Baking Soda

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 3/31/2013 2:54:00 PM

I use baking soda as a dry shampoo and it works better than any spray product that I have purchased at absorbing oil. It's also much less expensive.

I put the baking soda in a jar, and apply it with a fluffy powder brush to various areas of my scalp. I try to apply it at night to avoid a white cast the next day, but I usually don't have a white cast if I rub well. Voila, gets rid of the oil.
Also adds volume to my hair.

on 3/28/2013 2:26:00 PM

You can never go wrong with this product.

on 3/22/2013 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Baking soda is very high in pH, in order words, it is a very alkaline substance. Other than its intended purpose for baking, it is good to clean your fruits & vegetables; I just mix some in a bowl of water & soak the grapes in it for 10 minutes or so, rinse well & eat.
For those who claim it works great for your skin, great. But if you are skeptical, just try a patch test.
Just because it is edible does not mean it will not do harm to your skin, don't forget, our stomach is very acidic, it will immediately neutralize the alkalinity of the baking soda.
This does not work for my skin.

on 3/22/2013 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've heard a lot about using baking soda masks to help with acne. I've had mild/moderate acne for a while...it's definitely been a lot better lately breakout wise, but I have pretty bad scarring left over from a terrible breakout I got from the st ives face scrube (which unfortunately just wasn't for me). I tried this mask a couple months ago, when my acne was at it's worst, and saw no improvement. It made my skin itch and feel uncomfortable. It also made it slightly dry and very red. So no, I would not use this mask again. It was just too much for my skin. I definitely think this could be a great thing for a lot of people out there though, so don't let this review stop you because nothing too terrible happened to my skin from using this (no breakouts or anything, my skin didn't fall off). But for people with more sensitive skin like mine, I prefer the aspirin mask to this.

on 3/2/2013 5:46:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I've been using baking soda as a body scrub and loving it. It leaves my skin clean and smooth at the same time. I started using this when i was getting skin allergies and did not want to use my normal body scrub. I figured this is "natural" and would not cause a reaction.

I heard about using baking soda as a scrub from NYCgeorgette (Youtube). She has super sensitive skin and her beautician recommended this as a face scrub.

I too has been loving how my skin feels after using this. Plus this is a two in one, i did not have to use body wash before using this as a scrub. Saves time and feels really nice. Alternatively you can add this to your regular shower gel for a lighter scrub. Highly recommended! This is my HG scrub.

on 2/24/2013 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Baking soda is a great multi-purpose item. I use it to powder my feet for odor control.

I use about 2 teaspoons and make a very thin slurry with water to exfoliate my face. I had a bad bought of sensitive skin with breakouts from a bad reaction to two cheaper foundations I tried. I was in desperate need of exfoliation, so I did a search for home recipes. Baking soda did the trick! I just made sure it was very thin so it wouldn't be to harsh or scratchy on my face. So glad I found an inexpensive alternative to get rid of the dry flaky skin.

I also use baking soda to wash my hair. Sometimes, when regular shampoos are too harsh, or my scalp is reacting badly to a product over a period of time, I will use baking soda on my scalp to balance it out again. I work small amounts in to my scalp and massage. I then rinse it out and use a spray bottle with organic apple cider vinegar to neutralize the baking soda. I then rinse my hair thoroughly with water. The vinegar smell dissipates.

I also plan to try the teeth whitening trick with peroxide when I get the chance.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I used this as an exfoliant and I found it was way too harsh for my baby-like sensitive skin. It exfoliated but also iritated. My skin was red and it burned. I will keep using this for other household uses and I will be trying this with peroxide for teeth whitening. I will update then.

on 2/10/2013 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very useful household product. Deoderizes fridge and freezer for pennies. Pour some down a clogged sink drain, a little vinegar and boiling water, and often the clog breaks up. Nice for scrubbing the tub (well on our old pre-war tub anyway). Can be used in any number of diy cleaners, google to find ratios.

For skin? Not mine; I have a compromised natural moisture barrier and could never use anything so abrasive on it. I don't think ph wise that its helpful for skin either. I know many disagree but this is my opinion and experience. Always have some on hand, can help put out a small fire even (call for help if necessary of course!), but not a skin care product in any way. I will repurchase, hate when frozen yogurt tastes/smells like frozen fish;(

I tried this for exfoliation, with warm water and my regular cleanser. My experience was favorable with the exfoliation, but after my face was red and irritated. Having combo acne-prone skin, baking soda dried my face in some areas. So I'll skip this for my face.

What are really miss are the Japanese Scrubbing grains, from the Body Shop. That was an awesome product! It scrubbed and then turned kind of buttery and soothing.

on 2/10/2013 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My skin looked the best it has in YEARS,i even thought it was time to buy a tinted moisturizer because my old acne scars had lightened so much..i decided to try baking soda as a scrub because of all the fab reviews,how could i go wrong?.. the next day i broke out ALL over,it was like my skin was punishing me!! Now im back to looking crazy..geesh..i guess its my fault for trying new things..

Popular Other Products