July 31, 2014 | 1084 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by pearlyriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Baking soda - the multi-purpose magic tool for many personal care issues. There's nothing else I can add to this board except that those with sensitive skin should be careful about using baking soda. Mix it with your favorite cleanser until the paste feels soft in your fingers - I repeat - until it just feels slightly grainy. No matter how amazing baking soda is, it's still an abrasive agent. If it can remove the plague on your teeth, it also can make your skin weaker and more sensitive. After that, enjoy your home spa time with baking soda.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Very useful household product. Deoderizes fridge and freezer for pennies. Pour some down a clogged sink drain, a little vinegar and boiling water, and often the clog breaks up. Nice for scrubbing the tub (well on our old pre-war tub anyway). Can be used in any number of diy cleaners, google to find ratios.

For skin? Not mine; I have a compromised natural moisture barrier and could never use anything so abrasive on it. I don't think ph wise that its helpful for skin either. I know many disagree but this is my opinion and experience. Always have some on hand, can help put out a small fire even (call for help if necessary of course!), but not a skin care product in any way. I will repurchase, hate when frozen yogurt tastes/smells like frozen fish;(

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by PavotDeLiberte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried this for exfoliation, with warm water and my regular cleanser. My experience was favorable with the exfoliation, but after my face was red and irritated. Having combo acne-prone skin, baking soda dried my face in some areas. So I'll skip this for my face.

What are really miss are the Japanese Scrubbing grains, from the Body Shop. That was an awesome product! It scrubbed and then turned kind of buttery and soothing.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by missmecca

My skin looked the best it has in YEARS,i even thought it was time to buy a tinted moisturizer because my old acne scars had lightened so much..i decided to try baking soda as a scrub because of all the fab reviews,how could i go wrong?.. the next day i broke out ALL over,it was like my skin was punishing me!! Now im back to looking crazy..geesh..i guess its my fault for trying new things..

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by aniko01

If you have sensitive skin stay as far from it as you can. It dried out my skin sooooo bad that it took me month to redone the damage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I am a product and ingredient snob to the nth degree. This doesn't mean I slather my whole body with La Mer- I have a cynical and objective eye. I'd use bacon grease on my body if it worked. I am frugal, but know when to spend when it counts. That being said...
Baking soda makes the BEST fine-grained, thoroughly cleansing and rejuvenating facial scrub EVER.
I mix enough baking soda with half and half (could use milk, but I have better results with half and half) to make a thin paste, then gently cleanse my face with it, and rinse off. I will never use store bought facial scrubs again. I use this formula twice a week. Just try it.
P.S.- the lactic acid in the 1/2 & 1/2 has its own amazing benefits. Google it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this for a cleanser and it was gentle. You do need to be careful of how much you put on. I use about 2 tbls of baking soda with 1 tbls of warm water. Use it like you would any other cleanser, but go easy. Its very gentle. I think it did a pretty good job and its better than spending all of that money on a bunch of chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 4:41:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

I was using Baking Soda to brush my teeth once in a while but in my country we use it for many many things around the house. For my teeth and mouth- it cleans my teeth very well (don't over do it!) and my mouth smells bad after brushing my teeth with BS but I have no problem with this- it means that the BS clean everything in my mouth. After brushing, I leave my mouth alone for an hour or so and then I use Listerine mouthwash (my favourite mouthwash).
Now I am using it also for other things:
I tried it on my skin- as many others said- if you over do it, your skin will turn red, dry, irritated and may look dull. I used BS as a scrub on my face for 3 times and I didn't pay attention to the results. Now as it is winter and my skin is dry anyway, eventhough I have blackheads and I would need some help with some dry skin being exfoliated, I wouldn't use it now, but I will use it as soon as my skin will get oilier (in the spring summer).
I used it on my hair- I wet my hair, I put BS on my scalp, I massage my scalp and hair, I shampoo, rinse very well and put Vinegar and rinse again. If I use just the BS, my hair will be dry and frizzy, if I put Vinegar it will be soft, shiny, bouncy and my scalp doesn't itch for few days. I use BS on my scalp and hair just once a month. My hair stil stinks after I wash the Vinegar from my hair and when it is dried. Even when I sweat, it stinks...but I like how my hair looks like after the Vinegar and I am happy that the BS cleans my scalp and hair.

And of course, I put BS in a bowl in the fridge.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Zryan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best thing I have ever added to my skin care regime! I tend to get acne around my jaw and cheeks due to the pores there being smaller and more prone to clogging. I use this as an everyday exfoliator and cleanser. I have never seen my skin so clear I want to thank whoever invented this stuff! I just pour some bicarb into my hand and add enough water to make a paste and then rub gently around my face and neck and then rinse with cold water to close pores. Works great as a toothpaste as well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by funnyblossom

I donīt think any household should be without this.. the uses are multiple: put a bowl with soda in your refrigerator/cupboard and it will absord odors (just leave it there doing its thing), mix a teaspoon with your liquid/cream cleanser and it scrubs your skin better than any other scrub (not as abrasive..), sprinkle on a toothbrush and it scrubs soft stains off your teeth (donīt overdo it because it can damage the enamel)... If you have a handbag that needs freshening up, sprinkle a generous amoung of baking soda inside it and leave for a few days.. it will absorb moisture and odors (the same applies to suitcases). Sort of a grandma-knows-best kind of product!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No