Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 4/13/2014 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have very mixed feelings about this foundation. I have very fair skin so I am usually the lightest foundation shade, but the shade Light is far too pink. I hate when fair makeup is a salmon pink shade instead of just being a nice, natural, beige fair color. I have oily skin so I got the matte formula, but my face still gets very greasy with this makeup on. I get shiny, the makeup melts away, and I have to blot and reapply often (like several times a day). Yet when I reapply, the makeup has a dry, powdery finish that clings to pores. It doesn't cover redness around my nose and I still need concealer. It wears off very quickly and pretty much completely disappears even if I haven't been doing anything that should cause my makeup to rub off.

What I do like about this is the ease of application. I love buffing the powder on with a kabuki brush because it is so fast and easy, so it's a nice change from blending in liquid foundation every day. It feels very light and looks nice the first time I apply it in the morning despite not covering as well as I'd like, but it looks like a mess within a couple of hours. Also, the black matte lid on the packaging gets powdery fingerprints stuck to it with every use and powder gets all over my table despite being careful to swirl and tap it in the lid.

Overall, I don't hate it and if I could find a fair enough color that isn't pink I would probably repurchase this just to have something very quick and convenient to put on in a rush. However, since the color isn't great for me and it doesn't wear well I don't plan on repurchasing. I recommend Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua for a very light, invisible feeling foundation that lasts.

on 4/11/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have tried a million different foundations in the past but have been faithful to BareMinerals matte foundation for a couple years now. I have incredibly oily skin with red patches, big pores and some adult acne. I initially was hesitant to try BareMinerals because I didn't think it would give me enough coverage. It actually gives me plenty of coverage. I use this along with the Mineral Veil and it looks awesome. My only gripe is I wish I could find it in a bigger container because I can go through one of these in about a month and a half. Other than that I would definitely recommend this! It is a little pricey but totally worth every penny. I live in Florida and when I wear most liquid foundations I feel like towards the end of the day the make up is sliding all over my face. With the BareMinerals I do just one touch up mid day (I like TheBalm Sexy Mama anti-shine translucent powder) & the BareMinerals matte keeps me looking fab.

on 4/11/2014 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

for u girls who are saying that this product breaks u out: it might not be this product that breaks your skin out IF this product is not the only product/makeup u are applying on your skin.
It takes time for our skin to get used to something that is completly new and unfamiliar to our skin. And if u are using more than one product, each one consisting 10 (some even 20-30) different ingredients, then u can't be 100% that it's from one(++) of the ingredients that is to be found in this powder.
a good tip could be : use for example this product, AND THIS PRODUCT ONLY (no primers, moisturizers ect.), for about 3-4 months, and then see after a few months how your skin reacts to this product...if it's still breaking u out, then there is something in this powder your skin does not stand...

and something else important if u have acne-prone skin and using a brush: wash your brush every single day so u are sure that brushes are not the ones causing your skin to break out

on 4/8/2014 8:18:00 PM

I was disappointed with this product!
On the Sephora website the reviews are almost all 5 stars. But this left my skin very oily mid-day so i don't really understand where the "matte" part comes in?
I do think the coverage is very natural though, so if you have normal skin this would be an amazing powder!

DO NOT BUY THIS if your skin is sensitive/acne prone and gets kind of oily.
This foundation may irritate the crap out of your skin if you get allergic to the bismuth.
It made my skin 10 times more oily. If your skin can handle the bismuth, I would say you're really lucky because this may be the best mineral foundation if it wasn't for the bismuth..

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have pretty oily skin and some funky undertones, and this stuff made me look chalky by the end of the day, almost like I was wearing a mask! I think it was the SPF in it - titanium dioxide seems to do that to my skin.

I did enjoy that I could build the coverage though. Some days I went lighter, some days heavier. I never had an issue with application, that was pretty easy. However, I definitely needed to put on a primer first or the makeup would slide right off.

I'd probably buy again if I couldn't find anything better.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This product somehow did the adverse effect on my skin my making it oiler as suppose to being more matte, or subduing the amount I produce. I have to constantly blot my face. I feel like the powder collects the oil, as oppose to absorbing it.
It is light but i still feel like I'm wearing make up.
My tarte 12 hour blush doesn't seem to last as long whenever I wear this.
It's an average product and not worth the price point. I recommend Laura Mercier's mineral powder. It's more expansive but cheaper per gram (you get more with LM).

on 3/24/2014 12:05:00 AM

I love this!!! Check out my FLik. I always rebuy. It is buildable, I can use over liquid or alone. So good on my skin! http://flikapp.com/flik/INZVbgW

This is by far the most deceiving makeup product and makeup brand I have ever come across. Whatever they use in the commercials is NOT what is sold in stores. It was literally like rubbing dirt into my face. I would give Bare Minerals a 0 rating if I could. They market it as supposedly 'good' for your skin, however I found it broke me out, I normally have fairly clear skin, so this was alarming. No matter how much primer and lotion I put on my face ahead of time, this foundation looked like weird chalk had been smeared on my face, clearly not a good look. Don't fall for the Bare Minerals gimmick, there are SO many other, high quality foundations in the world.

on 3/20/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The matte finish mineral foundation is my go-to and has been for years. I've got very sensitive acne-prone skin that is usually more oily than dry, and I prefer to be as un-shiny as I can be. This foundation is perfect for that. No matter what other liquids, BB creams or powder foundations I dabble in, I always come crawling back to this one after the ferocious breakouts occur to let my skin recover. Buildable coverage, does not clog pores (nor does it contain the bismuth oxychloride that can cause itching with the original loose foundation).
The packaging is better since they have the twist-lock for the foundation - I loose much less powder this way, and so it lasts me 5-6 months.
Make sure when you wear this powder that you use moisturizer AND primer. From where it's a matte-finish dry formula, it can look dry on the skin unless you've properly prepped your skin. This stuff also makes a really good setting/finishing powder for liquids if you like a matte-finish look but don't feel like building up the coverage of the powder on its own.

My main beef is that Bareminerals doesn't offer as wide of a variety of shades as they could. I find myself consistently between Fairly Light and Medium Beige, or between Medium Beige and Medium Tan during the summer and so I have to mix them together in the lid, which is time consuming and annoying (and hence the exploration of other foundation brands that inevitably leads to breakout nightmares).

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products