MAC Matte2 - Typographic

4.8

This is a must for smoky eyes, it blends well and is very close to black. I do find that it tends to crease though. If you have very dark hair like me, you can also use as an eye brow filler.

This blends very well and is comparable to carbon if you aren't looking for a true black. Works for me.

Like many other reviewers, I primarily use Typographic to do a smokey eye. But before I discovered Typographic, I've had to settle with Howzat (the greyish-black colour, satin, in one of the quads from MAC's Fafi collection). The colour pay-off wasn't up to my expectations and so I decided to get a new black shadow. Having scoured through the many reviews on MUA, I discovered something- at this very moment, Typographic is the only black eye shadow from MAC that has been reviewed by a fair number of reviewers (16) and still boasts of a 100% repurchase rate.
Ratings aside, Typographic is described by MAC to be asphalt black which in any case means pretty damn black. It's not as dark as Carbon, meaning that it is much more user-friendly because you can gradually build up to the desired intensity. In fact, the colour pay-off is just right for me- lightly dabbing at the eyeshadow with a MAC 239 gathers enough colour to deliver an admirable intensity without much need of building up. Also, being a Matte2, the texture is undoubtedly much smoother and finer than a regular matte (Carbon) therefore making it much easier to blend out. Typographic lacks glitter and shimmer, which in my opinion, provides a good anchor for a smokey eye- I just don't think that it's particularly qualifies as smokey if everything is shimmery.
I've never liked matte shadows because I've always thought that they were drying (that's what I generally think of matte products), dull and difficult to work with. Yet, Typographic is an exception. I wouldn't know if this holds true for the rest of the Matte2 collection. I do, however, know that Typographic is versatile in that it could serve as an eyeliner (but so can every other eyeshadow), it could be used to intensify or smoke up lighter eyeshadows, the application is efficient due to the richness in colour and it gives you a bold yet not overly-harsh look, which is too easy to achieve with something as true to absolute black as Carbon is. I would definitely repurchase Typographic and I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to perfect their smokey eye. I just wouldn't recommend it to anybody in my life though. Typographic is my dirty little secret and I'm not so keen on being outdone in the smokey eye department. ;-)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I like Typographic because it isn't a dark black shade which makes it easier to apply on those who are afraid of a super dark eye. I also like the way this eyeshadow blends. The Matte2 formula is absolutely amazing. It goes on soft and builds easily. This shade looks pretty with silvers and golds and makes a pretty smokey eye. You could actually use it with any shimmery shade and it looks nice.

This is a great grey-black color. Blends very easily and it is perfectly matte which means no glitter to irritate my very sensitive eyes.

A great alternative to Carbon. Anybody who likes Carbon needs to try Typographic!

my go to shadow for smudging and smoking- more versatile than carbon or print

I loooove this for a smokey eye. It's so smooth and blendable. It's a dark charcoal gray, it's not black. It is pretty close though. Looks great on me. I have medium brown eyes, brown hair and my skintone is NC25. It goes with pretty much any eyeshadow.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Loverly dark grey - totally matte. Even though it's a shadow, it seems to go on really moist and buttery (the Matte2s are really nice). Love this as liner with a lighter grey on the lid (Sue Devitt Berlin). I also have Carbon but there are times when I find Carbon to be way too black and dark. This is also much easier to blend and darker than Print, another MAC grey.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The black-gray for me. I chose this shade for my smoky eyes because it blends well with my pigments, it doesn't make me look like I got a black eye, it's not glittery, goes on smoothly and it's VERY pigmented. You can't go wrong with this one. Pad your brush lightly on the pan though. You only need a little bit.

Top Rated MAC Products