September 2, 2014 | 1737 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by skipbeat

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's a pretty good tinted moisturizer. It's a little bit too light for my skintone, but the difference isn't ghastly. It's easy to apply and blend in, and it makes my skin look soft and kind of smooth. It has a pretty sheer coverage, but is buildable if needed. Hasn't broken me out, so I'm happy :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by lankika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a great paraben-free tinted moisturizer. It provides a light medium coverage, and blends in well into the skin. You only need a little amount at a time, so the bottle should last a long time. The texture and coverage is not as heavy as Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer and not as light as Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer. Btw, both those contain parabens.

The only problem is the limited shade range. The Light shade is around NC 15-20, the Light/Medium is around NC 30-35, and the Medium is around NC 37-40. That’s it, there are no other shades darker or lighter. This is a very limited shade range.

I have this in Medium and it works well with my winter skintone. The BalmShelter Medium has more of a yellow undertone. Although it is not enough of a yellow undertone for me, the tinted moisturizer manages to blend in nicely with my skin. However, I doubt I could use this product without looking ashy with my summer tan.

Currently the shade Medium is no longer sold on Sephora.com but is sold on TheBalm’s website, and I found Medium at London Drugs (Canada). BalmShelter is a 2.25 oz tube for $25, and that alone beats (granted if you can find a shade that matches you) the popular Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer which is only 1.5 oz for $42.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 11:29:00 PM More reviews by aley7507

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I'm in love with this product! Prior to finding this little jem, I didn't go anywhere without my Revision Intellishade SPF 45 Original-Tinted Moisturizer. My stylist introduced me to TheBalm Tinted Moisturizer (Medium) to freshen up my face, after a beautiful color & cut. I was in love with the light, natural coverage. Although, I was happy with Revision Intellishade, I prefer The Balm because it's lighter, had a more natural finish, & cost less. I'm 100% hooked! :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by xoxolove

I was nervous to try this on from the reviews I have read. Most were positive, but the ones that stuck out the most were the ones that talked about how one ingredient causes my acne to go cray. I'm very careful about the products I use on my face, because I can easily get pimples.

However, when I used this product, it felt really light and gave great coverage. I apply it with my Laura Mercier concealer and it looks just as good as if I were applying Bare Escentuals. I really like how it moisturizes my face, because even though I'm combination, my face tends to dry out a lot during the winter. I'm not sure if I would wear this during the summer, because I get really oily then. I guess I'll find out when the weather gets hotter (if there's still some left).

My face didn't really break out from this product..it seems normal, and I have used this for almost a week now. I guess it just depends on your skin type.

I would definitely buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 2:38:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

UPDATE: I am about half way through the tube and I've gotten to love it even more, as if that was possible!! It just goes on so beautifully but it provides very this beautiful diffusing yet light and natural coverage. I wear this nearly everyday, especially on my long days when I get up at 5 and get home at 10. No other product I have tried will look good on me for that long but this. It looks just as good at 10 as it did at 5 in the morning and I do not set it with powder!! I've come to find that light/medium is a bit dark for me and when I finish this I'll buy it in Light instead. I am at about NC25 at the moment b/c no sun. Also, this is very buildable and you can definitely put on more if you want more coverage. I put this on a friend of mine and she loves it to death too now and went out to buy it. This tm is absolutely magical, a definite HG times a million and I'll never stop using it as long as they make it!!!

I was pleasantly surprised by how good this product is. This is a very light weight tinted moisturizer with very light coverage. I am sure it could be built up but I prefer the light coverage, hence why I am using a TM. I've used the very popular Laura Mercier TM before and also liked it, but I like this much better. For one, LM has more coverage, I would say it has the coverage of a light/medium coverage foundation. Second, unlike BalmShelter, it feels and looks like a light foundation. BalmShelter goes on light, spreads and blends effortlessly with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush (Love!). It does not feel like foundation at all, it actually feels like you just got moisturizer on. As far as coverage goes, it does make my skin look overall more even, which is what I am looking for. It does not hide noticeable marks, scars, blemishes, etc. My skin has been pretty good lately so on days that I don't care to wear MU, I throw this on. I really don't like to go out w/o any makeup these days. I just cover anything that needs to be covered w/ concealer and I set the whole thing with powder.

I find that this foundation looks better as I wear it throughout the day. I use the shade Light/Medium and I am about NC30 and EDM Winged Butter is a perfect match for me. I fnd that Light/Medium matches well enough but it's not perfect. In certain lightly, it seems not yellow enough and a bit too pink but mostly, its a decent match. I should also point out that I am extremely acne-prone and currently using BP&AHA or RAM and this does not irritate my skin or break me out. I also find that compared to my normal foundation, which is EDM Intensive Formula, this leaves my skin feeling much more hydrated at the end of the day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2011 2:32:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I also got this from TJ Maxx which I am grateful for because I would have never known or used it if not for buying it so cheap. I was scared that the color would be too orange, like many foundations and tinted moisturizers, and I am very yellow. The color appears beige, slight grey undertone, and then it warms up slightly. Since it is a tinted moisturizer it does not have a lot of coverage and blends easily. What I enjoy most about it is that it dries and does not need to be set with powder. I bought a back up soon after so I would recommend trying it and see myself using it for a while. Not my favorite tinted moisturizer but definitely one of my favorites.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2011 1:11:00 PM More reviews by carissarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm so happy to say that I purchased this (along with many other 'TheBalm' products) at Tj Maxx for $9.99. This is hands down, the best tinted moisturizer I've ever used. You get a lot of product for your money, which is nice. I have it in the lightest shade. A little goes a very long way, just a dime sized amount is good enough to cover your whole face and then some. The reason why I love this is because of the coverage. I have far from perfect skin, hyperpigmentation due to past acne and still suffer from the occasional breakout here and there. This stuff works like a charm at giving me an excellent medium coverage finish. I use any type of foundation brush to apply it, think MAC 187 or Sonia Kashuk flat top brush. If I apply it with my fingers, the coverage is less. Since my skin is oily, the ONLY foundation that truly lasts all day is Revlon Colorstay, everything else I need to touch up around the 6th hour or so. No worries, just a little face powder dusted over this not only gives me more coverage, but makes it last longer. I'd say on it's own it will last me 5-6 hours until I start looking a little shiny. To be honest, I haven't touched any other foundation in the past month or two because of how much I love this. I even went back to TJ Maxx and snagged another tube (luckily) so I wouldn't have to shell out full price for this anytime in the next few years, lol. This stuff will seriously last me a lifetime! Highly recommend.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am very pleased with this. I normally wear powder foundation, but wanted to get a TM for around the house, traveling and other circumstances where a "full face" just doesn't seem right.

BalmShelter is everything I want in a TM. It feels very light on, not makeup-y at all. It blends in nicely, doesn't just sit on top of the skin. I got it in lightest shade and it matches almost seamlessly against my fair skin (I think the shade is very versatile). It has color to it; the color is sheer, but it is not invisible (like the Neutrogena TM). It gives a "your skin but better" look overall. Semi-dewy finish, not matte (but I guess that is standard for TMs). I put this on, with just a little concealer on blemishes, and my skin looked even and natural. It didn't cover up my freckles (a good thing) or look obvious at all. Not orange, doesn't oxidize. Lasts for many hours. One caveat: don't use on the eye area, as the SPF can cause minor stinging/tearing (though to a far lesser extent than many SPF face products).

I use my fingers to apply this, and do only a very thin layer. I think you could build up the coverage a little if you wanted to. Makes skin feel very soft. Weightless on.
I'm happy with the tube packaging, feel like I got a good amount of product for my money (price was reasonable) and appreciate that it has SPF. I still use my normal moisturizer, but this does feel quite nice on my skin.

Update: I used this with a powder sunscreen every day for 10 days on vacation in a tropical place. It looked good and didn't cause me any skin problems (blemishes, irritation, etc.) whatsoever. I really recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Miggi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After years of searching for the perfect tinted moisturiser, I can now say that I have found it! I purchased light/medium and it's perfect for my skin tone. Gives a very natural polished look to the skin, and as the previous reviewer mentioned, it does help cover the dark circles (won't cover them however if they are extremely dark) I don't even need to use concealer anymore. In winter, I found that this alone was not enough, so I used my vitacreme B12 underneath and it works great together. This tinted moisturizer comes in a plastic tube which is hygienic and makes it easy to squeeze out the right amount. It is very smooth on application and not greasy at all. This is my HG tinted moisturizer. Love TheBalm Shelter.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by Mrs15Heb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG tinted moisturizer. I have it in light-medium and it is perfect for my skin. It feels like a light-weight foundation but the pigment or whatever the color of it is somehow really manages to cover redness extremely well and even helps with undereye circles. I can get away with using my garnier anti-dark circle roller under eyes (and any touches of concealer on blemishes) and this over and just powder/bronzer/blush and i look like i have perfect skin and like I'm not wearing foundation. I have combo,sensitive, acne-prone skin leaning towards being flakey and dry. This TM is very moisturizing and although I do use it over a primer, I believe I could get away with putting it on my bare skin if in a hurry. I love that it is in a squeeze tube, it is easy to control the amount. I like to apply thiis with a stippling brush over my fingers just my personal preference, I feel like fingers just don't give the smoothest finish...I only use about a dime/nickel size amount and I just dab a few dots on any areas of my face that need the most coverage and then using my stippling brush I just swirl it all over, it blends in seamlessly and is so comfortable to wear. I reallly love this TM!
UPDATE: CONTAINS ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE (among other highly comodegenic ingredients) - HIGHLY COMODEGENIC = BREAKS ME OUT LIKE CRAZY AND CLOGS PORES! (reference, www.cosdna.com)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No