October 25, 2014 | 1839 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by MakeupFanNow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Baking soda is a great multi-purpose item. I use it to powder my feet for odor control.

I use about 2 teaspoons and make a very thin slurry with water to exfoliate my face. I had a bad bought of sensitive skin with breakouts from a bad reaction to two cheaper foundations I tried. I was in desperate need of exfoliation, so I did a search for home recipes. Baking soda did the trick! I just made sure it was very thin so it wouldn't be to harsh or scratchy on my face. So glad I found an inexpensive alternative to get rid of the dry flaky skin.

I also use baking soda to wash my hair. Sometimes, when regular shampoos are too harsh, or my scalp is reacting badly to a product over a period of time, I will use baking soda on my scalp to balance it out again. I work small amounts in to my scalp and massage. I then rinse it out and use a spray bottle with organic apple cider vinegar to neutralize the baking soda. I then rinse my hair thoroughly with water. The vinegar smell dissipates.

I also plan to try the teeth whitening trick with peroxide when I get the chance.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by FrogPrincess1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this as an exfoliant and I found it was way too harsh for my baby-like sensitive skin. It exfoliated but also iritated. My skin was red and it burned. I will keep using this for other household uses and I will be trying this with peroxide for teeth whitening. I will update then.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by pearlyriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Baking soda - the multi-purpose magic tool for many personal care issues. There's nothing else I can add to this board except that those with sensitive skin should be careful about using baking soda. Mix it with your favorite cleanser until the paste feels soft in your fingers - I repeat - until it just feels slightly grainy. No matter how amazing baking soda is, it's still an abrasive agent. If it can remove the plague on your teeth, it also can make your skin weaker and more sensitive. After that, enjoy your home spa time with baking soda.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

Very useful household product. Deoderizes fridge and freezer for pennies. Pour some down a clogged sink drain, a little vinegar and boiling water, and often the clog breaks up. Nice for scrubbing the tub (well on our old pre-war tub anyway). Can be used in any number of diy cleaners, google to find ratios.

For skin? Not mine; I have a compromised natural moisture barrier and could never use anything so abrasive on it. I don't think ph wise that its helpful for skin either. I know many disagree but this is my opinion and experience. Always have some on hand, can help put out a small fire even (call for help if necessary of course!), but not a skin care product in any way. I will repurchase, hate when frozen yogurt tastes/smells like frozen fish;(

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by PavotDeLiberte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried this for exfoliation, with warm water and my regular cleanser. My experience was favorable with the exfoliation, but after my face was red and irritated. Having combo acne-prone skin, baking soda dried my face in some areas. So I'll skip this for my face.

What are really miss are the Japanese Scrubbing grains, from the Body Shop. That was an awesome product! It scrubbed and then turned kind of buttery and soothing.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by missmecca

My skin looked the best it has in YEARS,i even thought it was time to buy a tinted moisturizer because my old acne scars had lightened so much..i decided to try baking soda as a scrub because of all the fab reviews,how could i go wrong?.. the next day i broke out ALL over,it was like my skin was punishing me!! Now im back to looking crazy..geesh..i guess its my fault for trying new things..

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by aniko01

If you have sensitive skin stay as far from it as you can. It dried out my skin sooooo bad that it took me month to redone the damage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I am a product and ingredient snob to the nth degree. This doesn't mean I slather my whole body with La Mer- I have a cynical and objective eye. I'd use bacon grease on my body if it worked. I am frugal, but know when to spend when it counts. That being said...
Baking soda makes the BEST fine-grained, thoroughly cleansing and rejuvenating facial scrub EVER.
I mix enough baking soda with half and half (could use milk, but I have better results with half and half) to make a thin paste, then gently cleanse my face with it, and rinse off. I will never use store bought facial scrubs again. I use this formula twice a week. Just try it.
P.S.- the lactic acid in the 1/2 & 1/2 has its own amazing benefits. Google it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this for a cleanser and it was gentle. You do need to be careful of how much you put on. I use about 2 tbls of baking soda with 1 tbls of warm water. Use it like you would any other cleanser, but go easy. Its very gentle. I think it did a pretty good job and its better than spending all of that money on a bunch of chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 4:41:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

I was using Baking Soda to brush my teeth once in a while but in my country we use it for many many things around the house. For my teeth and mouth- it cleans my teeth very well (don't over do it!) and my mouth smells bad after brushing my teeth with BS but I have no problem with this- it means that the BS clean everything in my mouth. After brushing, I leave my mouth alone for an hour or so and then I use Listerine mouthwash (my favourite mouthwash).
Now I am using it also for other things:
I tried it on my skin- as many others said- if you over do it, your skin will turn red, dry, irritated and may look dull. I used BS as a scrub on my face for 3 times and I didn't pay attention to the results. Now as it is winter and my skin is dry anyway, eventhough I have blackheads and I would need some help with some dry skin being exfoliated, I wouldn't use it now, but I will use it as soon as my skin will get oilier (in the spring summer).
I used it on my hair- I wet my hair, I put BS on my scalp, I massage my scalp and hair, I shampoo, rinse very well and put Vinegar and rinse again. If I use just the BS, my hair will be dry and frizzy, if I put Vinegar it will be soft, shiny, bouncy and my scalp doesn't itch for few days. I use BS on my scalp and hair just once a month. My hair stil stinks after I wash the Vinegar from my hair and when it is dried. Even when I sweat, it stinks...but I like how my hair looks like after the Vinegar and I am happy that the BS cleans my scalp and hair.

And of course, I put BS in a bowl in the fridge.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No