and udpp and I really only notice a slight difference. I will be repurchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

Does what it's supposed to. I do get occasional creasing after a long 12 hour work day... But that is a loooooooong time to be wearing eye makeup. Too faced shadow insurance will last 16. But for one dollar I have no complaints what so ever!! This stuff is awesome. Save yourself some $$ ladies!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by danyellec

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this primer. It keeps my shadow on all day and doesn't crease. I am NC30 olive Latina and this does appear to make my lids a little lighter than before I use it. I wait for it to set with my eyes closed for about 30 seconds before applying shadow. I don't have very oily lids, but I do have very oily skin for reference.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by melo0u3e

When I put it on my lid... it turned grey... and I creased really quickly

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by LashFlashingLeda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My major problem with eyeshadow is immediate fading and creasing. I can't afford expensive primers, so when this was recommended to me I thought I'd give it a go.

In terms of color boosting and intensifying, this is no UDPP. I didn't notice a difference on that front at all. It also makes blending noticeably more difficult for me, meaning my eye routine takes a little longer. I was so irritated by this and the lack of intensifying power that after I used it the first time I was resolved to come here and give this a one rating.

And then I looked in the mirror throughout the day and what to my wondering eyes should appear but completely impeccable shadow. I don't have particularly oily lids so I can't speak for people who have more of a problem in this area for me, but this product is a lifesaver for long wear. I only get the faintest creasing after 9 to 10 hours of wear if I use this first, and since it was only a dollar, well--I'm sold. Despite the application problems this causes (which for all I know is a problem for all primers, I have no idea), I use this all the time now. When even your boyfriend notices your eyeshadow is holding up well you know you're on to a winner. Until I can afford to try something more high-end this has become a vital part of my routine.