L'Occitane 100% Pure Shea Butter

Shea Butter

on 5/18/2009 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

It took me 6 months to finally buy this jar. It was so expensive and I am not a "butter" girl. I like creams. After my 5th time of "sampling" it, I finally decided on the smaller version. Once you start to use it, you get addicted to it. It quickly absorbs into your skin, and seals in any other moisture. The softness you achieve is unbelievable over a week. I have always had dry skin, and havent really care. LOCcitane prducts have changed that. I use the shower oil, then one of their lotions (all are great), then use the shea butter. This keeps my legs so well moisturized, I can skip a day, meaning if I take a shower the next day and dont have time to lotion, my skin is still soft! After a few weeks of use that is. Anyway, also like that If I use it on my chest or shoulders, it wont break me out. This will stay a staple product. Key is to use a little bit, let it liquify in your hands, then rub. Great on cuticles, hands, feet before bedtime, legs, knees, and all those other rough spots. My husband has called my skin baby soft from this.

UPDATE 11/24/2010 - I still am on the original jar that I purchased when I originally wrote this review. It is just now going empty. I have found a new use fo rit - I use it in my hair before putting it in a hair bun and it smooths my hair down, gives it shine, and it moisturizes it with a deep treatment through the day. Then I wash out at home. Sometimes I repeat. When I go to blow dry, my hair is extra hydrated because I have been conditioning. I still like that this is refined, I have tried other natural shea butters which are also nice, but I like the thick consistency of this. I will continue to repurchase - although probably off of eBay to save a few bucks. :)

on 5/13/2009 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I like lotions/creams containing shea butter in general, but this product is not very appealing to me. Its consistency is very hard, which I find annoying. I have to pick some with my fingernail, which isn't very hygienic. As a lip balm it's very moisturising though. I've also tried using it on my cuticles, but I get much better results with natural oils. On a positive note, it doesn't irritate my skin at all. I'm still a believer in natural alternitives, and would definitely want to try another shea butter product in the future.

on 5/11/2009 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have the smaller tin and keep it in my medicine cabinet. I use it on my lips, cuticles, and hands (I have a terrible time with dry hands). I love this stuff! It is very thick, but super moisturizing and luxurious. It feels a bit greasy at first, but skin feels amazing after. It really works! Great on lips, too. I also like the cute little tin, small enough to toss in my purse or a makeup bag.

on 2/19/2009 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I keep a small tin in my makeup case & another on my desk at home at all times. I use it on my lips & cuticles. It's my favorite product from L'Occitane. It moisturizes really well. It's too pricey for me to use all over my body so I make it last longer by using it just on my lips & cuticles. A wonderful product.

on 1/16/2009 1:25:00 PM

This product is so wonderful!!! After being sick for a week my skin became super dry and flaky and nothing helped it. I finally decided to try pure shea as a night treatment. I took a little bit and warmed it down in my hands then applied it all over my face. It was greasy at first but felt soothing and in the morning my skin was like butter. I have been using it ever since and my skin looks amazing. I had a huge zit and put a little shea on it and in the morning it was almost gone. I love this stuff!!!!!

on 1/11/2009 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used it as a lip balm and as a treatment for dry spots, like elbows and heels. It's very thick and hard to apply. The smell is kind of odd. Anyway, it didn't work as good as I expected - didn't moisturize the skin and worked just as bad as a lip balm. I tried rubbing it between the hands; it makes application a little easier, but the results are still poor. Disappointing.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This shea butter is thick and waxy and completely odorless. (I am comparing it to some of the "raw" unprocessed stuff they sell at flea markets, which is yellow and oily.) If I didn't know it was 100% shea, I would think it was a very thick lip balm. I just buy the tiny $8 tins (1/4 oz) even though it's a rip-off, because there's no way I could use the much larger $40 tin before it went rancid. I use it for cracked fingertips, chapped hands, and a tiny dab as a lipstick base to make color cling longer. This is the ultimate occlusive barrier for skin-- great for extreme weather conditions-- but way too thick to use on large body areas IMO.

**EDIT: took off 2 lippies when I discovered that NOW Foods offers a 100% shea butter, 7 ounces for $9, that is every bit as good as L'Occitane's at a fraction of the cost. NOW's version is also not processed with hexane. I'm never looking back!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use these most days after the shower and love it. It is especially great after a few days of really cold temperatures. The scent is not heavy like most body creams I have tried. It is expensive but the tub seems to last forever and it is so much better than anything else I have tried.

on 12/7/2008 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A great pure Shea Butter for really dry skin like heels and elbows. It's the real deal.

on 11/3/2008 12:11:00 PM

I received a sample of this and tried it on my dry skin, applying it to my temple area (where I have dermatitis) and also on the tops of my cheeks--which are just plain dry. (I also have areas of rosacea but avoided these areas). I used just a little bit and left it on overnight: It went on greasy (not a good feeling) and didn't help either area--still flaky/dry skin showing--yet still greasy from the shea the next morning! Even simple jojoba oil does a better job with flakies than this does for me.