August 1, 2014 | 1765 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2010 9:18:00 PM More reviews by snugsmontreal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i found a bottle of this in a clearance bin and decided to try it. the usual price in my area is around 13-15$ it comes in a big bottle with a pump (at least the format i bought). i love the pump, but that is about all i have to say nice about it. i have used cetaphil a lot in the past, and this stuff does have a sort of similar texture. it is a jelly type consistency and it smells like rubbing alcohol just not as vapor-strong. i tried to like this, i really did but i just can't. i wear a tinted moisturizer and eye/cheek/lip color, no water proof anything pretty simple stuff, and it wont even take off the tinted moisturizer, and i have to use my body soap to get off my eye makeup which isn't even water proof. i feel like it is literally doing NOTHING other than stinking up my face. it didn't help with break-outs, it doesn't remove my makeup i feel like i just spent my money on goo that does nothing but smell yucky. i even tried mixing a little with some of another cleanser that i do like from olay and it just made the other one suck too. forget this stuff it is going in the trash...money well spent there...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by ems001

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this cleanser for quiet a while. It is a great gentle cleanser, does not leave your skin dry or tight. The only thing is it does not remove make-up all that well, I usually run a cotton pad with make-up remover on it and I see that there is sill lots of make-up on my face after I washed my face with it.

I think it is a good cleanser for the morning, when your face has no make-up on it. It's also good for sensitive skin. Have little or no smell and it a clear gel with a bit of shimmer in it - which NEVER shows up on you face. The price is also not bad, since it comes in a big tube.
The only reason I said I would not buy this again is because I need something that removes make-up pretty well and I also have plenty of this cleanser left, I want to try something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by EightNineTen

I've been using this for over 5 years, and it's the best gentle cleanser I've ever tried. It rinses off clean and never makes my skin feel tight after I wash my face. I used to use this in conjunction with an acne medication, and my acne is completely gone. This won't take off make-up so be sure to use a makeup remover first. You're suppose to rub this into your face for at least 30 seconds, a little time consuming, but hey nothing's wrong with a little morning or late night massage. Highly recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2010 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

I have had to make some changes to my routine, since I started using the Clarisonic. Of course I'd read over & over DO NOT

A) Set it to two minutes too soon in your relationship with the Clairsonic.
B) use the brush MORE THAN twice a day.

Okay...*duh moments are over and I'm being reasonable. I had achieved amazing results initially so I thought Higher Speed! Longer time MORE EVERYTHING...Wrong-o! I started breaking out...and thats fine, I expected that. The dryness I can't handle, it makes me look old! So, Ive switched then, to using Spectro Jel for problem and acne prone skin, when I used my Clarisonic ONCE yesterday, on the factory setting, delicate brush, low speed.
Within 12 hours, the dryness had muchly decreased and the pimples are almost gone. I think I may get into Spectro Jel!
****UPDATE****
Meh....I started getting really congested pores, after using for a few weeks. To be honest I really hated the way this goop felt on my face, although it did make me feel clean after I rinsed. It's not bad, it's not great either.
***UPDATE***
Two and 1/2 years later I am standing in the Superstore, holding a bottle of this in my hands. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before and bought the wrong type for my skin or something in 2010. I was just getting used to being allergic to a bunch of foods, so maybe that was the issue.
I was using Simple gel but it isn't very popular or it is EXTREMELY popular because it is hard to find.
I used Spectro Jel, the purple bottle, unscented, today, followed by Impruv Cream.
A) Does not remove makeup, but I double cleansed...seemed ok.
B) No irritation whatsoever. No itch, no redness, no welts or hives.
C) Non drying.
D) Smell is a bit off putting.
In fact, when I was hospitalized as a teenager for about 6 months this was all I had to wash my face n body with. I hated it then...but I am liking it today.

***UPDATE*** Well 2 weeks in, I still like Spectro Gel, but this version is drying me out. I am going to try spectro derm.

***UPDATE*** Spectro derm really made me itch, I returned it. I had to stop using Spectro Gel because it is EXTREMELY drying and the ingredients are awful. For instance: “polysorbate 20,” is treated with 20 parts of ethylene oxide. This ingredient has also been linked with skin allergies. There is so much concern about this contaminant that a class-action lawsuit was filed in New Jersey against manufacturers of personal-care products containing this ingredient. PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, have a pH of 12. That's the same pH of laundry soap. There are no ingredients after or before that lower the pH. No wonder it was drying me out.
Bin it. Done.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2010 11:39:00 PM More reviews by kickpushhh

I've never had luck with spectro jel and my face. Whenever I try to use it I break out. I tried when I was 14, and then again when I was 18. No luck! However, I have healed all my tattoos with it perfectly... so I guess it has its uses.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2009 2:10:00 AM More reviews by Acadine

I've been using this product for about a month now. I was using Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser (the clear orange product) prior to Spectro Jel for Blemish-Prone Skin. There was nothing wrong with the Clean & Clear; Spectro Jel was on sale and I thought I'd give it a try, seeing as it's manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world. What other reviewers have said about the scent is true: the fragrance-free version does has a slight alcoholic/medicinal smell--something I don't find too surprising since, again, Spectro Jel is a product manufactured by a Big Pharma company specializing in medicine. The clear gel also doesn't foam, but it's still easily massaged onto your face.

Clean & Clear left my face feeling squeaky clean, whereas Spectro Jel leaves my face feeling ... not greasy, per se, but the same way your face feels after you've applied a light layer of moisturizer. The first time I used Spectro Jel, I thought to myself that I was going to break out for sure because I was so used to the squeaky-clean quality of Clean & Clear. However, I've been using Spectro Jel for about a month now and haven't broken out save for the occasional blemish during my period. People have started asking me what foundation and blush I'm using because apparently my face is glowing. I'm quite a tomboy and don't wear makeup except on special outings. (If anybody cares, I also use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion and St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer interchangeably.) I haven't noticed any huge differences in my skin switching from the Clean & Clear to the Spectro Jel, but I guess the people around me have, so take that for what it's worth. So, to address the issue of Spectro Jel not leaving your face squeaky clean: I don't think this is a bad thing; it just means your skin isn't being completely stripped of its oils (Spectro Jel's claim of being "gentle") and that Spectro Jel is adding some moisturizer to your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2009 10:57:00 AM More reviews by teresa1083

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok, so i have tried cetaphil many times because i wanted a gentle cleanser and was always dissapointed. I should have known to look a little further down along the bottom shelf to look for this gem. This cleans gently, removes makeup, and doesnt dry out my skin. Ok so it does smell kind of funny but not in a gross way, but in a medical cleaning supply kind of way. This stuff is total HG when combined with complex 15 moisturizer. They are both such unglamorous products but together they work better than any high end product i have ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2009 9:54:00 AM More reviews by FrugalMakeupAddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Spectro Jel for sensitive blemish prone skin for a few months now. I am quite impressed with this product. It has contributed to clearing up my skin, and I believe that one of the problems I had was over cleansing. I have oily, somewhat sensitive, breakout prone skin. I was using harsher cleansers, and exfoliaters and I think I was getting a rebound effect in terms of oiliness. I now have very balanced skin with only the odd blemish usually around the time of my period. My 13 year old has also been using this, ( and nothing else) and her skin has cleared up dramatically. It is very gentle, non drying, cleanses effectively with the exception of some of the super-stay formulas of foundation, in which case I use a makeup removing cloth first, then cleanse with Spectro Jel. The price is good for the amount you get and the packaging is convenient with a pump. It is fragrance free, PH balanced, and feels quite gentle on my skin. The scent takes a little getting used to at first. Maybe a little like alcohol? But it dissipates right away. I highly recommend this and I will be re-purchasing for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2009 2:28:00 PM More reviews by mistyrioux

In my mid-twenties I developed really bad skin.I pick at my skin and squeeze my pores, which makes the problem worse.

I use this to try and combat break-outs, but I can't say if it really works or not. I do think my pores are smaller and cleaner, but it's likely all my poking and prodding override any anti-break-out impact it might have.

I can say that it feels nice, has no particular smell, and doesn't leave my skin flaky, dry feeling, or greasy at all. It doesn't feel harsh, and it doesn't irritate inflamed or open skin.

I use it while I condition my hair, so it's on for the recommended amount of time, but I don't always feel like continually rubbing it around on my skin. I certainly hope that doesn't make much of a difference in the results.

Of all the face washes I've tried, this is the one I definitely prefer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by sarahlen

This is in genreal a great cleanser.
Pros
-non drying
-oil free
-does not cause breakouts or agrivate existing ones
-very balancing

cons
- does not remove makeup as well as i need it to

sometimes i use a foaming cleanser to remove makeup and then this so i have a balanced base to apply treatment

Update: you dont know what you've got till it's gone! i recently rebought this after months of cleansers that left my skin dry, broken out and just generally irritated. everytime i go back to this i ask myself why i switched in the first place , oh yeah it sucks at taking off eye makeup and im to lazy for 2 steps but i will glady add an extra step to my routine to have breakout free skin that is calm and soft.