July 30, 2014 | 2066 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sonia Kashuk - Highlighting Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2010 2:23:00 PM More reviews by makelemonade

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have not tried it for stippling liquid foundation yet, but for it's stated purpose of applying highlighter, it works well. I use this w/Laura Mercier's mosaics and I like it for that. It applies blush on sheerly so it would be good for highly pigmented blushes. Tried it w/loose mineral foundation and that was a fail.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 7:34:00 PM More reviews by b3l0vEd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Let me begin by saying that I have the MAC 187, the studio tools duo fiber brush, the coastal scents duo fiber brush, and this brush. And out of all the brushes, I actually love this one the most. Since I started using mmu, I only use duo fiber brushes for very pigmented blushes, and this brush IMO works the best. It's fibers are the perfect density and stiffness that it makes applying my blushes soooo easy! The diameter of the brush head is the same size as the MAC 187, bigger than the studio tools brush, and a little tiny bit smaller than the coastal scents brush. The MAC 187 IMO is too dense, the studio tools one too stiff, and the coastal scents one not dense or stiff enough. The brush fibers are super soft, and it doesn't prick me at all. This is a great buy, I paid $14 for mine at target, and Ive washed it at least 10 times already and it's still in perfect condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Tahnee123

I was of course like everyone else trying to find a dupe to the MAC 187 brush, now let me tell you I have never used a 187 but this Highlighting brush from Sonia Kashuk is amazing! I was so happy when I found it at Target. It was the very last one so that goes to show how popular it is! It is The cheapest brush I could find with the absolute best reviews. It does shed a tiny little bit, maybe like one or two hairs per every couple applications(and I use it for liquid foundation). Now there have been a lot of questions regarding this brush and using it for liquid foundation... It works amazing as long as you use it the RIGHT way! you do NOT paint the foundation on you face you stipple and swirl this is how you get the best "Airbrushed look" If you need guidance you should check out Enkore's Youtube video on how to do it. Once I get enough requests to do so I can show you how to do it specifically using the S.K. brush. Just let me know! I will definately be buying this brush again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2010 8:34:00 PM More reviews by oohwow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have wanted to get a "skunk" brush for awhile now, and I was not ready to fork over $38 for an expensive brand name brush at Sephora/Ulta. So my sister bought me this less expensive brush ($12) - I love it, except for the fact that it sheds like crazy!! And I know it comes with the territory of buying a cheaper brush. Slightly disappointed that I can't use it as a foundation brush as I would have liked, but overall I would say the brush works its magic. It makes blending a lot easier, and distributes the products in flawlessly. It would be MUCH better if it didn't shed so much though...hoping to buy one again if mine doesn't lose all its hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 8:45:00 AM More reviews by MichieKrum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this brush to apply blush sometimes when I have contoured my face. It applies well to the apple of my cheeks. On the rare occasion that I wear liquid foundation I use this brush to stipple the foundation on and blend it in. It does give me an airbrush finish. It's a good brush for the price. It works really well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by LearaLovesMakeup

Okay, so like many other people, I didn't want to buy that expensive MAC 187, so I bought this. Ive had this brush for a few weeks and have washed it almost after everytime I use it, which is almost everyday. I have only small amount of shedding, but never has it shed on my face, only right after I wash it or when right when I'm done with it. It gives me a very great flawless foundation look, but I do have one complaint.
And that is, I originally used Cliniques clarifying foundation, which is oil free and very dry, but after I switched to a much creamer foundation, it never dried on my brush. and now I HAVE to wash it after every use because the foundation on the bristles are still wet. but other than that I love this brush, and honestly if something happened to it I would buy another one right away. I really really love this brush, and its definitely a brush I couldn't live without. So glad I bought it, and hopefully it will be in great condition in years to come. I suggest buying this brush if you want a nice finish to your foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by keco52

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It took me so long to get this brush. I was so excited when I found it that I bought too. I LOVVVVED it the first couple of uses but after that it shed like crazy. :(

I still use it for blush but can't use it for foundation which is why I purchased in the first place.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2010 11:17:00 AM More reviews by anshu7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have both Mac 187 and Sonia Kashuk Highlighting brush and I have used them both for atleast a year and washed them plenty of times before posting the review. Here's an in-depth comparison of both:

Brush density: identical
If I wrap some thing around the brushes to hide their handles, I cant tell which brush is which. They are absolutely same.

Softness: identical

Packaging:
Sonia Kashuk comes in a nice thick plastic cover and Mac 187 comes in a sleeve.

No shedding, no dye leaking or splaying in both the brushes.

Price:
Sonia Kashuk: 12.99 @ Target
Mac 187 : 42 @ Mac (duh!)

Cons:
Sonia Kashuk: None that I have found so far.
Mac 187: The lettering fades off! I applied a coat of clear nail polish over the lettering and somehow water got into that too and the lettering faded off. For 42$ I would expect Mac 187 to be safe for rough and tough use and not worry about these tiny things. So if I am paying 42$ for a brush, its a big pet peeve. Sonia Kashuk's lettering has not budged, and thats without the nail polish coat!

How to use this brush:
For foundation:
Tap the head of the brush (the white tips) into the fdtn and tap it all over ur face. Then swipe and swirl in circular motions till the foundation is completely blended in (doesnt take more than a minute).

For blush:
Again, tap it into the blush and then tap on ur skin and sweep it across ur cheek bones. I have noticed that buffing in circular motions builds the intensity of the blush.
If u r using a cream blush, it may be a good idea to tap the brush on the hand after tapping the brush in the cream blush so that it gets excess product off.
If u still find u have applied too much blush (cream or powder both) u can always buff it in with a kabuki.
The key for using this brush for blush is to use it in light feathery strokes and not press it onto the skin.

I personally find the brush head too big for blush so if at all I use it for blush, I make sure that it barely touches my skin and circular motions are very small (does that make sense?).

All in all, I love this brush and will be sure to have it in my stash at all times. Even my mom, who is a foundation newbie loves this brush. It uses less foundation than u would use when applying in any other way and gives the most natural finish.

Why are u still here reading this review? GET IT ALREADY!!

P.S If u have trouble finding this brush, MUA'er snickersforsnuggles has a map of Target locations where the brush has been found in her notepad.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by ThatIsNOTHerShade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this skunk brush! It's soft and airy, perfect for applying a wash of super-pigmented blush, shimmery bronzer, etc. :)

I've had mine through many washings, and it's still in great shape.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by gobearson3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm so glad Target has made this a more readily available brush. :) I reach for this brush whenever I want a soft wash of color or a lighter application of powder. I prefer a soft application of color and this does a good job of NOT caking it on. I haven't used it for any liquids, but I love it for blushes, highlighters, or setting my face with my MAC natural msf. I think the hairs are a bit too soft and flexible to apply a liquid without streaking...and anyway, I use the SK flat top blusher for liquids.

I have a few of these brushes now, and still didn't spend as much as one MAC skunk brush would cost. I've had these for at least 6 months and I haven't had any shedding. I recommend everyone to give this brush a shot before opening your wallet for the pricier MAC version.