September 16, 2014 | 1189 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i updated my review after having tried the application that was suggested by one of the reviewers. so, i apply it now in a thin layer. it still feels very greasy but i leave it settle down for a while and then i apply my eyeshadow. it works definitely much better this way. but for some eyeshadows i still need a touch up during the day.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by megjane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm on the hunt for an eye primer that won't crease and is pigmented enough to use as a concealer on my lids with no eyeshadow for a natural every day look. Unfortunately, this creased quite badly within a couple of hours :( Other than the initial texture, I saw no difference between the regular $1 ELF primer and the $3 one - both of them creased.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by MsBeatrixKiddo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am mixed race with a tanned skin tone and I have VERY naturally oily skin. This usually creates two problems when I wear eyeshadow; first unless the shadow is very highly pigmented it rarely shows well on my skin and second every eyeshadow I've tried eventually creeps into my eyelid crease due to the oils in my skin. I've found even popular branded eyeshadows (Mac/Urban Decay) ended up migrating by the end of the day :(

I tried this primer without reading reviews as it was only 1.50 and I cannot believe how good it is. I have been using this for a couple of months and now cheaper shadows that previously barely showed on my skin can appear quite bright and intense.

However the best feature of this primer for me is that it is the only thing I've used which combats my oily eyelids, I have put on fairly heavy eyeshadow and still had it appear flawless and in place 10/12 hours later. Literally 10-12hours. I am gobsmacked! On days when I have especially dark circles or blemishes I even put a dab of this primer on before I used concealer and it will stay put all day.

If you need anymore more persuading, I went to a spa in the week and forgot to take my makeup off but ended up getting my face soaked several times and was in a very steamy wet room for hours and when I left my concealer and eyeshadow was looking pretty dewy and slightly smudged but were basically still where I left it! I couldn't believe it! This primer would honestly be worth 10x what it retails for, I really can't fault it at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by genpoho

I have both urban decays primer potion and the elf primer. I can honestly say that the elf is pretty comparable to the UD! I wish I would have bought the ELF before the UD.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by MrsEdgewood

At first, I was skeptical because of the price. I thought that if it was cheap, the product would be bad. This primer is comparable to any other primer I have ever used. It is also wonderful as a concealer. I have pale skin and the tone blended well with my skin. It can take a few minutes to dry, but otherwise, works very well. The length of time to create a crease on my eyelid with eye shadow can depend: sometimes, it will last all day (6a-10p) and sometimes even 6 hours, but for the price, you can't beat it! It also really depends on the quality of eye shadow you are using with this primer. And the best thing about this is that it is only a dollar! I love this product and will continue to use it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2012 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Tallywa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product is very comparable to the UDPP as there is practically no difference in how well it makes eyeshadow stay. a very good product, cheap and affordable too. i dont find it makes my eyeshadow more vibrant, as it does have a matt finish and pretty much just works to control oil, to make it more vibrant try using a shadow stick underneath, like nyx jumbo eye pencils

EDIT: it holds eyeshadow well and it does mattify, but i find the udpp is better for liner and tightlining

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Kc3558

I really wanted to like this, theres nothing of elf that ive disliked so far. I got this in "sheer" but it is not. It alters the color of the shadow. It leaves a silver or frost residue. Otherwise it works well, does not crease and leaves a nice highlight under the eye area. But my eyeshadow collection is very neutral & the colors do not pop as well, maybe it works well with vibrant neon shadows but thats not my style. I will stay with my palladio herbal, works well and just a couple bucks more

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by leslieb

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I could only get my hands on the $1tube, but I like it. I go back and fourth between this and udpp and I really only notice a slight difference. I will be repurchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

Does what it's supposed to. I do get occasional creasing after a long 12 hour work day... But that is a loooooooong time to be wearing eye makeup. Too faced shadow insurance will last 16. But for one dollar I have no complaints what so ever!! This stuff is awesome. Save yourself some $$ ladies!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by danyellec

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this primer. It keeps my shadow on all day and doesn't crease. I am NC30 olive Latina and this does appear to make my lids a little lighter than before I use it. I wait for it to set with my eyes closed for about 30 seconds before applying shadow. I don't have very oily lids, but I do have very oily skin for reference.