October 23, 2014 | 1073 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by NOLACreoleGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product since the age of 16/17 when I relaxed my hair OFTEN! This has been a staple of mine for years...it's saved my hair from many of damaging chemical treatments (including my stint as a platinum blond from natural black hair smh) I'm not TOO crazy about the Balancing Moisturizer that comes in the kit that I get from my local beauty supply store. But I use it anyway and I also suggest using a VERY moisturizing deep conditioner after this treatment (or any protein treatment) as proteins tend to leave the hair dry if not properly moisturized.

The application can get a bit messy but I've taken to pouring a small amount into an applicator bottle and it makes it easier for me. As stated in a few other reviews the smell does go away so no worried...but after all these years I don't really notice it lol.

Keep in mind that this is a HEAVY protein treatment and some find that their hair doesn't respond well to it. There are lighter treatments that I like such as the Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstrutor (that I always leave in for longer than 2 minutes) and its more of a conditioner as opposed to an actual treatment such as this one.

I've recommended this to several of my friends over the years and if you're having breakage or your tresses are damaged, this may be the one to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 10:31:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteHairGoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have naturally dark down hair( for those of you in the hairdressing world level 3) which I bleach and tone to and tone to an ultra pale blonde. This had saved my hair so many times. It is the only hair product that I have found to harden hair back to its natural state after bleaching. As a hairstylist I always have it on hand to use when doing color. This is something that I will always have tucked away at my station and at home in my cabinet. I cant recommend this product enough really. The only thing I am not so jazzed about it the second part which I use a different product then the two minute re constructor. Instead I use the Joico K-pak intense hydrator.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/16/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by pkkatalina

I agree with others - this stuff smells like vomit. I left it on for a couple of minutes and couldn't wait to wash it out. Then, upon reading the packet of deep condish that came with it, the 5th ingredient on that label is "mineral oil." Are you kidding me?

I'll save my money for a higher end product that won't stink up my bathroom and hair. Malibu Wellness has a protein builder packet that is awesome; I'll be going back to that product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2012 6:10:00 PM More reviews by jstrazishar

My hair is curly and very breakage-prone. On top of that, I dye my hair about once every three months and heat style a few times a week. After reading all of the amazing reviews here on MUA, I decided to give it a try.

So I went down to Sally's and bought the one-use envelopes for under $4 with my Beauty Club card. I figured that even if it didn't work, at least I didn't have to throw away my money buying the bigger bottles right away.

I put aside a day when I'd have plenty of time to do it without feeling rushed. I got in the shower and shampooed my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo--I really wanted to be sure I was getting any product build-up out. Then I towel-blotted my hair and set my tools out: wide-toothed comb, hair dryer with a concentrator on it, and a rag to wipe the nastiness off my hands.

I applied the treatment mostly at the top of my head and combed it downward, and this eliminated any problem with dripping. If you do it this way just make sure you're distributing the product all the way down to your ends. Based on the reviews I read, I was expecting the worst smell in the world, but it didn't smell bad to me at all really. It didn't smell GOOD, but not bad either, and the smell dissipated quickly.

Then came the fun part--getting to blow dry my hair for an hour. I dried until it was completely dry, then I turned the faucet on to fill up my bathtub and continued to dry it more until my tub filled up (just to be sure it was totally dry).

I did what a couple other reviewers did and soaked my head in the tub for a few minutes, and I kind of started gently swishing my hair back and forth in the water after a couple of minutes to start rinsing away some of the product. After leaving my hair in the tub for about 5 minutes I stood up and rinsed it the rest of the way under the shower.

My hair felt gross and straw-like immediately after rinsing it out--DON'T WORRY! Once you apply the conditioner this feeling will go away. I left the moisturizer on while I washed and shaved (about 15 minutes) then rinsed it out. At that point I could already tell a huge difference in the feeling of my hair. It felt so extremely smooth and healthy.

I scrunched a little product into my hair (as I usually do when wearing it naturally) and let it air-dry. WOW! My curls were defined, shiny, and bouncy. Not only does my hair look amazing, but it feels great, too!

I will also say that my hair is a lot easier to straighten and curl (when I want more perfect curls than my natural ones). I did the treatment exactly a week ago and my hair still looks and feels amazing. Will definitely do another treatment in about two months!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Pcrate

This product is awesome... I immediately see a difference when I treat my hair with it - I have been experimenting with different conditioner treatments and sleeping in them for "operation- healthy hair & operation hair-grow-back" and this is the foundation of all those "operation treatments" I use... My hair has the bouncing and behaving silk effect when I use this- however you have to be careful not to use it too often... I try to use it once every 2-3 months if I being disciplined...
Smell - death
Potency- intense
Results - Awesome -

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Once you get a whiff of this stuff, you know it has to work. Nothing that smells this bad could stay on the market unless it actually produced results. I never even knew this product existed until I started visiting MUA on a regular basis. It's only sold in beauty supply stores. It's an intense protein treatment for fried, damaged hair. I have used this twice on my poor, crappy, over-processed hair and I plan on using it again soon. I feel it has improved the strength and quality of my hair overall. I notice that I get a LOT less hair in my comb after I comb it after showering. I used to think that I was just shedding a lot of hair... now I think I was experiencing a lot of breakage, and Aphogee treatments seem to have helped that. Though this doesn't work absolute miracles, it can make damaged hair look and feel a lot better. It's definetely worth putting up with the smell and the time (you have to blowdry your hair rockhard after applying) it takes to do it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Ponchy

Wow! All the other reviewers who raved about this product were so right. I don't even recognize my own hair today after using this for the first time ever. Soft, smooth-looking hair. I didn't realize what a damaged mess my fine, thin hair was from over-bleached hi-lights. I have found a new hairdresser and a new HG hair product: Aphogee Two-Step. **Thanks to the Hair Board for recommending this product as well as all those experts who wrote detailed reviews of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by burs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this 2 nights ago for the first time, and yesterday I had 3 people comment on how great my hair looked. I followed all the other reviewers instructions (applied it over a bowl to catch the drips & reuse em and dunked my head in bathwater to rinse it out) & used the Balancing Moisturizer as the 2nd step. I'd been hesitant to use it in the past because it seemed pretty extreme, but now I'm growing out my hair to donate, and it really needed it. FYI it doesn't do anything for split ends, so if that's your problem, it won't help. Just get a trim!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2012 7:35:00 PM More reviews by som2224

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow...is this stuff amazing! I had to write a review because I am sooo happy with the results. Last year I bleached my entire head and hated it, so I then proceeded to dye it over and over. I have been dying my hair every month at least and constantly adding new highlights since the dreaded bleach job...lots of hair abuse! My hair is chin length and fine. I want to grow it out so I thought I would give aphogee a try based upon the reviews and I am so happy I did. My hair is super shiny, full of body, and looks so pretty. I will definitely be using aphogee every 6 weeks to help with the health and look of my hair and to help grow it out as fast as possible. Dont be afraid to try this stuff...it works! Follow the directions to a T, and you will have no problems. I found the odor to be somewhat pleasant and not bad at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by heathermarchelle

I don't usually write reviews on products, but felt the need to do so on this one. I have never used a product that so dramatically accomplished what it said it would. My hair was very, very long and I had it colored. The bleach highlights were left on too long and it was over-processed. Then I had the Perfection by Pravana Smoothing treatment professionally done and my hair felt like straw. It was somehow straight and limp and yet hard and straw-like. I had several strands that were z-shaped all the way down and no amount of conditioner or leave in products or oils would make it soft or unnoticeable. I had already cut 6" from the back and the stylist RAZOR cut my bangs and side layers, making those ends look even frizzier than and just plain horrible. I bought this praying for at least minor improvement, but I was SHOCKED to find that it returned my hair to an even better state than it had been before the over-processing! As soon as I dried my hair, it looked and felt like silk and there was no evidence of fried strands. Even the razored edges of my bangs and side layers looked soft and smooth. I cannot recommend this product enough. I agree that the protein treatment (step 1) is very watery and would be better in a spray bottle, but other than that, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this product. I love it!!