November 28, 2014 | 1190 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2009 12:02:00 AM More reviews by pandasforeva123

Great mascara, I love the brush, it's very interesting. It holds a curl well and makes my lashes long with clumping, sadly it smudges by the end of the day and the price is quite expensive, but I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by elleokay

I recieved a deluxe size sample of Exceptionnel de Chanel from Allure to review for them. I tried it for a few days and I absolutely hated it (it was the brush!)... but somehow I didn't chuck the tube (damn hoarding tendencies!). Well, I decided to give it another chance, thinking I was the problem, not the mascara. Second chances can be redeeming, since I found that this is actually a nice mascara! The brush is definitely interesting, with four combs and four rows of brush hairs in between the combs. I looked at the Chanel website and found their application techniques for the mascara, and found that the directions really help! The formula itself is very very smooth (no random clumps!), but slightly heavy (makes a low curl on its own). It is definitely a volumizing mascara, giving the look of full lashes, but even though the formula is smooth, lashes tend to clump together over time. Because the brush is really different, there may be some missed lashes in application, which is kind of awkward. I would say that it's a dramatic mascara, good for night use. I'm glad I gave this a second chance, because while I don't hate it now, I know that I'm not truly missing out on anything.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2009 3:56:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This gave me a natural-looking fan of lashes. I'm a fan of the brush, which curled my lashed nicely once I got the hang of it and didn't leave behind any clumps. It doesn't give incredibly dramatic results, and is quite overpriced in my opinion. I'll stick to my Maybelline Full and Soft.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2009 1:38:00 AM More reviews by RealDealBeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The brush is a little unusual, and makes lashes very dramatic. The formula is smooth w/ few clumps on the lashes themselves (and not irritating to 'normal' eyes in contacts). HOWEVER, it can make your eyelashes clump together themselves for kind of a spider/spike look. I think this would look best with a dramatic evening look, but personally, I'm sure I could find better and won't purchase this again. Certianly not the worst but without a doubt - nothing to get too excited about.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2009 4:52:00 PM More reviews by reinventingMe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found the wand to be difficult to use. Also, I had a difficult time with clumps on my lashes. The results did give me long lashes but I get better results with Lancome or Revelon mascara. I received 2 sample tubes, so I am glad I did not spend the mmoney on this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2009 3:03:00 AM More reviews by ani925

at first i was very excited about this product. there's a "rolling" motion to curl your eyelashes with the wand. i find that there's too much effort that needs to be put in to achieve the volume. i use this product underneath my lancome oscillation, just to give it a little lift. i think drugstore mascaras can prob do a better job and way cheaper.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2009 3:28:00 PM More reviews by strawberry_blush

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't understand some of the raving reviews on this product? The brush is so big and clunky and just very tricky to use without getting clumps...

Took me MANY attempts to achieve a passable look, ie. separated lashes that look longer and more full... I would have given up even trying had I not run out of my usual lancome mascara...

HIGHLY suggest you get a tester before buying, even the sales assistant quietly told me how badly it functions as a mascara... enough said!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 7:29:00 AM More reviews by bubblysteph

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

First of all, I must state that this is the very first h/e mascara I have ever used. I usually use l/e mascaras and primers and the reason I am switching is because I am so sick of using 2 mascaras in conjunction for the money, time and effort that I need.

Back to the mascara, I think this provides pretty natural results, which a friend of mine thought those are my naturally long lashes. LOL. Can I say that this is "my lashes, but better" in this case? FYI, my natural lashes are quite typical Asian ones though probably a tad longer and less stiff than the majority. This volumized, lengthened and darkened my lashes without forming stupid clumps. Lashes aren't really thickened. I guess this can be attributed to the special brush head? With a few more coats on, the results can be more dramatic though this is not quite I am looking for most of the time.

As for holding the curl, I would say that this is not the best though not very bad. I always curl my lashes prior to applying mascara. The curl probably was held for a few hours before it got "straighten" again. I guess it would be better with primer? This is the major gripe that I have other than the price. My minor gripe is that this mascara gives a matte black finish instead of the glossy black finish.

Since this is not a waterproof mascara, it is surprising to find that it won't smudge on me unless I rub my eyes. Oh well, you shouldn't be rubbing your eyes with m/u, right? :P I read reviews stating that this is hard to be removed, but I can't agree on this as I find this quite easy to remove when compared to other mascaras that I tried before. The ones that I had a hard time to get this removed are from Shiseido's Majolica Majorca. Normally I use my Sofina cleansing oil to remove my m/u but sometimes being a lazybone, I use the Philosophy Purity cleanser and all m/u on face, including mascara, is removed completely.

I am not sure if I will repurchase this mascara even if price is not taken into account. If price is taken into account, I am pretty sure I will move on to try sth else. Afterall, this is not a bad mascara, but not *that* impressive. On the search for the perfect mascara that won't smudge yet easy to remove, which will hold the curl, volumize and lengthen with primer again.

I would have given this mascara 3 if my friend didn't complement my lashes being naturally long. However, I think this is just a 3.5 from me.

-edited on 7 May 2009-
I find the YSL Faux Cils is better than this on volumizing, lengthening and holding the curl too. The YSL mascara is likely to become my HG mascara! :D

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2009 8:56:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Thankfully I got a couple sample tubes of these through the Allure Experts panel .. had I actually shelled out the $30+ on this, I would have promptly lugged it back to the counter for a prompt refund. I've tried various high end mascaras here and there in an effort to find something that delivers luscious lashes the way L'Oreal Voluminous does for me (which for the record, still remains my HG!), so I was uber excited when this landed in my mail box for a little test drive. Well .. this was a complete and utter *crash and burn*! The brush for starters .. is a nightmare. It has the plastic type bristles that have been all the rave lately which is what made me want to love it, but that's where the positive stops and the nightmare begins. The formula is a clumpy goopey nightmare that doesn't give me the stunning long and thick lashes I covet .. it gives me the 80s Tammy Faye Baker craptastic lashes that we all aim to avoid. I have yet to try a high end mascara that can even give an iota of competition to my beloved L'oreal Voluminous .. which is good, since that means all that extra money can be banked for other cosmetic goodies!! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2009 11:41:00 AM More reviews by SanjediMasta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I didn't like this mascar at first because it was weird to use but now that i'm used too it I don't mind it at all.
You have to rotate the wand as you apply the mascara so that the lashes get brushed and combed with each sweep. Lashes really stand out after this, they look fuller, longer and more defined. Although, I do have mascaras which are much better than this for a similar price.