April 20, 2014 | 1287 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2008 8:58:00 PM More reviews by dragonflygirl7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've tried Bare Minerals (made my skin itch, break out and look like the tin man), Everyday minerals (slid right off by noon), Mineral Essence (no coverage), Pure Luxe (chalky and dry), LA minerals, and Sephora pressed (very nice, but a bit dry), and now this. I went to my local salon and had the esthetician match me (satin) and show me how to apply. After moisturizing, you pat the brush into the minerals in the lid, and lay them on in short gentle strokes, no intense buffing! Then, spritz with the moisture spray, let dry, and repeat. My skin looks amazing, and better as the minerals warm up to the skin, slightly glowy and healthy...no breakouts, itching, or metallic sheen. The more you buff, however, the more glow you get. I might switch to the pressed base in the summer because it's better for mattness, but for winter and the accompanying dullness and dryness...this beats 'em all hands down. The secret is in the application! And get a sample or have someone match you....BTW, they've removed the bismuth oxychloride, which is a potential skin irritant.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2008 9:30:00 AM More reviews by svea4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like jane iredale products - but they are so expensive!
I have tried this powder twice and I really like it.. I like how easy it to apply makeup with a powder like this. and it looks so natural after 15 min. or so.. especially if you spray on some setting tonic. and it lasts for many hours - more than normal liquid foundations.. even in the gym it stays on. the only thing I don't like are the colors, they some too orange or red for me abd also the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2008 2:09:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaKral

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I should have stuck with my laura mercier.. this thing may last me a month. I like a good coverage and the aesthetician said this product was good i bought it in warm silk good color match. however, not good coverage I have to actually dip the brush INTO the minerals like twice to get good full coverage. So i wear it on work days where i dont care about coverage cause i wear scrubs and Im in the medical field.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2008 6:47:00 AM More reviews by Japanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*EDIT*
I tried this product yet again cos I ran out of everything else! Surprisingly it worked really well for me! It works well if I make sure my moisturiser is absorbed (no brainer!) & if I use my Flawless Face brush in light sweeping strokes, rather than buffing with my Kabuki.
I still don't think it'd be good for acne / scarred skin (doesn't give enough coverage).
I won't buy it again because of the price, but will be happy to keep using it till I run out.
-----------------------------
I wish there was a HELL NO for 'Would you buy this product again?' ; )
I paid so much for it here in Australia and I feel ripped off. It does something funky to my complexion - it doesn't really look like I'm wearing any makeup, but somehow makes the texture of my skin seem worse.
I first bought this when I had mega acne and it did NOTHING to even take the edge off the appearance of my bad skin. I gave it another go recently since my skin's cleared up now and it still did nothing for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2008 10:09:00 AM More reviews by stellarvenus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I adore Jane Iredale Amazing base. I've tried a ton of other mineral foundations and nothing goes on so smooth and fine textured as this. The minerals are very finely ground and never leave you chalky looking. Nor do they feel gritty on the skin as I found some that have.
I find that most often I am the Bisque (a pale neutral) but in the dead of winter I switch to Ivory (the palest of pales). I also love that it is four in one product, it's foundation, concealer, powder and an extra bit of sunscreen.
I've been using it for several years now and will continue to do so as long as it's still made. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2008 11:20:00 PM More reviews by hellomynameis

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne-prone skin with a lot of red acne scarring. I am around NC 25-30 (asian), and I use Warm Sienna. Amazing Base gives me that "JLo" glow, which actually lasts ALL DAY (~8 hours), but I do use a milk of magnolia and Amazing Matte Loose Powder to keep away any nasty oiliness. I do not even touch-up! And keep in mind that the foundation actually look better throughout the day, as your natural oils settle in the powder. The only con: as a concealer, it doesn't cover up my acne scars as well as I would like it to, but I am still trying to experiment with it.

But overall, this is a great product...IF USED CORRECTLY!
Here are my tips from experience:

Make sure to moisturize every night and morning when using this product. The powder will accentuate any dry patches of skin (I learned this the hard way!) And before applying the foundation, let the moisturizer dry completely.

Apply in several very thin layers. The results are so much more natural.

Use the Jane Iredale Chisel Brush. And if you are acne-prone like me, wash and condition it after every use! I just use Dove unscented bar soap and Shiseido hair conditioner.

If you have oily skin, use milk of magnolia and the Amazing Matte (as mentioned above)!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 1:34:00 PM More reviews by lirial

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For a light, everyday coverage, I do like this foundation. I use it in light beige and apply with a BE flawless face brush or BE full coverage kabuki.

I like that this does not contain Bismuth Oxychloride, which seems to be linked to acne. The sunscreens are physical titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, lending this an SPF of 20.

I don't find that this cakes after application, though I don't find it very good at controlling excess oil. I need to reapply a tiny bit in my T-zone after about four hours.

I wouldn't choose this as a full-coverage foundation, but instead for light coverage with a bit of added SPF. I prefer it over the BE Bare Minerals due to a more natural shade and smoother, less cakey application on my skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2008 3:22:00 AM More reviews by lil_me

.37 oz for $42.
What was I thinking???!!! And, I had the NERVE to buy 2 (Warm Silk & Warm Sienna).

The ingredients are as follows:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Bismuth Oxychloride (ah, the culprit! I just hate this stuff!)
Mica
Iron Oxides
Managenese Violet
Boron Nitride
SPF20
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overall, this is very similar to BE. I hated BE. The colors left me with ugly shades of pink and orange. It is chalky, cakey, shimmery and worst of all, it made my pores look huge. It did nothing in terms of oil control. Can you tell I hate this??

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:50:00 PM More reviews by claudecat

I tried this because a dermatologist told me it was "the only" makeup she thought would work for my skin. I'm having big skin issues right now, so any makeup that is trying to win me over has its work cut out for it, and so far Jane Iredale hasn't done it. I think I would have liked this makeup better when I was younger--it's light and the very-slightly-pearly finish is pretty, but now it doesn't provide enough coverage, looks dry, and comes off too easily. Plus, I'm not convinced it's as gentle as advertised--my skin feels a bit tight and irritated when I'm wearing this stuff, and I notice it has a few non-natural ingredients like boron nitride (they've removed the bismuth, though). For the price, it doesn't seem worth it--there are a lot of other mineral makeups out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by jaya_1981

I love this product! It makes my skin glow and Suntan is the perfect shade for me. It has a nice shimmer through it- not glitter tho, so it gives you a nice glow. Its so easy to apply and I find I don't have to buff it like other mineral foundations.