July 31, 2014 | 986 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Denamarief

Awesome mascara! I've tried every mascara from lauder and this is by far my fav.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Paigey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I also received this as a GWP. It's one big goopy gross mess. Honestly, this might be the worst mascara I've ever worked with. Fail.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by SoWhatWhoCares

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a mini tube of this in a GWP, and I hate it.

It makes my lashes spikey and spidery and they stick together, plus it dries so fast I can't comb it out before it gets hard. I've noticed that when I do use a metal lash comb after applying this, that it rips some lashes out by the root!!

The only upside is that it is, indeed, smudge free.

I'm throwing this away, and I almost never, ever throw out a fresh mascara. This is not even worth keeping in the bottom of my gym back just in case.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2011 3:13:00 AM More reviews by ellejs3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this GWP and I didn't really rate it because it flakes. It didn't volumize at all but it did lengthen a little. I though it made my lashes look spidery too so I won't be purchasing as it was unimpressive for the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 9:05:00 PM More reviews by weiwolf

This is one of the best mascaras I have ever tried on! It definitely lasts for a long time, doesn't smudge even when I cry (which I only did once, while wearing it, haha), and volumizes and lengthens my eyelashes in a few easy swipes. Brushing it on feels extremely easy and smooth, and there are hardly ever any flakes in my eyelashes. Love it! Might not recommend because of the price though... it's pretty darn expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2011 8:04:00 PM More reviews by moella

I got this mascara as a sample and its safe to say its the best one I have ever used! My eyelashes are extremely tiny and thin and this actually makes it look as though i have long lashes. This definitely beats all those hyped up L'Oreal mascaras. The wand is made to define and lift your lashes to their maximum extent. The only reason I gave it a 4 stars instead of 5 is because it does clog up, however, I would still buy it since its the only mascara that works on my non-existent eyelashes!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Meatball90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this mascara is AAAWESOME. instant volume and length. and lasts all day (and night). 3 coats of this equals like 10 coats of a drugstore brand. finally a mascara that delivers!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I thought this was really good when I first bought it, but after a couple of uses the brush began to really clog up with product and it was pretty much a disaster to apply even when loads was wiped off (and wasted) on a tissue beforehand. Extremely annoying and will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 5:04:00 AM More reviews by sadiemonster

I purchased a sample of this online recently, and when I first tried it, I LOVED it. For some weeks previously I had been using Maybelline Great Lash (an impulse buy in a moment of desperation) which is universally recognised as The Most Appalling Goo Known to Man. Subsequently, the Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara seemed magical by comparison. A rich glossy black, it went on smoothly, lengthened and curled the lashes, and felt dry to the touch (not gooey and moist). It didn't appear to smudge throughout the day, and made my eyes look bright and wide open. I even started wearing mascara on my lower lashes again, which I gave up a few years ago due to chronic smudgery (it's a word! Okay, it's not a word).

Unfortunately by the next day I realised it was hurting my eyes quite a lot. I persisted anyway, in the hope that the stinging sensation would resolve itself, or that I would get used to it. Then my 7 year old niece looked at my face and said "wow, you're eyes are really red". I realised that my eyes do look red, bloodshot and teary, and that is NOT A GOOD LOOK. Shortly after application, I experience a stinging, then a burning sensation, and throughout the day I feel like I have sand in my eyes. Ouch.

Finally by the second and third day of use I had to concede that the mascara isn't even as easy to apply as it first appeared, and that it FLAKES. The consistency is gloopy and the brush seems to bring out an awful lot of product (this could easily be fixed with a smaller opening on the tube, Estee Lauder!) I tried scraping the extra goo off on the edge of the tube, but that got messy fast, and it wouldn't go back into the tube anyway. The only way I can apply this effectively is to wipe a generous amount of product off the brush with a tissue before applying. This works very well - in fact, I find it very easy to apply after removing the excess - but you're wasting 2/3 of the product. The flaking wasn't immediately apparent, but I soon realised I had tiny black flecks under my eyes at the end of each day. Not pretty.

In the US, this stuff costs US$21, but to purchase a full-sized Double Wear Mascara from the Estee Lauder website in Australia costs $48.00 + $10.00 shipping, a total of AUD$58.00 or USD$61.26 (as of June 24 2011), which is obscene. This probably isn't the place to rant about the outrageous discrepancy in cosmetic prices between the US, UK and Australia (IS there a place to rant? Some sort of city square? Because I'm willing to go there and testify), but $50 is too much money for a product that you're expected to dispose of after 3 months anyway. Even if I find my HG mascara among the top end brands, I'm likely to return to drugstore favourites like Maybelline Full N' Soft anyway, that do a pretty decent job for a fraction of the price. Not Great Lash, though. I'm not THAT desperate.

EDIT: After abandoning this mascara for a couple of weeks and then retrying, I didn't have trouble with stinging and watery eyes. I think it must have been me, not the product. I'm still deducting a star for the flakiness and the gloopy wand that needs to be wiped before application (note: I'm using a sample size, so the full size may be better designed), but otherwise this stuff is pretty good and I'm bumping it up to 4 stars.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 7:22:00 PM More reviews by electropop3545

LOVE this! No smudging(I never used to wear mascara because nothing works, the tube ones make my lashes too stiff), great brush, lengthens, volumizes and separates my asian lashes like theres no tomorrow.Holds a curl. only like $23 but cheaper at duty free shops(I like to stock up). If you're unsure whether to spend 20 bucks on this, go to the EL counter and ask em for a sample,they got lots ;) Finally after years of short lashes, I can flaunt em.