Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 8/15/2009 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'd like to buy a bottle of this the bath oil and ONLY put 1 or 2 drops in the bath on a cold day. Only then, I imagine I might appreciate this stings-the-nostrils-1950's perfume
**Update Nov.2012** I really like this now. I wear the bath oil. Although my mother said that it smells like "band-aids", I don't care I like it..

on 8/6/2009 2:59:00 PM

Youth Dew.........Or as I like to call it, Youth Pew. This stuff really does reek to high Hell. Seriously, this smells like something's decaying! Why it's called "Youth Dew" is something I cannot fathom...........NO ONE smells youthful when they wear this! My mother has tried it, my sister has tried it, and even I wore it and we ALL stank like the corpses from the Living Dead! Now, I really don't get "old lady" with this; what I get is a death like stench! See my other review on Knowing and you'll "know" just what I mean! This smells moldy, old, musty, like something left rotting! MOTHBALLS come close. Maybe even rotting meat. I've never smelled this "Dew" stuff on anyone and thought it smelled great. And most "old ladies" that I knew were wearing Chanel #5 and they smelled great(and looked great!) compared to some of the other stinkies we have out there!

on 8/5/2009 6:45:00 PM

Although I am an older lady this fragrance is way too strong for me. I am active on some perfume forums and Youth Dew is rated quite highly by most of the members but I find it totally unwearable. It is so strong it gives me a headache. If you do like the scent, you certainly get your money's worth because a couple of squirts will last for at least a day.

on 8/1/2009 11:16:00 PM

All of you Youth-Dew HATERS (I KNOW you‘re out there), please READ THIS! Okay, many of you would consider me an “old lady” but I’m not the “old lady” type at all. I actually feel that the older you get, you need to put a little more effort into your appearance and you can still be quite attractive. That is why I joined MUA in the first place! The ratings given by all of you helpful members have been invaluable to me in choosing my beauty products.

So, about Youth-Dew…

I have been one of the “HATERS” of this fragrance for many, many years. I sniffed it right out of the bottle and all I could think was “Ew-w-w! This is awful! How can they even sell such a thing?“ Gosh, with the dark color, it even LOOKS intimidating!

But one fateful day, I was at the store and there was a Youth-Dew tester available. So the thought came to me “If this product has been on the market for so many years, there has to be SOMETHING good about it. Why don’t I just try it for once?” So I GENEROUSLY sprayed my self and went about my business of the day--grocery shopping, banking, trip to the post office, etc.

To my complete and utter shock, several people commented on how wonderful I smelled! I think my mouth must have dropped! The funny thing was, after the fragrance dried, I hardly noticed it and became very comfortable wearing it. After I went home, I decided I would buy a bottle of this darned stuff and wear it every day for a while just to see what happens. For the next week, I was getting compliments left and right on this fragrance from men and women of all ages!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fragrances and have been wearing many different ones over the years, but could never find the RIGHT ONE. I got some compliments here and there, but nothing like with the Youth-Dew. Just yesterday, a woman stopped me in a convenience store because she had to find out what fragrance I was wearing. When I told her it was Youth-Dew, she looked surprised and said that she had that fragrance at one time but it never smelled the same on her as it smelled on me.

So I am really convinced that it is a matter of body chemistry and that fragrances change according to who wears them. I decided to write this review to give others the inspiration to actually try Youth-Dew. Some of you may find that it is really entirely different from anything you could have imagined.

Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought Youth-Dew would have become my HG fragrance but now I wish they made more Youth-Dew scented products, such as shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and even deodorant! It is THAT GOOD on me and I have purchased it again, and again, and AGAIN! My HG fragrance for sure!

on 7/31/2009 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This perfume has an ironic name, because it really does have that "old lady" smell. Not anything in the ingredients, just because it is so popular among older women that the association is there when you smell this one. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so strong, but I can't imagine wearing this.

on 7/12/2009 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Dark and brooding like an approaching thunderstorm, this one was way ahead of its time insomuch as it's SO Goth! I wear it infrequently since it urges me to kick off my high heels, head for my chains, leathers, dog collars, black lipstick, dark cloak, and Doc Martins, grab the candles, and glide blackly out the door to attend a seance or a mysterious gothic rite. Old dolls like me shouldn't even be thinking of such things! So smack me upside the haid and call me granny, but it's gloomy, moody, and a perfect scent for Morticia of the Addams Family or Cruella DeVille. Which, in retrospect, isn't particularly a bad thing.

on 6/9/2009 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

HG!! First started wearing the Parfum that came with my Christmas set of minis. On me this is sweet but needs to be used sparingly. Too much and it smells like strong baby powder.

reeks like a$$. scrubber after trying on in ulta, yikes!!!

on 4/7/2009 1:08:00 AM

My mom uses this perfume and I decided to try it.
It smelled awful and I had to get in the shower right away to take it off.
Not for me.

on 3/8/2009 4:03:00 PM

Like many of the other reviewers, I didn't care for amber fragrances when I was younger--I didn't like Opium either. (Estee Lauder reportedly dismissed Opium as "Youth Dew with tassels" when it was introduced.)

I wanted to find a warm, Oriental fragrance that I liked and my DH could tolerate (he's not much of a perfume guy) and this was the one. It won out over the similar (to me) Cinnibar, because Cinnibar dries down to that fakey cinnamon spice candle smell.

One spray lasts all day, and I do enjoy the scent, but because of the perfume's popularity, I'm afraid that I'm walking around reminding people of their great-aunts.

Popular Fragrances