Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base

3.2

active ingredients: titanium dioxide 6.40% [] zinc oxide 2.00% ingredients: water\aqua\eau [] trioctyldodecyl citrate [] cyclopentasiloxane [] butylene glycol [] c12-15 alkyl benzoate [] steareth-2 [] stearyl dimethicone [] tricaprylyl citrate [] silica [] barium sulfate [] lecithin [] sorbitan tristearate [] aluminum stearate [] sea whip extract [] glyceryl stearate [] tocopheryl acetate [] peg-100 stearate [] sucrose [] pantethine [] caffeine [] octyldodecyl neopentanoate [] ceteth-2 [] peg-40 stearate [] dimethicone [] cetearyl alcohol [] glycosaminoglycans [] peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone [] steareth-20 [] bisabolol [] magnesium ascorbyl phosphate [] polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate [] phytosphingosine [] sodium stearate [] magnesium aluminum silicate [] caprylyl glycol [] isopropyl titanium triisostearate [] stearic acid [] hexylene glycol [] xanthan gum [] citric acid [] disodium edta [] bht [] phenoxyethanol [] iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) [] chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289)

on 7/12/2008 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this for so may reasons. I am super pale and my skin can get really red so this was very attractive to me. I am always on the lookout for a new primer that can help control the oil and not break me out. This goes on like a moisturizer than gets super greasy in less than an hour or two. It made me very oily (oiler than usual in fact). It did nothing for the redness. I also didn't like the way it felt on my freshly scrubbed face. When you are oily like me and your skin is nice and clean, you want a fresh matte feeling before putting on make up because you know that the oil will come eventually. Well this looked and felt oily even before I put my foundation on (bad sign).

I was super oily in only a couple of hours and it just felt greasy. I think this might be a nice product for someone with dryer skin. If you are oily, good luck! I don't need a product that only adds to my oil problem and this totally did. I even used a powder over it one day when I was home not wearing any makeup (thinking maybe then it wouldn't get so oily), but my face looked cakey and oily within a couple of hours (and most powders will not do that over other primers I've tried THIS fast). I love that it's in a tube and made by Clinique because their stuff always smells so clinical and fresh, but this product did nothing for me. I can't imagine this working for any oily skins out there, but if it does more power to you. This was a disappointment for me (and whatever you do, if you are oily at all, don't use moisturizer AND this product together or you will be blotting every few minutes)!

on 6/21/2008 10:16:00 AM

I got a sample of this and liked it enough to buy it. I don't have severe redness with my rosacea, so I think my expectations were not reasonable for what it would do for me. I do have to give it about 5 minutes to sink in well before using foundation. I seem to use less foundation and my skin looks fresher and brighter. I have even gotten compliments on my skin when I wear this.

I would recommend it if you don't have severe redness. It isn't a concealer. But it feels good on my skin, seems to help my makeup look better and last longer. I also like the sunscreen, even if it is a little low, it's more than I was using before. So many suncreens just burn.

on 6/12/2008 1:02:00 PM

I have mild rosacea and thread veins around my nose plus a blotchy chin area. While this green base did not sink into my pores, there was no redness reduction. It did not do anything at all for me.

I got the Daily Protective Base as part of a set containing the cleanser and the daily moisturizer, and I think this is by far the best product in Clinique's Redness Solutions line. I have mild rosacea, which gives my nose area the typical sun-burnt look, and I have found that the green tint and light consistency of this primer help diffuse some of the redness (if not all of it) without looking obvious. Unlike other reviewers, I am not too concerned about the rather low SPF15. I always wear this primer under Clinique's Super City Block SPF40, whose thick consistency and light beige tint also help diffusing redness and blemishes. I will definitely repurchase.
UPDATE: In the end I decided to do away with camouflage products like this and full-coverage foundation and spend my hard-earned cash on laser treatments, which actually work on redness and rosacea. After a couple of sessions there is still a hint of redness, but I can now finally wear tinted moisturisers and sheer foundations, yay!

on 6/1/2008 10:26:00 AM

I use this as a fall/winter sunscreen if my skin is not too dry. I need to use a non-chemical sunscreen and this one does reduce the redness, but does not work well with my foundations. But, as one reviewer noted, this works well if you do not require a lot of makeup. I used this mostly on the weekends if I were just out and about running errands. It is pricy for casual use, so I am not sure I'll repurchase.

I really like this product. The green is ok...it lessens the redness slightly. However, the real benefit of RSDPB is that it is a nonchemical sunscreen that is NOT sticky, white, or too heavy. I agree I would like to see a higher SPF, but at least I know I WILL wear this everyday.

on 5/7/2008 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a light green mouse like product.Does not contain any chemical sunscreens,Has a green tint to help conceal redness.It is oil free,and wears well under my make up.This product cost me 22 euros and It comes in a 40 ml tube.It is a stable spf 15 with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.I would like to see this formula but with a higher spf.I have very sensitive oily skin and Its impossible to wear sunscreen with chemical ingredients specially with oxybenzone and this one Its the only choice I have plus the fact that It is oil free.The only negative think that I can thing about this product is that Its a bit oily for my super oily skin during the summer

on 5/6/2008 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I got this as a sample at Nordstrom. I have used Physican's Formula gentle cover green stick with SPF 15 for maybe 12 years and thought I would try this. My skin just doesn't like it. After a few minutes my face burned but I left it on and now later in the day I feel greasy and my skin looks red and upset. This product is not for me.

on 4/30/2008 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

What a terrific product. It goes on smoothly, doesn't move around or disappear, and mutes the red to a nice blush tone. It won't completely cover red as it is not a conceler, but it definitely takes the sharpness of the red away and mutes it softly down. My makeup went on fine, and the SPF is physical so I am not irritated by the sunscreen. I don't lake the rest of the line much, but this product is a keeper.

on 4/30/2008 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This came with the Redness Solutions kit which also included the cleanser and daily relief cream. All of the products have been working well for me, but this stuff really is to be commended. I've used green-tinted primers before, but a) they didn't have an spf and/or b) they were way too heavy and greasy. This primer is not heavy at all and it's not greasy. It makes a real difference in my redness. It's not a miracle product - there is still some redness, but it's reduced quite a bit. I will definitely be repurchasing.
EDIT: Since I started using this product, I've seen a huge decrease in the amount of redness. It really is an everyday product for me now.

Popular Primer/ Correctors