October 25, 2014 | 1846 users online

Primer/ Corrector - BeneFit Cosmetics - That Gal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Benefit's That Gal is a "silky pink primer that takes your complexion from dull to darling. Simply blend it on for the look of brighter, smooth skin". This face primer contains "light reflecting pigments to help brighten all skin tones and raspberry and chamomile to sooth the skin". This primer is available in once, universally flattering shade. I really like that Benefit doesn't make any crazy claims about That Gal, they simply promise that it'll brighten the face. A full size tube of That Gal contains 11ml (.37fl oz) and retails for a pretty pricey $29. I got a seemingly tiny sample in the "Ulta-mate Sexy Six" kit. The sample is actually a decent size, it contains 7.5ml (.25 fl oz), working out to a value of about $21.75. I effectively paid $4 for the sample size of this primer, it was one of 6 products in a $24 kit. Good deal, yeah? Benefit does not test on animals and offers a detailed and seemingly honest animal testing policy in their FAQ. This primer was made in the USA. Benefit products are pretty widely available and can be purchased in Sephora, Ulta, Benefit counters in department stores, and online at the brand's website.
My little sample sized primer comes in a small squeeze tube with the name of the product on the front, a cartoon city skyline with a sunset backdrop adorn the back. Benefit always has such cute packaging. The tube is sealed by a black twist on cap. Almost no product info is available on the sample tube. I can't vouch for what info is on the full size product or it's box. The full size version of this face primer comes packaged entirely different. It's a plastic twist up tube with the same urban design. It doesn't seem very functional, I think I'd prefer the little squeeze tube.
That Gal is a soft, peachy pink with a very smooth texture and no visible glitter. That Gal is a little on the thin side. This primer blends in flawlessly and is quite subtle once blended in. Does That Gal brighten? Yeah! It gives the skin a subtle, beautiful luminosity, but don't go overboard with it. On the wrong skin type Bad Gal can give the look of oily skin if used all over the face, especially under a dewy foundation. If you feel the need to use this primer all over the face, it's best to do so under a matte to semi-matte foundation. If you have a drier skin type, That Gal might be passable to wear all over the face, otherwise stick to areas you'd like to brighten or highlight. I use That Gal to prime under the eyes mainly, as well as under the brow and other normal places to highlight. The soft luminosity shows through foundation, creating a brightened but not highlighted look. Its a really pretty effect. Though it mainly functions as a primer, That Gal can also be used as a highlight if that's more of your style.
So That Gal certainly brightens, but how does it work as a primer, otherwise? It provides very light but noticeable coverage, which is why I like it under the eyes, if you don't have dark circles it could probably replace your concealer. I don't feel like That Gal improves or prolongs foundation wear, but it does help foundation go on smoother. You're not much of a primer if you can't do that though. I actually find that That Gal blurs the looks of the larger pores on my nose better than their Porefessional primer. That's a little ironic, isn't it?
Benefit's That Gal is a very good brightening primer. The texture is luxurious and very blendable. The brightening effect is subtle, natural, and very pretty. Equally as pretty as the adorable packaging. I'm not sure if That Gal improves foundation wear, but it does give a smooth canvas to apply foundation and concealer over. That alone makes it a pretty good primer. That Gal lives up to it's sole claim of brightening the complexion and then some. Oh and I should mention that That Gal has a super light, very fresh berry scent. I really like Benefit's That Gal Brightening Face Primer. I recommend picking up this primer if you have some extra cash on hand, especially if you have dull skin that needs to be perked up a bit. I would repurchase Bad Gal if I could afford it. Maybe I'll pick up a second Sexy Six pack.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by chabbycheeks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This product smells wonderful (grape scent?) and does an ok job as a primer. It helps set the foundation but doesn't really do anything in terms of brightening. It also doesn't fill in pores and lines like what you'd expect from a "primer". Other cheaper products work better.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

My co worker swear by this product for giving her an even palette for her powder foundation. I tried it, and I felt like it didn't really add anything to my look. Some have said this makes their bronzers "pop" when added on top of this product, but I didn't experience that. I am NW15-20, and this didn't do anything for me, unlike MAC's Prep and Prime in Adjust, which is a peachy shade that seems very similar to this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2012 4:49:00 AM More reviews by ainelbmsmr10

I love the smell of this product, it smells absolutely delicious. And the packaging is genius, easy to apply and small enough to carry around without it getting lost.
Sometimes i wear this alone (or over POREfessional) and i love the warm glow finish.
On the downside, it doesn't seem to last very long in the summer weather since i sweat and my t-zone gets really oily after a few hours. Also the price is a bit high.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by jdmcgi2

I had a sample size of this product to try so I can't comment on the packaging but overall this was a decent product in my opinion. I wouldn't purchase it again because when I am super pale or not that tan the color can make my face look a tad bit pink or orange so I think I would like this product better if it was clear or not pigmented. I have only tried a few primers in the past and have found that they don't work at all but this one really did make my makeup last all day...and I sweat alot when I work somedays! I just wish it wasn't pigmented....I'm not sure dry skin would like this but combination to oily is probably ideal. I will say that this did not luminate my skin at all. It did before I put on foundation but after that all shimmer/ luminating qualities were gone. This primer has made me want to try other primers out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by emmacole1

I am majorly disappointed with this product. It is way overpriced and has actually made my foundation run more than if I didnt use it. And judging by the reviews on here, I am not the only person to think this. How can they still sell it when it is clearly substandard? Laura Mercier is by far the best primer. It has made me want to steer clear of all Benefit products as I feel cheated.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 9:35:00 AM More reviews by angekronaus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

received this as a sample with a magazine so im relieved i didnt pay the high end price for it.

there is nothing about this product that i can even rave about.... at a push i would have to say the consistency feels good but thats where it ends. it does nothing to prime AT ALL and there is no highlighting property to this product either. heavens only knows how this is meant to prime....have benefit even seen a primer from mac or any of the other goodies to see what a primer is actually meant to do??? judging by this product i would say NO.

i dont even particularly like the overly girly packaging. it reminds me of barbie makeup and thats just not for me...in fact, the majority of the benefit products are packaged rather "childlike" IMO and i would appreciate some more sophisticated, practical packaging from benefit. anyway, avoid this product, its just not worth anything!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 4:24:00 PM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm really not impressed with this AT ALL. The only thing I like about it is the scent because it's a nice pick-me-up in the morning. But after a month, I didn't notice a change in the look or feel of my skin or the wear of any foundations. I actually believe it made 2 of my foundations slide more than they would have without it. I don't recommend this product and would not repurchase it.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by chuichi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a small tube sample of this, so it was squeezed out of a tube instead of what the full size product is like. I felt this was just like a normal moisturiser; it does nothing to prime my skin for makeup, and doesn't brighten my skin. Sometimes I put it on and I wonder why I'm even bothering! It really doesn't make any difference to my makeup, whether I put it on or not... so I won't be buying this!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by crystelle07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love BeneFit products and they are always packaged so pretty and girly. This was the first primer I had ever bought. It runs on the expensive side, I paid about $30 at Ulta, but I think you're paying more for the packaging than the product itself. It says it's a brightening face primer. It made my makeup last all day but I didn't really notice a brighten effect. It smells like strawberries and fades as soon as my foundation is applied. I am still on the hunt for a face primer that will make my foundation stay all day and brighten my face as well. I will finish this primer, as it was $30. I will not repurchase.