Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 1/31/2014 1:44:00 AM

This made my hands dry. I think we can safely say it was too hard on my face. It would make my face oily, dry, red, gross, etc. I used it for many years. I really do not recommend this product. In the end, I had to stop using it and my face feels much more youthful now.

EDITED: This makes an excellent wash for makeup brushes!! If ever you need something sooo chemically abrasive and harsh, this is definitely the wash for you. It totally removes your makeup and oil from the brushes and makes them squeak.

on 1/26/2014 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

So, I've seen a lot of bad reviews. I'm probably one of the people that'd write a bad review too. I'm actually not too find about this product. I barely washed my face an hour ago & after letting it dry, my face had patches near my mouth, on my chin, reaching up to my forehead. It worked the first 2 days I had it, up until today. That's a big no no for a 14 year old 😑 I don't accept that. But after looking up what you could use to help the dry patches, moisturizing did help a lot. The upside of this though, is that my most of the oils on my face did go away, (which I think caused most of the dry patches on my skin), & that my pimples are starting to go away. I'd probably give this product another try & see how it goes.

on 1/24/2014 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

A basic cleanser. It didn't break me out but i personally didn't like it. I felt like it over dryed my skin.

on 1/19/2014 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am mixed emotions about this product. I have been using it for about 2 weeks or so I am still getting a feel for it. I have heard such huge mixed reviews for this product though, tons of people said it helped with their acne and tons said it dried out their skin. And it's been praised in a couple of magazines and websites so I thought I would give it a go. Now I normally have really oily skin, however, my face has been less oily. Now I am not sure if this has dried out my skin or if it is this gel I have been using that my doctor prescribed to me to control my acne. Despite having drier skin, I honestly don't mind because I have always battled with my oily skin and all I have to do is throw on some moisturizer. My acne spots do look a tad bit on the drier side so I do add more moisture to them. My acne has gone down though, but like I said it could be because of the gel I am using. I plan to keep using it and see what happens, but so far this cleanser isn't bad.

on 12/3/2013 11:19:00 PM

The worst. WILL DRY OUT YOUR SKIN LIKE CRAZY. As well as harsh and will burn your cheeks, as it did when I used it at age 12/13. I still have faint red splotches on my cheeks now at age 20 though luckily it's not that obvious since I naturally have a slight Asian flush anyways.

on 12/2/2013 6:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I should have known better. I read all the reviews about it being overly drying and the stupid marketing about it being the #1 dermatologist choice convinced me to purchase it anyways. I usually use the Clearasil Rapid Action Daily Gel Wash (which I really like the smell and the way it works, although it is a little on the liquidity side), so I thought this one would be close to it. Wrong. It did an average job at foaming up and cleaning and after I towel dried my skin I saw a dry patch that I normally wouldn't see except for when after I put on benzoyl peroxide. My Clearasil wash never caused dry spots to stand out, expecially after one wash. I half want to return it as I have sooo many washes that I already have and this one is really drying... all the other reviewers weren't kidding. I don't know what I was expecting honestly, but I really don't know why this is the #1 acne cleanser? If you have really oily skin I'm sure that this would work, but for me with combination sensitive skin and spots of surface dryness it was horrible. The odor is not that nice either. I gave it 2 stars because I do believe it would work at controlling acne if it didn't dry me out so much. It even really dried out my hands. I'm going to return this one and just stick with my Clearasil wash that works.

on 11/21/2013 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay so this product does probably kill off the pimples but it dries your skin like crazy definitely doesn't work as a daily face wash, because drying out your skin so much may cause to take off the essential oils in tour skin thus your skin will try to compensate and secrete more oil, so more pimples, if you're using this currently PLEASE apply Moisturizer afterwards

on 11/18/2013 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

i've used this as my shower face wash for the past few years and it has never caused me any trouble. i can definitely see it being a bit harsh on sensitive or even combination skin, and definitely harmful for dry skin. i have oily skin, so this works fairly well controlling that, but doesn't necessarily do any tremendous work healing breakouts. i would caution anyone who suspects their skin to be anything less than oil-prone to try something different before using this. it works well if you have acne issues on areas other than your face where the skin is a bit less sensitive like your back or neck, but this generally just serves as an oil-controller for me. thinking about switching to something different soon, as this doesn't actually cause much improvement for my skin.

on 11/16/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I broke down and bought a stronger face cleanser. The only reason I chose Neutrogena is because I had used their acne body wash for pimples on my back and it always seemed to dry them out and get rid of everything nicely, quickly. I have been having more hormonal breakouts lately, not bad acne, but pimples where I never used to on my neck and cheeks.

I found this face wash to be more effective than my Vichy Spot Treatment for drying out pimples. This product is very drying though, so I only use it when I really want quick effective treatment, and even then I use it only on the areas of my face with breakout. The first few times I used it I developed some dry skin at the lower sides of my mouth so I just stopped using it all over my face.

Over all I will purchase again for the quick effectiveness: if I wash pimples with this before bed by the morning they are significantly reduced. I also make sure I moisturize and use some more holistic remedies when my skin is calmer, this is used only at the times I need some strong help.

Use in moderation is the best bet. I am also trying to balance things inside my body so that the breakouts reduce. Stress played a large role in the hormonal breakouts, so the face wash is just a treatment for the physical manifestation of imbalances going on at a deeper level.

on 11/7/2013 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Worst acne face wash created. So drying and harsh. Will never buy or recommend.