Boots Mattifying Make-up Base

3.1

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am really on the fence about this primer, if that's what you want to call it. This is more of a mattifier than anything else. It kept me oil free for a good 5 hours before I had to blot, and without using this product I am oily within a half hour or so. This stuff is super thick and very hard to blend evenly. It disappears into the skin almost instantly and leaves a very dry feeling to my skin. It doesn't fill in any pores and does not make a smooth application for makeup. I like that it does keep me matte for a long time, but this to me is not a primer. I have only used it for several days now and have not noticed any breakouts yet, but I will monitor and then edit this if I do. With oily and acne prone skin it is nearly impossible to find a primer. They either make me more oily or cause me to breakout like crazy. I hope this isn't the best of the best for my skin type, so I am still on the hunt for that HG primer!!!!!
Update: It`s been 1 week of use. This product has not made me break out so this product is ok by me :) Still no primer, but amazing at keeping ,me matte. If it doesn`t break me out I like it, so I`ll continue using this.

on 12/28/2008 9:16:00 PM

I usually use Bare Minerals Prime Time, but at $22.00 a SMALL bottle, I decided to try and find something a little cheaper. I bought this at Target for $9.99, and thats not bad for the size of the tube. It does feel like a thick sunscreen at first, but I read a review on MUA that said to apply this with a wet makeup sponge, and that definately seemed to help. My makeup looked great all day, and I didnt have to use a lot of this stuff. I would repurchase if I ever run out :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this primer! I have battled super oily skin for years and primers like Smashbox Photo Finish work fine for smooth makeup application but really did nothing for my oily complexion(and it's expensive). I bought this stuff after reading some reviews and was delighted that it works wonders for me. At first I hated it because of the consistency...like super thick sunscreen. But now that I got the hang of it I can't live without it! I put a small amount on my fingers and rub it a little to spread it then apply to my entire face quickly(dries super fast). Like the other reviewers have said it's important to let your moisturizer dry before applying this product. I use this everyday before applying my Bare Minerals foundation and it keeps me oil free all day long! So I recommend this to anyone who has oily skin just to try, it's only $9.99! Oh and I also have extremely sensitive skin and have had no issues after about 3 weeks of use.

on 10/18/2008 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love this product! It is amazing at controlling oil. During the day I keep this product in my purse and use a small amount and pat (never rub) it on over my make-up. It takes away the shine instantly. Love It and couldn't live without it. :)

on 9/9/2008 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this from Shoppers when it's on sale. It only costs me 10ish CAD. I used it under make up and alone...just love it. I have really really oily skin, I usually can see oil after 2 hrs putting on makeup. This has kept my skin matte for more than 4-6 hours. I also use less blotting papers now. I will definitely buy again.

on 8/20/2008 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Out of all the primer/oil control products I've tried, and I have tried a ton of them, this one is in the lead as far as controlling oil. I do notice that my face takes longer than to reach that oily/shiny appearance when I use this product, as opposed to other oil control products. Lotion type texture with a strange dry feel to it when you are smoothing it on. A small dot of this primer should be enough. It does help extend life of makeup.

on 8/2/2008 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I keep telling myself that primers dont do anything for me, but I am always lured into trying them. the main thing I am looking for in a primer is to fill in my pores, help my makeup stay fresh-looking all day, and control oil. At this point, I've tried a ton of primers and primer-like products from Vincent Longo, Estee Lauder, MAC, Smashbox, and Clinique. Since this one specifically claimed to be mattifying, I figured, what the heck, it's cheap. Now, this is different from other primers I've tried (which are primarily dimethicone based) in that the primary ingredient is hydrated silica. The texture is drier; it feels more like a paste than a cream or gel, and it is thicker than average. To use this effectively, I use my foundation brush to apply it to get a smoother, sheer, even layer. To get it to apply more smoothly and evenly, I mix in a little of my moisturizer to get more "slip"/ I would not recommend using your fingers to apply, and I don't use this in my eye area as I feel it is too drying. On the plus side, I do feel that this stuff effectively fills in my pores and makes my skin look smoother. I did my usual "half face" experiement one day, applying this to one side and not to the other to compare, and I did see a difference between the two halves. (I will mention that I have never seen a real difference in my "half face" experiments with other primers). At the end of the day, however, you couldn't really tell the difference between the two, so the effect is not lasting. As for oil control, I didn't really see any difference in either being able to control oil or the ability to keep my makeup fresher looking as the day goes on. However, of all the primers I've tried, at least with this one I could actually see a difference in how my face looked in the beginning, so it isn't totally useless from my standpoint.

The texture is not very elegant, and it won't leave your face feeling smooth like a dimethicone-based product, but I don't think that is such a negative, since I mainly look for visual, rather than tactile results. However, I probably won't be re-purchasing because although I do see a difference in my face at the beginning of the day, it doesn't last. Moreover, I get no help with oil control, and it's such a hassle to use with the lack of slip you get - the tube is going to get chucked soon because I dread using it . I really should stop buying primers because I've never found one that comes close to meeting my needs, but I just can't help myself. This probably would work for some people, but alas, I am not one of them.

on 7/28/2008 12:13:00 PM

Was going to buy a more expensive primer such as mac of smashbox but decided to try a cheaper vesion first- wish i never wasted my money. Hate the feel of this stuuf and is hard to rub in also tends to cause my foundtion to separate and is hard to apply oh and doesn't stop shine,

on 7/27/2008 1:37:00 PM

I find this product is best used for a day when you'll be running around or attending a special event when you want to look great for pictures. I have found that the trick is to apply it with a damp make-up sponge. When applied dry, it leaves white streaks that are hard to get off. When applied damp and let dry, it makes pores appear smaller and helps my make-up wear longer. Keeps oil away and make-up goes on a little smoother. I usually do a couple of "damp" layers and use a fair amount of product, far more than when I apply it dry.

on 6/14/2008 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product and haven't had any problems with it. It does say in the directions to moisturize first, so that is probably key, and make sure to wait and let your skin absorb the moisturizer before applying the make up base on top. Also you only need a little bit, as other reviews have mentioned.

I use a sunscreen then the make up base on my T-zone, then Boots No7 True Identity Foundation on top. The True Identity Foundation has a lovely silky mousse texture which goes on smoothly and easily over the make up base, no streaking or clumping. The coverage is pretty light, which might not suit everyone, but I like that it is natural-looking.

I have very oily skin and have never even been able to wear foundation before, as it just slides right off in an hour or two, so this product is a life-saver for me. My only quibble with it is that it doesn't save me from having to blot every few hours, but that is probably impossible anyway! It really helps at least keep my oil under control, which is great. Plus it's cheap! I'm on my second tube and will definitely buy it again.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I also use it as an eye-shadow primer on my eyelids. It works better for me than other primers designed specifically for eye-shadow, maybe because my eyelids are oily as well (who knew one could have oily eyelids?!).