September 20, 2014 | 1832 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Jumbo Eye Pencil in Iced Mocha

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by TipTaupeThroughTheTulips

Urban Decay's Underground Deluxe Eyeshadow is the only color I've ever hit pan on, and for me, this is just like Underground in pencil form, a gorgeous brown taupe. Easy to apply, I just color in my lid and smudge it out with a finger, and it makes a great base for a taupe eye. Unfortunately, you need to apply a primer and take care not to apply too much of this product; otherwise, it will crease.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

It's the fourth jumbo eye pencil I've tried so far. (I own pencils in iced mocha, black bean, strawberry milk and milk) This is thick and a little hard to blend. The problem I see with this specific shade is that I can't really build up the color. If I apply more, I build up the frost but not the shade itself. When I blend with my finger, the color fades a little more than my other pencils do. And it does smear a little bit too. Just don't spread it too wide on your lid. This shade looks okay under brown shadows mostly. I'm not sure I'd repurchase because the color is light and frosty rather than pigmented. Nice base under shimmery shadows, though. Always use a base or else it will crease badly.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2009 5:00:00 AM More reviews by valdezc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to used Iced Mocha on top of UDPP and under any of my gold eyeshadows. The color comes out a light brown to gold shimmer on my NC44 skin tone so if this is the colore you want get it. It really helps make them pop and helps the eyeshadow to stick to my lids. This isnt my favorite color of the pencils but it's good for making gold eyeshadows stand out and shimmer a bit more. It doesn't crease if you use a good primer and the staying power of it is pretty good. Won't repurchase because I know I can find a better base for my gold eyeshadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2009 1:32:00 AM More reviews by mamamanda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Out of all the brown jumbo eye pencils this is the only one thats more a cool tone base. Great base under nyx eyeshadow in walnut. Beautiful shimmer but not too much

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by CherryO03

Maybe its because I live in a particularly warm humid area but I don't think this product has that great of a staying power. The color is nice and it glides on very easily. It shows up very shimmery and this color in particular does work great as a cheap base. But the BIGGEST CON is that it has no sharpener!! Its huge and doesn't fit into standard sharpeners. For that one very good reason I would not purchase this product again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Rholynn

I wore NYX jumbo eye in iced mocha underneath NYX cream cheese and I must say I'm lovin it. It's been 7 hours and hasn't moved yet, I did however use eye shadow insurance by UD underneath it so I'm sure that helped.

This glides on a bit easier than MAC shadestick. The color is blendable with shadow or can be worn alone.

Cheap price, but definitely not cheap quality. I'd buy this again, in fact, I bought about six other colors too~

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by 1lostinparadise

Won't say much since everyone has basically said the same things in the reviews of this product. Love the color. Glides on smooth. Prone to crease, but decent staying power with primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2009 7:12:00 PM More reviews by tangerinetomato

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this shadow. The color is really pretty and it's really convenient to apply with the pencil. It's creamy and very pigmented and with a base it lasts all day. The quality is AMAZING for the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2009 6:15:00 AM More reviews by glorylight4ever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT (10-19-10): Two of my pencils' caps have huge cracks even though they were treated very gently, so I've adjusted the packaging score from 4 to 2.

For reference, I am around MAC NC35, but I can be more yellow or olive toned than that depending on the weather, etc. I have shadowed, deep set eyes and hereditary dark circles.

DESCRIPTION:

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils are chubby cream eye shadow pencils. Iced Mocha is a frosted medium tone, cool, taupe-y brown. (The shimmer isn't glittery by any means. It just gives the color a dewy look.) As with many of the JEP the pencil tip looks like a scary dark tone, but it goes on your hand as a lighter, but very pigmented tone. It is lovely and looks like a cream version of MACís Satin Taupe. Usually when people hear taupe, they think grey-brown, but this is more like a silver-brown. I usually canít wear anything that has a lot of grey because it makes me look like I havenít slept in 4 days, but this doesnít make me look very tired or anything. I donít wear it alone, though Iím sure you can, if youíre into cream shadows. You can use it as a lid color, or if you have darker skin, you can use it as a highlighter. I use it as a base for other shadows. It adds a really nice depth to them. I especially like to use it to tone down some of the orange tones in bronze eye looks to get a more neutral effect. (See below for 2 pics of me using it as a base. Sorry about the brows, and the picture quality; it was the best I could do with my camera at the time.)

COLOR PAYOFF: (5/5)

The color payoff for this particular pencil is excellent. You don't have to push down on your eye at all to get it to show up. You just barely need to touch your skin to get a sheen with shimmer. If you apply with a bit more pressure you get a nice, rich color.

TEXTURE: (4.5/5)

JEP are really creamy. They just glide on and are very soft. They are much softer and creamier than MAC Shadesticks, which tend to be fairly dry in consistency. They also donít need to be warmed up as much. Iíve never felt like I was tugging on my eyelids or anything, like I have when using my Beige-ing Shadestick. The JEP are also much sticiker than Shadesticks. Both can be effectively used as bases for pigments or mineral eye shadows.
Different JEP have slightly different textures. Some (I'm looking at you Black Bean!) can feel thin and kind of greasy. But most of them, Iced Mocha included, just feel creamy, and are not greasy at all. Also, the frost in the pencil is not gritty in the slightest. You can't even feel it.

STAYING POWER: (3/5)

JEP are very creamy, so they are prone to creasing. Theyíre not like MAC Shadesticks which are more dry, and thus not as likely to crease. Some shades are more likely than others to crease, depending on how thick or thin the formula of that particular color is. For example, if you compare Black Bean to Iced Mocha, Black Bean is thinner and tends to crease faster than Iced Mocha.
If you follow a few tricks, you can really increase the staying power of all of any shade you choose. The main trick to using these pencils is that you need less than you think! Second, blend what you have on your lid with a brush. Third, use a primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion under it, so itís not just sitting on your bare eyelid. Finally, I donít know how necessary this is, but after I put it on my lid and blend with the brush, I like to sometimes set it by dusting it with the vestiges of the powder on my face brush, before I put any powder shadows on.
I used to think that these pencils were crap and that they would crease on me in like 5 seconds, but I was just using them incorrectly. Honestly, you need a very sheer application. With UDPP underneath Iced Mocha, and some powder eye shadows on top, I had a look for almost 8 hours with almost no creasing (inside at about 70ļ F). This is actually pretty good because normal eye shadows crease on me at least a little by that point anyway even with UDPP.

PACKAGING: (2/5) (EDITED)

It is a chubby pencil with white wrapping and a clear plastic top so you can see the color of the crayon tip. There are some nice, unobtrusive designs on it, along with the NYX logo and the shade name. (The older versions are grey instead of white, and don't have any of the filigree on it.) Iím also glad NYX didnít write something like ďFor Sexy Babeís Eyes OnlyĒ on it, like they did with their eye shadow trios. *shudder* It's not the coolest or prettiest packaging I've seen, but it's nice.

COST: (1= dirt cheap, 5 = expensive) 1.5/5

One pencil costs 3 to 3.50 USD

MISCELLANEOUS:

I have very sensitive eyes and this has not irritated them, so I think they should be okay for people with sensitive eyes, but if you want to be sure, check with your doctor. I donít know if theyíre safe for contact lens users.

HOW TO SHARPEN: They can be sharpened, but because of how soft they are, it can be difficult. If you stick the pencil in the fridge or freezer, they become harder and easier to sharpen.

VERDICT: (4/5)

I really like this pencil. It would work for subtle and dramatic looks during the day or the night. I donít think Iíd ever run out of this because I honestly use so little in each application that this one pencil will probably last me a lifetime, but I would repurchase if I ever lost it.

INGREDIENTS: Ceresin Wax, Candelilla Wax, Bees Wax, Squalane, Hydrogenated Styrene, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Mineral Oils, Polyisobutene, Butylated Hydroxy Anisole, Propyl Paraben, Mica, Talc, C.I.77499, Pearl Powder.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you. =)

NYX JEP: Iced Mocha;
NYX Loose Pearl e/s: Mink;
Milani e/s: Sun Goddess, Java Bean, Sheer Sand;
Revlon Colorstay e/l: Black;
Rimmel Kohl e/l: Pure White;
CoverGirl Volume Exact mascara: Black

continued >>

23 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this color (Iced Mocha) it is my absolute favorite. I ordered a second one immediately after receiving the first one, just in case it got discontinued. This color is similar to Mac's woodwinked. I use this as a base for most of my brown eye shadows or to bring out the color in pale pink eye shadows (such as MAC's pink suites).This is very pretty on it's own. I always prime my eyes first with concealer and powder. The only negative point about these NYX pencils is that they can not be sharpened.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No