MAC Lipglass in Lychee Luxe

4.1

on 7/8/2007 3:27:00 AM

Picture:Lychee Luxe Lipglass applied generously to unlined lips. If the image above isn't working, you can find it mirrored http://mac.larahill.com/swatch/displayimage.php?pos=-294.

Confession: I am not a coral or orange person. I'm pale with very strong pink undertones, and past experience has proven time and time again that I find it incredibly difficult to find an orange or coral colour that will suit my complexion and work on my eyes, lips or cheeks.

I only purchased Lychee Luxe because I needed to use up a credit note at MAC, and found myself in the pleasant position of not needing anything - no eyeshadows, no powders, nothing. I didn't even require anything from the current collection that was sitting on the bench. Finally I asked the lovely girl behind the counter to randomly recommend me something, and she replied 'Lychee Luxe lipglass' and handed me the tester. I swatched it on my hand, internally cringed a little bit but decided to follow her advice. I could always pass it on to my mother, give it to a co-worker or add it to my already giant working kit, right?

When I got back to the car, I cautiously applied a bit to show my fiance and was very pleasantly surprised by his positive response. Even in the harsh light of a sunlit carpark and viewed in the altogether cruel passenger mirror, it looked fresh and vibrant but not OTT. My fears of looking like a washed-up, post-menopausal Vegas showgirl were unfounded, and instead I looked the picture of radiant healthfulness. It was flattering, subtle without being invisible, shimmery without being glittery and didn't split or slide when applied over my lipbalm.

Swatched on my hand, this colour is bright. Think Vegas Volt lipstick - super intense orange with a coral twist. When applied to my lips with the doe-foot applicator, the colour mellows out and picks up the natrual pinkness of my lips to turn into a gentle semi-sheer melon-based coral. The golden pearl becomes more prominent and adds some subtle sparkle and 'lift' to the lip colour. The colour intensity isn't that overpowering unless I apply the gloss thickly.

The colour itself is uplifting and refreshing, and it isn't garish against my pale features unless I really pack it on. Since MAC tweaked the formula of the lipglass range, they're nowhere near as sticky or smudgy as they used to be. The formula still has the lasting power of a thick sticky gloss, but it now has some 'slip' that prevents it from sticking to itself and leaves a smooth sensation on the lip.

Would I repurchase this? I've said yes because I was incredibly surprised at how well this actually worked with my colouring and complexion, and one should never let a rare make-up success story slip from one's fingers! If you're interested in purchasing this, I highly recommend trying before you buy.

Ingredients: Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Tin Oxide, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Acrylates Copolymer, Vanillin, Isopropylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben. May contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Carmine (CI 75470), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red Lake 28 (45410), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005).

I am: PPP, MAC NW15/NW100, KA SSE SX 01, Prescriptives Real Camellia, black hair and blue eyes. continued >>

on 6/25/2007 3:14:00 PM

Pulled this out again for the summer and it's so lovely. Doesn't come out as scary as it appears in the tube, which is a bright sparkly orangey-coral-melon. Comes out a sheer warm coral on me (NC25 Asian), flattering and great for the summer when I have some color on my face. I took a lippie off b/c I am no longer as enamored of MAC Lipglasses anymore -- I like the vanilla smell, but the heavy feeling and stickiness have gotten to me. Also, this is not a unique color -- Revlon's Coral Glow Super Lustrous l/g is similar and slightly more orangey, while Lychee Luxe is slightly more pink/corally. Therefore, I will finish up this l/g but will not repurchase.

on 6/21/2007 4:03:00 PM

Prettiest & long lasting one i've ever used!
that is 1st Mac lipglass i tried though.
i picked that color because it is best selling one in Korea(i am korean btw) also very recommendable for mideum light skin tone such as NC 20+.
It gets even better when it starts wearing off as your natural lip colar shows a little bit(mine natural lip is plum pink color. so makes my lip tone-downed peachy pink when it starts wearing off)
i think i'll try Prrr and Pink lemonade as well.

Basically agree with everything the previous reviewer said-perfect summer gloss, looks good on pale or tan skin, but I also prefer to use when I'm a little tan. The first time I used this it was much darker, brighter, and more corally then I was expecting. I tossed it away with some of my other rarely used products a year ago, and dug it out again this summer to give it another try. This time I loved it, and I'm sure I'll be using it a lot now. Recommended.

on 5/22/2007 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is my HG summer lipgloss. I got it after its reccomendation in IN STYLE mag as the perfect colour for pale skin tones but I got to admit I prefer to wear it when I,m a little tan. It brightens up my face and it has great lasting power.

on 5/10/2007 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

While i love mac glosses this colour did not seem to work on me no matter how thinly i applied it. It just looked really sparkly and orange which is strange as orange usually suits me. sad.....

on 5/9/2007 10:05:00 PM

This is the pigmented pinky-coral l/g I have been looking for. Great shine, although the Lipglass formula seems less sticky now, which I think causes the color to fade more quickly. I'd rather have the stickier formula, in order to keep the color more vibrant for a longer period of time.

on 5/6/2007 5:44:00 PM

I too was immediately turned off by the color in the tube, but it's not as intense on my lips. NOT AS intense, but still pretty bright and orangy. A little goes a loooong way with Lychee Luxe. More than two swipes and I look like a clown, but it's all right when just a tiny bit is applied. I don't know yet if I'd repurchase. I tend to get pretty tan during the summer months, so maybe it will look better with my darker skin.

on 4/24/2007 4:54:00 PM

This is just a little too bright and a bit too pink on me, and clashes with my very warm NC27 skintone. I also think MAC Lipglasses are WAY too sticky and will only use MAC's Plushglasses (still sticky, but they smell and feel great) and Chromeglasses (more like a lipstick in formulation). So this is up for swap...

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

If you have a NC 30-35 coloring with brunette hair, I am almost positive you will love this. When I put this on I instantly knew this color was for me. It instantly brightened my complexion! Pigmented like a lipstick, yet moisturizing like a lip balm and the color is just beautiful. When it fades it still leave a nice stain too. I would describe it as a medium coral with shimmer. Yes I would repurchase!I EDIT Knocking down a lippy since I changed my hair color to a (medium coppery brown) It seems to orangy for me since it clashes with my coppery highlights.

Recommended for Medium Skin