MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

4.2

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 7/20/2012 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This paint pot saved the lives of MANY of my eyeshadows. I have uber pigmented lids and have found that even colored primers like UDPP Eden and UDPP Sin did not mute my natural lid discoloration in order for me to achieve a "true to pot" color from an eyeshadow. I do not have oily lids, so I am able to use this paint pot as a primer and it absolutely fits the bill. Eyeshadows stay put longer, appear more vibrant and overall the experience is much better by having this paint pot. I chose this one over Bare Study because Bare Study had a bit of shimmer to it, which was not what I was looking for. All in all, I wear this every day -- either by itself with a bit of Ricepaper (my HG everyday wash shadow) or under an eyeshadow. My only mild complaint is that you have to "warm up" this one a bit prior to application otherwise it can be a bit draggy and hard to blend. Once it is warmed up, it applies flawlessly and makes me look so awake. Love, love, love.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For reference, I am NC20-25 half-asian. I tried painterly initially but that was obviously too pink toned for my warm skin. Soft ochre is a much better color match but I find the formulation of this color much drier than the other paint pots that I have /had (which include groundwork, rubenesque, and I had painterly). I'm not sure whether I just got a bad pot or whether it is the formula. I'm being overcoming the dryness by using a damped beautyblender to put this on and that works well. Its just annoying that I have to go the extra mile to make this work.

on 6/13/2012 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I finally got my hands on this after years of debating. I prefer a shimmery base such as Paint Pots in Bare Study or Vintage Selection but figured I'd like it anyway. Ok firstly, the color is a matte very light yellow, when I first opened this up I immediately thought this is the exact same as Mac Studio Sculpt concealer in NC20. I dug out both and compared them side by side and the Soft Ochre is more yellow and the NC concealer is already yellow toned, it just looks more neutral compared to the paint pot. I have used this as a base all over the lid all the way up to my brows and it works great for a shadow to stick to, I'd actually say more than a shimmery base. I would probably repurchase and I might use this as a concealer when I'm more fair in the winter.

on 6/13/2012 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Soft Orhre is my favourite eyeshadow base of all time and I use it every day. It matches my NC 25/30 Asian skintone and definitely prepare a good foundation for my eye makeup. My eyeshadows' pigments are nicely shown on my eyelid when I use this paintpot and drawing eyeliner becomes much easier! I can keep my eye makeup for 8 hours and I can definitely tell a difference if I don't use it. And I just have to use so LITTLE every time - I have been using the same jar for 2 years and the jar is still halfway filled. And I got it for $15 Euro 2 years ago - good value for money.

Texture: 5/5 creamy, light and gives a matte finish
Function: 5/5 control oil of eyelids, make eyeshadows stay longer
Application: 5/5 use fnigers to apply a little every time
Packaging: 4.5/5 the jar is a bit easy to break, but nothing annoying
Price: 5/5 good value for money and can be used for a long time
Overall: 4.9/5

on 4/26/2012 10:42:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am on my third paint pot in this color. This is a must have, why?
The coverage is great for the eyelids, it does not crease at all and my eyeshadow (Mac and lancôme) last all day. My pencil eyeliner (lancome) also lasts all day long. I even tested it with a $1.99 avon turquoise eyeliner and the color was true and lasted all day. Also, the color you see in the pan is the color that will go on your eyes, no fading or wilting when you apply the paint pot first.

Application: I use my finger and sweep it across my eye lid. When putting on eye shadow I press it in, I do not sweep but press it in then blend.

Don't let the boring color fool you, yes it's a dull color but it works, it works phenomenally

An ultimate must have!!!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the paint pots, though I wish they had more colors. Currently I use Painterly and Bare Study, then add my color in the liner or crease as these are both pretty neutral. The paint pots are miles better than Bobbi Brown because they are so easy to get out of the much bigger, wider pot. Even a SA at BB told me not to expect their cream shadows to last more than half a jar as they dry up. But soft ochre is such a boring color. I have neutral skin, a little warm, and it does nothing to bring out my green eyes. It is just the color of flesh or my foundation. Try the other colors before you go for this one.

on 3/5/2012 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This made my eyes sad. I bought it on a whim (or because the MAC artist swindled me) and wish I stuck with UDPP. While my eyelids can tend to be oily, this was a pain to put on evenly and easily. It's pretty dry and difficult to spread. I used to use Bare Study which went on much nicer, but that has been too shimmery lately. I don't mind the price as I would have used this everyday...but I won't. :"( Time to go return!

on 2/23/2012 12:52:00 AM

I use this paint pot every time I I just want to look a bit more alive. I just spread it all over my eyelid with my finger and a little bit of eyeliner and that's my all i need for the day. It's pretty creamy and nice to wear alone or as a base for regular shadows. Definitely try it out!

on 2/6/2012 9:49:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I like this product! It evens out the skin tone on my lids and on the brow bone. Perfect colour for my skin tone (MAC NC15/20). It makes my eye shadow last longer.

The only negative thing I can say is that it is a little bit dry, so I have to store it in my bathroom, where the temperature is warmer than in the bedroom (where I keep all my other makeup).

on 2/5/2012 5:49:00 PM

I've used UDPP, Smashbox's eye primer, and Benefit's Stay Don't Stray. This is hands down the best eye primer out of them all. It creates a clean canvas for my eyeshadows and doesn't crease.

I'm definitely buying another one when I run out.