September 21, 2014 | 1293 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by shipinabottle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

here's a tip: every night i put a small amount of this in my hands with two drops of jojoba oil to prevent the stinging sensation

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by juicy69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for one week now. It did not sting and did not break me out. My skin is softer. I brought this in hopes of clearing my blemishs and renewing my skin. I haven't noticed any of that yet and this has not had a bad affect on my face. Will update periodically.
Update 4/2//10
Still using the cream but not everynight, I forget. Still haven't noticed a brighter complexion. I did notice that when I pop a pimple, I know I'm not suppose to, it helps it to heal much quicker than any other product I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 10:37:00 AM More reviews by sulfababy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is awesome. Been using it for at least a month (if not two?) now. M2 Skin Refinish did not agree with my skin *at all*, so I was hesitant to try any other AHA. I'm glad I got this glycolic acid product. It makes my skin so smooth and really helps with my mostly hormonal acne. It also softens the backs of my hands and treats the keratosis pilaris on my upper arms. As others have mentioned, it does sting a little if you use it liberally. But it doesn't visibly irritate. No redness or anything. The packaging is not fantastic, but if you wash your hands before dipping your finger in the tub it will be alright. I haven't noticed it fading my red marks yet, but that's a slow process and I'd continue using this product even if it never faded marks. And it's almost cheap-as-free.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by hurricanenika

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just purchased this last night. I don't have a problem with legit acne, but more along the lines of blackheads and very uneven skin tone, with a lot of lightened acne scars, maybe on or two pimples every now and then. It's generally well-behaved unless provoked. Well, that's fine, but I don't like having red cheeks and chin, and there aren't tinted moisturizers or powders as fair as I am (think Wite-Out), only liquid foundations, and in order for them to cover anything, they have to be majorly thick- a definite no go for me. Basically, I just wanted a naturally pretty face- but don't we all? :-) I'd done some reading on this, and there's a Walgreen's within walking distance from my house, so I went and got it for $5.99.

I'm on day 2 of using this product. I've begun the purging process, but it's nothing terrible or disgusting. So far, I count four tiny, little whiteheads, definitely manageable. I'm hoping this will make a difference in nine days, when I have to go on a school trip to NYC (!!) and share a room with three other classmates. My skin is a lot softer though, and this isn't drying me out at all, which is completely unheard of, usually ANYTHING that's supposed to promote clear skin makes me peel like a snake...

Upon application, I don't feel any stinging, just a slight itch that lasts for maybe five minutes. Sort of like lemon juice. The smell isn't awful... sort of like sour glue... but it goes away.

*Day 4: I think I'm done purging already, and what did come out is drying up already. Great! :) My skin tone is a lot more even, though still a little pink closer to my nose and on my chin.

*Day 6: I'm definitely done purging. My scars have lightened immensely and my pores are tighter than they've ever been. Today, when I took off my makeup, I could hardly tell the difference between my natural skin and my made-up skin, which is really, really awesome!!!!

*Day 8: This stuff is awesome! Most of my scars are gone for good, and I haven't had a new pimple for six days, which is unheard of for me. I can't imagine being without this now! Before using this, I had to cover my face every day, and today, I was able to leave the house with no makeup on, a feat I thought I'd never conquer! I can actually see my real skin tone now, instead of blotchy red everywhere- and it's a lot fairer than I originally thought! I've upped the rating to a 5. :-)

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2010 11:15:00 PM More reviews by twofishes13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For the first few weeks I thought this was my miracle product. My acne was actually clearing up and my skin was a more uniform color. Mind you, my skin was nowhere near perfect but it was the best it had been in a long, long time. Then Bam! - all of the cystic acne on my chin and the left side of my face (for some reason I only get it in those 2 areas) flared up at once. My skin has never been so bad. Ever. In fact, 2 months later I am still recovering from it. I still have all of the red and purple marks as well as a few active spots. I'm not 100% certain that this product caused this, but there is a very good chance it did. For some reason this does not aggravate my body acne much so I am using up the jar and switching to the Alpha Hydrox line.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by AirportHilton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is not a bad product by any means. It didn't cause a breakout or any burning or anything like that. I just think that for my skin, Alpha Hydrox Soufle is just more effective for my skin. The Walgreen's version did seem to make my skin smoother, but I think the Alpha Hydrox was more effective with lightening brown spots and breaking down the dirt in my pores. I'll keep this on hand for when i run out of the other one or am on a no buy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by macismycrack627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for about two months. I wanted to use it for a while to write a fair review.

I have to say that I am really pleased with this product. I have dry skin, and have tried tons of thick, supposidly ''moisturizing'' night moisturizers, only to be dissapointed. The first couple of nights I used this product, my skin did not feel hydrated enough. After about a week, though - I started noticing improvements. The texture of my skin was better, I had less break-outs, my blackheads seemed to lessen. I wouldn't exactly call this a miracle product, because I still have blackheads and breakouts - but it does a good job with keeping the rest of my skin looking good.

I use this nightly and have barely made a dent in the jar in the past two months, I would still guess I have about 80% left. A little goes a long way, and you're not supposed to use a lot anyway, or it will have reverse effects.

I did not have any purging with this product initially, which was nice. It also controls the flakiness of my skin. It's totally gone! I pretty much love this stuff, and will continue to use it - and will definitely buy again when I run out!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by kooda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried everything under the sun it seems, I have been to the dermatologist so many times, and nothing seemed to work for my skin. I would try something new and it would work only for a few weeks and then my skin would just start to break out all over again. I read the reviews on this product and I decided to try this last thing before I go back to the dermatologist. It has been about a week and a half and so far so good, my pores have shrunk and my skin is sooooo smooth, it is definitely something new for my skin, my breakouts have slowed down, i still am breaking out, but the pimples are different that before, and they go away in about 1-2 days. it is drying, so i only use it during the night, and i use a daytime lightweight moisturizer. i will update in a couple of weeks. . hopefully i won't have to go back to the dermatologist.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2010 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Louzee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was so afraid that Walgreens was going to discontinue this because I didn't see this product on their shelves for several months. Turns out they were working on a new packaging, well, not so new, they just changed the look, it's still in the same jar container as before. Which by the way is my only gripe. It's very unsanitary and many of you agree with me. It's a thick cream with a slighly....ammonia-ish smell? It's hard to describe, but it's a distinct smell that most facial creams I own don't have. It takes some getting used to and I suggest to get a wiff of something very sweet like a strong perfume before applying it so it doesn't irritate your nose. I used this on my face when I was breaking up really bad. It helped in eliminating my active pimples, but after prolonged use it started to burn my skin and leave a shiny, but not oily, look on my face. I stopped using it and got prescribed Retin-A and this sat on a shelf for several months. After I ran out of Am-Lactin for my Keratosis Pilaris, I remembered owning this and started using it on my legs and arms and OH WOWWEEEE did it work. I even used it on my rough elbows and knees. It sloughed off the dead layers in a cellular level and my legs and arms never looked so good. You can touch and look at my skin and tell that it is neither dry nor flaky. It definitely helped in restoring the moisture and I found that my skin absorbed my body lotions a lot better than before. This cream is really afforadble, I bought mine for $5.99 and I definitely recommend this product to anyone suffering from mild acne and rough patches on your legs and arms.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by original

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

it's been about 5 years since my last MUA review....so yea that says alot already. lol I just had to write about this highly favored product that i've heard so much at MUA.
i finally went to my local walgreens (only two left) and tried this out.

ok, little off topic: i confess i used several different 5 year old skin product samples (yea, crazy i know but i didnt want to trash them nor swap them to a poor soul) in my stash along with a new claudie vinoperfect? for dry skin about 2 weeks or so prior to using this. my skin looked ok but no huge improvement. However, after one week i used Walgreens a-OH (and still did did my crazy ancient skin samples + claudie), my skin just suddenly felt better. honestly, my skin was so soft, i couldnt stop touching it!!! it looked better too. my light brown spots (though not so obvious from afar but can be seen really up close) were so much less obvious in close view. my naso-labial wrinkles are still apparent, no obvious change yet (hope this to change). also i feel my skin got lighter.

ok, so you may say: "hey it's the claudie + the old skin samples that did the change your face or could be the action of all of these working together." oh but wait! i also put some of the a-OH on my posterior hands. and if my memory serves me right, i only used the a-OH on my hands (not my expensive claudie or skin samples). my hands did look lighter, diminished age spots and softer in texture. they look like a baby's (lol, slight exaggeration there) but you get the point. so yes, i attribute all of this to walgreens a-OH.

Some tips how i use it. i use it like some readers here. i use it only at night AFTER i wash my face thoroughly. washing face opens pores and allows the product to readily seep in to be more effective. i prefer nighttime b/c i dont have to worry about being mega-paranoid in the AM by slathering SPF. (though u must always use SPF at all times when going out! all anti-aging skincare regimen is in vain without use of sunscreen!!!!) You will also feel some stinging. even after one week of use, i do feel some sting (kind of like when u use lemon on your face). it does cause some skin breakout though mine were so very minor (like red pimple on the cheek) and went away in a day or two. this is normal (as many users have this) and probably due to the increased cell-turnover? i'd say start using a small amount first then build up. so far, very pleased with this...and hoping to see what happens in the next month. thanks MUA and thank you walgreens!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No