October 23, 2014 | 1180 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a terrible habit of messing with my hair color. My natural color is dark blonde, but I lighten it (Preference LB02). Every so often, I color it dark blonde, hate it, and bleach it back to light blonde with no problem. This time, I really messed up. Initially, I used a medium ash blonde, hoping to counter-act the brassiness in my hair from coloring it light blonde. That, in return, turned my hair green/gray. So I went out to Target, bought a box of dark blonde color, and a box of medium brown as well. I used the dark blonde on top, and the medium brown underneath, hoping to achieve a two-toned color. When I rinsed and dried, my hair was dark brown, with slight green/gray casts coming through. I freaked, since I didn't have time to fix it before work (a 9 hour shift...at the mall...on a saturday...). As soon as I got home I started researching how I could fix this when I came across Color Oops. Numerous websites had good reviews, so I went out to Rite Aid to buy it. At 10.99 a box, I was hoping it worked as well as people said. I bought two boxes, since my hair is fairly long and very thick. When I got home, I read the instructions very carefully. I took the advice of other reviewers and set up the bathrom with the window open and a fan pointed to push the air out of the room. I began applying the remover, which is really easy to work through hair. Unlike actual hair color, it doesn't make your hair knotty, stuck together, and hard. The smell wasn't horrible, but it did remind me of a cheap fruit salad. I was able to comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb to work the mixture through my hair thouroughly. Before I even left the bathroom, I noticed my blonde roots coming through. I set the timer for twenty minutes and anxiously waited. I rinsed my hair for almost 40 minutes (the instructions say rinse for 15-20 minutes, but the longer the better). I did start smelling the "rotten eggs" when I rinsed it out, and it still faintly lingers through the apartment. I dried my hair, and was slightly disappointed. My hair was still a light golden brown/dark blonde. Now, that is probably my fault, since I think I should have used both boxes (I only used one because I thought my hair was fully saturated, but now I'm not sure it was). It may be light enough that I can bleach it back to the right color, but if I need to use Color Oops again, I'd use the full two boxes. If your hair is medium/long, use at least two to be on the safe side, and rinse rinse rinse.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2009 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Charbridges

Loved this product! It worked wonders for me! :) Been dying my hair for YEARS and still turned back to my natural hair color.
I know if you have bleached hair you remove natural pigment from your hair and ColorOops cannot restore that. Also, If you use a 20v or more developer it removes natural pigment and cannot restore that either. I found that out from other people. Hope this helped anyone who is considering using it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by afanda1

I have naturally medium brown hair. This summer I was dying it Dark Golden Blond which I really loved, but was tired of fixing roots. I grabbed a medium brown color but it was a cool and I was A-S-H-Y! So green. Was really scared to use this stuff.

Verdict - worked like a charm! Back to the color it was, EXACTLY! Smelled like crap though. I could smell it on my hair for weeks after. But, worth the stink for not having green hair.

Highly recommend! Stick with regular strength, I hear scary things about the Extra Strength.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2009 3:04:00 AM More reviews by acspears

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So I've been dying my hair a dark reddish brown for years, however this past winter I went for super dark brown (next to black).

My roots have been growing out and I wanted to go back to the dark red so on friday, I dyed my hair a dark red -- big mistake!! My light brown roots turned orange and my dark brown hair turned a cherry/purple color!

I googled around for about an hour and found a product called COLOROOOPS! I read alot of reviews and liked the fact that it doesn't bleach your hair because I have processed my hair and it is baby-fine and really long, I hate the idea of bleaching it!

anyways, I picked up a bottle of color oops this morning, put it in my hair and left it for about 30min. I rinsed it out for about 15min with cold cold water and when I dried my hair it was left a gingery orange color, which in all honesty isn't that bad. I don't know where the color came from but, whatever!

my hair didn't feel brittle, dry, tortured etc at all -- it felt like it normally does! just to be safe, I ended up deep conditioning my hair this evening and the gingery orange color I had ended up darkening up, idk what's going on but again, it doesn't look too bad.

anyways, this stuff works! it lightened up my hair dramatically without killing it and I plan to dye over this gingery red in a week or two, just want to give my hair a break.

I reccomend it to anyone who has had a bad dye job with dark colors; COLOROOPS will lighten your hair and allow you to re-dye it and not damage your hair like a stripping kit will.

plus, it's $15 and available at walgreens! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2009 3:44:00 AM More reviews by flawlessbackflip

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

my hair used to be really dark brown- pretty much black. i had colored it a dark ruby red and it was fading into an ugly brown. i wanted my black hair back so i tried to use this. first of all, the smell is SO terrible i could barely stand it. and my hair still reeks of it too; i used this stuff 2 hours ago!! disgusting. but i got over it considering the miracles i thought it would produce. it took out the ugly faded brown a little, to a point where it just looks like my hair is black with brown highlights. it's not too bad, but it didn't remove it completely and i wanted my hair to be all over black again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by fluff

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have never written a product review before, but I feel so strongly about how wonderful Color Oops is that I just have to write! Five days ago, I colored my hair with a semi-permanent that was supposed to be light brown, but turned my hair jet black with green undertones. I used Clairol Uncolor twice on the same day that I dyed it, but it barely made a difference; same with dishwashing liquid I used over the next few days. Out of desperation, I tried Color Oops; I was really afraid to put my hair through another chemical process. I followed the instructions (they're really easy) and less than an hour later, I had my own hair back--shiny and soft, too! This product is absolutely amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2009 1:08:00 AM More reviews by TheRemodeller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had level 7 ash blonde hair with orange-gold undertone, I used XORA 7.66 hair-color (Oddly enough by developlus the same company that manufactures color oops) with 20 volume developer and it came out TERRIBLE! The cherry red I had envisioned was in reality a plain jane boring drugstore boxed color red, except for the florescent orange like near the scalp... not attractive. So I panicked and went out and purchased COLOR OPPS conditioning formula and it does exactly what it claims to do, it smells terribly but it does take out the color. I knew I would not get back to my natural color since the developer would have lightened my hair but it did take out a significant amount of red and now I'm fairly close to what I was, my hair is however much more copper than it was before. It's available at your local rite-aid and for relatively cheap. If you've had the color in your hair for over a month get the extra strength assuming your hair is still relatively healthy.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by omglac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I knew going into to trying this product that it may go wrong because my hair was dyed black. It's not freshly dyed, I did it about 1 1/2 months ago. Naturally my hair is a brownish-red. I knew with the stripping process there would be a huge possibility it would turn my hair red... but I was willing to try anything to get rid of the black. WELL, it not only took all of the black out... but now it could easily be considered a bright fried orange. It didn't do much damage, or at least any that I could feel. Even though it did what it said and removed all of black... which I'm ecstatic about, it looks completely horrible.
I've heard other horror stories about putting a dye on it even though it says you can... but in this case, I'll take my chances.

*EDIT*: I put a auburn color over it about an hour after stripping it. I left the color in for the full time... and it resulted in this really pretty black auburn color. Looks black, otherwise when light hits it has red highlights. I wasted almost $20 for the same color I had in the beginning.
Just be careful when using this. Tricky stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2008 6:53:00 PM More reviews by elizboom

Color Oops is great, it did exactly what it said it would. I tried to dye my hair a light brown from a light blonde and it was a dark, ashy mess. This product lifted most of the color off. It does smell like old hot dog, quite sickening. But it works great, just make sure you shampoo and rinse for at least 20 minutes. And you're going to need a good conditioning treatment because it dries the hair out badly.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2008 12:01:00 AM More reviews by LexiB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay, I used to think this was crap but it's great. It's mainly good if you're trying to remove one hair color. So if you've dyed your hair black a million times and want to get rid of it, this might not do the job completely. i dyed my hair dark brown after lightening it and i realized it was too dark so i used this today. currently it's brassy and orange (it's supposed to be that way after using a product like this) but it's lighter, so I can put a new color on. thank you color oops!