December 18, 2014 | 862 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by punkrockzoie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was reading a book on skin (I'm hugely interested in skin, I hope to become a dermatologist one day) and I came across the topic of Hydroxy Acids. To put it simply, they're just good for your skin, and I figured I could incorporate it into my daily skin routine. I was glad to find a reasonably priced walgreens version. At the time, I didn't realize that my teenage skin didn't really need an Alpha Hydroxy Acid. (AHA's are for mature, sun damaged, thickened skin while BHA's are for oily, acne-prone skin). So I stopped. I still have the jar, and there's quite a bit left. I tried getting my mom to use it but she complained about stinging. It's true, it'll sting, but like any chemical you put on your face, but need to start off slowly to let the skin adjust. If you're going to try this AHA, I suggest applying it at night once every three days and work your way up every other day, or possibly daily.
I suggest using it at night for a few reasons. One, if your skin does get a little pink and irritated at first, it'll be gone by morning. Two, it's an almost silky, thin cream, and it'll make your skin look quite oily. That's the price of buying a generic, less expensive cream I suppose.
Well, do your research on Hydroxy Acids and if you find you may benefit from an AHA, this is definitely a great one to try.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hate the tub, I was reluctant to try this on my face because everything breaks me out! I decided to jump in, and I'm so glad I did. I have not had a single spot since starting this about three weeks ago, so I didn't experience the purging some wrote about. I apply it morning and night on my face, neck, arms, legs, and feet (it's so cheap, why not). I felt no sting at all, and I got past the smell pretty quickly. I apply just about a pea-size to my face because I really don't think I need much, using a mu spatula. I have noticed flakies on my arms and legs, but not on my face. UPDATE: had to stop using this on my face; started breaking out.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2010 6:33:00 PM More reviews by kalisaen

I've been applying this stuff at night (A very small amount) for the past few months and it's made my skin so soft it's ridiculous. I never got that stinging sensation but I did feel itchy the first few days, but it went away as time went on. I had some purging but it quickly went away with some Persagel. I didn't notice too much of a difference with acne scars, but it did make my lighter scars go away very quickly. I hate the jar packaging and it doesn't smell pleasant but I'd definitely purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I know people LOVE LOVE LOVE this, but I'm not one of them!!!! Based on the great reviews, I tried it, stuck it out through the purging... which never stopped!!! As soon as I switched to the Alpha Hydrox oil-free product, it started improving!!! Worth a try for the price, but very happy that experimenrt is over!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Chelles93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this stuff. Six bucks for a genuine anti-aging (albeit mild anti-aging) product.

I use it all over my body because it's so cheap. Wish it were thinner, though. Keeps my whole body soft. I've been using it forever and I've always gotten compliments on how soft my skin is, especially by menfolk.

I use Retin A on my face, which helps with new acne, but I have a ton of old red scars that the Retin A never helped. This stuff seems to fade them. (I alternate nightly with the Retin A and frequently in the daytime.)

Edit: I've been adding a drop of MUAC 60% glycolic to it - a small dab will cover my entire face with a thin layer. I use it this way once a week or so, in between monthly glycolic peels to maintain.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by shipinabottle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

here's a tip: every night i put a small amount of this in my hands with two drops of jojoba oil to prevent the stinging sensation

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by juicy69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for one week now. It did not sting and did not break me out. My skin is softer. I brought this in hopes of clearing my blemishs and renewing my skin. I haven't noticed any of that yet and this has not had a bad affect on my face. Will update periodically.
Update 4/2//10
Still using the cream but not everynight, I forget. Still haven't noticed a brighter complexion. I did notice that when I pop a pimple, I know I'm not suppose to, it helps it to heal much quicker than any other product I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 10:37:00 AM More reviews by sulfababy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is awesome. Been using it for at least a month (if not two?) now. M2 Skin Refinish did not agree with my skin *at all*, so I was hesitant to try any other AHA. I'm glad I got this glycolic acid product. It makes my skin so smooth and really helps with my mostly hormonal acne. It also softens the backs of my hands and treats the keratosis pilaris on my upper arms. As others have mentioned, it does sting a little if you use it liberally. But it doesn't visibly irritate. No redness or anything. The packaging is not fantastic, but if you wash your hands before dipping your finger in the tub it will be alright. I haven't noticed it fading my red marks yet, but that's a slow process and I'd continue using this product even if it never faded marks. And it's almost cheap-as-free.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by hurricanenika

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just purchased this last night. I don't have a problem with legit acne, but more along the lines of blackheads and very uneven skin tone, with a lot of lightened acne scars, maybe on or two pimples every now and then. It's generally well-behaved unless provoked. Well, that's fine, but I don't like having red cheeks and chin, and there aren't tinted moisturizers or powders as fair as I am (think Wite-Out), only liquid foundations, and in order for them to cover anything, they have to be majorly thick- a definite no go for me. Basically, I just wanted a naturally pretty face- but don't we all? :-) I'd done some reading on this, and there's a Walgreen's within walking distance from my house, so I went and got it for $5.99.

I'm on day 2 of using this product. I've begun the purging process, but it's nothing terrible or disgusting. So far, I count four tiny, little whiteheads, definitely manageable. I'm hoping this will make a difference in nine days, when I have to go on a school trip to NYC (!!) and share a room with three other classmates. My skin is a lot softer though, and this isn't drying me out at all, which is completely unheard of, usually ANYTHING that's supposed to promote clear skin makes me peel like a snake...

Upon application, I don't feel any stinging, just a slight itch that lasts for maybe five minutes. Sort of like lemon juice. The smell isn't awful... sort of like sour glue... but it goes away.

*Day 4: I think I'm done purging already, and what did come out is drying up already. Great! :) My skin tone is a lot more even, though still a little pink closer to my nose and on my chin.

*Day 6: I'm definitely done purging. My scars have lightened immensely and my pores are tighter than they've ever been. Today, when I took off my makeup, I could hardly tell the difference between my natural skin and my made-up skin, which is really, really awesome!!!!

*Day 8: This stuff is awesome! Most of my scars are gone for good, and I haven't had a new pimple for six days, which is unheard of for me. I can't imagine being without this now! Before using this, I had to cover my face every day, and today, I was able to leave the house with no makeup on, a feat I thought I'd never conquer! I can actually see my real skin tone now, instead of blotchy red everywhere- and it's a lot fairer than I originally thought! I've upped the rating to a 5. :-)

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2010 11:15:00 PM More reviews by twofishes13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For the first few weeks I thought this was my miracle product. My acne was actually clearing up and my skin was a more uniform color. Mind you, my skin was nowhere near perfect but it was the best it had been in a long, long time. Then Bam! - all of the cystic acne on my chin and the left side of my face (for some reason I only get it in those 2 areas) flared up at once. My skin has never been so bad. Ever. In fact, 2 months later I am still recovering from it. I still have all of the red and purple marks as well as a few active spots. I'm not 100% certain that this product caused this, but there is a very good chance it did. For some reason this does not aggravate my body acne much so I am using up the jar and switching to the Alpha Hydrox line.